ADVERTISEMENT

Football Sean Gleeson officially out as OC; Nunz Campanile as interim OC

Nunzio can do these things: Get the offense lined up and ready. Eliminate dumb penalties. Teach the QB to avoid throwing into coverage. Get rid of the Langan package unless he’s gonna pass the ball. Make Brown your featured back. Don’t get too cute. Throw the ball over the middle, especially to Tight Ends. Teach your receivers how to run “legal” pick routes to free up their fellow receivers.

Last edited:
Please stop. I’m just ate.
Come on bro don’t say Wimsatt 😖
2 years and he can’t beat out the crap ahead of him. He’s a one talent player- running. Pass plays he has 1 read routes. If it’s open throw it, if not run.

Right now JL is the best on team

What style of offense functions effectively with a bad QB and below average OL play?
None. But the less complex and less reactive your offense is, the more likely you are to not have negative plays with a bad QB and below average OL play. Gleeson's offense is super complex and definitely reactive. Schiano favors an offense with very little complexity (I-formation, inside the tackles, wildcat mixed in).

Come on bro don’t say Wimsatt 😖
2 years and he can’t beat out the crap ahead of him. He’s a one talent player- running. Pass plays he has 1 read routes. If it’s open throw it, if not run.

Right now JL is the best on team
JL is great as the X factor, not QB. He can’t make the throw on the 1 read routes. He is a more physical runner than Wimsatt. But he is probably 4 years older.

I don’t want an innovative OC. We tried that too many times already. Just give me an OC with a decent track record. The bar is super low right now. Coaches want to work for GS because they can learn from him.
I think Greg is a good coach don't get me wrong, but learn from him as an OC, what has he accomplished in the B1G or any stop in his career on the offensive side of the ball?

I think Greg is a good coach don't get me wrong, but learn from him as an OC, what has he accomplished in the B1G or any stop in his career on the offensive side of the ball?
You think OC don’t want to be HC someday? That is what they can learn from GS.

Well.. game film may not help Indiana much. That's one positive.

And Nunzio cannot do worse than Gleeson.. right? (please tell me I am right).

I suspect.. for all those Schiano haters who want to claim it was Schiano holding back teh offense and Gleeson.. you will see an offense that Schiano wants versus Indiana. If it is not creative and is way too conservative.. then you will have won your point.

But if it looks better... more deceptive.. more creative.. more appropriate plays called in certain situations.. then you should surrender your point about Schiano and offense.
Or, Schiano has his scapegoat and allows NC a little more creativity out of desperation

You think OC don’t want to be HC someday? That is what they can learn from GS.
I just don't see it, we are not in the BE, he hasn't produced winning teams at any level for a long time. Don't get me wrong, somebody will take that job, but I guarantee it is a retread looking for a paycheck.

Reactions: SHUSource
I just don't see it, we are not in the BE, he hasn't produced winning teams at any level for a long time. Don't get me wrong, somebody will take that job, but I guarantee it is a retread looking for a paycheck.
You don’t see what? How many coaches that worked for Greg that are HCs now? Big pass on another Drew Mehringer or Sean Gleeson.

Doubt it. I think younger guy too naive to know it’s a puppet job.

Did you even watch the Nebraska game?? I admit our talent is not great and certainly needs to improve to compete in the B1G east but we could have and should be 5-1 right now. Adequate play calling would have won both those games
I guess we will find out.. I hope I’m wrong

No. But NV is short for the position. He’s listed at 6’1”, which means he’s barely 6’0”, at most. Can’t see the middle. Needs sideline angles.
If he's deep enough he can see fine... Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray can throw over the middle and they are shorter than Noah.

Reactions: RUDead
There are no shortage of those guys. I mean, that’s how you wound up with Schiano as HC again.

Having the third string quarterback for nearly all year didn’t help Gleason.
there were some issues for sure that were difficult for anyone doing their job.

That being said he certainly did not maximize the talent he did had and likely constrained it.

So GS let SG go because he didn’t like the offense that SG was running even though GS was actually the one controlling the offense?

I’m just trying to make sure I’m following everyone’s logic.

I'm also trying to follow the prevailing logic:

Everyone expected 4 wins this year so we're right on track - what's the problem.
Had to use a 3rd string QB!
Competed with Iowa offense!
Illinois just won 9 - 6, explosive offense isn't needed in the Big Ten
Coaches are paid for wins and we are right where everyone thought we would be.
It's a talent issue - can't expect chicken salad out of chicken shit.

I guess those excuses only applied to HC GS but not OC SG?

Reactions: Knight Shift
We have one of the best defenses and one of the worse offenses in the NCAA this was the right call. Fix the offense and we go bowling every year.

In Schiano's third season at Rutgers, the strides made by the defense had far outpaced the offense. Rutgers has the country's No. 14 total defense and the No. 16 third-down conversion percentage defense. The Scarlet Knights struggled to move the ball in recent losses to both Iowa and Nebraska.

Rutgers dismissed offensive coordinator Sean Gleeson on Sunday, the school announced.

The move was made in an attempt to jump-start the program's struggling offense, as Rutgers ranks No. 108 in total offense (334 yards per game), No. 104 in scoring offense (22.8 PPG) and No. 118 in team passing efficiency. Rutgers is 3-3 and 0-3 in the Big Ten after failing to score in the second half against Nebraska in a 14-13 loss Friday night.

Everyone expected 4 wins this year so we're right on track - what's the problem.

Yeah I mean that is my opinion.

I didn’t really have an issue with SG like some here. Was actually surprised when the notification popped up on my phone.

The beauty of these type of moves — we can look at the tangible results. All that matters is if we perform better. We’ll get the opportunity to compare.

Reactions: RU-05 and NickRU714
Yeah I mean that is my opinion.

I didn’t really have an issue with SG like some here. Was actually surprised when the notification popped up on my phone.

Just like OC Mehringer, I'm indifferent.
Not much to defend OC Gleeson.
Just want to keep the same hypothetical philosophy (up tempo, high scoring, fast offense).

Even if it was all HC Schiano controlling and dictating - OC SG was at least going along with it.

I always thought he was gone after this year anyway.
Either fired (HC Schiano had given him enough slack and he hung himself) or quit to try and preserve his career (it wasn't me - it was HC Schiano dictating the strategy).

The real question now is where does HC Schiano go next.

My first thought was Schiano is throwing Gleeson under the bus.

But as i thought more about it, better to make a change then to continue trying something that just isn’t working.

Still, bad offenses are not a new thing under Schiano.

Reactions: drewbagel423
How about another Jerry Kill or John "Instant Impact" McNulty?
They certainly weren't innovative.
You take a lot of shots at who we have had. Name two realistic names that would make you happy. People we could actually get that would satisfy you on at least the initial hire.

Just like OC Mehringer, I'm indifferent.
Not much to defend OC Gleeson.
Just want to keep the same hypothetical philosophy (up tempo, high scoring, fast offense).

Even if it was all HC Schiano controlling and dictating - OC SG was at least going along with it.

I always thought he was gone after this year anyway.
Either fired (HC Schiano had given him enough slack and he hung himself) or quit to try and preserve his career (it wasn't me - it was HC Schiano dictating the strategy).

The real question now is where does HC Schiano go next.
I’ll bet we see a failed HC. Dude like Ron Prince or something.

Reactions: NickRU714
You take a lot of shots at who we have had. Name two realistic names that would make you happy. People we could actually get that would satisfy you on at least the initial hire.
RichRod…GS should be really familiar with him. He’s HC at some small school now.

Reactions: MikeRU09
I’ll bet we see a failed HC. Dude like Ron Prince or something.
Oh goodness, please never. He is available though: "In December 2018, Prince was hired as the head coach for the Howard Bison.[18] In early November 2019, Prince was placed on administrative leave by the university, "after allegations of verbal abuse and intimidation of players."[19] The team was 1–8 at the time that Prince was placed on leave. On December 6, 2019, he resigned his position."

Would take Dan Mullen though.
How about Matt Canada from the Steelers?

SG was only a part of the problem. When you have very limited offensive talent it is tough to call a game. I like Nunz but whoever thinks he is going to call a 3 yard and a cloud of dust game just doesn't know him. He has a gunslinger mentality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT