ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers rapidly is losing ground in the NIL battle with other Big Ten schools, and critics — including people on the inside — believe the Scarlet…

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Rutgers rapidly is losing ground in the NIL battle with other Big Ten schools, and critics — including people on the inside — believe the Scarlet Knights might never be able to compete

Rutgers rapidly is losing ground in the NIL battle with other Big Ten schools, and critics — including people on the inside — believe the Scarlet Knights might never be able to compete

I assume this is about football, not basketball (i.e., the program that landed the #2 and #3 nationally ranked recruit).

I'm not going to click on the link but I'd like to know the basis for the article. Just last week folks here posted that NIL here must actually be doing a lot better than expected, as evidenced by all of the returning players / low numbers of players going to the portal. So, if there's little in the way of NIL, does that mean that Coach is getting all of this done with his sparkling personality?

I'm not going to click on the link but I'd like to know the basis for the article. Just last week folks here posted that NIL here must actually be doing a lot better than expected, as evidenced by all of the returning players / low numbers of players going to the portal. So, if there's little in the way of NIL, does that mean that Coach is getting all of this done with his sparkling personality?
Article says Rutgers NIL fund is around $2M. Maryland is around 4M while Michigan State, Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin are above $5 million. Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State are all over $7 million.
Article said RU was slow to put together NIL foundation and Hobbs isn’t doing enough.

And yet- we somehow found a way to keep all of our starters here on the banks- most of them were most likely offered NIL to transfer elsewhere.
While it may be true we are not going to offer kids multi 7 figure deals- we have figured out somthing.

Article says Rutgers NIL fund is around $2M. Maryland is around 4M while Michigan State, Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin are above $5 million. Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State are all over $7 million.
Article said RU was slow to put together NIL foundation and Hobbs isn’t doing enough.

lol, shocker, other than Maryland, those programs have huge followings compared to us. How do we compare to Purdue, Illinois, Minny, NW, Indiana? Those are the schools with comparable fan bases for football.

lol, shocker, other than Maryland, those programs have huge followings compared to us. How do we compare to Purdue, Illinois, Minny, NW, Indiana? Those are the schools with comparable fan bases for football.
Of those schools only Indiana was mentioned and it said around $3M

I'm sure there is likely more that we can do in the way raising funds. But, we're likely not the worst program in FBS. And, like others here posted, we're a bit on the lower end of average for the teams in our neighborhood (i.e. IU only has $1M more? Ok .. not exactly enough to warrant an article.).

So, I'd instead write an article that says, "Rutgers Lagging a Bit. More To Do."

What’s the source of info of how much each school has. I’ve said it’s all opaque and who really knows what’s true or not and that’s for parties that are involved as well.

I agree that Rutgers hasn't embraced the NIL concept like other teams maybe due to our donations. The article sounds just like what most posters on the board believe. They basically get all their articles from this board with so many negative posters.

Also keep in mind that these numbers are not public since NIL are not part of the school funding and are private funds. So I don’t know how accurate these numbers are. They relied on anonymous sources.

And he keeps trying to tie NIL to the athletic department budget. I'm not saying this isn't a problem, but he seemed to be going all out to accentuate the negative. And did Hobbs piss in his Wheaties? He seems to be faulting him for not cheating when we all know that if he got caught his next article would be condemning him for lack of integrity.

Not clicking on it, but was there any reliable sources cited for those figures?

NJ.COM hit piece timed to release the day after national signing day.

At this point, how much more evidence do any RU sports fans need to join a boycott of NJ.COM?
NJ.com and the Star Ledger are owned by the Newhouses who are supporters of Syracuse. Newhouses gave $75million to Syracuse for academics (School of Public Communications) a few years ago. While Fran is an excellent recruiter and I hope he succeeds, consider the deep Newhouse pockets when you see the high level recruits now arriving. Oh, and it is most interesting timing the Star Ledger writes a piece that says not only is RU at a deficit but "may never be able to compete". But sure, keep buying and clicking on NJ.com, by all means.

NIL is the new reality of college athletics

Hobbs has done a great job building facilities and fundraising, but he's really dropped the ball here in regard to NIL

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Oh good. Let's let NJ.com rile up the fans and the masses and have us turn on and/or get rid of one of the best ADs we have had in our history, just like they did with one of the other best ADs we had in our history, Robert Mulcahy. F NJ.com, those effing scumbag click whore troublemakers. They can kiss my Scarlet ass.

Oh good. Let's let NJ.com rile up the fans and the masses have us turn on and/or get rid of one of the best ADs we have had in our history, just like they did with one of the other best ADs we had in our history, Robert Mulcahy. F NJ.com, those effing scumbag click whore troublemakers. They can kiss my Scarlet ass.
I'm no fan of NJ.com, but this article is spot on

Absent of a full buy in from the fanbase (highly unlikely given our partly history of donating) or a whale donor stepping up, this needs to come from businesses & corporations around the tri-state area, if we're ever going to compete NIL wise at an elite level
The windmills killed all the whales in/near NJ. I blame @newell138 for not acting fast enough to stop that stuff. 😁

Whale GIF

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
I stand by every word.
And you have no idea what is going on for sure.
Correct, I don't

But those that do (2 dozen in the athletic dept and 8 more in the know) aren't confident in the direction we're going

Further, the article stated that other AD's, in conference, are doing more (much more) than Hobbs

I give credit where it's due and call out whomever when improvement needs to be made. Objectively, Hobbs has been ultra conservative (I'm being kind) in his approach (or lack thereof) of NIL

Reactions: koleszar
They have enough to retain but not enough for the portal. They just lost Wigenton to Illinois because of money and that kid didn’t even cost that much. Love Hobbs but he really needs to step up his efforts in the NIL game. He’s barely visible and taking a hands off approach while others are going full steam ahead.

Oh good. Let's let NJ.com rile up the fans and the masses and have us turn on and/or get rid of one of the best ADs we have had in our history, just like they did with one of the other best ADs we had in our history, Robert Mulcahy. F NJ.com, those effing scumbag click whore troublemakers. They can kiss my Scarlet ass.
When RU FB starts showing improvement expect the Star Liar to look for ways to rain on the parade.
No one should want the their local media to be blind faith followers, but the local rag shouldn't sound more like RU's opponents favorite media source either.

This.

I love all the NIL chicken littles.

Let’s see, blue blood schools like UM, OSU, psu get all the best players, wins and money and 80% of the rest of CFB programs get the scraps? Shocker!! We’ve only seen this for about…oh…100 years, lol.

Meet your new landscape…same as your old landscape…

I think the article does accurately depict the NIL issue and impact specifically for RU. It does have a bit of a negative slant toward the AD but includes his responses. I still get the SL delivered and keep up with things on NJ.com. I read the articles and listen to the sports podcast with Politi, Fonseca and Lanni. Overall their coverage of RU sports is extensive and more positive than not. For example, the recent Harper BB commitment received two consecutive days of large front page articles in the SL. Obviously, if a team is losing or there is a problem or legal issue it is going to be reported as it should be. It is a news organization not a cheerleading squad.

Reactions: Knight Shift
They have enough to retain but not enough for the portal. They just lost Wigenton to Illinois because of money and that kid didn’t even cost that much. Love Hobbs but he really needs to step up his efforts in the NIL game. He’s barely visible and taking a hands off approach while others are going full steam ahead.
This
If our AD doesn’t channel his efforts into addressing the NIL budget we wi fall further behind.

Reactions: koleszar
Where was this article Pre-NIL regarding private donations directly to the ADs?

Isn't that a much bigger historical discrepancy but nobody ever seems to call for change or regulation around that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT