ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers sports scores big in proposed N.J. budget, will get $100M for arena, practice facility

Yet they would've given that 3rd rate glorified teacher college Rowan a brand new hoops facility or football stadium at the drop of a hat. Yes sir, I'm so glad those former enemies of Rutgers are forced into retirement for good.

Don’t worry I’m sure the only way the pols pass this bill is if Rowan gets their share.

There’s probably a reason their President (who is obsessed with quantity over quality) has come out with statements just this past week that they want to upgrade to Division 1 for athletics and build a 7,000 seat arena.

Now talk about a waste of money.

I'm all for the money going to Rutgers and Rutgers athletics.
That said, a $50.6 billion State budget? Ten years ago, the 2012 State budget was under $30 billion. Leave it to politicians to spend money like drunken sailors who just won the lottery.

Big news from the politics side of the newsroom: Gov. Phil Murphy's administration agreed to earmark $100 million to Rutgers to help fund the renovation of Jersey Mike's Arena and kick-start the multi-million-dollar indoor football practice facility Greg Schiano has wanted since arriving for his second stint.

Here are the details from our Brent Johnson and Ted Sherman:
Will this mean a B1G Build 2 where we need to match another $100M?

The kids you need to to win divisions and conferences aren't coming to Rutgers or any school for the practice facilities, they are coming for the NIL $s. Improved practice facilities will help us recruit against the Temple's and Indiana's of the world, but that is about it.
How about it will help the team practice and player development.

Don’t worry I’m sure the only way the pols pass this bill is if Rowan gets their share.

There’s probably a reason their President (who is obsessed with quantity over quality) has come out with statements just this past week that they want to upgrade to Division 1 for athletics and build a 7,000 seat arena.

Lol the day Rowan goes to FCS level for football better be the day Schiano welcomes them to the D1 level by scheduling them at RU Stadium Opening Day for a 70-0 mauling.

I'm all for the money going to Rutgers and Rutgers athletics.
That said, a $50.6 billion State budget? Ten years ago, the 2012 State budget was under $30 billion. Leave it to politicians to spend money like drunken sailors who just won the lottery.
Isn't this the result of all the unspent COVID relief money that was doled out to the states who were then given incredible discretion in determining what type of spending qualified as relief? Amazing if that is truly a big contributor here.

It'll happen long before then I'd bet.
2023 is almost here. So say by 2025 we start Jersey Mike’s upgrade. Finish by 2026. -2027. Now the Schiano indoor facility will start by 2026/2027 and be completed by 2028-2029. That is without any unforeseen delays in materials and construction. Also this is still NJ and nothing is ever certain in New Jersey .

Reactions: JRZEER
How about it will help the team practice and player development.
All for it, but let's hope that when they use these beautiful new taxpayer funded facilities to develop their talents they actually stay at Rutgers and don't enter the TP looking for the bigger and better deal.

All for it, but let's hope that when they use these beautiful new taxpayer funded facilities to develop their talents they actually stay at Rutgers and don't enter the TP looking for the bigger and better deal.
Same can be said for any student that uses any facility at Rutgers, I guess. If there is a new study hall, chem lab or the computer lab, let’s hope someone doesn’t improve their skill and then leave to transfer.

Really though NJ could use a "second" big state school.

Virginia has less people has UVA and VT...so we're not even talking that level, and I think it's fine kids have a place to get into with more and more not getting into RU. RU average SAT now around 1370.

So long as it's not a political slush thing it's healthy.

Gotta give Flood some credit here!!! 😜 🥸

of course we do.

The coach that led us to our best Big Ten season and best bowl game so far (based on on-field results) certainly deserves credit on the growth of the program. Not to mention he was a huge part of the build.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Isn't this the result of all the unspent COVID relief money that was doled out to the states who were then given incredible discretion in determining what type of spending qualified as relief? Amazing if that is truly a big contributor here.

So it came out of your fed taxes instead of your state taxes. Not really an improvement.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-

Maybe we should put half of that $100M into a NIL fund.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Virginia has less people has UVA and VT...so we're not even talking that level, and I think it's fine kids have a place to get into with more and more not getting into RU. RU average SAT now around 1370.

Not sure where you see 1370 as average SAT. I see it estimated at 1300. Rutgers itself only seems to publish ranges not averages.

Yet they would've given that 3rd rate glorified teacher college Rowan a brand new hoops facility or football stadium at the drop of a hat. Yes sir, I'm so glad those former enemies of Rutgers are forced into retirement for good.

Lol the day Rowan goes to FCS level for football better be the day Schiano welcomes them to the D1 level by scheduling them at RU Stadium Opening Day for a 70-0 mauling.
I saw a copy of the Rowan master plan that included a 25K seat stadium.

Might as well be Rowan since TCNJ wants to pretend to be Princeton Jr. with none of the prestige.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I do a lot of work in South Jersey and did my 2nd masters at Rowan. A few things:

1. They have a ton of room to expand
2. President is all-in, think UCF light in terms of enrollment / expansion
3. D1 is a legit possibility - but it'll be an FCS situation for football with bball in one of the smaller conferences
4. NJ could support two major state colleges w/population around 9 mil - as mentioned, VA and other states do it with less population
5. If we don't get NIL figured out, the last thing we'll have to worry about athletically is Rowan as the rest of the B1G / new conferences will be eating our lunch

So it came out of your fed taxes instead of your state taxes. Not really an improvement.
Hey I think that unspent money should have went back to the federal government. I know money is fungible but it seems that the states coffers did not really need such a large infusion for pandemic specific relief. It just became another way to allocate money to political allies. All part of why we are in such an economic mess.

Reactions: scripts
Same can be said for any student that uses any facility at Rutgers, I guess. If there is a new study hall, chem lab or the computer lab, let’s hope someone doesn’t improve their skill and then leave to transfer.
The only difference is that it is the mission of the university to educate students, while playing intercollegiate sports at the highest level is not.

Reactions: scripts
I do a lot of work in South Jersey and did my 2nd masters at Rowan. A few things:

3. D1 is a legit possibility - but it'll be an FCS situation for football with bball in one of the smaller conferences
4. NJ could support two major state colleges w/population around 9 mil - as mentioned, VA and other states do it with less population
5. If we don't get NIL figured out, the last thing we'll have to worry about athletically is Rowan as the rest of the B1G / new conferences will be eating our lunch
Hey if Rowan wants to be the Michigan State to our Michigan in the state of NJ, that's all good as long as they know their place in the NJ college pecking order. At least there would be a legit Plan B for NJ kids to stay in state if they don't get into Rutgers-NB instead of paying OOS tuition for inferior schools like Delaware, WVU, Temple, etc. They might want to change their team name and team colors as the Profs is a laughable team name as is their disgusting brown and gold colors which remind me of human waste when they make the move up to D1.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

I agree that NJ needs a 2nd large university. I am all for Rowan being that school if they have aspirations for it. The set up of Rutgers (ex. Multiple campuses spread over multiple cities) is not for everyone. Would be great to have a major university in NJ that can be walked with no required need for busses.

Hey if Rowan wants to be the Michigan State to our Michigan in the state of NJ, that's all good as long as they know their place in the NJ college pecking order. At least there would be a legit Plan B for NJ kids to stay in state if they don't get into Rutgers-NB instead of paying OOS tuition for inferior schools like Delaware, WVU, Temple, etc. They might want to change their team name and team colors as the Profs is a laughable team name as is their disgusting brown and gold colors which remind me of human waste when they make the move up to D1.
Rowan is never overtaking Rutgers in the NJ pecking order, just as Rutgers is never overtaking Princeton in academics.

Rowan's goal years ago was to equal / beat TCNJ - however, TCNJ is landlocked and does not have the potential / ambition that Rowan does

Re. colors / team name, not a fan of either. They can keep the colors as it's similar to Wyoming/Valpo and to change that would be strange at this juncture.

Team name needs to go as Prof's was in homage to their old teaching school roots, and if you want to be taken even half seriously, a change needs to happen. That, and nobody GAF about the team name down there if they were to change it

*** They nearly had a deal w/the Philadelphia Union to build the stadium on Rowan's west campus around mid-late 2000's, but that fell through and it went to Chester of all places

Reactions: bigmatt718

Rowan is never overtaking Rutgers in the NJ pecking order, just as Rutgers is never overtaking Princeton in academics.

Rowan's goal years ago was to equal / beat TCNJ - however, TCNJ is landlocked and does not have the potential / ambition that Rowan does

Re. colors / team name, not a fan of either. They can keep the colors as it's similar to Wyoming/Valpo and to change that would be strange at this juncture.

Team name needs to go as Prof's was in homage to their old teaching school roots, and if you want to be taken even half seriously, a change needs to happen. That, and nobody GAF about the team name down there if they were to change it

*** They nearly had a deal w/the Philadelphia Union to build the stadium on Rowan's west campus around mid-late 2000's, but that fell through and it went to Chester of all places
My suggestion was to switch the brown to maroon. The combo now as mentioned above is just awful. It makes them look like UPS at best, baby poop at worst. LOL

For the the name I think Rams is an easy one to switch to. Just the alliteration alone sounds and flows better…Rowan Rams.

As mentioned earlier their master plan did include a 25K seat stadium.

My suggestion was to switch the brown to maroon. The combo now as mentioned above is just awful. It makes them look like UPS at best, baby poop at worst. LOL

For the the name I think Rams is an easy one to switch to. Just the alliteration alone sounds and flows better…Rowan Rams.

As mentioned earlier their master plan did include a 25K seat stadium.
Rowan Rams isn't bad as is maroon/gold as they could have a helmet like the LA Rams with the gold horns.

Hey I think that unspent money should have went back to the federal government. I know money is fungible but it seems that the states coffers did not really need such a large infusion for pandemic specific relief. It just became another way to allocate money to political allies. All part of why we are in such an economic mess.

Agree. Then refund it back to the taxpayers.

I think most Governors have gone to bat for RU. Corzine even donated $1M of his own money. But this is next level. Joining the Big 10 has really changed the game.
Also the uproar when the entire fanbase, the Star Ledger and many others were slamming Rutgers and Trenton that they were not bringing back Schiano. That was earth shaking event in NJ.

2023 is almost here. So say by 2025 we start Jersey Mike’s upgrade. Finish by 2026. -2027. Now the Schiano indoor facility will start by 2026/2027 and be completed by 2028-2029. That is without any unforeseen delays in materials and construction. Also this is still NJ and nothing is ever certain in New Jersey .
Both will be done by 2025/26.

of course we do.

The coach that led us to our best Big Ten season and best bowl game so far (based on on-field results) certainly deserves credit on the growth of the program. Not to mention he was a huge part of the build.
He drove the program into a ditch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT