ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers sports scores big in proposed N.J. budget, will get $100M for arena, practice facility

The RAC renovations shouldn't have to wait multiple and would have minimal impact on the interior years to get started when architect drawings are already in place.Building the entrance facade is new construction which requires excavating more than 20 feet outward from the current exterior facade which would have minimal iimpact on the interior of the arena.
We already know they will be away from the RAC/ JMA for 1 year which means completion not until 2024-2025. It could start mid 2023 but time will tell. The other project at the earliest is finished over 2 years. So maybe and that’s a B1G maybe 2026 -2027. Plans and final approvals do take time and we still need donor funding in the range of $ 200 -250 million . It it totally contingent upon all things coming together. At Rutgers the State U is an entirely different species.

Dear Lord there are are more assumptions in this paragraph that I can handle. The educators aren’t getting a penny of this money. This is money specifically given to the University for these two projects. That’s it. Com’on Bob.

Also, I’m pretty damn sure that the plans have already been drawn up for both of these projects, I don’t think this is going to take as long as you think it’s going to take to get underway. There’s also absolutely zero reason not to do both projects simultaneously. You should be happy about that.

** Agree that the inflation thing could be an issue, of course, but (MY “assumption” lol…) I it’s likely not gonna stop these projects from getting underway.
And you know this for fact…not what you hope for? Listen I would love to see this happen yesterday not late 2020’s . We will have to see but remember this is a state known to moan about anything going to Rutgers. Many many power brokers and as for simultaneously that in today’s world is a big question mark.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
Oh yes there are. Please learn the rules in NJ. This is part of the reason the Rutgers NIL collective cannot strike deals with High School student athletes. A school official Directing a collective to pay a certain athlete $$ to come to Rutgers is not allowed.

“They can absolutely not accept pay. This is only about endorsements. They cannot be paid by the college or any other entity for their service as an athlete,” said Sen. Joe Lagana, D-Bergen, one of the sponsors.”

Yeah dude, this is the general NIL rule, not just NJ. There are many ways around that. And players are absolutely going to receive pay for their “likeliness”.

I thought he is making another significant pension payment as part of this largesse. Phil has a big wallet right now and will certainly take care of his union constituents.
To be fair, the STATE started using the pension fund as a piggy bank under Whitman and didn’t make the required payments to keep it solvent for many years. By law, New York cannot touch its pension fund, which explains why one state has a healthy fund and the other has a pension fund that’s under water. NJ has an obligation to fund its pension fund, but the problem is that full payments are not required to be made each year. That’s why the fund is in the state it’s in.

And you know this for fact…not what you hope for? Listen I would love to see this happen yesterday not late 2020’s . We will have to see but remember this is a state known to moan about anything going to Rutgers. Many many power brokers and as for simultaneously that in today’s world is a big question mark.
I believe others in this thread have already mentioned that the plans - for both - are already drawn up. I'm pretty sure the initial plans, for the football facility, were actually done while Greg was being courted OR shortly after his hiring. Lax and baseball facility plans have been drawn up as well IIRC (others can chime in here...). Hobbs isn't messing around! Good stuff!!!

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
I believe others in this thread have already mentioned that the plans - for both - are already drawn up. I'm pretty sure the initial plans, for the football facility, were actually done while Greg was being courted OR shortly after his hiring. Lax and baseball facility plans have been drawn up as well IIRC (others can chime in here...). Hobbs isn't messing around! Good stuff!!!
We’ll see NUTS. Until I see confirmation that the plans, money and start dates are set I’ll remain a skeptic.

Wonder if Governor Murphy had an inkling about the Big Ten expansion before the rest of us?

Anyone confirm that the funds made it inot the signed budget? I cant find it anywhere

Full Bill.
You can search for Rutgers. I didn't see specifics for Football or Hoops mentioned.
But I think this is the Total Athletics, Med School, Tech Hub
Program​
Agency​
Appropriation​
TOTAL
$1,773,447,000​
Rutgers University – Capital Needs
State​
$300,000,000​

My suggestion was to switch the brown to maroon. The combo now as mentioned above is just awful. It makes them look like UPS at best, baby poop at worst. LOL

For the the name I think Rams is an easy one to switch to. Just the alliteration alone sounds and flows better…Rowan Rams.

As mentioned earlier their master plan did include a 25K seat stadium.
🤦🏻‍♂️ Funny how people from another college telling another university how to do business, lol. There’s no thing wrong with Rowan’s colors or name/ mascot, both unique in college sports compared to the color maroon or the generic Rams. They can be successful if they go FCS if they wind up in a good FCS conference, no need for them to go FBS if all they’re going is to the Sun Belt or CUSA to only go as successful as 8-5 seasons and lose money going to a worthless bowl like the Bahamas or Rat Mouth Bowl.

🤦🏻‍♂️ Funny how people from another college telling another university how to do business, lol. There’s no thing wrong with Rowan’s colors or name/ mascot, both unique in college sports compared to the color maroon or the generic Rams. They can be successful if they go FCS if they wind up in a good FCS conference, no need for them to go FBS if all they’re going is to the Sun Belt or CUSA to only go as successful as 8-5 seasons and lose money going to a worthless bowl like the Bahamas or Rat Mouth Bowl.
My nephew is on the Rowan football team and they all hate the colors/name/mascot. Changing to maroon would be a good thing.

My nephew is on the Rowan football team and they all hate the colors/name/mascot. Changing to maroon would be a good thing.
I guess they were forced at gunpoint to play for Rowan if they hate it there so much lol.

🤦🏻‍♂️ Funny how people from another college telling another university how to do business, lol. There’s nothing wrong with Rowan’s colors or name/ mascot, both unique in college sports compared to the color maroon or the generic Rams. They can be successful if they go FCS if they wind up in a good FCS conference, no need for them to go FBS if all they’re going is to the Sun Belt or CUSA to only go as successful as 8-5 seasons and lose money going to a worthless bowl like the Bahamas or Rat Mouth Bowl.
I've also suggested if Stony Brook is good with the Sea Wolves (which I think is pretty cool) as a name/mascot they might want to consider switching out the red for green in keeping with "sea" part of it...
1200px-Stony_Brook_Seawolves_logo.svg.png

Cool logo but I like the green here better than the red...

1FUKC2PYR9KBsDHitCUF

thumb.aspx

A1vJUKBjc2L._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C819kSnElnqL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_AC_UL1500_.png

And I wish Rowan all the luck moving forward in their future endeavors.

***EDIT*** the middle pic for some reason didn’t populate but it was a nice Stony Brook long sleeve t-shirt in blue of the Sea Wolf logo with “SEAWOLVES” on top. No red.👍

Last edited:
I guess they were forced at gunpoint to play for Rowan if they hate it there so much lol.
Never said they hated the school. Some don't have many options for sports so you take what you can get. I blame the Rowan family. They should have demanded the school change colors when writing that check. 😀

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT