ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Nebraska / Game Thread - BigTen Tournament Round One

The opposing game plan is to harass Geo all over the court. It worked because he should be playing off the ball and he will next year with Jacob Young and Mulcahy.

Reactions: DECKRU and Scangg
Palmer is way better than anyone we have and he didn’t need little rests to be productive. He has way more heart than I thought.
Double him and make a walk on scrub beat you! He had half of their team's points!

This loss was bad on so many levels. Unfortunate end to the season

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Absolute embarrassment tonight.
Pike seems to forget that offense is part of the game.
The emphasis on rebounding and defense has allowed us to compete.
We need to score to get over the hump
His substitutions have cost us some games
4 minutes to go and he takes out Miles and Eugene for Shaq and Shaq.
You cannot put two offensive liabilities into a lineup that has difficulty scoring when at its best.
With 4 minutes to go in a tight game!!
I think it was Iowa when he put in Kiss and Caleb together in the second half against the 3/4 court press
Too many of his players seem to go into prolonged offensive slumps
He needs to improve the offensive end of RU BBall
We should have beaten this team by 10 tonight

Can we please hire a competent sports psychologist? The body language of some players was terrible. Sometimes you just gotta fake it till you make it. Hopefully, our PG’s next year can pick up the attitude and swagger.

Reactions: ScarletDave
We need an upgrade at guard next season. No question.

BTN desk just reported that we turned the ball over on 33% of our possessions.

What are you talking about?
Are you watching BTN? They're laughing it up that we lost to a 6 player team. That Johnny Trueblood a guy you never heard of was turning us over and making plays. The guys were getting a great laugh out of it. That would make us the butt end of the joke. That's what I'm talking about.

Jacob Young and Paul Mulcahy can't get here soon enough. Atrocious performance by our guards tonight. Only Myles and one-legged Gene competed. Next year if Geo is this bad and Mathis is too, we'll have SOMEONE to throw out there.
Geo has gotten worse and Mathis is still out of control. Most everyone's offensive fundamentals stink. No one knows what is a good shot for them, and if Freeman were still here he would still be shooting threes. Pike, this is the Big 10 not AAU.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Nebraska who should in theory have the worst “home” advantage in basketball recruiting history, and has 6 actual players, and we give up a 15-0 run to end Nebraska’s record Big Ten tournament losing streak. Unreal

Reactions: bac2therac
The worst was the fast break where Geo threw the lob instead of driving on him. Not the coach’s fault, but probably the worst decision in a game full of bad decisions.
THE KID IS SOFT!

The opposing game plan is to harass Geo all over the court. It worked because he should be playing off the ball and he will next year with Jacob Young and Mulcahy.

Yeah about 5 to 7 feet further out on the wing. Seat number 2 on the bench.

Can't wait to see his play next year and put this debate to rest.

He is not a stud. Not even close.

You guys are over the top with the Sky is Falling BS.....it was a bad game, Shit happens. It's still a team with only 1 senior.

I see some are already warming up for next year in typical Rutgers Basketball fashion by anointing two players who have yet to play a game at Rutgers as reasons why it will be different. Might as well through Duke in there too! The entire team needs to get better regardless.

I think some are finally starting to realize this.

I have no idea what you just said

There is no no surprise in the outcome of the game because the heart breaking loss to Penn State was really the end of the season.The last two games against Indiana and Nebraska was unwatchable basketball because the Rutgers team was unprepared to play either game.The horrendous shooting and ball handling is a clear signal that the team lacks go to scorers and leaders as compared to last season with Sanders and Freeman leading the team in the B1G tournament.

In hindsight its rather amazing this team achieved 7 league wins .The team and coaching staff should be commended.At the same time the end result was another losing season and there are lots of questions regarding next season.The back court of Baker and Mathis were missing in action which really is disappointing.Without their scoring the team is really limited offensively .The lack of 3 point shooters really needs to be addressed in the off season including with recruiting.The ball handling and dribbling needs major improvement because too many unforced errors occurred .The coaching staff has a lot of work to do in the off season.

I will say the team is consistent:

15-18 in 2017
15-19 in 2018
14-17 in 2019

It feels like improvement even if the W/L record is about the same 3 years in a row.

One good thing .. RU did not finish last in the regular season!!!!!

Was it even a 6 man team? It kinda just seemed like Palmer
Only their three core players took more than two shots each. Three guys took 45 out of 52 shots. Those three core players only made 16 of 45 shots, and three of 15 three point shots. We got 33 rebounds to their 23. Of course, the four guys who took other the seven shots made five of them. I know that Copeland was on the line a lot more than he should’ve been, but still, how can you lose circumstances?

15-18 in 2017
15-19 in 2018
14-17 in 2019

It feels like improvement even if the W/L record is about the same 3 years in a row.

One good thing .. RU did not finish last in
the regular season!!!!!

The biggest thing is only 1 Senior.

I’ve had season tickets for over 30 years. I’ve never left the arena early, or stopped watching the TV early, except when I’ve desperately had to be somewhere. This was the first time I just stopped watching because I couldn’t stand it. I think it was because the EO foul made us look like the bad guys, not just the losers. I couldn’t watch after that. I guess there’s a first time for everything.

I stopped watching after the Eugene intentional foul because it was over there.

In my opinion, there had to have been something going on behind the scenes with Geo. After the Iowa game where he played decent, it was a huge drop off. I remember a video of the Iowa game where Harper was running back to the locker room excited. After some brief cheering, Geo was back checking out his phone. Maybe Pike continued to play him to help get his mind somewhere else, cuz even through his struggles, he had a lot of minutes. Just speculating, we all know he’s better than the last 3 games. Even when you don’t shoot well, there are other areas to impact the game. Cut him some slack. Season’s over. New beginnings next fall.

Are you watching BTN? They're laughing it up that we lost to a 6 player team. That Johnny Trueblood a guy you never heard of was turning us over and making plays. The guys were getting a great laugh out of it. That would make us the butt end of the joke. That's what I'm talking about.

When a walk-in named Johnny Trueblood was making an impression against us, We deserve to be laughed at.

You can tell that the sky fell today.
This team has flaws as proven by today's loss.
The roster isn't filled with All American talent and some on it weren't considered top HS talent.
Without a true PG a player was forced to play out of position and he played badly at times , like today.

But this RU MBB team over the course of this season gives RU fans hope for the future.
We didn't expect a Duke , North Carolina or a Wooden like UCLA team this year only wanted one that would play competitively most games pulling off an upset or 2 hopefully.
What we got was a team that gave its all and had no quit in it and basically done us proud.

This game wasn't a proud moment, but I'll say overall it's one that proved it can be a team we can count on to be better next year because despite all the faults it shown at times this year, it also shown vast improvement from previous RU MBB teams and had the type of returning players that will only get better and some recruits that might have what it takes to fix some of the flaws this years team has

Today's game was a disappointment, but not one that should make us think there's no hope for tomorrow.
The 2019-2020 season starts tomorrow as Pike and his staff start planning for it and the returning players work on improving their game during the off season.

Sorry for the length of this, only wanted to show reasons to be optimistic about next year after a disappointing loss that has some finger pointing because of RU losing , when we thought it had a real good chance to win.

15-18 in 2017
15-19 in 2018
14-17 in 2019

One good thing .. RU did not finish last in the regular season!!!!!
The team has been consistent the last 13 seasons but its not the consistency that is needed for a winning basketball team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT