ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Wisconsin Wrestling Results and Update Thread

165: No. 3/3/3/4 Isaac Jordan (UW) wins by a 19-4 tech fall over Nick Visicaro (#RUWR). No. 21 RU leads No. 18 UW, 18-12.

C'mon Ba

cant remember the last time he got the first takedown. he is declining fast to unranked guys.

Visicaro refusal to try is really going to hurt. Means Pafumi must lose by regular decision. If Vis keeps it to major, then PAfumi has a lot more oroom to breathe for us to tie. If Pafumi fights for regular win and Vis only majored we win. terrible by redshirt senior. Too many guys going through the motions and not trying especially after Hrymack awesome win.

Four weights make zero offensive points: 285, 133, 165 & 174 add up to ZERO offense. that is not going to cut it. Not fair to Pafumi against a #19

By virtue of criteria 3.15.3, UW would win the match, 19-18, in the event of a tie. Greater number of points from D, MD, TF #RUWR

looks like a heartbreaker coming up soon

Pafumi wrestling with heart...he friggin tried to win...love it. They need to show that to the other 4 guys. just damn try

Bitter, bitter loss

184: No. NR/19/14 Ricky Robertson (UW) wins a 9-3 dec. over Anthony Pafumi (#RUWR). No. 18 UW wins by criteria, 19-18, over No. 21 RU

Also Perroti getting screwed out of his pin, and Ash not getting the Tech fall he should have. on and on and on.

Sounds like a hard fought match ... one day RU will have a team in a sport with that killer instinct.

Take it easy on Vis. He is a young kid who just does not have the talent. He tried. Jordan is national champion caliber. Let's not bash 22 year olds who are out there in one of the toughest of all sports.

Some kids wrestled hard others appeared to give up. Not understanding how or why Ash should of got the tech. Kid had a good resume. We're getting there man. Tough loss but lets all relax.

Originally posted by Racpack:
Take it easy on Vis. He is a young kid who just does not have the talent. He tried. Jordan is national champion caliber. Let's not bash 22 year olds who are out there in one of the toughest of all sports.
I disagree on the "doesnt have the talent" part. He used to have the talent. Bitter bitter loss. I m not going to comment any further.

Racpack...this is a tough sport. i wrestled at RU until an offseason car accident so i am not armchair QB. You know how close it is...two matches left. AVOID a takedown for 5 seconds.

Originally posted by Racpack:
He is a redshirt senior. He was a former national qualifier also.... it's just frustrating

Well on the bright side...we're competing!! Took OSU and whisky down to final bouts...next step is winning a match like this!! And yes this hurts cuz we really had it...

There is no excuse for not get taking down in 5.se c when you know a shot is coming. I wrestled my whole life so im no arm chair qb.
Smith is the most frustrating wrestler to watch. How do you not take a single shot in these matches. I never seen a wrestler that is fine with being average. Every single time he has a tough opponent he clams up. I understand he isnt going to win but lets put forth a effort worth watching. Tough tough match. Perrotti did look like he had Six but rhat happens. This is going to hurt

Originally posted by jerzey devil:
Well on the bright side...we're competing!! Took OSU and whisky down to final bouts...next step is winning a match like this!! And yes this hurts cuz we really had it...
I agree. This loss stings because we had it.. Was going nuts when I read that Hrymack pulled off the upset. Second time this season he came up huge for us..remember this is a guy that never finished higher then 5th at states.

On the bright side; Ash (idk y ppl r saying he should have teched Thielke; Thielke was #4 overall prospect in his class and just hasn't lived up to his hs potential) and Theo looked good. Glad to hear how hard Pafumi fought and Hymack is slowly giving me hope at 197 and making me think campalawho?

I hope we can rebound against Northwestern. Vis is the only senior.. he needs to show the leadership. Didn't expect Scott to get majored and bakukus needs to win a close one. Still can feel the burn from this loss but a win at Northwestern may cure it ahh.

Laughable. Oh, but wait, the duals are irrelevant, right? It's all about all-americans. Everything else is meaningless. Isn't that what this staff has been humping since it got here?

No wonder that when the going gets tough in the last couple minutes, the other teams get tough and RU kids, for the most part, lie down. Third period problems -- fitness or leadership? Look, I know there's a talent gap at the upper weights, but these kids just let the points roll as if the margin of defeat doesn't matter ... it's not worth the effort to hold on ...

Maybe the staff is right and it's all about qualifiers and all-americans, but there's something to be said for developing a winning attitude.

What is getting lost in the discussion lately is the year Theo is having. I know he hasn't banged heads with some of the top 10 competition like others have, but he is completely taking control of his matches and riding guys out like a B1G wrestler. As frustrating as Mason's last season was a few years back, it gave Theo an opportunity to get his feet wet and he's improved every year since. Huge match coming up for him Sunday.

This post was edited on 2/7 9:07 AM by Jersey Boys

My thoughts for what they are worth. I was really upset last night like everyone else, but looking back we lost on criteria to #18 Wisconsin. Yes we had them beat up by 11 with three to go, but we put a scare in them and should have got the win.

Was it just the television coverage that made the attendance there look really bad? I did see some Rutgers shirts in the crowd!!!

Who expected the Hrymack upset at 197, Nice job!!!

Billy Smith does not wrestle offensively against top ranked kids. When you look at how tough heavyweight is in the Big Ten this season has been a grind that he has never seen before. No matches have been easy for him.

McCabe pulled out the needed win. I was surprised how easily Taylor handled DelVecchio. As well as Scott has been wrestling lately I guess I thought it would have been closer.

AA, Theo & AP all picked up majors that should have made the difference. (I thought AP had the fall).

Visicaro deserves credit for sticking with the team, I expected him to give up a major against Jordan, but 5 seconds.
dead.r191677.gif

Now I have to spend my Saturday off patching the hole in my wall.

Bakuckas has shown the ability to compete with the big guys. I thought he would come out on top in this one. If he raises his level between now and tourney time he can beat some of these guys.

Pafumi I have read a lot of people who said he wrestled tough last night. Maybe it was me but I didn't see much offense from him.

I hope they come out fired up for Northwestern. March is close and wins in march can make us forget all of these duals.

Fellow Deke

Goodale talked to Vis with 30 seconds left while they were challenging a call. Told him about staying away, a tech fall, etc. the only other thing he could have done is lasso him so he would run away with 5 seconds to go.

The Smith match was infuriating.... I cannot fathom not taking a shot there. He just let's time expire and loses... again. It's insanity. Probably similar to the way the McCall match felt for Wisky fans. Both just seemed absolutely fine with losing.

Did anyone see Perrotti going nuts on the sideline during Backuckas 3rd period? Scraming at him to take a shot. That was another frustrating one. After all of the tough matchups he has had, I expected him to go for broke last night, and was amazed he let it get away without much fight.

Theo is on fire. Hard work paying off and getting results, which every fan has to love. Can't wait for the Tsirtsis match.

While the dual results are annoying, its easy to look at the upside this year. Ash, Theo and Perotti are all wrestling strong. McCabe has been tough, better than expected, and Delvecchio is coming on strong and has a ton of confidence. If our guys perform at the Big Ten tourney, this year will look like a huge success when its all said and done.
This post was edited on 2/7 10:15 AM by Ole Cabbagehead

Seems like Delvecchio's match was just as bad as Visicaro's in terms of how it affected the team, maybe more so.

Coming off a big win over Dijulius and then Ryan Taylor nearly techs him. Certainly wasn't expecting that. He has to keep it to a regular decision.

http://www.onthebanks.com/2015/2/6/7994845/rutgers-wrestling-omg-criteria-decides-match-for-wisconsin

We are close. Yes, Delvecchio and Vis could have done better. Who expected Hrymack 's victory and ashnault, theobold, and Perrotti got 4 points for the team. Not happy with the loss. Happy about the future.

78College Ave: "Laughable. Oh, but wait, the duals are irrelevant, right? It's all about all-americans. Everything else is meaningless. Isn't that what this staff has been humping since it got here?"
Answer: Absolutely not. I have been very involved since day one of Coach Goodale era and this comment has zero grounding. please show me where they not some fan on this board has said be damned all elese but AAs? Perhaps you are referring to Penn State?
The wrestling community and the end of year rankings are based on March results. Nothing we can do about this. But our staff has said nothing of the sort regarding AA or bust. To the contrary in the Goodale/Leo era we have had more dual meet success than indidual breakthroughs. (Beating #3 VTech, etc.) You can only go so far with no all-americans, and the better teams will have indivuals that break through. It is nice to celebrate a But our staff has never said we are solely about All-Americans. We are very close with NWCA and Mike Moyer and hosted the National Duals a few years ago.
That being said, we need better balance. Next year we are decent at 125, super-deep in 133-157 ok at 165, and very shallow at 174, 184, 197, and HWT. In 174 & 285, we have legit top 20 starters, but not strong enough depth. (I love Pafumi and think he has a lot of upside. still a wildcard for now.)

This post was edited on 2/7 11:07 AM by josh1728

I was so pissed yesterday and decided to stay away from the board. I feel a little better now. Tough one for sure, but I see we got three real contenders for AA this year, and that's huge!

Josh -- how many signs in the room about TEAM? My memory is that there are signs about Rutgers needs NCAA champions, Rutgers needs B1G champions and Rutgers needs all-americans.

My point -- I get the feeling that duals are more important to the fans than the staff. Look, RU can't contend in the B1G without more talent and, yup, a-a kids will attract more talent more quickly than how the TEAM does on a Friday night in Wisconsin. I get it -- that's probably the best recruiting strategy.

So, my opinion based on watching the B1G matches is that the dual record is not the focus in Year 1. I hope they tear it up at the B1G, qualify 5 or 6, and then peak at the right time.

Originally posted by RUMatFan:

Visicaro deserves credit for sticking with the team, I expected him to give up a major against Jordan, but 5 seconds.
dead.r191677.gif

Now I have to spend my Saturday off patching the hole in my wall.
haha - that's good.

super frustrating to lose on criteria but come on, that was a great effort by the team. the coaches will handle the guys that did not finish the matches as they should have. im more pumped for the wins, especially Hrymack. what an outstanding match.

im also not worried about Smith and his lack of shots. im glad he's not shooting. desperate shots in the lower weights usually end in stalemates. HWT's end up giving up 6 team points.

a lot of positives from this match. matching a top 20 B1G team blow for blow on the road is impressive. looking forward to sunday's tilt in Chicago.

ADVERTISEMENT