ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers sports scores big in proposed N.J. budget, will get $100M for arena, practice facility

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Big news from the politics side of the newsroom: Gov. Phil Murphy's administration agreed to earmark $100 million to Rutgers to help fund the renovation of Jersey Mike's Arena and kick-start the multi-million-dollar indoor football practice facility Greg Schiano has wanted since arriving for his second stint.

Here are the details from our Brent Johnson and Ted Sherman:

After reading.

$300m total for RU projects including :

$150m for RU medical schools
$50m for the “hub” research complex in downtown NB Looks like this is
$100m for the athletic facilities for jersey mikes and football indoor practice

This is not a done deal yet. And seems like some lawmakers are not happy with the $100 towards athletic facilities.

After reading.

$300m total for RU projects including :

$150m for RU medical schools
$50m for the “hub” research complex in downtown NB Looks like this is
$100m for the athletic facilities for jersey mikes and football indoor practice

This is not a done deal yet. And seems like some lawmakers are not happy with the $100 towards athletic facilities.
Where does it say it’s not a done deal? It’s a part of the budget that goes into place on July 1, right? Thanks!

Nice!
Where does it say it’s not a done deal? It’s a part of the budget that goes into place on July 1, right? Thanks!
That was my question as well: is there still some haggling to happen? But I think the haggling should have happened by now with the fiscal year deadline looming.

Yes for sure the faculty will be highly upset and demand a 20-30% percent increase immediately in wages and benefits. Don’t forget an increase in time for personal educational fulfillment with lifetime adjustments for health and welfare post teaching. Where the hell is Professor Illingsworth when you need him?

This is a win on many levels, both academic and athletic. As far as legislators complaining about funding athletics, remember that the state used funding for private enterprises like Xanadu and the road improvements around the new Giants stadium. Don’t even get me started on the money that was wasted with the School Development Authority. It’s about time that NJ funded it’s state university on projects like this.

I think most Governors have gone to bat for RU. Corzine even donated $1M of his own money. But this is next level. Joining the Big 10 has really changed the game.

Nice!

That was my question as well: is there still some haggling to happen? But I think the haggling should have happened by now with the fiscal year deadline looming.
I read the full article, like you said, "the haggling should have happened by now". There was some mumbling and grumbling on the athletics spending but with the Dems in full control this one has moved quickly through. It's a done deal at this point, all's that's left is the bitching and moaning from everyone who hates Rutgers Athletics.

I read the full article, like you said, "the haggling should have happened by now". There was some mumbling and grumbling on the athletics spending but with the Dems in full control this one has moved quickly through. It's a done deal at this point, all's that's left is the bitching and moaning from everyone who hates Rutgers Athletics.
That’s okay. We’re used to it by now.

This is a win on many levels, both academic and athletic. As far as legislators complaining about funding athletics, remember that the state used funding for private enterprises like Xanadu and the road improvements around the new Giants stadium. Don’t even get me started on the money that was wasted with the School Development Authority. It’s about time that NJ funded it’s state university on projects like this.
Precisely

Probably a good thing Steve Sweeney is out of the way?

The kids you need to to win divisions and conferences aren't coming to Rutgers or any school for the practice facilities, they are coming for the NIL $s. Improved practice facilities will help us recruit against the Temple's and Indiana's of the world, but that is about it.

Yes, the South Jersey mafia of Norcross/Sweeney(Boss Tweed) has been neutered. You know they would have fought this tooth and nail. To all you Southern NJ ladies and gents job well done.
Yet they would've given that 3rd rate glorified teacher college Rowan a brand new hoops facility or football stadium at the drop of a hat. Yes sir, I'm so glad those former enemies of Rutgers are forced into retirement for good.

The kids you need to to win divisions and conferences aren't coming to Rutgers or any school for the practice facilities, they are coming for the NIL $s. Improved practice facilities will help us recruit against the Temple's and Indiana's of the world, but that is about it.
Agree, NIL is more important now, but facilities are a factor too. Especially when NIL deals are similar between schools.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT