ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers - Monmouth?

Yawn. Why play them? Might as well play a Norfolk. It's kinda of a donation to those schools to fund their athletic programs.

Perfectly fine with this. If we have to play these games, rather Monmouth than Norfolk, Howard, etc, Keep it local.
Monmouth is private. Who cares? You're not going to say, "we need to play Princeton in all sports every year except football because they're local and we need to give them some more money."

If Monmouth was a public school, I'd be all for this. A Jersey thing, and all that.
If they already were near our level, I would approve of a local rivalry. Lord knows we could use a rival.

But they are not, and they are not. Pass.

If Monmouth was a public school, I'd be all for this. A Jersey thing, and all that.
If they already were near our level, I would approve of a local rivalry. Lord knows we could use a rival.

But they are not, and they are not. Pass.
Done/

I don't know why I thought the B1G was not allowing anything other than D 1 FBS out of conference games in the future?

Perfectly fine with this. If we have to play these games, rather Monmouth than Norfolk, Howard, etc. Help local schools with local players.
Same destruction. At least with Norfolk and Howard you get to see a good band at halftime.

I find it amusing that some of you have stated that NJ football players should stay home and attend RU because of its their home state and then don't want to play the only the only potential NJ university that RU can play in football.
What's amusing about it?

Reactions: socaldave
Perfectly fine with this. If we have to play these games, rather Monmouth than Norfolk, Howard, etc. Help local schools with local players.

How about NOT playing any of these!?!

If we are going to play FCS games, why not keep it local?

They are also trying to set up games with Maryland and PSU as well.

Reactions: G- RUnit
How is it different than playing Norfolk State or Howard?

I don't care one way or the other.
If marketed the right way (and not sure why it hasn't been yet) we could look like the good guy here.

A Monmouth type school doesn't need us (nor do we need them) but the MEAC and SWAC schools do need that injection of $$$ now and then from a payday game with a P5 opponent.

Last edited:
This is a no-win game for us. If we crush them, who cares we're supposed to. If we win a close game or lose, it's a disaster for us. Why also legitimize their recruiting? There could be some recruits we hold for end of the class or as preferred walk-ons that could consider Monmouth if they play a big team or two. Who needs them?

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
If you are going to play a 1AA team you should play the worst possible ones you can find. Monmouth has the chance to become a legit 1AA program. It's a lose lose for us

if you are scared of some FCS (not named NDS) then we are in worse shape than I thought.
Last year 3 FCS teams beat Power 5 teams in week 1 alone. I think you probably don't know much about FCS football.

Last year 3 FCS teams beat Power 5 teams in week 1 alone. I think you probably don't know much about FCS football.

None of them were named MU.

I don't think you understand much about their program.

There are different levels of FCS. MU is at near the bottom of the upper tier. which they just move to a couple years back.

Play them and crush them. A lot of players on these 1aa teams are angry and think they got snubbed by Rutgers out of high school . Show them exactly why they weren't recruited by us.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
None of them were named MU.

I don't think you understand much about their program.

There are different levels of FCS. MU is at near the bottom of the upper tier. which they just move to a couple years back.
I know exactly what type of program they are. They beat Howard last year 59-27.
Would we ever lose to them? Most likely not. However, there is no reason to schedule a team that has the potential to improve. Last year they lost to Kent state 27-7 and it was only 13-0 at half. We would have most likely lost to Kent state last season.

I know exactly what type of program they are. They beat Howard last year 59-27.
Would we ever lose to them? Most likely not. However, there is no reason to schedule a team that has the potential to improve. Last year they lost to Kent state 27-7 and it was only 13-0 at half. We would have most likely lost to Kent state last season.

Hopefully we would be improving as well. The 1st opening that we have is in 2020. We SHOULD be a lot better by then. They are not suppose to be able to catch up to us, if they do we are in deep, deep trouble.

Talking about maybe - maybe 10+ years in the future ... and talking in carefully couched terms of "possible" ... "could"
what this really was = a coach having a very hypothetical dialog intended to apply some 'substance' and 'credibility' to the program that he is trying to develop ...
much like he indicated that the impact of having 2 Monmouth players do well in the NFL "created a lot of invaluable public relations regarding Monmouth"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT