ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-OT: 4-star F Kanon Catchings asks Purdue for release from LOI

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
It's all over Twitter that Purdue's top-ranked recruit, 4-star F Kanon Catchings, has asked for and received a release from his Letter of Intent.

The kid is from Indiana, so I'm sure the Hoosiers will be all over him. There isn't any information on why he asked out of his LOI.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
I wonder if he got offered a better $$$$$$ deal from Indiana.

We continue to have fans acting as if this can't happen at RU, if it happens at Purdue, it can happen anywhere.

I'll go out on a limb here. Money wins the day and someone tried to come in and swoop in with more dough. College athletics on the auction block. Amateur athletics turning the tide towards professional status.

I'll go out on a limb here. Money wins the day and someone tried to come in and swoop in with more dough. College athletics on the auction block. Amateur athletics turning the tide towards professional status.
College is now professional.. not amateur

Is he related to Harvey Catchings and his famous elbow pads?
Grandfather!

Harvey Catchings is the father of WNBA former star Tamika Catchings, who played for the Indiana Fever. His other daughter, Tauja, played college basketball for Illinois. His grandson through Tauja is Kanon.

Harvey Catchings memory: in a game at the RAC in 1979 when he played for the Nets, I saw him shockingly score 15 points in the 4th quarter of a game. His career average was 3.2 ppg.

197903200NJN.jpg

Last edited:
Grandfather!

Harvey Catchings is the father of WNBA former star Tamika Catchings, who played for the Indiana Fever. His other daughter, Tauja, played college basketball for Illinois. His grandson through Tauja is Kanon.

Harvey Catchings memory: in a game at the RAC in 1979 when he played for the Nets, I saw him shockingly score 15 points in the 4th quarter of a game. His career average was 3.2 ppg.

197903200NJN.jpg
I was there for the middle part of that game. I was working in the parking lot waving around a flashlight during the beginning and during the end, so I missed Catchings’ 15 points.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Grandfather!

197903200NJN.jpg
The Jackson on the Nets was Phil, I think it was his last season in the league.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
We need to find the other 3,714 people that saw it.

That is Albert King, correct?
It was Bernard, in his second year in the league.

Other interesting tidbits from this game: Dick Vitale was the Detroit head coach... Eddie Jordan had one of the best offensive games in his NBA career...

Amazingly, I can reel off the first names of every player in the box score. Can I win a prize for that? 🤣

Last edited:
Grandfather!

197903200NJN.jpg
that's pretty sick you have the box score. Is King = Bernard King, not Albert King (he joined Nets later I think)?
Superscorer Williamson I see on the box score...

I was too young to follow Nets at that time...didn't start until 82-83...and then got hooked when they upset the then-defending champs 76ers in 2/7 first round match-up (first 7 to win I think) in 84 playoffs

Grandfather!

197903200NJN.jpg
Some of the more obsolete names recognized are Tim Bassett / Jan van Breda Kolff / Wilson Washington.

Pistons: Leon Douglass / Ben poquette/ Bob Lanier / Kevin porter (?) / terry Tyler (?)

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Reactions: IMARUFAN
that's pretty sick you have the box score. Is King = Bernard King, not Albert King (he joined Nets later I think)?
Superscorer Williamson I see on the box score...

I was too young to follow Nets at that time...didn't start until 82-83...and then got hooked when they upset the then-defending champs 76ers in 2/7 first round match-up (first 7 to win I think) in 84 playoffs
Not Superscorer, Super John.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT