ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers / Seton Hall back on -- Dec. 12th

No plum, not a bad comparison. We are the major university in New Jersey. We are in the Big Ten. It doesn’t matter at all what Seton Hall has done in the past. Take a poll in Davenport, Iowa and see if anyone has ever heard of the school. It sounds like the name of a dorm or maybe some place you can rent out on the weekends to hold a flea market. What the heck, why doesn’t our football team play a game at Kean or our basketball team play at Georgian Court. I am so sick of our fans living in the past. We are a major university in the state, in the country, and in the world. Start acting like it. Unless we are getting two games in a row down the line, very disappointed in Hobbs caving to them.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Total putz move on our part giving SHU our scheduled home game after they chose to cancel theirs. That said, I’m already over it.

Seton Hall's position is totally reasonable. They shouldn't have ducked us last year, but they didn't want to play us without their homecourt fans during COVID in a rivalry game. But neither side seemed to prioritize making the game happen last year. Seton Hall doesn't want to play the game 2x in a row at the RAC now. Totally reasonable. So we extended the contract so that both sides still get the same number of home games. Nobody loses. I don't see what the drama is about. I think Politi is just trying to stir everyone up.

Kudos to Hobbs for just getting on with it.

Just beat the hell out of them on the court and move on. All of you posturing are wasting your breath.

So much silliness. Both teams will get the same number of home games with a full crowd. Nobody is the big winner or loser. Some of you would cut off your own noses to prove a point to your face.
Yes the extra year was added (to '27 from '26) to the current series contract so it's fine in the big picture. But shoe still wussed out last year.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
I am in the middle of the road on this one. I think the game benefits both programs (we can argue about which school/program benefits more). However, SHU did not handle this well last year. I get they did not want to lose a big payday (I don't think they were afraid of losing the game, but were absolutely afraid of losing the gate) but they should have been aboveboard on pushing the series out. Had they been open and honest with RU I think the series would likely have been delayed for the COVID year with minimal fuss.

So I do think RU should get something out of SHU just on principle due to SHU's reported behavior. Were I Hobbs I might have insisted on 2021 at RU as contracted and given SHU two home games in a row in 2022 and 2023 and then back to alternating.

With agreeing to this year's game at the Pru, do we know Hobbs got nothing? At a minimum RU should have insisted on raising the curtain for all the remaining games in the series at the Pru; I don't care if nobody is up there, they should be compelled to make those seats available with some reasonable minimum of concession stands open. They could think of it as penance for bad behavior.

My guess is Hobbs felt the PR hit Rutgers would get by ending the series with the Hall over making Seton Hall honor the contract between teams in full would not be worth having the media claim RU was the petty one and possibly lose some support for the program because of the way the media would be reporting the reason series ending.

Seton Hall didn't give a damm about keeping it's word and knew Rutgers would be the one that looked petty over holding out to keep the scheduled home game and the Hall would look like a victim of Rutgers pettiness gaining sympathy over the issue and be the darlings of NJ's media while Rutgers would be looked on as a bully that little ol Hall stood up to.

When it comes to media coverage, it seems like the slightest look of wrongdoing has the media all over Rutgers like it started the bubonic plague making it an issue for as long as they can hold the public's intreast
Let Seton Hall do the same and the media gives it little notice and moves on quickly because they know: when it comes to what the Hall does, very few in New Jersey really cares

Reactions: cm_13 and RUChoppin
My guess is Hobbs felt the PR hit Rutgers would get by ending the series with the Hall over making Seton Hall honor the contract between teams in full would not be worth having the media claim RU was the petty one and possibly lose some support for the program because of the way the media would be reporting the reason series ending.

Seton Hall didn't give a damm about keeping it's word and knew Rutgers would be the one that looked petty over holding out to keep the scheduled home game and the Hall would look like a victim of Rutgers pettiness gaining sympathy over the issue and be the darlings of NJ's media while Rutgers would be looked on as a bully that little ol Hall stood up to.

When it comes to media coverage, it seems like the slightest look of wrongdoing has the media all over Rutgers like it started the bubonic plague making it an issue for as long as they can hold the public's intreast
Let Seton Hall do the same and the media gives it little notice and moves on quickly because they know: when it comes to what the Hall does, very few in New Jersey really cares
This 1000%.....while RU can claim to be 100% within their rights to "not play", RU is the bigger fish or media story that will draw the attention, if it's not played. This game not being played last year because SHU canceled, didn't register a blip anywhere. It shows importance or who stands where within the state, and that is 100% RU, not SHU.

This 1000%.....while RU can claim to be 100% within their rights to "not play", RU is the bigger fish or media story that will draw the attention, if it's not played. This game not being played last year because SHU canceled, didn't register a blip anywhere. It shows importance or who stands where within the state, and that is 100% RU, not SHU.
Who in the media other than Jerry Carino do you think even cares about this game?

I'm not gonna apologize about being unhinged on this response. Some of you are serious pussies (yeah I said it) on this situation,.

THEY canceled not us.
Want to add it to the "contract" do it at the end. ( your freakin pain in the ass in-laws didn't come over for the Holidays this year so next year is their turn again? lol).
We're the State University of New Jersey. Not SHU.
We're in the Big. Any other school in our conference doing this?

This BBall program needs to grow some freakin balls.
Decisions have consequences ..
Sorry, F Seton Hall. We didn't need your Ass last year to make the tourney so we can do it without you this year too.

Fire away.
Sure, I'll fire away...

You went easy on them. For decades SHU voted with the Providence Mob and the Catholics to keep Big East football down and destroyed the conference. After cancelling last year that should have been that. No more games with them.. PERIOD.

Check out all the OOC games they chose to play..

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Sure, I'll fire away...

You went easy on them. For decades SHU voted with the Providence Mob and the Catholics to keep Big East football down and destroyed the conference. After cancelling last year that should have been that. No more games with them.. PERIOD.

Check out all the OOC games they chose to play..
agree in a way.
Seton Hall gave up a home game and now wants it back. and their Boo Hoo worked
Rutgers should have offered to give it back at the end of contract period, not this year when it is Rutgers turn to host..
But since the media could turn on RU and not the sole-less Shoe , Hobbs didn't want the Media attacking Rutgers over not playing and gave in to the SHU AD to have the Pebble host
the game.
When the Hall plays at the Rock it should be called that because when it comes to influence there, those Heels don't have a piece of the Rock and have a Pebble standing when it comes to scheduling at that venue.

I think the series is worthwhile and worth saving.
Hobbs probably felt that too and knew if it ended the blame would fall on Rutgers and a scandal would been made of Rutgers refusing to play unless it was at the RAC this year.
Even though game was contractually obligated to be played at the RAC in 2021, that would have been conveniently overlooked and excuses made for Seton Hall canceling their hosting game in 2020.

If anything positive comes out of this . RU Fans have one more good reason to dislike the South Orange Heels and the media doesn't have this game to use as ammunition to bash RU with.

agree in a way.
Seton Hall gave up a home game and now wants it back. and their Boo Hoo worked
Rutgers should have offered to give it back at the end of contract period, not this year when it is Rutgers turn to host..
But since the media could turn on RU and not the sole-less Shoe , Hobbs didn't want the Media attacking Rutgers over not playing and gave in to the SHU AD to have the Pebble host
the game.
When the Hall plays at the Rock it should be called that because when it comes to influence there, those Heels don't have a piece of the Rock and have a Pebble standing when it comes to scheduling at that venue.

I think the series is worthwhile and worth saving.
Hobbs probably felt that too and knew if it ended the blame would fall on Rutgers and a scandal would been made of Rutgers refusing to play unless it was at the RAC this year.
Even though game was contractually obligated to be played at the RAC in 2021, that would have been conveniently overlooked and excuses made for Seton Hall canceling their hosting game in 2020.

If anything positive comes out of this . RU Fans have one more good reason to dislike the South Orange Heels and the media doesn't have this game to use as ammunition to bash RU with.
Hobbs CAME FROM SHU... of course he's gonna toss em one instead of playing hardball. It should have been an ultimatum last year.. play in an empty ROC as your home game or forget about every playing us again. We had the same problem with Mulcahy and his love for Nova. That is, he basically hired Jay Wright.. then Nova came calling for Jay Wright and Mulcahy let him off the hook.

Although I love what Mulcahy did in hiring Schiano and supporting him, I always wondered if Nova's sudden interest in firing their head coach and make room for Jay Wright to keep him away from Rutgers originated with Mulcahy talking to fellow Nova people. BM is forgiven either way after the shabby way he was ousted... but I do wonder.

No plum, not a bad comparison. We are the major university in New Jersey. We are in the Big Ten. It doesn’t matter at all what Seton Hall has done in the past. Take a poll in Davenport, Iowa and see if anyone has ever heard of the school. It sounds like the name of a dorm or maybe some place you can rent out on the weekends to hold a flea market. What the heck, why doesn’t our football team play a game at Kean or our basketball team play at Georgian Court. I am so sick of our fans living in the past. We are a major university in the state, in the country, and in the world. Start acting like it. Unless we are getting two games in a row down the line, very disappointed in Hobbs caving to them.
Didn’t Rutgers did get two games in a row when the Big East H/H series ended and the new 8 year deal started? As long as the extra year gets added on to the deal, which it will, there’s no difference.

Btw - Isn’t Princeton the major university New Jersey?

Didn’t Rutgers did get two games in a row when the Big East H/H series ended and the new 8 year deal started? As long as the extra year gets added on to the deal, which it will, there’s no difference.

Princeton is the most prestigious university in New Jersey, but with fewer than 6,000 undergrads, I don't know if it is the "major" university, as Rutgers has over 35,000 in New Brunswick alone, and closer to 70,000 across all campuses.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Agree about Princeton being rated higher, but Rutgers is by far the dominant university throughout the state, from agriculture to health . Rutgers just merged with UMDNJ and Rutgers Health is just getting started. Rutgers involvement in the medical fields has already turned into a juggernaut after a short time period.—I don’t see any years where we hosted the series two years in a row in Piscataway since we joined the Big Ten.

Rutgers got the first home game when the new series started in 2013-14 (the AAC year for RU). They played home and away through all those Big East years (even when the league probably went overboard doing that year after year). As long as it’s an 8 game series and each side gets 4 home games, none of this stuff should really matter.

Rutgers got the first home game when the new series started in 2013-14 (the AAC year for RU). They played home and away through all those Big East years (even when the league probably went overboard doing that year after year). As long as it’s an 8 game series and each side gets 4 home games, none of this stuff should really matter.
It does matter, when one school gives up their home game to play another opponent because fans aren't allowed in stands is what should count.

Unless the contract stated that was a reason to cancel game and play the game at home nest scheduled date , it does matter.
Seton Hall gave up their home game as not to lose money and replaced playing Rutgers with Penn State so they could get the visitor's purse.

Hobbs took the honorable way this year while the Hall dishonored the spirit of the so called rivalry last year
I'm glad that rivalry is continuing, but now won't lose any sleep if the series ends after this contract is over .
Before I wouldn't have liked it, but now as a program Seton Hall proved it isn't one that can be expected to honor their word and Rutgers shouldn't do business with them without guarantees something like the cancellation won't be pulled by Seton Hall again

Reactions: RUChoppin
Explain to me what benefits of Princeton gives to New Jersey then compare that to what Rutgers does.

HINT: The sheer number of people being educated at Rutgers is a huge difference... then consider how Rutgers takes disadvantaged and those that do well in NJ county colleges.

It is no contest. Rutgers does a hell of a lot for New Jersey.

Explain to me what benefits of Princeton gives to New Jersey then compare that to what Rutgers does.

HINT: The sheer number of people being educated at Rutgers is a huge difference... then consider how Rutgers takes disadvantaged and those that do well in NJ county colleges.

It is no contest. Rutgers does a hell of a lot for New Jersey.
Which is kind of the point of it all … everything is subjective. There’s no right or wrong to any stuff regarding whose university is better, whose program is better, whose pet dog is better… it’s whatever you want it to be, and whichever criteria you want it to be, and that’s fine.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Which is kind of the point of it all … everything is subjective. There’s no right or wrong to any stuff regarding whose university is better, whose program is better, whose pet dog is better… it’s whatever you want it to be, and whichever criteria you want it to be, and that’s fine.
So they have your permission Mr. "Isn’t Princeton the major university New Jersey?"

The fact that Hobbs caved if he didn’t demand the curtain be raised then he really is spineless

Reactions: RUsojo
Shields, true but these 3 teams are beyond terrible.
But this thread isn't about playing those teams.
It's about the dishonorable action Seton Hall did last season and RU fans reaction to allowing those scum to keep their home game when they felt money was more important than honoring the contract they had with Rutgers

Don't try to hijack the discussion going on about those deal breakers getting a good deal because the Rutgers AD cared about the game and isn't a petty person.

Reactions: TRU2RU and RUenvsci
You guys can’t be surprised Hobbs did this can you? I don’t think it’s a big deal in the end. Rather play SHU than not.

But this thread isn't about playing those teams.
It's about the dishonorable action Seton Hall did last season and RU fans reaction to allowing those scum to keep their home game when they felt money was more important than honoring the contract they had with Rutgers

Don't try to hijack the discussion going on about those deal breakers getting a good deal because the Rutgers AD cared about the game and isn't a petty person.
I didn't hijack the thread. One of your posters referred to SHU as "coward university" for its alleged failure to play the game last year, which is ironic given RU's OCC schedule which is one of the weakest in the nation.

I didn't hijack the thread. One of your posters referred to SHU as "coward university" for its alleged failure to play the game last year, which is ironic given RU's OCC schedule which is one of the weakest in the nation.
No offense, but that’s a stretch. It’s a RU board…. Rutgers’ OOC schedule has nothing to do with SHU. I think the whole matter should be behind both fan bases by now. But you can’t blame RU fans on a RU message board about being bent out of shape.

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
Fans being overly biased, emotional and dramatic on a message board? No way!

I get it. LOL

Baylor game was cancelled last year, but I'm sure you knew that.

My original post was referring to this year's OCC. i knew that last years SHU vs Baylor game was cancelled last year due to Covid. I did not know that RU was also scheduled to play Baylor last year.

My original post was referring to this year's OCC. i knew that last years SHU vs Baylor game was cancelled last year due to Covid. I did not know that RU was also scheduled to play Baylor last year.

The whole "soft ooc schedule" just doesn't hold water, though. Last year's OOC was anything but soft before Covid hit, and this year's only has a portion announced so far.

20 B1G games, SHU, ACC challenge, Gavitt Games.... that's 22-23 major conference games, and a strong overall SOS with plenty of Q1/Q2 opportunities. No real need to amp that up much in the OOC to impress the committee, so we can take lower level tune up games to work in younger players and build depth.

Baylor was an early cancellation last year, because the tournament was moved from MSG to Orlando and quarantine timing for travel forced Rutgers out of the tournament. SHU making every effort to travel to play anyone else in the world not named Rutgers instead of hosting an on state game at home was just a thumb in the eye.

SHU is the coward here, they were afraid to play Rutgers and used COVID19 as an excuse.
Rutgers plays in a conference that is a tough one all around, yet RU is willing to play the scummy school that gives SO a bad name by being located there.
Even though the pirate program was afraid to play RU last season and now used RU's AD's sportsmanship to get the series back.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was some behind the scenes griping by Hall fans about losing the series that had the heel Shu AD willing to act like the Hall was willing to play again, but not really wanting the loss, but like every low class person made getting the series back on schedule harder because of the restrictions placed on playing again and left the ball in Rutgers court so Rutgers would look like they didn't want the game .
Just about all College basketball fans in NJ wouldn't care if Seton Hall said they didn't ant o plat, most don't care what happens with Pirate Basketball, but they and the nation would get down on Rutgers.
RU's AD seen thought that petty tactic and just extended the series to have one more cupcake game to go with the three that are part of a round robin tourney that can be considered warm-ups
to get the team in gear for rest of season .

Dec.12th can be considered a day of rest for the Scarlet Knights as they prove Seton Hall just a pretender when it comes to the best in Jersey ( unless it's whining)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT