ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers - Monmouth?

That doesn't appear to be an option. Monmouth more interesting than Norfolk State or Howard.

Why? Because it is a rich-kid school from the shore? RU should be going out of its way to schedule SEC, ACC, B12 and PAC teams...I'm not talking the Bamas and clemsons of the world...but Vandy and NCState and Iowa State and WSU like we did in the past...if you really want to schedule others, there's the AAC or the service academies...but no uconn...never uconn!

RU should be going out of its way to schedule SEC, ACC, B12 and PAC teams...I'm not talking the Bamas and clemsons of the world...but Vandy and NCState and Iowa State and WSU like we did in the past...if you really want to schedule others, there's the AAC or the service academies...but no uconn...never uconn!
Nah.

There are enough other G5 schools (AAC, MAC, C-USA, etc.) much closer for this. As we get the $$$ buy one so we get at least 6 home games. The P5 ones you mention will want a home and home which can throw a monkey wrench into the scheduling mix.

As long as we have one of the top 10 most difficult schedules in the country, and as long as we struggle to get wins on it, I have no problem playing an FCS school once a season. We should schedule winnable FCS opponents willing to take the smallest payouts possible. Monmouth probably checks both of those boxes for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I like the idea of playing them but I must agree with some of the posters there is some very serious risk. A loss will be devastating to the program.

I like the idea of playing them but I must agree with some of the posters there is some very serious risk. A loss will be devastating to the program.

Trolling at its finest, or does not understand the dynamics of FCS football? I can't decide.

Joe P.

I know exactly what type of program they are. They beat Howard last year 59-27.
Would we ever lose to them? Most likely not. However, there is no reason to schedule a team that has the potential to improve. Last year they lost to Kent state 27-7 and it was only 13-0 at half. We would have most likely lost to Kent state last season.

No, we would have destroyed Kent St last year

Playing a school like Monmouth would make more money for Rutgers. First they would probably take less money then say Howard because they wouldn't have the travel expenses. In addition they are going to buy far more tickets then most FCS because of them being local.

Reactions: ruready07
That doesn't appear to be an option. Monmouth more interesting than Norfolk State or Howard.

I don't find playing mom is ("Monmouth" lol...) to be in the least bit interesting. Does absolutely nothing for us IMHO.

Last edited:
I don't find playing mom is to be in the least bit interesting. Does absolutely nothing for us IMHO.
I wouldn't either. But the question is, is it any more interesting than Howard? Ehhhh...I don't really find it any more interesting.

The next possible year Rutgers will play an FCS team is 2021. 2018 and 2019 OOC is already complete. If we continue the pattern of in-conference scheduling, 2020 will have 5 in-conference home games.

While I have no issue playing an FCS game especially if everybody else does, not a fan of playing Monmouth for no other reason than what's the purpose? At least with Howard, Norfolk State the band is entertaining.

The next possible year Rutgers will play an FCS team is 2021. 2018 and 2019 OOC is already complete. If we continue the pattern of in-conference scheduling, 2020 will have 5 in-conference home games.

While I have no issue playing an FCS game especially if everybody else does, not a fan of playing Monmouth for no other reason than what's the purpose? At least with Howard, Norfolk State the band is entertaining.

They stopped bringing their bands and dance teams for a while there.

They stopped bringing their bands and dance teams for a while there.

BTW, I would like to see an agreement with Umass

Ok, so in 2021 we'll be receiving full payment from the B1G. Throw in a little extra money for Howard/Norfolk to bring their band solely for entertainment. These games against the MEAC all start blending together.

Wouldn't mind playing UMass at all.

Why would we want to play a team loaded with kids who are resentful that they are not playing for their state university. Not saying we will lose the game, but there are ways to lose other than on the scoreboard, a couple of cheap shots leading to injuries and a decent season can be blown to hell. And we are talking about Jersey kids, so let's not pretend that wouldn't be a possibility.

Reactions: angmo
I'm glad FCS is back on schedule at least until the money evens up. Right now we had a choice during the time when we have five away conference games, either pay for three home games for as much as $1.5M when we are getting only like $12M from the league or play 6 home games when other teams in our league are playing 7. At least we can get a home game for cheap now.

It's really a no win game which could hurt recruiting. But, it might bring Jersey shore players to the stadium. Why not? Remember, they don't have a Norfolk State type band...

10 years ago, i would have hated this idea......

But, these sort of DII "local-rivalry" games are exactly the sort of games Big Time P5 programs have historically played.....

The more I think about it, the more I like it......

While I've alway liked our approach of playing HBCU where possible/appropriate... I haven't liked our need to take "any random FCS school we can find" when needed. More "semi-local"/"semi-rivialry" is a good thing.

Frankly, I love the idea Monmouth would play us, but Princeton would never make the effort to ask for a waiver......

How often do we have only 4 conference home games?…probably a dumb question.
Can I assume every odd year.
every other year, should be the even years if the conference doesn't change things around. 4 home, 5 road since we play 9 conference games.

every other year, should be the even years if the conference doesn't change things around. 4 home, 5 road since we play 9 conference games.

We're playing 4 home games and 5 road games in conference this year and it's an odd year. Next year, an even year, we're playing 5 home games

I believe in Nick Saban's scheduling philosophy. He suggested that P5 teams exclusively play other P5 teams. Rutgers playing Monmouth U. would be intriguing at best.

Last edited:
DIAA opponents should be schools we played often in the past. Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate etc. At least there is tradition playing them, something lacking from our schedule

I don't really care for these games. Nobody really seems to care about them and the injury potential is always there. Really hurts to lose a player to a lower league team.

I find it amusing that some of you have stated that NJ football players should stay home and attend RU because of its their home state and then don't want to play the only the only potential NJ university that RU can play in football.
What's amusing about it?
I'd like to know too.
Me three!

Double standards or hypocrisy used to tick me off. But it has become the norm in society (and especially politics), so I am amused by it now.

It is one thing to argue against playing FCS schools and I have no issue if this is your primary reason for not wanting to play Monmouth. I've never been a fan of these games because it's like an NFL preseason game. Your ticked off if the starters are still on the field after the first series of the second half. It is the type of game where you can only be disappointed.

But if we're good with FCS games, why would anyone prefer Morgan State, Howard, or Norfolk State over Monmouth and then expect Jersey kids to "stay home to play for RU"? There are 53 players from Jersey on Monmouth's roster this year. Or does it not matter because they weren't good enough players for RU? Some RU players will play against friends and / or former teammates in this game which is unlikely playing a different FCS school.

Or is it that we are afraid to lose to Monmouth?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT