ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers stuff

I'd argue Wolf is more athletic than Dean and his lateral movement is better making him more suited to guard a stretch 5

That's one end of the court.....and I would agree BUT, are you better off with Reiber taking a perimeter shot or a 3 pointer, that's uncontested and allows space for others to drive.

OR

Would you rather go with a post up option, with Woolfolk, against a similarly sized or possibly taller stretch 5, and try and score against that 5?? My guess would be the opponent is probably OK with Woolfolk taking an offensive possession with a 2 point attempt, vs one of the other 4 RU players on the floor..

I would take my chances that Reiber splashes a 3 pointer, left wide open OR makes a pass to open up another wide open shot for a teammate right now vs playing 4 outside/1 inside with Woolfolk and he takes a two, or tries to pass out of the post to a shooter.

If I needed a key rebound on a stopped possession (lets say a FT is made by RU and I had Woolfolk at the scorers table, then I could have Reiber on offensea and Woolfolk on defense.

I would agree that I would 100% want Woolfolk over Reiber for defense and keeping the opponent off the offensive glass.

"It will be the largest non-NCAA tv viewership of the year" what does this mean? In terms of Rutgers games I'm guessing

Where else will the trip be? Portugal?
He meant outside of the NCAA Tournament, it will be the most watched Rutgers game this year on TV because it was on Fox. But I'm guessing more will watch us in the Big Ten finals.

It's amazing how teams throughout history, in EVERY sport and all the time, have overcome an injury to a starter by having the bench "step up." Even benches that have had their ups-and-downs during the season. Oh wait I must just be imagining this, sorry, it'll never happen. We're doomed....doooooomed I tell ya!!!

Take a deep breath folks and, if we have a rough one tonight, don't freak out. Please.
I was going to post that same thing. It's an away game against a really good team and it might take a game or two to adapt to Mag's absence. So people ought to try to remain calm for a few games.

Of course they won't. But they should. 🙂

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Nobody is saying we’re doomed or freaking out NUTs. Stop reading Hawks long posts.

It is totally reasonable to be a bit concerned though. If you’re not a bit concerned than I don’t think you were valuing MaG enough.
If things aren't going well, there will be more than the usual level of sky is falling posts in the game thread tonight.

It doesn't matter how much of a loss Mag is. That's the situation and the team has to carry on. Being concerned won't help in any way.

If things aren't going well, there will be more than the usual level of sky is falling posts in the game thread tonight.

It doesn't matter how much of a loss Mag is. That's the situation and the team has to carry on. Being concerned won't help in any way.

No one should ever expect any reasonable dialogue from the game threads. It’s raw emotions and hyperbole. It is what it is and those that choose to participate generally know that going in.

No one should ever expect any reasonable dialogue from the game threads. It’s raw emotions and hyperbole. It is what it is and those that choose to participate generally know that going in.
I don't expect it because I know it'll never happen.

But I don't really ever understand why people can't hold back their over the top negative comments. Isn't that how we were all raised? Weren't we all taught that if we don't have something nice to say, we shouldn't say anything? 🙂

I have autocorrect....75 second plank....?? Maybe 60.....not up to 75 right now, maybe in a month or so...
I am ready for a 3 minute plank (broken up in 3 installments) when you are right about Hyatt and Simpson and I e been proven to overreact again!

Just because you repeat multiple times that "Mag is the easiest of the 5 starters to replace" doesn't mean it's the truth.. Plain and simple, it's FALSE.

There doesn't have to be a "ranking" of the value of our starters. They're ALL critical to our success, frankly they're all EQUAL in my mind. That's what you get when you play all of your starters 30+ minutes a night.

You see Mag as the "5th option" on offense, but you undervalue just how important he is ON DEFENSE. He is just as important on defense as are Cliff and Caleb, as nobody else on the team can lead the top of the press like he can, and he can guard 1 through 5 in the half court. Pike's "team concept" is defense, and so I don't understand one bit why you would say that one of our top 2 or 3 defenders is the "easiest" to replace. Makes no sense.

I suspect, though, it's because you've been biased toward Derek Simpson all year, despite the fact that he really hasn't done a whole lot since the first Indiana game two months ago. Why you think he's going to suddenly play at a starter's level while being force-fed 20+ minutes is beyond me. He's a bench player who has been okay providing 10-15 minutes as a backup guard. Doesn't mean he won't be a starter in the future, but he's a significant step down from Mag as a starter right now.

This blase narrative that we can readily replace Mag is just hogwash. Will Pike and the team adjust? Absolutely. Will it be easy? Hell freaking no.
I believe he said 6th option actually

That's one end of the court.....and I would agree BUT, are you better off with Reiber taking a perimeter shot or a 3 pointer, that's uncontested and allows space for others to drive.

OR

Would you rather go with a post up option, with Woolfolk, against a similarly sized or possibly taller stretch 5, and try and score against that 5?? My guess would be the opponent is probably OK with Woolfolk taking an offensive possession with a 2 point attempt, vs one of the other 4 RU players on the floor..

I would take my chances that Reiber splashes a 3 pointer, left wide open OR makes a pass to open up another wide open shot for a teammate right now vs playing 4 outside/1 inside with Woolfolk and he takes a two, or tries to pass out of the post to a shooter.

If I needed a key rebound on a stopped possession (lets say a FT is made by RU and I had Woolfolk at the scorers table, then I could have Reiber on offensea and Woolfolk on defense.

I would agree that I would 100% want Woolfolk over Reiber for defense and keeping the opponent off the offensive glass.
I would go with whoever is playing better and team needs in the game. We have seen Wolf display a lot of tough defense rebounding and ability to finish around the rim.

Dean has had a couple good stretches but has mostly been not good this season. He hasn't been hitting the 3 this year but he does have more ability to stretch the defense

"It will be the largest non-NCAA tv viewership of the year" what does this mean? In terms of Rutgers games I'm guessing

Where else will the trip be? Portugal?

right? I dont believe that was the most watched basketball game on tv this year...????

I think he means it will be OUR largest TV viewership of the year outside of the NCAA tournament, given that it was on Fox as a national broadcast.

The AP ranking would not have happened without the confluence of MSG and FOX. There were over 50 media there and if it was a RAC game that number would be 15 or fewer.Voters watched. Voters were there. There is at least one voter who had Rutgers at I believe 16 who would not have had them in the Top 25 if he had not been present. It will be the largest non-NCAA Rutgers tv viewership of the year.
That's one bad voter.
Beating Michigan State was the reason why we are in the Top 25. I'll bet 2/3 of the people who vote in the Top 25 didn't even know the game was at MSG.

Bart has us 15 and ken has us 16....we aren't 24 because we were on Fox and played at MSG.

Agree 100% on the impact of the Mag injury.

Sorry NJH you are so off base here. If our bench was fine he would have used it like Painter and Izzo use their bench and try to keep starters fresh.
Rutgers top 5 minutes getters have played 67.94% of the minutes. For Purdue this is 66.96%, for Michigan State 69.24%.
I disagree with NJH, but what I have gotten wrong the past 4-5 years is the impact of losing players on our defense. We are #2 in adjusted defensive efficiency. We lose Eugene and our defense doesn't fall. We lose Young and Myles and our defense only goes down a notch.

On paper our defense takes a big hit as our most important defender (not names Cliff) is out. However history has shown our defense doesnt take hit. I don't think this will be the case, but countless times I have overemphasized the loss of individual players.
Defense is a team game imo. As good as defenders like Caleb and Mawot are, you put them alone on a bad defensive team and their impact is mitigated. Works the other way around too, if the team defensive concept is good the loss of a single player won't hurt as much.
Every ACL injury is different, players are different. He'll be back when he's back.
Solid analysis imo

Solid analysis imo
Okay, okay - so my post was a little obvious. It is what it is. 😃

But my point was, what's the point in speculating (unless we make a betting pool for it)? We all hope he'll be back sooner rather than later.

I don't expect it because I know it'll never happen.

But I don't really ever understand why people can't hold back their over the top negative comments. Isn't that how we were all raised? Weren't we all taught that if we don't have something nice to say, we shouldn't say anything? 🙂

Many are taught, few learn
Pretty sure that mainly applies when the target of the remarks is in the room or whatever and isn't intended to be a blanket ban on criticizing anyone ever.

Okay, okay - so my post was a little obvious. It is what it is. 😃

But my point was, what's the point in speculating (unless we make a betting pool for it)? We all hope he'll be back sooner rather than later.
You do this a lot. I'm pretty sure by your logic there's little reason for the board to exist at all. In fact, there's really little point in have a sport of basketball or really any human activity that doesn't directly serve to feed the population or reproduce it.

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
I believe he said 6th option actually

I would go with whoever is playing better and team needs in the game. We have seen Wolf display a lot of tough defense rebounding and ability to finish around the rim.

Dean has had a couple good stretches but has mostly been not good this season. He hasn't been hitting the 3 this year but he does have more ability to stretch the defense
This. I think Hyatt is option one to fill in for Mag. Beyond that it depends on matchups and who is playing well in any given week, day or minute. People forget how actively Pike manages matchups and the hot hand.

Reactions: Scangg
Many times reality is ignored by those posting and has nothing to do with " the sky is falling ". The same experts who post BS overeactions during the game threads are now criticizing those concerned with the reality of losing a key player. Same old macho crap and if we lose they will attack the team. Hope we overcome but understand it may not happen.

Many times reality is ignored by those posting and has nothing to do with " the sky is falling ". The same experts who post BS overeactions during the game threads are now criticizing those concerned with the reality of losing a key player. Same old macho crap and if we lose they will attack the team. Hope we overcome but understand it may not happen.
Maybe you should read some of YOUR OWN "overreactions" in other threads recently started on this topic???!!! Com'on man you sound like such a freakin' hypocrite right now it's not even funny.Also, we are FANS aka "FAN"atics." It's perfectly natural to "overreact" during games com'on!

Pretty sure that mainly applies when the target of the remarks is in the room or whatever and isn't intended to be a blanket ban on criticizing anyone ever.
I think mom would tell me to NOT point out that people who "critique" by saying stuff like "so and so sucks" or "never let so and so shoot again" are accomplishing nothing except making themselves look just like poorly raised children throwing a temper tantrum because they're not getting their way. And she'd definitely tell me to NOT say that adults actually learn how to restrain themselves from having such childish outbursts.

Good thing for mom telling me to refrain from saying negative stuff or else I'd probably wind up saying stuff like that. Which would be bad. 😃

I think mom would tell me to NOT point out that people who "critique" by saying stuff like "so and so sucks" or "never let so and so shoot again" are accomplishing nothing except
Seems bad
making themselves look just like poorly raised children throwing a temper tantrum because they're not getting their way. And she'd definitely tell me to NOT say that adults actually learn how to restrain themselves from having such childish outbursts.
Seems mostly okay. There is substantive critique there.
Good thing for mom telling me to refrain from saying negative stuff or else I'd probably wind up saying stuff like that. Which would be bad. 😃
You mom should've taught you more nuance. [Insert insults here].

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
I agree that such behavior is human nature. That just means that it's human nature to behave childishly when disappointed. Doesn't mean that the behavior isn't childish, though.
If it's a behavior commonly exhibited by adults, is it truly childish?

I agree that such behavior is human nature. That just means that it's human nature to behave childishly when disappointed. Doesn't mean that the behavior isn't childish, though.
I think you missed the gist of my post. Please read his comments in Scanng's thread. Thanks.

You do this a lot. I'm pretty sure by your logic there's little reason for the board to exist at all. In fact, there's really little point in have a sport of basketball or really any human activity that doesn't directly serve to feed the population or reproduce it.
There's a great reason for the board to exist. Entertainment.

Same with sports. And music.

And money is important so we can afford big ass TVs and fast computers with which to consume all that entertainment.

Maybe you should read some of YOUR OWN "overreactions" in other threads recently started on this topic???!!! Com'on man you sound like such a freakin' hypocrite right now it's not even funny.Also, we are FANS aka "FAN"atics." It's perfectly natural to "overreact" during games com'on!
Where have I overacted?? Saying the obvious that we can face losses without a key player but hope not ?? You're a freakin idiot and I never critisise this team or its players during the game threads and support the team win. or lose. You know nothing .

There's a great reason for the board to exist. Entertainment.

Same with sports. And music.

And money is important so we can afford big ass TVs and fast computers with which to consume all that entertainment.
Well now you understand why people are speculating about the duration of Mag's injury. Glad I could be of service to you and your mom both.

Where have I overacted?? Saying the obvious that we can face losses without a key player but hope not ?? You're a freakin idiot and I never critisise this team or its players during the game threads and support the team win. or lose. You know nothing .
No joke- now we are really screwed

Hope this helps.

I"m an "idiot?" If you don't think that your 2 posts in @Scangg's threads, aren't "overreactions," then I don't know WHAT to tell you. Anyway, they ARE "overreactions" which based on your comments I quoted above, makes you a "hypocrite." The funny thing is that you're calling out people who "overreact" during games while YOU are doing it, well, on a Tuesday afternoon a couple of hours prior to tip.

You're a great fan, and I know you support the team VERY well, but I'll call out a HYPOCRITE any day of the week. Doesn't mean I think you're an "idiot," however, but whatever.

Well now you understand why people are speculating about the duration of Mag's injury. Glad I could be of service to you and your mom both.
Entertainment should be about sex and gratuitous violence. Or is it violence and gratuitous sex? Or gratuitous violent sex?

One of those, anyway, since all are lots of fun and allow us to escape the sad realities of stuff like Mag's injury.

I"m an "idiot?"
Absolutely not! He was obviously incorrect.

OTOH, it's a pretty low bar you're clearing because an idiot is, by definition, someone with an IQ between 0 and 25. Meaning that nobody, who is capable of participating in this forum, could possibly be an idiot.

Absolutely not! He was obviously incorrect.

OTOH, it's a pretty low bar you're clearing because an idiot is, by definition, someone with an IQ between 0 and 25. Meaning that nobody, who is capable of participating in this forum, could possibly be an idiot.
I can't with you sometimes lol....

Almost every school goes through a major injury during the season.

Lets see what we are made of. Mag is an integral cog and teeth of the defense. Still there are ways to overcome this
The problem is the bench has lacked scoring options for multiple years which means the starters have to play more minutes and likely to be less effective in the last minutes of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT