ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Georgetown 1998 on YouTube

My favorite game since I became a Rutgers fan back in mid 90s. When Billet hit the shot at the buzzer, I was behind the opposite basket and I actually jumped on the court and got wrestled by security guards. Lol. Can't wait to watch it on you tube.

Probably the last time we moved the needle in college hoops. And that was 20 frikkin years ago.

Was at the game the day before. I could have gone to the game but the circumstances didn't work out. Listened to the game at work and went nuts when Billet his the shot. Bitched the rest of the day about missing such a great opportunity to watch a historic Rutgers win. Went out that night to the Ale 'n 'Wich and met my wife. Probably wouldn't have gone out in New Brunswick if I went to NYC for the game. I guess everything happens for a reason. It was one hell of a good day for me.

Was at this game. RU didnt play well for most of it at least from my memory. First time the school was relevant at the Big East tourney getting to the semifinals the next night vs UConn and all the fanfare, alas RU overmatched in that game but still fought. Its such a shame that 20 years ago BE quarterfinal game is still among the top 10 highlights of the past 20 years. Thanks for posting.

Was at this game. RU didnt play well for most of it at least from my memory. First time the school was relevant at the Big East tourney getting to the semifinals the next night vs UConn and all the fanfare, alas RU overmatched in that game but still fought. Its such a shame that 20 years ago BE quarterfinal game is still among the top 10 highlights of the past 20 years. Thanks for posting.

I went to the WVU win the day before and after we won picked up another tix for the GU game. Freakin Bannon. We had something going then! They were over achievers with a thin 6'8" Eric Clark at center.

The following year really felt like things were changing. Still remember Bannin on WFAN with Francesa when it seemed like we were a shoe-in for the tourney. Of course, we choked to end the year. Then in 99-00 there was still a lot of optimism, but that team totally underachieved.

Thanks for posting Dave. This was a wonderful memory that I will never forget. It is one game that I don't think I taped. I might have to get a dvd of that game.

Good stuff. Best memory we have had in the last 26 years . Wow. A younger Danny Hurley celebrating on the rutgers bench. Good memoeries .

I was there...that shot seemed
Like it hung in the air forever

Brilliant play billet...knowing that they would not foul him (high 80% free throw shooter) so he just pushed his shoulder around him and dared them to make contact and got the clean look.....

My favorite game since I became a Rutgers fan back in mid 90s. When Billet hit the shot at the buzzer, I was behind the opposite basket and I actually jumped on the court and got wrestled by security guards. Lol. Can't wait to watch it on you tube.
Loved this game but the NIT run in the Garden was amazing. The OT semifinal win was awesome and the train ride home was even better. The next day when we took the lead in the final with 5 minutes left, that place was going bananas. Of course it crapped out from there but for a minute the world was 100% perfection for me.

Reactions: BillyC80 and KevH
Loved this game but the NIT run in the Garden was amazing. The OT semifinal win was awesome and the train ride home was even better. The next day when we took the lead in the final with 5 minutes left, that place was going bananas. Of course it crapped out from there but for a minute the world was 100% perfection for me.

The billet shot way better and bigger. It’s not even close . The Big east tournament is more important then the NIT. Heck, before the Georgetown game we beat West Virginia in the first round - and West Virginia went to the sweet 16 just two weeks later .
The thing in 1998 was you felt the tide was turning . Bannon had a young team that was getting better. It was a good run for the next 11 months and 2 weeks or so until we played our way out of the NCAA tournament in the only way rutgers can.
The NIT run in 2004 was fun to watch, but watching it you knew it was smoke and mirrors. These were the days when NIT gave us an easy run to the semis to boost ticket sales. Waters was still starting mostly bannon recruits. You knew program was trending down and we stunk the next year in 2005.

The billet shot way better and bigger. It’s not even close . The Big east tournament is more important then the NIT. Heck, before the Georgetown game we beat West Virginia in the first round - and West Virginia went to the sweet 16 just two weeks later .
The thing in 1998 was you felt the tide was turning . Bannon had a young team that was getting better. It was a good run for the next 11 months and 2 weeks or so until we played our way out of the NCAA tournament in the only way rutgers can.
The NIT run in 2004 was fun to watch, but watching it you knew it was smoke and mirrors. These were the days when NIT gave us an easy run to the semis to boost ticket sales. Waters was still starting mostly bannon recruits. You knew program was trending down and we stunk the next year in 2005.
Not exactly. We had to beat Temple, West Virginia, and Villanova to get to Semis in 2004.. That 's not exactly Fordham, Holy Cross, and Manhattan.

Not exactly. We had to beat Temple, West Virginia, and Villanova to get to Semis in 2004.. That 's not exactly Fordham, Holy Cross, and Manhattan.

I believe we beat all those teams in the regular season that year . And we got all of those games at the rac. Villanova and Jay Wright were not exactly Villanova and jay Wright yet.

I believe we beat all those teams in the regular season that year . And we got all of those games at the rac. Villanova and Jay Wright were not exactly Villanova and jay Wright yet.
Maybe not because they were in the NIT not the NCAA but they had Randy Foye and Allan Ray so there was talent there.

As close to perfection as being in the NIT allows for.

Hodgson was a tough player on that team. Back in the day, we actually got transfers that planned out; Hodgson, Worthy, Hughes, Duncan and Dabbs come to mind.

Reactions: RUMcMahon and KevH
This run in the B1G tourney reminded me of this conversation. I judge my RU moments based on my personal enjoyment, not on how far the needle moves. I don't think we've moved the needle in hoops since the final 4. Everything else was just a false start. I enjoyed the heck out of this week though. For me, it's NIT run, the Big east semis and this run in order of personal happiness.

so what...crimedog...only RU fans would actually denigrate the NIT run and want Waters fired hin his third season for not getting us to the NCAA even though we flirted with it 2x

Was there for each game in the tourney that year. I was still in school at Rutgers but had a friend who recently graduated and had a studio apt in NYC. A group of 7 of us slept on the floor each night and kept going to the games. Will never forget that.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT