ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Penn State / Match Thread

DeLuca can't do that. I hate that crap. He can be physical, tough and aggressive without that. Everyone else was fine.
Cranking on the ankle? Are you blind? All he did was hold on to not give up the takedown. That's it. Blame the awful ref who didn't stop it.
This is the first that I have seen the replay. The Penn State guy was rocking back-and-forth trying to improve his position. The guy in red was just holding on. You could say that the referee should have whistled the stalemate sooner, but it was the movement of the guy in blue, not the guy in red, that caused the knee to pop.

This is the first that I have seen the replay. The Penn State guy was rocking back-and-forth trying to improve his position. The guy in red was just holding on. You could say that the referee should have whistled the stalemate sooner, but it was the movement of the guy in blue, not the guy in red, that caused the knee to pop.
Exactly

Reactions: CerealNTacos
You are as pathetic as the rest of you snowflake fan base. You and the rest of your snide, Ped loving fans, should stick to the Sandusky board. Should I copy and post the nasty things you posted on the Pedophile Wrestling board today ? If your dirty Zain Retheroford didn't keep trying to rip off the ankle of his opponents , maybe his teammate Nolf wouldn't have had bad luck. Karma is a Beotch. And your Coach was Classless as well , today.
Your passive wrestlers weren't as impressive as they usually are... guess they aren't as tough as you thought they were. Where is the Zitlion saying Ped st would win by 39? Joseph was backpedaling at the end, as was Nickal. Suriano and Del Vech made a mockery of your guys. Even DeLuca exposed Retherford today. Hey, rest of NCAA..... Ped St will backpedal when pushed. And their coach and bench will whimper and cry.
Now get lost, and go back to the Ped board.
Abro when you win a match regardless of the score it is win. In the Big or NCAA tournament you move on. Take off the rose collard glasses. PS just out wrestled us regardless of the match scores.

Reactions: obrats
Abro when you win a match regardless of the score it is win. In the Big or NCAA tournament you move on. Take off the rose collard glasses. PS just out wrestled us regardless of the match scores.

I somewhat disagree. You are right that a win is a win and a loss is a loss, but having two guys in Gravina and Lewis, who are R12 types take national champs to the wire and each lose by a point is impressive. NC winners usually have their way with anyone but the high AA types. We had them both backpedaling and stalling to escape with a win. Those were two great performances, as both Joseph and Nickal are a mismatch not only in talent, but also a bad style match-up for our guys. Those efforts bode well for us for March. If they can wrestle at that level at nationals, we will have 3 AA's for the first time ever.

DelVecchio also looked aggressive and wrestled for a full 7 minutes, which is something he has been unable to do of late. He was on upset alert going into this match, and responded with a very strong performance.

Grello, still no one giving my man any respect. Outclassed? Maybe, but he scored back points which is something not many people will accomplish against Hall. He has the talent, and its starting to show through, just like with Correnti last year. People here are too impatient sometimes with kids at the upper weights. It takes time.

Last edited:
I somewhat disagree. While a win is a win and a loss is a loss, but having two guys in Gravina and Lewis, who are R12 types take national champs to the wire and each lose by a point is impressive. NC winners usually have their way with anyone but the high AA types. We had them both backpedaling and stalling to escape with a win. Those were two great performances, as both Joseph and Nickal are a mismatch not only in talent, but also a bad style match-up for our guys. Those were great performances, and bode well for us for March. If they can wrestle at that level at nationals, we will have 3 AA's for the first time ever.
Spot on. Pretty much the same impressions my whole group took away from those matches yesterday. It's got to be a confidence booster to both of them. It shows them they're not completely outclassed and if they keep working hard come March they'll be right in the hunt for AA status.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
I somewhat disagree. You are right that a win is a win and a loss is a loss, but having two guys in Gravina and Lewis, who are R12 types take national champs to the wire and each lose by a point is impressive. NC winners usually have their way with anyone but the high AA types. We had them both backpedaling and stalling to escape with a win. Those were two great performances, as both Joseph and Nickal are a mismatch not only in talent, but also a bad style match-up for our guys. Those efforts bode well for us for March. If they can wrestle at that level at nationals, we will have 3 AA's for the first time ever.

DelVecchio also looked aggressive and wrestled for a full 7 minutes, which is something he has been unable to do of late. He was on upset alert going into this match, and responded with a very strong performance.

Grello, still no one giving my man any respect. Outclassed? Maybe, but he scored back points which is something not many people will accomplish against Hall.
I think it was 9 escapes, no backpoints.

It was actually pretty funny sitting in the stands. They showed the review, and an RU fan behind me said, "See? That was at least two seconds." I had to point out that the replay was in slow motion.

Reactions: 61RayStreet
I think it was 9 escapes, no backpoints.

It was actually pretty funny sitting in the stands. They showed the review, and an RU fan behind me said, "See? That was at least two seconds." I had to point out that the replay was in slow motion.

Obviously it was in slow motion. Still should have been back points.

That's just sad. Rutgers won one match against an overmatched guy that has won one bout all year (against an F&M backup) and won one close match. It kept a couple close that didn't project to be that close. Take away Suriano, and how many takedowns did Rutgers get all day? Less than 5? Yep. Four if you count Delvecchio's late one - two for DelV, one for JVB and one borderline for Gravina. So really 3 that mattered at all and one of them probably could have been challenged successfully. If that's the "best", then I'm sorry. I will say Penn State wrestled really poorly. Not a great effort on their part and probably the flattest effort I've seen since Cael took over. But the final score was something more like 30-9 without Nolf's injury and takedowns were something like 30-8.

AND, PSU did the right thing and sent out a sacrificial lamb @ 25.
The nj press guy complaining about sanderson not whatever for post match: would imagine he did not want to discuss in any way Jason Nolf's injury and the other subject would have been Rutgers 125 --and PSU has said nothing about him, while hearing quite a lot from father and son.
I would have done the same thing.

So, in your way of thinking, "should have been" leads to claiming "did." Right. Got it.

What is it with PSU fans being so friggin' insufferable? It amazes me that you all seem to have this sense of superiority about the education you receive out there. No one is impressed by "smugly obtuse," and it certainly doesn't fool anyone into thinking your a high powered intellectual.

What I am saying (which you well know) is that when I evaluate Grello's performance, I see a nice move that should have been scored as back points. So do I credit that to my evaluation of his performance? Yes, I do. We all know how it was scored, but that is not relevant to my point. Its not like I am arguing the match was improperly scored. I am giving my evaluation of the wrestler.

What is it with PSU fans being so friggin' insufferable? It amazes me that you all seem to have this sense of superiority about the education you receive out there. No one is impressed by "smugly obtuse," and it certainly doesn't fool anyone into thinking your a high powered intellectual.

What I am saying (which you well know) is that when I evaluate Grello's performance, I see a nice move that should have been scored as back points. So do I credit that to my evaluation of his performance? Yes, I do. We all know how it was scored, but that is not relevant to my point. Its not like I am arguing the match was improperly scored. I am giving my evaluation of the wrestler.
*you're

Speaking of insufferable, the writer in the link below seems very angry.

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2018/1/28/16942936/penn-state-wrestling-rutgers-jason-nolf-injured

So you read 2 paragraphs and respond to one spelling mistake. My god, how old are you?
Let's review, shall we?

Old Cabbage starts out with "...he scored back points..."

...Maybe, but he scored back points...

Then, when he gets questioned about it, he backs off a little to "...should have been back points..."

Obviously it was in slow motion. Still should have been back points.

Then, when he is just flat out Deluca'd (that's "smacked in the face" for those that aren't paying attention), he says, "Well, I give him the the back points, just because." And, he goes down the insult path, questioning my intelligence. So, yeah, I thought the "you're" did a fine job getting my point across, no matter my age. Sorry I forgot to add the :smiley: after it.

Let's review, shall we?

Then, when he gets questioned about it, he backs off a little to "...should have been back points..."

Then, when he is just flat out Deluca'd (that's "smacked in the face" for those that aren't paying attention), he says, "Well, I give him the the back points, just because." And, he goes down the insult path, questioning my intelligence. So, yeah, I thought the "you're" did a fine job getting my point across, no matter my age. Sorry I forgot to add the :smiley: after it.
Cmon man, all he was saying was how he thought it should have been two. Idk cause I had to leave for work before that match so I didn't see it. But in his mind he thought it should have been back points so he included it in his assessment of his match saying he wrestled well enough where 2 backs could've been given and he included them. Is that really that big of a deal that it needs correcting on a Rutgers board?

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof

lol... are you new to the internets?

Let's review, shall we?

Yeah, you got me good. Thanks for the lengthy recap of the conversation. I truly thought that when the ref did not award back points, and then we challenged, and then they didn't award back points, that it meant they had awarded them.

Like I said, smugly obtuse doesn't impress anyone. It just makes you look like an asshole.

Last edited:
DeLuca can't do that. I hate that crap. He can be physical, tough and aggressive without that. Everyone else was fine.
Cranking on the ankle? Are you blind? All he did was hold on to not give up the takedown. That's it. Blame the awful ref who didn't stop it.

That video settles any debate whether it was "dirty" or not. He sat up and tweaked his own knee.

That's just sad. Rutgers won one match against an overmatched guy that has won one bout all year (against an F&M backup) and won one close match. It kept a couple close that didn't project to be that close. Take away Suriano, and how many takedowns did Rutgers get all day? Less than 5? Yep. Four if you count Delvecchio's late one - two for DelV, one for JVB and one borderline for Gravina. So really 3 that mattered at all and one of them probably could have been challenged successfully. If that's the "best", then I'm sorry. I will say Penn State wrestled really poorly. Not a great effort on their part and probably the flattest effort I've seen since Cael took over. But the final score was something more like 30-9 without Nolf's injury and takedowns were something like 30-8.
Boy you guys whine about dirty wrestling yet didn’t say a word when one of your PSU coaches was raping little boys in the locker room showers ..what hypocrites

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Let's review, shall we?

STFU Nancy

Let's review, shall we?

Really is astonishing that a grown man that is a PSU fan would spend his time posting snarky remarks on an RU Wrestling board. It's certainly not the first time either. Hope you keep that sad detail about your life to yourself. You and your other PSU posters are what make the PSU fanbase universally despised. Go back to your own board and chat with them. Is it that difficult?

That video settles any debate whether it was "dirty" or not. He sat up and tweaked his own knee.

The most amazing thing about it, from a standpoint of the PSU outrage, is that you can see JVB release the tension on the ankle, and then Nolf tries to improve his position and hurts himself. It sucks, and is unfortunate, but there is no doubt he did it to himself.

The most amazing thing about it, from a standpoint of the PSU outrage, is that you can see JVB release the tension on the ankle, and then Nolf tries to improve his position and hurts himself. It sucks, and is unfortunate, but there is no doubt he did it to himself.
You've not heard a word from me about Jason's knee on any board. I put that blame partially on Jason and mostly on the ref. Outraged? No. Sick for Jason. Yes. The good news is that there are reports that if rehab goes well, he'll be back for B1G. No surgery.

You've not heard a word from me about Jason's knee on any board. I put that blame partially on Jason and mostly on the ref. Outraged? No. Sick for Jason. Yes. The good news is that there are reports that if rehab goes well, he'll be back for B1G. No surgery.
Watched the match again. My take is the match was basically as expected, except the injury to Nolf and the lack of bonus points by Joseph and Nickal. Unfortunately, I think Deluca set a bad tone. Outside of that match, it was pretty good wrestling, nothing dirty. Suriano showed focus and determination with the fall. Maybe Joseph and Nickal were distracted after Nolf's injury, but Hall wasn't. I thought Lewis and Gravina stepped up and wrestled tough. The matches really weren't in doubt for Joseph and Nickal, but the lack of bonus points was due to the effort from Lewis and Gravina.

Watched the match again. My take is the match was basically as expected, except the injury to Nolf and the lack of bonus points by Joseph and Nickal. Unfortunately, I think Deluca set a bad tone. Outside of that match, it was pretty good wrestling, nothing dirty. Suriano showed focus and determination with the fall. Maybe Joseph and Nickal were distracted after Nolf's injury, but Hall wasn't. I thought Lewis and Gravina stepped up and wrestled tough. The matches really weren't in doubt for Joseph and Nickal, but the lack of bonus points was due to the effort from Lewis and Gravina.

Perfect analysis. I think MVB also stepped up and wrestled well against Lee. Lee wasn't impressive at all.

Perfect analysis. I think MVB also stepped up and wrestled well against Lee. Lee wasn't impressive at all.
Slight disagreement on Lee. Not sure he was impressive, but he was efficient and very smart. Only a couple of duals under his belt and that was a tough enviroment. Suriano really set tone with the fall. Crowd is electric after a good win at 133. Even with the gauntlet PSU has from 149 to 184, Lee has to get a win and he did that.

I sure hope he’s able to come back this year. Kemerer and Nolf will be a great match up in the NCAA finals. Unfortunate injury and terrible job by the ref. Hopefully not another misdiagnosis by Dr. Sanderson.

Not only that, if you take away the other 3 takedowns that's 0! No takedowns! Then you can scrap any points for Rutgers and it's a shutout. So really if you do some more mental gymnastics Rutgers had no points. Well said.

Okay. Let's not parse. The takedown battle was 38-13, basically a 3-1 ratio. That's called being dominated. I'm not really disputing it was the best Rutgers wrestled all year. It may be. But when the takedown battle is lost that decisively and 9 of the 13 takedowns come from one wrestler (who happened to transfer from your opponent); the other 9 that Rutgers recruited and developed get beat by 38-4 and it's considered your "best" ....

38-4, mind you - you are not really being competitive as a team. You can spin it anyway you want.

Okay. Let's not parse. The takedown battle was 38-13, basically a 3-1 ratio. That's called being dominated. I'm not really disputing it was the best Rutgers wrestled all year. It may be. But when the takedown battle is lost that decisively and 9 of the 13 takedowns come from one wrestler (who happened to transfer from your opponent); the other 9 that Rutgers recruited and developed get beat by 38-4 and it's considered your "best" ....

38-4, mind you - you are not really being competitive as a team. You can spin it anyway you want.

Totally faulty logic on so many levels. 16 of those 38 takedowns came at 197 and 285 where PSU wrestlers wrestled RU back ups. Your 3x state champ heavyweight dominated our 0 time state champ wrestler. Wow, good job. So 38-16 is 22. 7 More weights to go because we have to throw out 125, of course. 133, our 2x state champ beats your 2x state champ. You have only had him for a year so I guess it’s not enough time for the PSU development magic to kick in yet. At 141, your #5 ranked in th nation Freshman recruit, who has been in the PSU room for a year, beats our 0 time state champ, back up to an injured Ashnault and a sophomore, 5-2. Which wrestler has been developed better here? At 149 all world Zain does what he does. He’s awesome and I totally believe the PSU room has been a huge factor in his development from stud to Hodge favorite. 157, pre injury it’s 5-4 against our ranked 0 time state champ who qualified for NCAA’s last year against multiple x state champ, Nolf. Nolf was destined to be a stud. RU has developed Van Brill. At 165 lbs, a 2x PA State champ wins 5-4 against a 0 time state champ. At 174, 6x State Champ and #1 recruit in the nation in 2016 techs a guy 53 places lower in the recruiting rankings. I’m going to remove that one because it is impossible to assess development because of the ranking difference. He had 10 takedowns so 22-10 is 12. Last match. At 184, #7 ranked recruit in the nation and a 3x state champ beats 0 time state champ for RU, 6-5. Takedown battle here, 2-1 PSU. So, based on this information, which team has better developed their recruits? Just like you I have deliberately chosen which stats I want to highlight and downplay. But, bottom line, PSU has done a lot with a lot. RU has done quite a bit with considerably less.

So what? How have other teams fared in the takedown column vs. PSU?

Totally faulty logic on so many levels. 16 of those 38 takedowns came at 197 and 285 where PSU wrestlers wrestled RU back ups. Your 3x state champ heavyweight dominated our 0 time state champ wrestler. Wow, good job. So 38-16 is 22. 7 More weights to go because we have to throw out 125, of course. 133, our 2x state champ beats your 2x state champ. You have only had him for a year so I guess it’s not enough time for the PSU development magic to kick in yet. At 141, your #5 ranked in th nation Freshman recruit, who has been in the PSU room for a year, beats our 0 time state champ, back up to an injured Ashnault and a sophomore, 5-2. Which wrestler has been developed better here? At 149 all world Zain does what he does. He’s awesome and I totally believe the PSU room has been a huge factor in his development from stud to Hodge favorite. 157, pre injury it’s 5-4 against our ranked 0 time state champ who qualified for NCAA’s last year against multiple x state champ, Nolf. Nolf was destined to be a stud. RU has developed Van Brill. At 165 lbs, a 2x PA State champ wins 5-4 against a 0 time state champ. At 174, 6x State Champ and #1 recruit in the nation in 2016 techs a guy 53 places lower in the recruiting rankings. I’m going to remove that one because it is impossible to assess development because of the ranking difference. He had 10 takedowns so 22-10 is 12. Last match. At 184, #7 ranked recruit in the nation and a 3x state champ beats 0 time state champ for RU, 6-5. Takedown battle here, 2-1 PSU. So, based on this information, which team has better developed their recruits? Just like you I have deliberately chosen which stats I want to highlight and downplay. But, bottom line, PSU has done a lot with a lot. RU has done quite a bit with considerably less.

+1. Give Matter a couple days and somehow we will have negative 4 takedowns. World revolves around PSU

Reactions: rondi

I thought we weren't parsing? Can't play fair?

I thought we weren't parsing? Can't play fair?

Ha! In the words of Forest Gump, parsing is as parsing does. If you had simply said Penn State dominated the match in terms of takedowns and added Suriano’s totals to the overall score differential, I would have agreed with you. Instead, you chose numbers that suited you (parsing) and then inferred that RU has done a bad job/at least worse job than PSU in developing their wrestlers. I simply applied your goofy/curated logical method plus some actual sound logic to challenge your statement. I think PSU is an amazing program and I love watching them wrestle. I also think what Rutgers has done with significantly less talent is pretty impressive as evidenced by the results from last week’s match.

Bravo ...well said ..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT