ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers - Monmouth?

Double standards or hypocrisy used to tick me off. But it has become the norm in society (and especially politics), so I am amused by it now.

It is one thing to argue against playing FCS schools and I have no issue if this is your primary reason for not wanting to play Monmouth. I've never been a fan of these games because it's like an NFL preseason game. Your ticked off if the starters are still on the field after the first series of the second half. It is the type of game where you can only be disappointed.

But if we're good with FCS games, why would anyone prefer Morgan State, Howard, or Norfolk State over Monmouth and then expect Jersey kids to "stay home to play for RU"? There are 53 players from Jersey on Monmouth's roster this year. Or does it not matter because they weren't good enough players for RU? Some RU players will play against friends and / or former teammates in this game which is unlikely playing a different FCS school.

Or is it that we are afraid to lose to Monmouth?
I don't think we would lose, but there might be years when it is a real game, not a scrimmage like the MEAC schools. Like I said above why would you want to play a game with 53 Jersey kids with a grudge on their shoulders because they were deemed not good enough to play for their state school. It is just not about winning the game, it is about not exposing our key players to cheap shots and needless injuries. The MEAC schools are harmless, why go in this direction is beyond me.

But if we're good with FCS games, why would anyone prefer Morgan State, Howard, or Norfolk State over Monmouth and then expect Jersey kids to "stay home to play for RU"?
I am missing why we should give a rat's patootie about the kids playing for Monmouth. Or Montclair State. Or William Paterson.

So how good is Monmouth's marching band? Can they stack up to the Howard Showtime Band and the Ooh La La Girls?

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
m_I19F00.jpeg

Double standards or hypocrisy used to tick me off. But it has become the norm in society (and especially politics), so I am amused by it now.

But if we're good with FCS games, why would anyone prefer Morgan State, Howard, or Norfolk State over Monmouth and then expect Jersey kids to "stay home to play for RU"? There are 53 players from Jersey on Monmouth's roster this year. Or does it not matter because they weren't good enough players for RU? Some RU players will play against friends and / or former teammates in this game which is unlikely playing a different FCS school.

Or is it that we are afraid to lose to Monmouth?
No double standard here as I like what we do with the HBCU schools. If we were still doing this I would prefer playing a MEAC and/or SWAC school in the Paul Robeson Classic every year.

And as I mentioned earlier in the thread they need a game against us or another P5 school more than a Monmouth does.

But not sure where you're getting your thing about NJ kids staying home to play for Rutgers? What does one have to do with the other?

Last edited:
Reactions: BLewis1968
I don't mind whatsoever playing historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) every other year as well, they still play most of the SEC teams.That would totally work.

Now in MBB, there is no reason why Rutgers should play all of the D1 NJ schools.

If we are willing to play the best one in SHU, we shouldn't have a problem with the rest or at least Princeton every year.

Reactions: G- RUnit
Now in MBB, there is no reason why Rutgers should play all of the D1 NJ schools.

If we are willing to play the best one in SHU, we shouldn't have a problem with the rest or at least Princeton every year.
I have stated the same on the Basketball Board for years.

But other than Princeton and SHU the game against everybody else should always be at the RAC.

And I have no problem with alternating RU-N and RU-C as the opener or opening scrimmage. Wisky used to something similar.

I don't mind whatsoever playing historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) every other year as well, they still play most of the SEC teams.That would totally work.

I'll allow it.

This is a no-win game for us. If we crush them, who cares we're supposed to. If we win a close game or lose, it's a disaster for us. Why also legitimize their recruiting? There could be some recruits we hold for end of the class or as preferred walk-ons that could consider Monmouth if they play a big team or two. Who needs them?
If we're in danger of losing recruits to Monmouth then we might as well wrap this up.

I am missing why we should give a rat's patootie about the kids playing for Monmouth. Or Montclair State. Or William Paterson.

So how good is Monmouth's marching band? Can they stack up to the Howard Showtime Band and the Ooh La La Girls?

They're like the B1G East of halftime shows.
Grambling, Southern & FAMU would be the SEC, I guess.

Guys on here live with this constant fear of things going bad. The analyzing of things to a comical level. You are men, this is football - just attack and beat whoever is in front of you. Monmouth, texas or Alabama.. stop looking at the business side of every decision and just compete (you know, like sports are supposed to be about)

yes we should play Monmouth. If we are going to have a paid game why not one with local flare that helps an area school where we may have friends and relatives as attendees / alumni.

Financially it will help too since Monmouth would probably bring 3-5k fans to a game that we would struggle to sell out. On a nice warm Sept Saturday not too many fans are going to want to go to see Norfolk St or Howard when they can have BBQs outside and just watch on tv. It ends up being a giveaway game for youth programs, ems, teachers, or other special interest groups. if we lose $30 a ticket for 5000 tickets with giveaways then we lost $150k plus possible concessions and other income streams.

It only doesn't matter who we play if we get good enough again where the stadium is sold out with season tickets.

Why not a bigger agreement with Monmouth:
- 4 football games at Rutgers over 10 years
- annual match-up for a number of sports (Soccer, baseball, softball, basketball, tennis, golf, etc...)

yes we should play Monmouth. If we are going to have a paid game why not one with local flare that helps an area school where we may have friends and relatives as attendees / alumni.

Financially it will help too since Monmouth would probably bring 3-5k fans to a game that we would struggle to sell out. On a nice warm Sept Saturday not too many fans are going to want to go to see Norfolk St or Howard when they can have BBQs outside and just watch on tv. It ends up being a giveaway game for youth programs, ems, teachers, or other special interest groups. if we lose $30 a ticket for 5000 tickets with giveaways then we lost $150k plus possible concessions and other income streams.

It only doesn't matter who we play if we get good enough again where the stadium is sold out with season tickets.

Why not a bigger agreement with Monmouth:
- 4 football games at Rutgers over 10 years
- annual match-up for a number of sports (Soccer, baseball, softball, basketball, tennis, golf, etc...)
All for your last part if all the games in all sports are here.

And the financial thing is more of a do good and altruistic thing for us since the MEAC and SWAC programs need the money much more than a private school like a Monmouth. A school with two of their own over the road coach buses is in obviously better shape than I think a lot of you realize.

All for your last part if all the games in all sports are here.

And the financial thing is more of a do good and altruistic thing for us since the MEAC and SWAC programs need the money much more than a private school like a Monmouth. A school with two of their own over the road coach buses is in obviously better shape than I think a lot of you realize.

I would give them a 3 for 1...Why not? And I can't believe some of our fans afraid of playing them. They have a pretty good team for their level and a lot of NJ kids that didn't get to come to Rutgers or ANY OTHER P5 or G5 school. They shouldn't have a chip on their shoulder and if they did, that chip doesnt win games when your whole team is just a step behind.
I think it would have the opposite effect. Create good will in NJ.

I would give them a 3 for 1...Why not? And I can't believe some of our fans afraid of playing them. They have a pretty good team for their level and a lot of NJ kids that didn't get to come to Rutgers or ANY OTHER P5 or G5 school. They shouldn't have a chip on their shoulder and if they did, that chip doesnt win games when your whole team is just a step behind.
I think it would have the opposite effect. Create good will in NJ.
A 3-1 with ANY 1AA school for Football?

To quote the great John McEnroe...you can't be serious?

And if you are serious the only chips we're talking about here are the paint ones you have obviously been eating this morning. LOL

Reactions: rurichdog
I'm guessing yesrutgers doesn't realize that Monmouth plays in a glorified high school stadium or he wouldn't have made that suggestion.

Fair enough...you are right, no idea about their stadium or lack of. lol ok- 4 games here!!!

Many of you are missing the point on the OOC schedule. P5 schools all require home and home contracts. The schedule is also about getting home games. Most p5 schools want a 7/5 split between home and away. That can not be achieved unless there are teams willing to come with no return trip. The FCS school achieves that easily. The other 11 games can be about strength of schedule, the FCS game is only about a no strings attached home game and, generally, a win which goes toward bowl eligibility. Whether it is MU or a MEAC school in the end doesn't matter that much.
Since the BIG went to a nine game 5/4 home game rotation getting home games on the years there are 5 conference away games is difficult. That is why the BIG has reconsidered allowing teams to schedule FCS schools on the 5 away game years. Bottom line, FCS games are about a home game, that's it.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
Just stoop playing these MEAC teams . Just look at the scores over te years. That 1 AA league is the worse and I think we have worn out historically black thing. Most teams are mostly black these days. Upgrade the 1AA pool.

Just stoop playing these MEAC teams . Just look at the scores over te years. That 1 AA league is the worse and I think we have worn out historically black thing. Most teams are mostly black these days. Upgrade the 1AA pool.
Zero benefit to it. A. Win is a win and no fan will be excited by any 1AA Opponent. You don't want to risk being one of the 3-4 teams to lost to 1AA each year.

We should be playing schools that are regional like Villanova, Monmouth, and Delaware. If we can't beat these teams then we don't deserve to go to a bowl. It is not like we are scheduling North Dakota St or E Washington who are FCS powerhouses. Even so we should beat them too as a Power 5 team.

As a casual fan if Rutgers plays a local team I may tune in vs a MEAC team where I have zero connection or interest.

Now financially:
- we probably are not selling out right now so this will help us sell out tickets to local fans
- for fans with tickets who don't want to attend a 1AA game they can more easily find someone to buy the tickets from them
- when there is greater in person capacity Rutgers makes more on parking, concessions, and souvenirs
- We may convert a few fans from the other team.

We should petition NCAA to allow us to play Don Bosco every year and have it count as a win. Good way for Ash to build team confidence by playing ball control offense, keeping Don Bosco's offense off the field.

I can see us playing a FCS team again in 2020 and 2022.

Both years our two scheduled OOC games are away games.

Eastern Michigan (who we play this week) will play Monmouth next year.

We should petition NCAA to allow us to play Don Bosco every year and have it count as a win. Good way for Ash to build team confidence by playing ball control offense, keeping Don Bosco's offense off the field.
Why look that far away for an opponent: Piscataway High School is right down the road. Their stadium seats more than Monmouth, plus their band is bigger.

Reactions: RUtom
Zero benefit to it. A. Win is a win and no fan will be excited by any 1AA Opponent. You don't want to risk being one of the 3-4 teams to lost to 1AA each year.

MEAC schools are a glorified scrimmage. But nobody is going to give you credit over beating any 1-AA school. But don't schedule a school who can potentially beat you. We don't need anther New Hampshire debacle. Pitt almost lost to Youngstown State. It's a risk with very little reward. If you win, you're supposed to win because they are FCS. If you lose, you suck. Just beat on MEAC schools.

Reactions: vkj91
MEAC schools are a glorified scrimmage. But nobody is going to give you credit over beating any 1-AA school. But don't schedule a school who can potentially beat you. We don't need anther New Hampshire debacle. Pitt almost lost to Youngstown State. It's a risk with very little reward. If you win, you're supposed to win because they are FCS. If you lose, you suck. Just beat on MEAC schools.

Just like UNLV!... better yet lets just schedule a series with UNLV! No one will complain about a home and home with them.

Since we're at it why not add Princeton at least for the 150th Anniversary? I am all for playing Monmouth and keeping the $$ in NJ. i find it hard to believe that Monmouth can field a more competitive team than Princeton.

Princeton doesn't want to play us in football. They are playing Dartmouth at Yankee stadium.

No Monmouth.....schedule games with small schools in states that helps expand our recruiting....Florida, California, Texas, etc.

Play Monmouth. Much more interesting than MEAC schools. Been there done that. I like helping the locals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT