ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano doing Schiano things yet again..

"Schiano said he needs to look at everything including himself."

Schiano should hire someone from outside to look at his own strengths and weaknesses... someone who is respected such as Urban Meyer. Meyer could probably make several recommendations quickly and help implement them as well.

Reactions: Unionst
He had a very good first year. He quickly turned around the mess he inherited and went 3-6 with no Spring practice and an abbreviated preseason.

He had a good second year going 5-7 while still working with a below average roster.

This year he was fair. I expected four wins but thought we’d look better.

He inherited a very bad team. I’m not ready to give up on him

Last edited:
We need a “moneyball” strategy in this day and age of NIL.

He should just go ahead and hire the Navy OC on the cheap to install the Flexbone. It’s what he wants: “safe”, complimentary offense that has good potential to keep us close until the 4th.

Then use the money he saved there to pay for a solid dual threat QB and good defensive players.

Get the dual threat QB that is undersized like the MD QB. He’d be far more affordable and perfect for Flexbone.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
I just don't get the blind loyalty to Schiano, This isn't 2000 and he wasn't coming off being labeled the next big thing at the U. People have 14 years to judge him as a head coach in 2022, his failed attempt at being an NFL head coach, 3 years as a DC at Ohio St and various other subplots between 2012-19. He was 28-48 in the Big East, 6 wins vs Syracuse, 5 wins Pitt. 5 wins South Florida, 5 UConn, 2-2 Temple 2-4 Cincy, 3-3 Louisville. There aren't many Leavitts, Wannstadts, Pasquolonis, or Edsalls in the B1G. He is 6-21 in the B1G, 2020-22. His best mark was 5-2 in 2006, the other 5-2 happened in 2012, and a bunch of 4-3s and 3-4s between 2005-11. which would put his ceiling at 5-4, 4-5 the next 5 years, maybe one 6-3 where he will probably lose some unexpected non conference to Toledo or Kent St that year.

He will never recruit with the likes of Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St, soon to be B1G members, USC or UCLA. He won't get more with less from recruits with his coaching.prowess, like Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota. That is listing 8 out of 15 teams. He was 0-11 vs West Virginia, he went 0-3 or 0-4 vs Miami, VA Tech, BC, Brian Kelly at Cincy. Perfect ceiling year for Schiano will be 8-4. He isn't beating UM, OSU, PSU, he's not beating USC with Lincoln Riley or UCLA with Chip Kelly, couldn't beat him at New Hampshire with Ricky Santos. Where is the quick fix coming from offensively? More portal which won't build chemistry for the 4th straight year. Schiano built it right the first time, not mish mosh of players from everywhere, he's become the Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska basketball coach, of Football.

What I saw was a defense frustrated at the failures of the offense time and time again at the end of the season like 2018 with Chris Ash. Yes that team lost to Buffalo 13-42 and Kansas 14-55 after knicking up half the team vs tOSU 3-52 that year but played tough for 9 B1G game, Rutgers 100 B1G opponents 273, Rutgers 105-309 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caliknight
I just don't get the blind loyalty to Schiano, This isn't 2000 and he wasn't coming off being labeled the next big thing at the U. People have 14 years to judge him as a head coach in 2022, his failed attempt at being an NFL head coach, 3 years as a DC at Ohio St and various other subplots between 2012-19. He was 28-48 in the Big East, 6 wins vs Syracuse, 5 wins Pitt. 5 wins South Florida, 5 UConn, 2-2 Temple 2-4 Cincy, 3-3 Louisville. There aren't many Leavitts, Wannstadts, Pasquolonis, or Edsalls in the B1G. He is 6-21 in the B1G, 2020-22. His best mark was 5-2 in 2006, the other 5-2 happened in 2012, and a bunch of 4-3s and 3-4s between 2005-11. which would put his ceiling at 5-4, 4-5 the next 5 years, maybe one 6-3 where he will probably lose some unexpected non conference to Toledo or Kent St that year.

He will never recruit with the likes of Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St, soon to be B1G members, USC or UCLA. He won't get more with less from recruits with his coaching.prowess, like Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota. That is listing 8 out of 15 teams. He was 0-11 vs West Virginia, he went 0-3 or 0-4 vs Miami, VA Tech, BC, Brian Kelly at Cincy. Perfect ceiling year for Schiano will be 8-4. He isn't beating UM, OSU, PSU, he's not beating USC with Lincoln Riley or UCLA with Chip Kelly, couldn't beat him at New Hampshire with Ricky Santos. Where is the quick fix coming from offensively? More portal which won't build chemistry for the 4th straight year. Schiano built it right the first time, not mish mosh of players from everywhere, he's become the Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska basketball coach, of Football.

Where do you see blind loyalty to GS?

And penalties. The team is very poorly coached. Anyone being honest can see that very clearly.
Mentioned during the brief time I listened on the radio yesterday.

It was like a “what the hell is going on with that” exasperation coming from the booth.

Reactions: Caliknight
I would let my son make his own decisions
ha, well that's worked out so well for so many kids in this generation right

look I get your point but you're missing mine and the reality of the decision making process of todays 18yr old kids. Last year college football saw the most amount of movement ever, ever! That in and of itself is a failure of the system, coaching, parenting, and more.

Cat's out of the bag now, it's a year by year look and there are no more 3-5yr rebuilds of which Greg still thinks he is in.

I'll remind everyone, NV was supposed to be the starter in year 3 and I strongly believe there isn't a single team in any p5 conference that would have him as their starter at this level.

ha, well that's worked out so well for so many kids in this generation right

look I get your point but you're missing mine and the reality of the decision making process of todays 18yr old kids. Last year college football saw the most amount of movement ever, ever! That in and of itself is a failure of the system, coaching, parenting, and more.

Cat's out of the bag now, it's a year by year look and there are no more 3-5yr rebuilds of which Greg still thinks he is in.

I'll remind everyone, NV was supposed to be the starter in year 3 and I strongly believe there isn't a single team in any p5 conference that would have him as their starter at this level.

About 20% of all college students at four year schools transfer before they graduate. The transfer rates of athletes was artificially low in the past because of the restrictions.

In my experience, it’s been the kids whose parents interfered in their college choice who have been the ones most likely to transfer.

About 20% of all college students at four year schools transfer before they graduate. The transfer rates of athletes was artificially low in the past because of the restrictions.

In my experience, it’s been the kids whose parents interfered in their college choice who have been the ones most likely to transfer.
It’s about the fit. So roughly 80% don’t.

I’d like to think a parent who has gone thru the process might be able to offer some assistance along the way.

Notice I said assist and not interfere, as there is a difference.

Shill…Wagner shouldn’t count. This year and next, and maybe even the year after that, we have 11 college football opponents and 1 scrimmage.
Virtually everyone does this. Georgia played Samford. Alabama played Austin Peay. TCU played Tarleton St. Even schools that don't play FCS opponents are playing at least someone from the very bottom of FBS such that it's a guaranteed win for any average or better FBS team.

Virtually everyone does this. Georgia played Samford. Alabama played Austin Peay. TCU played Tarleton St. Even schools that don't play FCS opponents are playing at least someone from the very bottom of FBS such that it's a guaranteed win for any average or better FBS team.
In the SEC they usually do it right before the big rivalry game. And no one even blinks.

Reactions: fluoxetine
IN his 3rd year he is 1-8, 4-8. This is not anyone elses team but his at this point. This isn't good enough and its not like we are seeing improvement. Any other school would say enough is enough

IN his 3rd year he is 1-8, 4-8. This is not anyone elses team but his at this point. This isn't good enough and its not like we are seeing improvement. Any other school would say enough is enough
Would they? I don’t think it is very common for coaches to be fired in three years barring scandal or complete and utter embarrassment (which would be something along the lines of 1-11, 0-9 not 4-8, 1-8)

Even if the signs are not there, it doesn’t seem particularly wise to me not to give any coach at least 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT