ADVERTISEMENT

Security Enforcement of rules at stadium...

While I agree rules are rules and exist for a reason....it’s going to get harder and harder over the years to give some people a reason to actually spend the money and go to a game, be it college football, NFL or whatever. If the hassle isn’t worth the cost, then eventually it leaves a bad taste in the consumer’s mouth and that’s pretty much the bottom line. Not a Rutgers problem but a live entertainment problem in my humble opinion.

It's only a hassle if you allow it to be.

The rules are quite simple. Follow them and your experience will be better.

Not end of story... if rules are so onerous and prohibitive as to drive ticket holders away and impact attendance than that is bad policy. Ultimately it’s the fans that have the power. The on the field product isn’t good enough to warrant tactics that negatively effect the in stadium experience. It’s been mentioned enough and by too many different sources that it’s clearly an issue the AD needs to deal with. When the fans decide to not come back, then that is the end of story.

tenor.gif

. . .
My girlfriends wallet was 1/8th of an inch too big . . .

This part is what raises my eyebrows. Was it 1/8 inch too long, tall or deep? Did security actually measure the wallet with a ruler of some sort and tell your girlfriend it was too big by that amount?

While the ball was a risky choice to bring to the gate, son or not, an eighth of an inch on a wallet seems like something that security would/should let go.

People need to get over it and adjust.

I got over it and adjusted....I watch on TV. I suspect that's what OP will do next time or find something else to do with his SO, child and discretionary dollars. Extrapolate across the population and it's no mystery why CFB is having attendance problems with such draconian rules (measuring wallets, etc)

Why do we need multiple threads about people complaining about security because they don’t think the rules apply to them. Every thing this guy complained about is written in the rules.

I got over it and adjusted....I watch on TV. I suspect that's what OP will do next time or find something else to do with his SO, child and discretionary dollars. Extrapolate across the population and it's no mystery why CFB is having attendance problems with such draconian rules (measuring wallets, etc)

Stop.

Stop acting the results on the field or the prices aren’t the reason you sit at home now. Measuring wallets has nothing to do with it.

Not true- no stadium is worse than RU. It's got to change or else nobody will go!
What made you decide to leave twitter and start ranting here this season? Did you complain about Prep this much?

Yeah, that’s sound advice - tell a 15 year season ticket holder and alum to find another team.
So you just don't want to follow rules and just want to complain. Big deal about being a 15 year season ticket holder. I'm a 30 year season ticket holder and on the Honor Roll for donations. I think you said you are in the upper deck and move down in the 2nd quarter. That pretty much means you don't donate jack. I guess we don't deserve your fandom.

Reactions: TRU2RU and ru66
People need to get over it and adjust.

They're the NFL rules which CFB adopted.

You can bring a baseball to pretty much every baseball stadium in America

And many times when a visiting teams hit a home run the home fans will literally throw a ball back onto the field
From the Yankees site. No projectiles allowed. If you bring in a ball, you are most likely smuggling it in.

PROHIBITED ITEMS
Guests may not carry/bring the following items into the Stadium:

• any bag larger than 16 inches by 16 inches by 8 inches
  • briefcases, coolers or other hard-sided bags or containers
  • glass, cans, aluminum bottles or thermoses
  • laser pens
  • selfie sticks
  • mono/tripods or other professional camera equipment
  • video cameras or other equipment designed for the sole purpose of video and/or audio recording
  • drones
  • laptop computers
  • firearms, knives or weapons of any kind
  • alcohol
  • illegal drugs or substances
  • brooms, poles, staffs or sticks
  • baseball bats of any size
  • television sets, excluding television substitutes such as tablets
  • animals (except service animals to aid Guests with disabilities)
  • air horns or other distracting noisemakers
  • any devices that may interfere with and/or distract any sports or event participant, other Guest, audio or audio/visual telecast or recording of the game, match or event, or any technology-related service provided in the Stadium
  • helmets (e.g., bicycle helmets, motorcycle helmets or baseball helmets)
  • masks or costumes
  • projectiles (e.g., Frisbees or beach balls)
  • aerosol cans (e.g., mace, pepper spray, hairspray or sunscreen)
  • confetti or glitter
  • fireworks
  • visible obscene, indecent or inappropriate clothing
Such items will be prohibited from being brought into the Stadium. There is no storage area for these items. Guests arriving by public transportation should take particular care not to bring any prohibited items, as no exceptions will be made. Yankee Stadium management reserves the right to change or modify this policy without notice.

From the Yankees site. No projectiles allowed. If you bring in a ball, you are most likely smuggling it in.

PROHIBITED ITEMS

• laser pens
  • selfie sticks
  • video cameras or other equipment designed for the sole purpose of video and/or audio recording
  • drones
  • laptop computers
  • alcohol
  • any devices that may interfere with and/or distract any sports or event participant, other Guest, audio or audio/visual telecast or recording of the game, match or event, or any technology-related service provided in the Stadium
  • masks or costumes
  • confetti or glitter
  • fireworks
Such items will be prohibited from being brought into the Stadium. There is no storage area for these items. Guests arriving by public transportation should take particular care not to bring any prohibited items, as no exceptions will be made. Yankee Stadium management reserves the right to change or modify this policy without notice.
We are just wasting our time. The RU is the worst crowd will never be satisfied. Doesn’t matter that we have the same rules as the majority of the country

Right. He should have followed the rules. And pray he isn’t going next week because OSU’s rules are far worse

You know this how ?
I have been to 2 games at Ohio St. and did not notice anything different. You are allowed to bring empty water bottles into OSU for filling . Don’t think we allow this.

On a side note, OSU allows beer sales. Last season OSU had $1.3 million in Beer revenue.
More than our overall Concession revenue in a season.

do they sell baseballs at the stadium? I have never looked, does RU sell any type of souvenir ball?

PROHIBITED ITEMS

• laser pens
  • selfie sticks
  • drones
  • laptop computers
  • alcohol
  • masks or costumes
  • confetti or glitter
  • fireworks

PROHIBITED ITEMS

• laser pens
  • selfie sticks
  • drones
  • laptop computers
  • alcohol
  • masks or costumes
  • confetti or glitter
  • fireworks

Back in the old days, long time Rutgers Football Fan here, there was a guy who used to bring in a bullhorn with him to the games.
This was in the 1960s. It was great!! He would make funny comments about the game and was very funny. He also had an accent which only added to how funny it was. He sat near me on the old visitor side of old, old Rutgers Stadium at about the 50 yard line.

How did we go from enjoying someone with a bullhorn in the stands to measuring wallets and stopping mini footballs and bottle caps from coming inside the stadium?!!

Our society needs a huge laxative.

So you just don't want to follow rules and just want to complain. Big deal about being a 15 year season ticket holder. I'm a 30 year season ticket holder and on the Honor Roll for donations. I think you said you are in the upper deck and move down in the 2nd quarter. That pretty much means you don't donate jack. I guess we don't deserve your fandom.

Quite the smug prick you are, I see. The number of RU's season ticket holders ha dropped about 30 percent in 2 years. I hope the D isn't as cavalier about those of us who are left as you are.

Reactions: ruman1976
Stop.

Stop acting the results on the field or the prices aren’t the reason you sit at home now. Measuring wallets has nothing to do with it.

Maybe measuring wallets means nothing to you.
But you cannot say what will be the last straw for someone else.
The change in water policy and the confiscation of that extreme security threat
I tried to bring into the stadium, a 1 ounce packet of Planters peanuts, helped push me from 20 year season ticket holder to stay at home and watch on TV fan. Add the uncertainty of parking assignment every year
(and getting demoted three levels and marooned out to Tan when my rep told me my donation level was safe for Black), seeing the MC Sherriffs nonsense in Yellow, having people who pay $15 a ticket sit next to me in my $60 seats, ...etc...It all adds up.

Reactions: RUaMoose

Honor this.
We should all now kiss the ring on your finger.

You know this how ?
I have been to 2 games at Ohio St. and did not notice anything different. You are allowed to bring empty water bottles into OSU for filling . Don’t think we allow this.

On a side note, OSU allows beer sales. Last season OSU had $1.3 million in Beer revenue.
Because they are. Just read them. Yes we allow Empty water bottles. You are arguing a point while admitting you don’t even know our rules.

I have tried to bring in an empty water bottle, only to be told "no". So they are not allowed.

For the "rules are rules" crowd...if they said that next home game, due to "homeland security" guidelines, all fans had to enter the stadium on their hands and knees, would you blindly do it? Or would you question and challenge the policy because it didnt make sense?

Thats all I and others are doing with the policy that doesnt allow food and drink--it is a policy that doesnt make sense and so it is being challenged. Perhaps if the quality and price of the concessions were improved many of us wouldnt feel the need to bring in outside food and drink.

Reactions: LC-88 and RUaMoose
I have tried to bring in an empty water bottle, only to be told "no". So they are not allowed.

For the "rules are rules" crowd...if they said that next home game, due to "homeland security" guidelines, all fans had to enter the stadium on their hands and knees, would you blindly do it? Or would you question and challenge the policy because it didnt make sense?

Thats all I and others are doing with the policy that doesnt allow food and drink--it is a policy that doesnt make sense and so it is being challenged. Perhaps if the quality and price of the concessions were improved many of us wouldnt feel the need to bring in outside food and drink.
Challenge all you want but bitching every year here obviously doesn’t work. Not to mention, school will just say majority of stadiums don’t allow outside food or drink.

You know this how ?

We do. I came through the gate with a family who brought their own.

some of the same complainers who if an incident happened would say RU is the problem for its lack of policies--you know who they are --the ones who are always unhappy about something and relish complaining --sad , unhappy, malcontents who have a perverse need to attack "their" school

There I was, all alone in a concession line on the east side of the stadium contemplating the meaning of life and what to buy for me and my kids to get us through the game. I order 3 waters to start since we're on the sunny side of the stadium. Damn nooners. The nice young lady behind the counter barks the order to her colleagues in the back and a few moments pass. I decide to throw caution to the wind and add a hot dog for me along with a pretzel for my kids. I begin to wonder how I will get this bounty down the long flight of stairs back to my seat without significant spillage. Even if I use a tray, it seems like a daunting task. It doesn't even occur to me one of the stadium attendants might ask to see my ticket stub (thankfully, they don't). As I was cursing my absence of forethought in not smuggling bottle caps in my pocket as suggested by my tailgate crew, the nice young lady tallies my order quickly in her head. Maybe there is hope for the next generation. It comes to $22 and I give her a twenty and two singles, not wanting to tempt fate with the credit card machine. I consider the price to be neither a good nor bad deal. My attention shifts to the monitor next to the concession and I watch the ensuing Davidowicz kickoff sail into the end zone. I could get used to seeing that. A few more seconds pass. Lo and behold, for the first time in many years, I am handed 3 CAPPED water bottles along with my food.

giphy.gif

[FADE OUT]
$22, lol.

Because they are. Just read them. Yes we allow Empty water bottles. You are arguing a point while admitting you don’t even know our rules.

That's interesting, seeing as I've been prohibited multiple times from bringing empty water bottles into Rutgers stadium over the past 2-3 seasons. Meanwhile, they missed the multiple snack bars/bags of chips i had in my shorts and/or hoodies.

Additionally, I fully understand that rules are rules and they're going to be enforced. But where RU continues to piss me off is the weekly e-mailed game day guide, where they write "due to homeland security guidelines", no outside food or beverages are allowed inside the stadium; that is inherently bullshit, seeing as all US sports stadiums would have that same policy if they were actually following Homeland Security guidelines. This particular policy was officially instituted by RU as a knee-jerk reaction after the terrorist was setting off bombs in Seaside heights and Manhattan 2 years ago, and was continued under the foolish guise of attempting to force more people to buy concessions inside the stadium. Just tell me the real reason for the policy or give no reason at all, and I'll shut up/move on and keep sneaking in the snacks/food that I want...

Reactions: Local Shill
Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth.

Here is Homeland Security’s Sports Venue Bag Search Procedures Guide. Section 6 covers recommendations for restricted items https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/sports-venue-bag-search-guide-508.pdf. No mention of plastic water or soda bottles or food.

Here is Homeland Security’s Best Practices for sports venues security. Page 102 begins the discussion on stadium entrance procedures for patrons. http://ccicada.org/wp-content/uploa...es-Anti-Terrorism-Security-Resource-Guide.pdf. RU isn’t following a few of the strong recommendations on that page and other pages. That would be consistent with what some posters in the security industry have alluded to when they say that they’ve tried to talk to RU but got nowhere.

Here is RU’s own webpage with a prominent link to the HSA Best Practices. http://ccicada.org/tag/rutgers-university/

The thing that frustrates me the most is the fact that the things they are prioritizing with these rules are ridiculous. I wouldn't be as annoyed as I am about this if they actually took security seriously at RU but they don't. If you don't have a bag you can walk right into the stadium, no metal detector, no pat down, nothing. If someone wanted to do something bad it would actually be relatively easy to do as long as they didn't have a bag. That's the scary part. Yet, they are worried about wallets, balls, food and water. How about worrying about keeping us safe? If I honestly thought that's what they were doing I would have no problem.

I am a Giants season ticket holder too, I wouldn't try to bring anything in there because they actually take it serious. You have to walk through a metal detector and get patted down/wanded to get in. That's not the case at RU and that's why I have a big problem with they way they handle security. Would like to see them actually prioritize safety and not trying to nickle and dime us so we buy more water/food/souvenirs etc. It seems like they just randomly point at people tell them they cant bring in random things but they don't actually screen everybody, or even close to everybody.

Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth.

Here is Homeland Security’s Sports Venue Bag Search Procedures Guide. Section 6 covers recommendations for restricted items https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/sports-venue-bag-search-guide-508.pdf. No mention of plastic water or soda bottles or food.

Here is Homeland Security’s Best Practices for sports venues security. Page 102 begins the discussion on stadium entrance procedures for patrons. http://ccicada.org/wp-content/uploa...es-Anti-Terrorism-Security-Resource-Guide.pdf. RU isn’t following a few of the strong recommendations on that page and other pages. That would be consistent with what some posters in the security industry have alluded to when they say that they’ve tried to talk to RU but got nowhere.

Here is RU’s own webpage with a prominent link to the HSA Best Practices. http://ccicada.org/tag/rutgers-university/
How ironic. Rutgers University runs the DHS research center that developed the DHS best practices guidelines for stadium security, and those guidelines aren't followed by Rutgers Athletics.

Maryland's Policy - looks familiar

Prohibited in Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium
The Big Ten promotes good sportsmanship by student-athletes, coaches and spectators. We request your cooperation in helping to maintain a family-friendly environment for fans of all ages, and in supporting the student-athletes, coaches and officials in a positive manner. Profanity or actions to incite, intimidate or threaten others will not be tolerated and are grounds for removal from the site of competition. The list of items and/or activities prohibited during athletic competitions and events are as follows:

• Pets*
  • Outside Food or Drink of any kind*
  • Chair Backs - Please refer to the Chair Back Policy for more information
  • Illegal Substances
  • Fireworks / Firearms
  • Weapons (both real and facsimiles)
  • Flammables of any kind
  • Laser Pointers
  • Artificial Noisemakers
  • Strollers
  • Skateboards / Bicycles
  • Dangerous or Disruptive Behavior
  • Signage, Apparel or other Items that display, depict or represent recognizable symbols and/or words, including nooses and swastikas, that incite, intimidate, or threaten members of the University of Maryland community.
  • Sign Poles or Sign Sticks
  • Smoking
  • Soliciting / Loitering / Trespassing
  • Video Cameras
  • Umbrellas
  • Backpacks / Bags that are not clear and over 12" x 6" x 12". Please refer to Bag Policy for more information.
  • Resale of Ticket
  • Pass-Outs / Re-Entry
*Exceptions will be made for those with medical requirements and/or special needs.

Beginning with the 2016 football season, a new bag policy will be instituted at all Maryland Football, Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball games. Policy details are included below:

BAG POLICY

• Fans will only be able to carry the following style and size bag into the stadium all of which are subject to search.
  • Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12" x 6" x 12"
  • One-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar)
  • Small clutch bags, measuring 4.5" x 6.5" with or without a handle or strap
  • All other bags will not be permitted. A list of prohibited bags includes, but is not limited to: purses, backpacks, drawstring bags that are not clear, briefcases, coolers, fanny packs, luggage, computer bags, camera bags, binocular cases and diaper bags. Guests are encouraged to return unauthorized items to their vehicles. The University of Maryland cannot safeguard items that are not permitted into the stadium.

The thing that frustrates me the most is the fact that the things they are prioritizing with these rules are ridiculous. I wouldn't be as annoyed as I am about this if they actually took security seriously at RU but they don't. If you don't have a bag you can walk right into the stadium, no metal detector, no pat down, nothing. If someone wanted to do something bad it would actually be relatively easy to do as long as they didn't have a bag. That's the scary part. Yet, they are worried about wallets, balls, food and water. How about worrying about keeping us safe? If I honestly thought that's what they were doing I would have no problem.

I am a Giants season ticket holder too, I wouldn't try to bring anything in there because they actually take it serious. You have to walk through a metal detector and get patted down/wanded to get in. That's not the case at RU and that's why I have a big problem with they way they handle security. Would like to see them actually prioritize safety and not trying to nickle and dime us so we buy more water/food/souvenirs etc. It seems like they just randomly point at people tell them they cant bring in random things but they don't actually screen everybody, or even close to everybody.

Exactly. We don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes, but as far as the security measures that the fan has personal experience with RU is not doing many of the things strongly recommended by HSA to control real risks and instead has chosen to implement a lot of nickel and dime stuff that accomplishes almost nothing.

These are probably the best points in all these threads.

Anything that someone could fit in any type of bag/purse could easily be stored in someone’s pocket.

I think eventually we’re gonna have metal detectors which would probably solve and streamline all of this nonsense but then we’re gonna have to wait an extra 30 minutes to enter the stadium.

For NFL games I usually try and be in line 45 mins prior to kickoff and the wait to enter MLB stadiums has drastically increased since they added detectors.

Reactions: RUknights10
Quite the smug prick you are, I see. The number of RU's season ticket holders ha dropped about 30 percent in 2 years. I hope the D isn't as cavalier about those of us who are left as you are.
So everything I wrote was correct. Thanks for confirming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT