ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers stuff

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
The AP ranking would not have happened without the confluence of MSG and FOX. There were over 50 media there and if it was a RAC game that number would be 15 or fewer.Voters watched. Voters were there. There is at least one voter who had Rutgers at I believe 16 who would not have had them in the Top 25 if he had not been present. It will be the largest non-NCAA Rutgers tv viewership of the year.

The Harper updates are encouraging as NIL is not dominant and the Bailey commitment very helpful. Brandon Knight was the hero there. By the way,at $600000 he is a top 5 paid assistant nationally.

Not at all optimistic about Mag and his loss really hurts not only defensively but on terms of a relatively short bench and minimal offensive firepower behind him.

I sent all the glowing MSG crowd shots to George Bodenheimer of ESPN and the Jimmy V. There are still 2 openings as of today.

The summer trip will include an important stop in fertile recruiting territory in Africa and on many levels will assist the NIL effort as it relates to the murky student visa issue.

People from many walks of basketball life discovered Rutgers last Saturday.

Last edited:
If rutgers gets Harper , you would have to think knight is going to get HC offers. Maybe Syracuse? 😂
He should get offers even without a dylan commit.
His resume is very solid. It’s better than a guy like scheyer’s.

The AP ranking would not have happened without the confluence of MSG and FOX. There were over 50 media there and if it was a RAC game that number would be 15 or fewer.Voters watched. Voters were there. It will be the largest non-NCAA tv viewership of the year.

The Harper updates are encouraging as NIL is not dominant and the Bailey commitment very helpful. Brandon Knight was the hero there.

Not at all optimistic about Mag and his loss really hurts not only defensively but on terms of a relatively short bench and minimal offensive firepower behind him.

I sent all the glowing MSG crowd shots to George Bodenheimer of ESPN and the Jimmy V. There are still 2 openings as of today.

The summer trip will include an important stop in fertile recruiting territory in Africa and on many levels will assist the NIL effort as it relates to the murky student visa issue.

72, you are the best! Big picture thinking, thank you!

Reactions: ScarletDave
The AP ranking would not have happened without the confluence of MSG and FOX. There were over 50 media there and if it was a RAC game that number would be 15 or fewer.Voters watched. Voters were there. It will be the largest non-NCAA tv viewership of the year.

The Harper updates are encouraging as NIL is not dominant and the Bailey commitment very helpful. Brandon Knight was the hero there.

So is there any actual info to share on mag. Are you not optimistic he’ll be back this year or how we will play without him

If rutgers gets Harper , you would have to think knight is going to get HC offers. Maybe Syracuse? 😂
He should get offers even without a dylan commit.
His resume is very solid. It’s better than a guy like scheyer’s.
Watching Saturday, it is so clear how much Pike relies on Knight. He's a major factor in our success with this staff.

The bench is more than fine for RU....we have Simpson and Hyatt there.....anything from 3 point range if Palmquist plays is an added bonus.

MSG was electric during and NYC was buzzing post game.

We may be alright be I wouldn’t go as far as “the bench is more than fine”

We struggle to score and the two guys you mention (Simpson and Hyatt) aren’t always consistent. Palmquist is a massive liability on defense.

Mag was consistent of offense and our best defender.

Let’s not downplay what a loss this would be. We can overcome it, but definitely hurts big.

Hopefully no news is good news or in our case hopefully no news means not worst case scenario. Teams have to deal with injuries. That’s part of the game. Hopefully he’s back by B1G tournament time

Reactions: RW90

We struggle to score and the two guys you mention (Simpson and Hyatt) aren’t always consistent. Palmquist is a massive liability on defense.

Let’s not downplay what a loss this would be. We can overcome it, but definitely hurts big.
Simpson hasn’t done anything of importance since the Indiana game. If he’s the first guy off the bench now then he would need to step up big time.

He was a great PG for Pitt despite below average athleticism & height because of his basketball intelligence. He will make a great coach.
Top 10 teams his JR/SR years too
I hope we can keep him 2 more years but I'm sure he'll be highly sought after this off-season.

It's a severe overreaction and I don't base things on a game to game basis. Hyatt and Simpson are skilled, talented and multidimensional players. This notion that we're bringing in Jalen Miller and some version of a walk-on type player is over the top.

We played an entire 2H without Mag on Saturday. Mag is the least experienced player in terms of career minutes played vs everyone in the regular rotation other than Simpson, Reiber, Oskar and Woolfolk. Spencer, Cliff, Paul and Caleb all are players you would deem as must have, for RU to win games. Mag and his development is good to see, but I think it's being exaggerated to a level way beyond reality at this point. There are ways to mix and match with what RU has to offset his absence.

In terms of the game at MSG, there were more RU alumni that I know at that game that have never posted anything on their social media before, in terms of a RU sporting event. Being at MSG is off the charts and I've seen enough whining about having to play a game there, even if it's a B1G conference game or 1 less game at the RAC once in a while. Getting more eyes and focus on RU basketball is a good thing.

Beating Michigan State was the reason why we are in the Top 25. I'll bet 2/3 of the people who vote in the Top 25 didn't even know the game was at MSG.

Bart has us 15 and ken has us 16....we aren't 24 because we were on Fox and played at MSG.

Agree 100% on the impact of the Mag injury.

Sorry NJH you are so off base here. If our bench was fine he would have used it like Painter and Izzo use their bench and try to keep starters fresh.

Beating Michigan State was the reason why we are in the Top 25. I'll bet 2/3 of the people who vote in the Top 25 didn't even know the game was at MSG.

Bart has us 15 and ken has us 16....we aren't 24 because we were on Fox and played at MSG.

Agree 100% on the impact of the Mag injury.

Sorry NJH you are so off base here. If our bench was fine he would have used it like Painter and Izzo use their bench and try to keep starters fresh.
Haven't we been top 20 on Bart/Ken for a while now?

Agree on the bench - love Simpson's potential but he's mostly been a liability. There's a reason the starters play so much.

Hawk.....
2 straight games Hyatt couldn't stay on the floor in the 2nd half more than 3 minutes without getting pulled. Simpson has been beyond awful the last month and a half.

I think Simpson will be a better player knowing there is a guaranteed 15 minutes+ per game for him. In addition Pike know he needs to allow him to play through more mistakes. I am expecting a good game out of Simpson tonight because I think/hope Pike and Simpson knows all Simpson needs to do to help the team is to contain Hood-Schifino. Doesn't need to score 6 points on every possession or run through screens on defense. Just play good defense.

I know Miller got pushed further down the bench, but last year we thought he was good on defense. Maybe if he can step it up, he can provide some meaningful minutes.

Reactions: FastMJ
Haven't we been top 20 on Bart/Ken for a while now?

Agree on the bench - love Simpson's potential but he's mostly been a liability. There's a reason the starters play so much.
My point was play on the court matters. Being on FOX and playing at MSG means nothing to the polls.

I'll listen to the arguments about why playing this game was a good idea. They are valid and I was wrong with my stance before the game.

I know Miller got pushed further down the bench, but last year we thought he was good on defense. Maybe if he can step it up, he can provide some meaningful minutes.
There are 34 or so minutes to be spread......

My guess in order of where they go

1. Simpson
2. Hyatt
3. Oskar
4. Woolfolk
5. Reiber
6. Miller

I think all 6 will be in play here.

Reactions: Scangg
My point was play on the court matters. Being on FOX and playing at MSG means nothing to the polls.

I'll listen to the arguments about why playing this game was a good idea. They are valid and I was wrong with my stance before the game.

I bet a good amount of voters watched Rutgers for the first time because it was on Fox and not the BTN. This doesn't get on Fox without being the Big Ten Super Saturday game at MSG.

It's a severe overreaction and I don't base things on a game to game basis. Hyatt and Simpson are skilled, talented and multidimensional players. This notion that we're bringing in Jalen Miller and some version of a walk-on type player is over the top.

We played an entire 2H without Mag on Saturday. Mag is the least experienced player in terms of career minutes played vs everyone in the regular rotation other than Simpson, Reiber, Oskar and Woolfolk. Spencer, Cliff, Paul and Caleb all are players you would deem as must have, for RU to win games. Mag and his development is good to see, but I think it's being exaggerated to a level way beyond reality at this point. There are ways to mix and match with what RU has to offset his absence.

In terms of the game at MSG, there were more RU alumni that I know at that game that have never posted anything on their social media before, in terms of a RU sporting event. Being at MSG is off the charts and I've seen enough whining about having to play a game there, even if it's a B1G conference game or 1 less game at the RAC once in a while. Getting more eyes and focus on RU basketball is a good thing.

Being concerned about the loss of Mag is not a severe overreaction. It’s totally sensible if you’ve been watching games his year. Now saying the season is lost would be a severe overreaction.

You saying “the bench is more than fine” is a severe underreaction.

Have you missed the multiple conference games where Simpson and Hyatt had had their minutes restricted based on their play? You’re counting on Oscar to be a legitimate 3 point threat based on his game against Minnesota?

I think you need to pump the brakes a bit. It’s totally normal to be a bit concerned - Mag has been so good this year on both sides of the court.

Any intel on how Cliff is leaning for next year?

Even if he isn’t going to get drafted, he can get a payday playing ball somewhere. Also with the covid year, I am assume he is getting his degree this year (could be wrong).

Seems like this Africa trip could help keep him, since it will allow him to keep his NIL money. Is this a conscience effort by RU to help Cliff out?

We need either Oskar or Dean to step up otherwise on certain nights our lack of size will be our undoing. If neither do then can Wolf and Cliff play together at times? Paul, Caleb and Cam are really going to have to continue to contribute getting defensive rebounds. I think we press less without Mawot's length out front. We may even play more zone to "protect" Oskar and Dean from their man to man defensive deficiencies. Ideally we would not start this experiment with two tough road games but it is what it is.

Disclaimer: Pike has a way of making the following type statement seem foolish after a year or so.

I don’t think Miller should be part of our planning moving forward. By all accounts a great kid. I just don’t see the upside here. I drop down a level may suit him well.

I never say crap like this so hopefully people don’t come at me here with torches and pitchforks.

Even if he isn’t going to get drafted, he can get a payday playing ball somewhere. Also with the covid year, I am assume he is getting his degree this year (could be wrong).

Seems like this Africa trip could help keep him, since it will allow him to keep his NIL money. Is this a conscience effort by RU to help Cliff out?
RU was in the Mix for Papa Kante and Baye Fall and signed Baye Ndongo - all from Senegal
I wonder how long they've known they are going and what part is played in the recruitment of those 3
I'd say Ndongo is either lucky or smart or both 😀 😀 😀

I am not an insider but I can assure you there is an effort to keep Cliff next year. We may be the favorite to win the league with Cliff and Paul back.

Hawk.....
2 straight games Hyatt couldn't stay on the floor in the 2nd half more than 3 minutes without getting pulled. Simpson has been beyond awful the last month and a half.

I think Simpson will be a better player knowing there is a guaranteed 15 minutes+ per game for him. In addition Pike know he needs to allow him to play through more mistakes. I am expecting a good game out of Simpson tonight because I think/hope Pike and Simpson knows all Simpson needs to do to help the team is to contain Hood-Schifino. Doesn't need to score 6 points on every possession or run through screens on defense. Just play good defense.

I don't evaluate players performance based on limited minutes......it's a poor way to determine whether someone is in the flow of the game.

In terms of foul trouble and Hyatt, one of the foul calls where he had the ball at the same time one of the MSU players did, was an absurd foul call. The foul trouble item is also referee reliant, because the B1G games are by far, the worst or most inconsistent, out of any Power 5 league. This is not limited to RU, it is a decades-long pattern the B1G has a well known reputation for.

I won't argue with arbitrary items, but Mag is the easiest to replace in terms of team concepts or impact of the starters. That means you or any RU fan would not want to remove any of the other 4 starters instead of Mag, if you needed to potentially play the next 2 to 4 weeks.

Cliff is the anchor of the defense and rebounding.

Spencer is drawing heavy attention from defenses, hoping to not allow any open space for a 3 point shot.

Caleb takes on multiple assignments of guarding the teams better offensive players AND is taking on more responsibility in bringing the ball up, helping Mulcahy.

Mulcahy is the captain who organizes the team after fouls, takes care of the ball and is the one who can easily play the 1, or 3, by being a spot up shooter from the corners.

Removing any of the other 4 starters is much more important than Mag, even at his accelerated growth in recent games.

We are also getting Mags best production because he has been starting and playing starter minutes. If Simpson or Hyatt play 28 to 30 minutes and move pieces around the court, there will not be any major dropoff in team performance.

The roster as it was currently structured, was very limited in terms of offensive output. If RU is 2nd in all of CBB in defensive ratings, it has the flexibility to absorb removing Mag from the equation, without the defense falling off a cliff. And the offensive play, should be better with either of the options available to matchup with opponents.

It was actually Mulcahy being off the ball on his possession where he hit the corner 3, that got him going vs MSU. It has always been a more aggressive way to find him shot attempts, vs asking him to take off from the top of the key and drive around defenders. He has always been a player who creates better from the wing, curling to the basket and paint and finding shots or pass attempts.

Hawk you're seriously downplaying Mag's influence on this team. He's our best or 2nd best defender this year and his offense and rebounding have been ticking up. The loss is going to hurt but we still should have enough to absorb in most of the remaining games.

Watching Saturday, it is so clear how much Pike relies on Knight. He's a major factor in our success with this staff.
I just loved when Knight actually grabbed Simpson on one offensive set and moved him into the corner, now I have to think you probably can't do that but I don't know but I actually think it was the play that he came out and hit the midrange jumper

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Simpson hasn’t done anything of importance since the Indiana game. If he’s the first guy off the bench now then he would need to step up big time.
While Simpson was a fouling machine on Saturday, that jumper he stuck with around 8 minutes remaining was one of the key shots in the game. He followed that up by nailing 2 free throws with under 2 minutes left (or so, didn't look back, just from memory). These are signs that he will be a big time player.

While Simpson was a fouling machine on Saturday, that jumper he stuck with around 8 minutes remaining was one of the key shots in the game. He followed that up by nailing 2 free throws with under 2 minutes left (or so, didn't look back, just from memory). These are signs that he will be a big time player.

He showed some onions on those free throws for sure.

I disagree with NJH, but what I have gotten wrong the past 4-5 years is the impact of losing players on our defense. We are #2 in adjusted defensive efficiency. We lose Eugene and our defense doesn't fall. We lose Young and Myles and our defense only goes down a notch.

On paper our defense takes a big hit as our most important defender (not names Cliff) is out. However history has shown our defense doesnt take hit. I don't think this will be the case, but countless times I have overemphasized the loss of individual players.

i think they start simpson, bring hyatt off bench and go with flashes of a size lineup i.e Cliff + Dean or Cliff + Wolf to keep TJD honest. Pray they dont shoot the lights out

Im hoping it isnt Oskar. Id rather Dean. He can hit mid range and is decent on O in spurts also a willing rebounded. Oskar cant even dribble or play D.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT