ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers stuff

I don't evaluate players performance based on limited minutes......it's a poor way to determine whether someone is in the flow of the game.
I primarily evaluate players based on the minutes Pike gives them.

When Pike doesn't play Oskar all season
When Pike sits Reiber vs MInny and has Oskar guard a center
When Pike sits Hyatt the last 2 games in the 2H
When Pike has Simpson on bench while starters play 38 minutes

We may be alright be I wouldn’t go as far as “the bench is more than fine”

We struggle to score and the two guys you mention (Simpson and Hyatt) aren’t always consistent. Palmquist is a massive liability on defense.

Mag was consistent of offense and our best defender.

Let’s not downplay what a loss this would be. We can overcome it, but definitely hurts big.
No one has been consistent. Someone always steps up. We’ve been in every game even when nothing is clicking.

That is very fair. Its really a matter of if we repeat the performance against Minny or if that was a fluke like im thinking. He has a pretty stroke, cant put the ball on the floor and has a limited sample of threes. Hes only shot 30 3's in 3 seasons here, mainly due to not being on the court bc of D, rebounding and his handle.

Will be a really interesting thing to see tonight.

I prefer containing TJD with spurts of size let our guards/forwards do their own defensive work on the perimeter players and on the offensive end use speed (Simpson) or Dean as i think hes more seasoned at this point and has show he can contribute mroe consistently than big O.

There are 34 or so minutes to be spread......

My guess in order of where they go

1. Simpson
2. Hyatt
3. Oskar
4. Woolfolk
5. Reiber
6. Miller

I think all 6 will be in play here.
I think that's about right, but think Pike with go Reiber over Woolfolk. Ultimately, whatever player is the least compromising of the team's connectedness on D while helping rebound will play the most.

Reactions: malaka27 and MV9000
The bench is more than fine for RU....we have Simpson and Hyatt there.....anything from 3 point range if Palmquist plays is an added bonus.

MSG was electric during and NYC was buzzing post game.
Except Hyatt may now start so we wouldn't have him on the bench

I keep seeing "Pike likes Hyatt off the bench"

Yea bc Mag was better and now he's hurt. Anyone else he would start Dean Simpson Oskar you could use the same logic and say Pike preferred them coming off the bench too

I think that's about right, but think Pike with go Reiber over Woolfolk. Ultimately, whatever player is the least compromising of the team's connectedness on D while helping rebound will play the most.
I put Wolf over Reiber because Wolf is one of my favorite players! 4 and 5 are close, you are probably right.

MIller is horrible offensively. We cant play with 4 offensive players because we arent good offensively to begin with
Miller looked improved offensively in limited action. He won't be as bad offensively as he was as a freshman

Reactions: RUDead
I put Wolf over Reiber because Wolf is one of my favorite players! 4 and 5 are close, you are probably right.
I like Wolf a lot, too. Ultimately better than Reiber but lacking the experience. I think we'll see plenty of both tonight.

I am guessing Oskar, but that is just a guess based on what Pike did in 2H vs MSU
Hyatt was having a horrible game. I don't think you can use that as a predictive measure for what he does today

I could see them prioritize the pick and roll early with Cliff and Mulcahy with Cam on the wing and Oscar on the corner. Give's them a lot of options depending on where the defense shifts.
Begging for more PnR. Saved the game against MSU and we rarely see it. I really thought we might run it TOO much this year instead it's been not enough

Also Hawk has consistently been down and wrong about Mag so it's not surprising his take here is that Mag is easily replaceable

The AP ranking would not have happened without the confluence of MSG and FOX. There were over 50 media there and if it was a RAC game that number would be 15 or fewer.Voters watched. Voters were there. It will be the largest non-NCAA tv viewership of the year.

The Harper updates are encouraging as NIL is not dominant and the Bailey commitment very helpful. Brandon Knight was the hero there.

Not at all optimistic about Mag and his loss really hurts not only defensively but on terms of a relatively short bench and minimal offensive firepower behind him.

I sent all the glowing MSG crowd shots to George Bodenheimer of ESPN and the Jimmy V. There are still 2 openings as of today.

The summer trip will include an important stop in fertile recruiting territory in Africa and on many levels will assist the NIL effort as it relates to the murky student visa issue.

People from many walks of basketball life discovered Rutgers last Saturday.
"It will be the largest non-NCAA tv viewership of the year" what does this mean? In terms of Rutgers games I'm guessing

Where else will the trip be? Portugal?

How long is Brandon’s contract? He just re upped right? …Not that a buyout couldn’t happen but I guess he won’t want to be a lifelong assistant

We may be alright be I wouldn’t go as far as “the bench is more than fine”

We struggle to score and the two guys you mention (Simpson and Hyatt) aren’t always consistent. Palmquist is a massive liability on defense.

Mag was consistent of offense and our best defender.

Let’s not downplay what a loss this would be. We can overcome it, but definitely hurts big.
Sometimes bench guys just need more PT to score consistently. I have faith in this group.

It's amazing how teams throughout history, in EVERY sport and all the time, have overcome an injury to a starter by having the bench "step up." Even benches that have had their ups-and-downs during the season. Oh wait I must just be imagining this, sorry, it'll never happen. We're doomed....doooooomed I tell ya!!!

Take a deep breath folks and, if we have a rough one tonight, don't freak out. Please.

Reactions: mildone and RC71
If we lost at msg imagine the negative impact without even considering our next two games. Thank goodness we won. Let's hope Cliff doesn't get in foul trouble while Mag is out---realistic? nope.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Hawk you're seriously downplaying Mag's influence on this team. He's our best or 2nd best defender this year and his offense and rebounding have been ticking up. The loss is going to hurt but we still should have enough to absorb in most of the remaining games.

These are words that in the team concept, are not reality. Cliff is the most important defender, because he alters shots and grabs rebounds to prevent 2nd shots.

Caleb is the more adept and experienced defender in the team defense or 1 on 1 ability to defend multiple positions. Mag can also do that, but he is the 5th option, in terms of offense.

Mags offense is typically reliant on defenses focusing on Cliff inside and Cam requires attention. Caleb, Mulcahy and Mag all benefit offensively because of Cliff and Cam.

In the team concept. I'm being asked to replace a very good defender and the 5th option on offense. That is not irreplaceable based on the numbers.

RU is attempting to hold teams, under 60 or 62 points to win games. Irregardless of what anyone says, that's not a sustainable formula against better teams. And better teams aren't going to be stopped cold, because Mag plays 25 to 30 minutes.

The team needs more ability to space the floor and help reduce the workload of Mulcahy. That is solved by allowing Hyatt more minutes and playing Simpson more minutes.

This concept that Mag played 20+ games of error free basketball is simply not the case. It's a team game and there's more upside by expanding the offensive options. That's not anti Mag or taking away from his development.

At the same time, there is enough evidence based on 20+ games, that RU will be more likely to beat the more talented teams on the schedule, IF we expand the offense and 3 point shooting. That is much more likely to be fine with Simpson or Hyatt as the 5th option on the scouting report, without a huge dropoff on defense/rebounding.

It just seems like some RU fans are looking for every item as the end of the world. From a pure basketball and ability to expand how we play, if Spencer continues to be taken away by opponents, there are more options than just Mag, that are capable of taking advantage and playing good team defense.

How long is Brandon’s contract? He just re upped right? …Not that a buyout couldn’t happen but I guess he won’t want to be a lifelong assistant
I'm hoping he wants to stay to see the 2024 team. If Rutgers makes a deep run and or wins the league, he may get offers at a higher quality job than if he left already. I think he is being smart and patient riding out Rutgers a bit longer

It's amazing how teams throughout history, in EVERY sport and all the time, have overcome an injury to a starter by having the bench "step up." Even benches that have had their ups-and-downs during the season. Oh wait I must just be imagining this, sorry, it'll never happen. We're doomed....doooooomed I tell ya!!!

Take a deep breath folks and, if we have a rough one tonight, don't freak out. Please.

Nobody is saying we’re doomed or freaking out NUTs. Stop reading Hawks long posts.

It is totally reasonable to be a bit concerned though. If you’re not a bit concerned than I don’t think you were valuing MaG enough.

Nobody is saying we’re doomed or freaking out NUTs. Stop reading Hawks long posts.

It is totally reasonable to be a bit concerned though. If you’re not a bit concerned than I don’t think you were valuing MaG enough.
Has zero to do with Hawk's post. I can form my own opinions, based on facts and what I've seen, quite well. Disagree, however, and watch the overreactions should we lose tonight. Concerned? Of course, I really hope he's back by the post-season, but I'd say some are definitely on the verge of freaking out.

Has zero to do with Hawk's post. I can form my own opinions, based on facts and what I've seen, quite well. Disagree, however, and watch the overreactions should we lose tonight. Concerned? Of course, I really hope he's back by the post-season, but I'd say some are definitely on the verge of freaking out.

I think folks are being balanced and reasonable in this thread.

But agree there will most certainly be overreactions to come and freaking out like there always is.

I primarily evaluate players based on the minutes Pike gives them.

When Pike doesn't play Oskar all season
When Pike sits Reiber vs MInny and has Oskar guard a center
When Pike sits Hyatt the last 2 games in the 2H
When Pike has Simpson on bench while starters play 38 minutes

Again, nonr of this is relevant to the discussion. RU is not solely reliant on any bench player for success and I could easily argue RU has 7 starting caliber players. Without Mag, it's still 6. You still have 4 of the 6 that are interchangeable or play based on matching up with the opponent.

If an opponent has a stretch 5, fans wonder why Reiber comes in ahead of Woolfork...if an opponent has a traditional 5 in the lineup, fans then ask why Woolfolk is in....it's like no one pays any attention to who the opponent has on the floor....

Again, nonr of this is relevant to the discussion. RU is not solely reliant on any bench player for success and I could easily argue RU has 7 starting caliber players. Without Mag, it's still 6. You still have 4 of the 6 that are interchangeable or play based on matching up with the opponent.

If an opponent has a stretch 5, fans wonder why Reiber comes in ahead of Woolfork...if an opponent has a traditional 5 in the lineup, fans then ask why Woolfolk is in....it's like no one pays any attention to who the opponent has on the floor....

We haven’t solely relied on any bench players for success but we have definitely relied on all 5 of our starters (not just 4!) for a large majority of the season.

We have pieces and capable players that can step up for Mag but stop pretending this won’t be a challenge or that he wasn’t a valuable starter.

Reiber vs Woolfolk

It is a combination of the opponent AND who is ahead of who in the short term depth chart.

We have had games where Reiber was 1st off the bench and played his way off the court and Wolf was used

Reactions: gregkoko and Scangg

YOU DID IT AGAIN! Woolfork! It is Woolfolk.

You need a lap or do a 75 second plank.

We haven’t solely relied on any bench players for success but we have definitely relied on all 5 of our starters (not just 4!) for a large majority of the season.

We have pieces and capable players that can step up for Mag but stop pretending this won’t be a challenge or that he wasn’t a valuable starter.

Find where I posted he wasn't a valuable starter.

I posted that he is the easiest to replace of the 5 starters. I am not going to get fans to tell me we need Mag over Cliff, Paul, Cam or Caleb??

The dropoff from Hyatt to Mag ( if there is, is debatable to begin with) is far more than any other "starter".

That is not saying Mag has no value or isn't a quality player. In the "team concept", maybe that's where fans can grasp thus mindset, Mag is the easiest of the 5 starters to replace. It's not even up for discussion, I'm not sure why fans are constantly looking around the corner, for the next excuse or item to complain about.

Every team has injuries, some are more critical than others. The team is going to continue to play good defense and has more options to score with a different mix of players on the floor. It's not an earth shattering concept.

I'd argue Wolf is more athletic than Dean and his lateral movement is better making him more suited to guard a stretch 5

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I disagree with NJH, but what I have gotten wrong the past 4-5 years is the impact of losing players on our defense. We are #2 in adjusted defensive efficiency. We lose Eugene and our defense doesn't fall. We lose Young and Myles and our defense only goes down a notch.

On paper our defense takes a big hit as our most important defender (not names Cliff) is out. However history has shown our defense doesnt take hit. I don't think this will be the case, but countless times I have overemphasized the loss of individual players.

Success seems to be built on the Pike factor in scripting/deploying his team defensive schemes. While the loss of Mag will certainly hurt in terms of athleticism (especially in the press schemes - Full, 3/4 and half court trap).........Pike consistently switches his defensive schemes and it tends to keep most opponents guessing and frustrated. Except for having a player like Cliff or Myles in as a post defender and shot altering threat, the rest of the defense seems to not be reliant on any one player due to a concert of extremely quick interior rotations. This allows slower lateral players like Cam and Paul to succeed or even thrive on defense - and in Cam's case, even gamble and ball hawk in the passing lanes. Where you will likely have a gap to fill will be in 3 point close-outs. My guess is that while Mag is out, the Defense will tighten up with less pressure sets and we're going to see a lot more of Simpson. Mag's 24+ minutes will be distributed as plus 10 for Simpson / Hyatt each with incremental minutes going to Jalen. This will help cover rebounding differential plus retain speed for perimeter close outs with Jalen giving Simpson a breather.

As you pointed out....Woolfolk and Reiber will be used situationally (as they are currently) or due to foul trouble etc. Oskar will be a change of pace if needed based on lack of performance for standard rotation.

Find where I posted he wasn't a valuable starter.

I posted that he is the easiest to replace of the 5 starters. I am not going to get fans to tell me we need Mag over Cliff, Paul, Cam or Caleb??

The dropoff from Hyatt to Mag ( if there is, is debatable to begin with) is far more than any other "starter".

That is not saying Mag has no value or isn't a quality player. In the "team concept", maybe that's where fans can grasp thus mindset, Mag is the easiest of the 5 starters to replace. It's not even up for discussion, I'm not sure why fans are constantly looking around the corner, for the next excuse or item to complain about.

Every team has injuries, some are more critical than others. The team is going to continue to play good defense and has more options to score with a different mix of players on the floor. It's not an earth shattering concept.
Just because you repeat multiple times that "Mag is the easiest of the 5 starters to replace" doesn't mean it's the truth.. Plain and simple, it's FALSE.

There doesn't have to be a "ranking" of the value of our starters. They're ALL critical to our success, frankly they're all EQUAL in my mind. That's what you get when you play all of your starters 30+ minutes a night.

You see Mag as the "5th option" on offense, but you undervalue just how important he is ON DEFENSE. He is just as important on defense as are Cliff and Caleb, as nobody else on the team can lead the top of the press like he can, and he can guard 1 through 5 in the half court. Pike's "team concept" is defense, and so I don't understand one bit why you would say that one of our top 2 or 3 defenders is the "easiest" to replace. Makes no sense.

I suspect, though, it's because you've been biased toward Derek Simpson all year, despite the fact that he really hasn't done a whole lot since the first Indiana game two months ago. Why you think he's going to suddenly play at a starter's level while being force-fed 20+ minutes is beyond me. He's a bench player who has been okay providing 10-15 minutes as a backup guard. Doesn't mean he won't be a starter in the future, but he's a significant step down from Mag as a starter right now.

This blase narrative that we can readily replace Mag is just hogwash. Will Pike and the team adjust? Absolutely. Will it be easy? Hell freaking no.

The AP ranking would not have happened without the confluence of MSG and FOX. There were over 50 media there and if it was a RAC game that number would be 15 or fewer.Voters watched. Voters were there. There is at least one voter who had Rutgers at I believe 16 who would not have had them in the Top 25 if he had not been present. It will be the largest non-NCAA Rutgers tv viewership of the year.

The Harper updates are encouraging as NIL is not dominant and the Bailey commitment very helpful. Brandon Knight was the hero there. By the way,at $600000 he is a top 5 paid assistant nationally.

Not at all optimistic about Mag and his loss really hurts not only defensively but on terms of a relatively short bench and minimal offensive firepower behind him.

I sent all the glowing MSG crowd shots to George Bodenheimer of ESPN and the Jimmy V. There are still 2 openings as of today.

The summer trip will include an important stop in fertile recruiting territory in Africa and on many levels will assist the NIL effort as it relates to the murky student visa issue.

People from many walks of basketball life discovered Rutgers last Saturday.

We should play a couple of games there every year. It's a no brainer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT