ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers sports scores big in proposed N.J. budget, will get $100M for arena, practice facility

After reading.

$300m total for RU projects including :

$150m for RU medical schools
$50m for the “hub” research complex in downtown NB Looks like this is
$100m for the athletic facilities for jersey mikes and football indoor practice

This is not a done deal yet. And seems like some lawmakers are not happy with the $100 towards athletic facilities.
Of course they're not. Cue NJ com's "investigation" in 5...4..3...2...

If we show progress and win more games this year, that winning will result in more support, revenue from more marketing, and donations will likely go up. The facilities upgrade will probably have sponsors for the new practice bubble. Winning... usually trickles down to private fundraising increasing and donations.
Looking forward to the season and hoping Schiano-Man and team get get the results !!!

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
The kids you need to to win divisions and conferences aren't coming to Rutgers or any school for the practice facilities, they are coming for the NIL $s. Improved practice facilities will help us recruit against the Temple's and Indiana's of the world, but that is about it.
We don’t have the support to land the kids that are coming for NIL. Boosters have to donate NIL dollars, school can’t have anything to do with it. Might as well spend on facilities.

We don’t have the support to land the kids that are coming for NIL. Boosters have to donate NIL dollars, school can’t have anything to do with it. Might as well spend on facilities.
That's cute. There's a check in the mail from a Nigerian prince.

and the NJ public employee retirement funds. Does any government ever do prudent things with found money, or do they just buy more and stupid shiny new things for their constituents?
This budget does contribute to the NJ public employee fund. How much I'm not sure.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Really though NJ could use a "second" big state school.

Virginia has less people has UVA and VT...so we're not even talking that level, and I think it's fine kids have a place to get into with more and more not getting into RU. RU average SAT now around 1370.

So long as it's not a political slush thing it's healthy.
1370 average SAT is incredible. I believe it was 1250 (which is not bad) just a few years ago. RU is on a roll both academically and athletically. Of course the usual suspects will accelerate attacks - negative people hate good news.

1370 average SAT is incredible. I believe it was 1250 (which is not bad) just a few years ago. RU is on a roll both academically and athletically. Of course the usual suspects will accelerate attacks - negative people hate good news.

What I've seen is that the 25-75 is 1180-1410 and the average is 1300. There may be certain programs within the university where the averages are higher.

2023 is almost here. So say by 2025 we start Jersey Mike’s upgrade. Finish by 2026. -2027. Now the Schiano indoor facility will start by 2026/2027 and be completed by 2028-2029. That is without any unforeseen delays in materials and construction. Also this is still NJ and nothing is ever certain in New Jersey .
Who says we have to wait until 2026 to start the football facility? Is that just an assumption?

Ted Sherman reporting this? I remember that name. Uh oh
Who says we have to wait until 2026 to start the football facility? Is that just an assumption?
My assumption is probably closer to actual fact on this . You also are assuming NUTS that this is a bi lateral construction project and the total planning is most likely far from complete. IF they get started on BOTH by end ‘ 23 it would be a minimum 3 year project. Weather conditions play into it all as well as those politicians and school officials who may not feel this is the way to go. Our educators will request a piece of the pie. I’d stick to late 2020’s as a finishing date.

Creative gets Rutgers on probation and non-stop negative press coverage. It's not like UNC and some other schools
That’s not true anymore. Tons of wiggle room now that players are being paid.

Is there anything stopping Hobbs from picking up the phone and calling Jeff Towers asking him to divert some donations to NIL now that we have state funding? That’s not illegal.

This budget does contribute to the NJ public employee fund. How much I'm not sure.
I did see that and wondered how much. Kudos to the Gov and the legislature for doing something. But if I were the Gov, the State would be a much better place, and I would have pushed to use as much money as possible to get the NJ public employee fund solvent.

Me as Gov:

harrumph-fiends.gif

tumblr_lgpjv6Brrc1qeno54o1_500.gifv

• Haha
Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
and the NJ public employee retirement funds. Does any government ever do prudent things with found money, or do they just buy more and stupid shiny new things for their constituents?
Your money is our money to do as we see fit.

At least there would be a legit Plan B for NJ kids to stay in state if they don't get into Rutgers-NB instead of paying OOS tuition for inferior schools like Delaware, WVU, Temple, etc.
Agree, though if we're talking Temple and to some extent WVU, then both NJIT and RU-Newark are legit Plan B options academically that are in-state.

I remember Corzine saying something like he would just pull out his rolodex and raise a ton of money for the stadium expansion. Never happened. To be totally fair, there were some ethics concerns.

"Gov. Jon S. Corzine is not backing down from his pledge to help raise $30 million as part of the $102 million project to expand Rutgers Stadium's capacity to 55,000, his spokesperson says. A series of articles in the Star-Ledger of Newark about costs related to the Rutgers' football program concluded with a report that the governor's campaign "has all but collapsed." "It's only seven months (since the commitment was made Dec. 5). These things take time. People need to relax," said Deborah Howlett, the governor's communications' director. And as far as Rutgers is concerned, the $30 million is still somewhere in the pipeline."

Reactions: Knight Shift
That's cute. There's a check in the mail from a Nigerian prince.
NJ unions don’t take bounced checks from Nigerian Princes, but they do take the substantial dollars which were contributed to build the APC on Livingston. In the same manner we will raise the funds for the football
That’s not true anymore. Tons of wiggle room now that players are being paid.

Is there anything stopping Hobbs from picking up the phone and calling Jeff Towers asking him to divert some donations to NIL now that we have state funding? That’s not illegal.
schools aren’t involved with nil at all, period.

I remember Corzine saying something like he would just pull out his rolodex and raise a ton of money for the stadium expansion. Never happened. To be totally fair, there were some ethics concerns.

"Gov. Jon S. Corzine is not backing down from his pledge to help raise $30 million as part of the $102 million project to expand Rutgers Stadium's capacity to 55,000, his spokesperson says. A series of articles in the Star-Ledger of Newark about costs related to the Rutgers' football program concluded with a report that the governor's campaign "has all but collapsed." "It's only seven months (since the commitment was made Dec. 5). These things take time. People need to relax," said Deborah Howlett, the governor's communications' director. And as far as Rutgers is concerned, the $30 million is still somewhere in the pipeline."
All BS. In the end, they bonded everything because we couldn’t raise the money

Reactions: patk89
One other thing to consider here NUTS is if the current inflationary issues are not resolved within the next several years that also will be an issue . Those possible cost overlays on these various projects are not currently figured in to the total project’s dollar amount. This is always an issue in the northeast and not understanding this can upset many politicians and concerned voters.

NJ unions don’t take bounced checks from Nigerian Princes, but they do take the substantial dollars which were contributed to build the APC on Livingston. In the same manner we will raise the funds for the football

schools aren’t involved with nil at all, period.
Yeah, just like they weren’t involved with bag men. What are you 12?

My assumption is probably closer to actual fact on this . You also are assuming NUTS that this is a bi lateral construction project and the total planning is most likely far from complete. IF they get started on BOTH by end ‘ 23 it would be a minimum 3 year project. Weather conditions play into it all as well as those politicians and school officials who may not feel this is the way to go. Our educators will request a piece of the pie. I’d stick to late 2020’s as a finishing date.
The RAC renovations shouldn't have to wait multiple and would have minimal impact on the interior years to get started when architect drawings are already in place.Building the entrance facade is new construction which requires excavating more than 20 feet outward from the current exterior facade which would have minimal iimpact on the interior of the arena.

Dear Lord there are are more assumptions in this paragraph that I can handle. The educators aren’t getting a penny of this money. This is money specifically given to the University for these two projects. That’s it. Com’on Bob.

Also, I’m pretty damn sure that the plans have already been drawn up for both of these projects, I don’t think this is going to take as long as you think it’s going to take to get underway. There’s also absolutely zero reason not to do both projects simultaneously. You should be happy about that.

** Agree that the inflation thing could be an issue, of course, but (MY “assumption” lol…) I it’s likely not gonna stop these projects from getting underway.

Last edited:
I thought he is making another significant pension payment as part of this largesse. Phil has a big wallet right now and will certainly take care of his union constituents.

Reactions: RU-AGK
There are no rules against athletic departments speaking with donors or collectives. Schools just can’t directly pay the player. Please step into 2022.
Oh yes there are. Please learn the rules in NJ. This is part of the reason the Rutgers NIL collective cannot strike deals with High School student athletes. A school official Directing a collective to pay a certain athlete $$ to come to Rutgers is not allowed.

“They can absolutely not accept pay. This is only about endorsements. They cannot be paid by the college or any other entity for their service as an athlete,” said Sen. Joe Lagana, D-Bergen, one of the sponsors.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT