ADVERTISEMENT

Season Prediction

RUbytheshore

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
I'm going to assume our offense improves by 5 ppg and the defense by 7 ppg due to coaching, increased size, improved conditioning, and genuine competition for playing time. That should be enough to improve from 4-8 (predicted by Massey) to 8-4 this season:

@Washington L 26-28
Howard W 57-0
New Mexico W 39-17
Iowa W 29-27
@Ohio St L 19-34
Michigan L 26-31
Illinois W 33-20
@Minnesota W 32-27
Indiana W 40-31
@Michigan St L 22-30
Penn St W 32-24
@Maryland W 36-27

Ideally this is what would happen realistically (really 7-5 if you don't include Iowa but we do always seem to have an upset each year) - this is with winning all the toss-up games: Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, & PSU. And to those who say NM/Wash are toss-ups, we really should lose to UW and really should beat NM. But really we don't know how we'll do against Illini IND MD etc. because for the first time arguably in 15 years, we really don't know what kind/level of a "team" we are.

15-0.
College_Football_Playoff_National_Championship_Trophy.jpg

I got 5-7 with much more competitive games. The PSU game will be our chance to reach 6 wins. I want to say win, but I think Ash is a year or two away from have a very good team.

@Washington L 14-28
Howard W 41-0
New Mexico W 31-17
Iowa L 21-24
@Ohio St L 13-35
Michigan L 21-31
Illinois W 35-21
@Minnesota L 21-27
Indiana W 33-31
@Michigan St L 17-31
Penn St L 21-24
@Maryland W 24-21

Reactions: cicero grimes
Washington: would be considered an upset,especially being away.
Howard: should be easy win
New Mexico: not as easy an opponent as might think, but home cooking does it.
Iowa : timing might be right and facing them at home a bonus.
Ohio St: on my wish list
Michigan: gotta hope
Illinois: RU should be good enough
Minnesota : might not be as good as thought, but game there makes it hard but possible
Indiana : Rutgers Stadium give RU the edge
Michigan St: another on wish list that can only hope for win
Penn St : will be coming in loaded for bear. Maybe leaving feeling like to much beer
Maryland : location might come into play, but should be winnable .

Notice I didn't put down any losses?
That's because : before season starts will not predict a RU loss to anyone.
Every game is winnable: if the stars align right :pray:

I'm going to assume our offense improves by 5 ppg and the defense by 7 ppg due to coaching, increased size, improved conditioning, and genuine competition for playing time. That should be enough to improve from 4-8 (predicted by Massey) to 8-4 this season:

@Washington L 26-28
Howard W 57-0
New Mexico W 39-17
Iowa W 29-27
@Ohio St L 19-34
Michigan L 26-31
Illinois W 33-20
@Minnesota W 32-27
Indiana W 40-31
@Michigan St L 22-30
Penn St W 32-24
@Maryland W 36-27
I think 5 wins is possible.

5-7 with the team getting better as the season wears on. Some close ones against teams with more talent with the team not laying down for anyone. Signing day ends strong.

Crazy senerio! Say Ash has a season to be remembered - only 3 losses and next year a top tier SEC team starts to court him. Does he leave RU after only 1 year? I don't know the guy well, so I really cannot opine. I hope our AD had the foresight to put some kind of crazy buyout clause in his contract. In re: the 3 losses, miracles do happen - way better odds than Leicester City winning the premier league last year. Finally, I know that the BIG has rules in regards to players transferring within the conf, are there any rules out there if a head coach from the BIG leaves his current team for an existing team in the BIG?

7-5

Washington- loss
Howard- win
New Mexico- win
Iowa- Loss
Ohio state- loss
Michigan- loss
Illinois- win
Minnesota- win
Indiana- win
Michigan state- loss
Penn state- win
Maryland- win

I'm new here so what better way to introduce myself than with a season prediction one week into Preseason Camp? [laughing]

Here it goes:

@Washington L (RU defense wont be ready, big time wake up call for rest of season)
Howard W (Blow out)
New Mexico W (Not as close as most people think)
Iowa L (Back to reality for RU in a tough loss at home to a still very strong Iowa)
@Ohio St L (MUCH closer game than expected, RU players "play up" for Coach ash)
Michigan L (Harbaugh being Harbaugh will probably run up the score...)
Illinois W (RU get back on the horse against a bad Illinois team at home)
@Minnesota L (First time opponent, away, wreaks of trap game to me)
Indiana W (Another high scoring affair with the home team taking it in the 4th qtr)
@Michigan St L (Let down game after the prior weeks craziness)
Penn St W (Chris Ash > Franklin)
@Maryland W (yet another wild come from behind finish to end the season between these 2 teams. If this trend continues i can see a legitimate Rivalry starting to develop here. Especially as these teams get better and these end of the year games become more important ie: Bowl eligibility, Conf Championships etc)

Result: 6-6

Seems like I have had the same problem every year with us having no clear leader under (or behind) the center.
Now we add the variables of change of staff with whole new idea of both offense and defense and who the hell knows?
Until I see something remotely promising, I am going with about 4 wins.

Howard looks like a sure win.
New Mexico, Illinois should be wins.
Washington, Iowa, OSU, Michigan, MSU look like sure losses.
Penn State should be a loss.

That puts you at 3-6 not including Minnesota, Indiana, Maryland.

Continues to look like a 4- or 5-win season to me.

4-8 with the low point being an embarassing loss in the opener at Washington.

Washington: W - Really don't think theyre as good as people predict
Howard: W - You know the deal
New Mexico: W - Closer than people think
Iowa: W - They graduate a lot of talent
Ohio State: L - Think we lose by 2 td's but the guy play for Ash
Michigan: W - This is my bold upset for the year because we need to put Harbaugh in his place
Illinois: W - We win on a late field goal. Game is a lot closer than it should be because of the Michigan win
Minnesota: L - Run out of juice from past two weeks
Michigan State: L - 2 late touchdowns gives MSU the advantage
Penn State: W - Senior night, Rivalry, It's Time.
Maryland: W - Think this will be the usual very tight game, maybe get a little chippy

Final Record: 9-3, surprise season

I think Allen will win the job and for some reason everything will all just click, just something about the energy around the program. The defense will be Vastly improved under Ash

Reactions: Knight Shift
I'm going out on a limb and predict somewhere between 1 and 7 wins. Not a lot to go on with a new staff and a two deep that has yet to be firmly established. Never been as unsure of how good/bad our team will be.

Laviano will start the first four games, and then Allen takes over from there.

@Washington L
Howard W
New Mexico W
Iowa L
@Ohio St L
Michigan L
Illinois W
@Minnesota L
Indiana L
@Michigan St L
Pen St W
@Maryland L

I think you're right there with a lot of us. The big question is do we break our "Flood-Slide" of 4-straight HC debacles or do we beat State Penn?

Howard, New Mexico, Illinois, State Penn
Howard, New Mexico, Indiana, State Penn
Howard, New Mexico, Illinois, Indiana

For those predicting 4 wins or less (lets say Howard, New Mexico, Illinois, Indiana), do you not think we have a fighting chance against Maryland or Minnesota?

I got 5-7 with much more competitive games. The PSU game will be our chance to reach 6 wins. I want to say win, but I think Ash is a year or two away from have a very good team.

@Washington L 14-28
Howard W 41-0
New Mexico W 31-17
Iowa L 21-24
@Ohio St L 13-35
Michigan L 21-31
Illinois W 35-21
@Minnesota L 21-27
Indiana W 33-31
@Michigan St L 17-31
Penn St L 21-24
@Maryland W 24-21

Wow. You give optimism a new meaning.

I think you're right there with a lot of us. The big question is do we break our "Flood-Slide" of 4-straight HC debacles or do we beat State Penn?

Howard, New Mexico, Illinois, State Penn
Howard, New Mexico, Indiana, State Penn
Howard, New Mexico, Illinois, Indiana

Hope we get to 6 wins and a Bowl.
Will be sick to my stomach seeing Yukon going bowling 2 straight seasons ( as predicated) and us sitting home for 2 straight seasons.

Outside of one game, here's my unbiased predictions:

@Washington L 17-34 (1 score game after 3 quarters)
Howard W 41-14
New Mexico W 28-24
Iowa L 13-27
@Ohio St L 6-45
Michigan L 10-35
Illinois W 27-17
@Minnesota L 17-28
Indiana L 45-48
@Michigan St L 20-48
Penn St W 28-24
@Maryland L 24-31

I think Indiana takes it to us this season.

Us?

Who's going to QB for them now that Sudfeld has moved on? Diamont? Lagrow the JC transfer? They're replacing their entire DL. You do know their defense was actually worse against the run AND pass than RU's last year? The games at RU. Rutgers has a bye the week before.

What have you got?

Crazy senerio! Say Ash has a season to be remembered - only 3 losses and next year a top tier SEC team starts to court him. Does he leave RU after only 1 year?
Of course not! We're a dream destination, aren't we?

Reality check: 3-5 wins...Still don't have the players to run the new offense..plus no big time playmakers besides Grant . Defense is also a big concern considering its performance the last 2 seasons..

Reactions: cicero grimes
Reality check: 3-5 wins...Still don't have the players to run the new offense..plus no big time playmakers besides Grant . Defense is also a big concern considering its performance the last 2 seasons..
I really think we're going to get good production from some other guys. Andre Patton comes to mind. There is just something around the program that has me optimistic

Us?

Who's going to QB for them now that Sudfeld has moved on? Diamont? Lagrow the JC transfer? They're replacing their entire DL. You do know their defense was actually worse against the run AND pass than RU's last year? The games at RU. Rutgers has a bye the week before.

What have you got?

I'll save this post and see who's right the night of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT