ADVERTISEMENT

Semi OT: Tennessee Football

I’m going to say they don’t really care
Probably. But they showed themselves to be fans with higher standards for winning and their program kept trying until they found a great coach to deliver. Rutgers fans demanded the AD settle for good enough. That's why the program doesn't rise.

Reactions: Obadiah Plainman
The crazy part is that Schiano worked for those great Miami teams that were amazing on both sides of the ball. We really need a high powered offense on the field that can put up points even if the talent doesn't exist(playcalling helps here). Then our defense becomes even stronger as a result

The Tennessee comparisons are absurd.

after the Ash disaster placed Rutgers in the absolute basement of college football there was no way Rutgers was going to get the caliber of coach that some of you think.

Rutgers was EASILY one of the hardest sells (bottom 5 for sure) in all of major college football to attract a coach. That was NEVER the case for Tennessee. Not even close.

I continue to believe that Schiano was our best (realistic!) option at the time .

for the reasons above I didn’t blame the Tennessee fans for not liking the Schiano choice (the means where distasteful though)

after the Ash disaster placed Rutgers in the absolute basement of college football there was no way Rutgers was going to get the caliber of coach that some of you think.

Rutgers was EASILY one of the hardest sells (bottom 5 for sure) in all of major college football to attract a coach. That was NEVER the case for Tennessee. Not even close.

I continue to believe that Schiano was our best (realistic!) option at the time .

for the reasons above I didn’t blame the Tennessee fans for not liking the Schiano choice (the means where distasteful though)
We heard this same argument in the Big East. Now we're in the Big Ten, with big paychecks coming, yet still we're as undesirable as McNeese State.

Reactions: AnklePicker1
Tennessee fans smile every time they see a Rutgers score
Even this one? See how this works?

7WyuUllNHMCw8Fq0

We heard this same argument in the Big East. Now we're in the Big Ten, with big paychecks coming, yet still we're as undesirable as McNeese State.
Key word is coming. Big pay checks are not here yet and with limited fan support (financially).

Reactions: shields
Key word is coming. Big pay checks are not here yet and with limited fan support (financially).
If you don't think the chance to coach in the Big Ten makes Rutgers desirable I don't know what to say. But I find it ironic that we have people claiming to be great fans who run down our university and program all the time by saying nobody wants to come here. I can't think of a more anti-Rutgers thing to write. Syracuse fans would agree. Smh.

Reactions: Shelby65
If you don't think the chance to coach in the Big Ten makes Rutgers desirable I don't know what to say. But I find it ironic that we have people claiming to be great fans who run down our university and program all the time by saying nobody wants to come here. I can't think of a more anti-Rutgers thing to write. Syracuse fans would agree. Smh.
LOL….really twisting it. Low pay and tough turnaround makes it less desirable for coaches people want. There are ton of coaches that want the job but none are that desirable.

LOL….really twisting it. Low pay and tough turnaround makes it less desirable for coaches people want. There are ton of coaches that want the job but none are that desirable.
Is Cincinnati a super desirable place? Yet they get good coaches a lot. Promote someone from down below. Not a hard concept to grasp. Too many of our fans think the route to success is to build ourselves into an Ohio State with facilities and NIL money and gold-plated coaches. It doesn't work that way.

I would argue that the "coaches people want" are the wrong coaches though.

Is Cincinnati a super desirable place? Yet they get good coaches a lot. Promote someone from down below. Not a hard concept to grasp. Too many of our fans think the route to success is to build ourselves into an Ohio State with facilities and NIL money and gold-plated coaches. It doesn't work that way.

Hire for coaching, not recruiting.

3 ways to succeed: be first, be smarter or cheat.
Well we don't cheat.

Will never be first. Those other schools will always outspend us.

Need to be (and coach) smarter.

I would argue that the "coaches people want" are the wrong coaches though.
Many of them are certainly overpaid washouts. Rutgers doesn't have the ability to grab top notch talent either on the field or the sidelines. We have to find under-recruited coaches the same as players. But we have fans who think if donors pony up enough cash we'll buy a Nick Saban or a similar blue chip guy and that will fix everything. They can't be dissuaded from this mindset.

Reactions: NickRU714
maybe be quiet then.
Rutgers should be a plum position , but like anything else it depends on what's being offered and that isn't just salary and prestige.
Coaches on the upswing don't want to take a position that is setting them up to fail by having the athletic department try to invest as little as possible .
No potential HC will accept a position if they think the program needs a lot of fixing and the leaders don't want to pay what it will take..
They'll show intreast, revive an offer, tell what it will take for them to accept with their counter p[roposeal, then go back to where hey were if the school doesn't pony up the minimum salary and program support they'll accept..

Being B1G is a plus, but not willing to spend what it takes turns the best away and the rest usually isn't good enough.

By the way, why care what Syracuse fans think, unless you want to think like they do about RU.
The god l;ike HC you feel is there now, wasn't so god like the last couple of years and was on the hot seat with the fanbase.
But to some RU fans posting here Dino is in the Saban class because he's having a good year this year after some misable ones

maybe be quiet then.
Rutgers should be a plum position , but like anything else it depends on what's being offered and that isn't just salary and prestige.
Coaches on the upswing don't want to take a position that is setting them up to fail by having the athletic department try to invest as little as possible .
No potential HC will accept a position if they think the program needs a lot of fixing and the leaders don't want to pay what it will take..
They'll show intreast, revive an offer, tell what it will take for them to accept with their counter p[roposeal, then go back to where hey were if the school doesn't pony up the minimum salary and program support they'll accept..

Being B1G is a plus, but not willing to spend what it takes turns the best away and the rest usually isn't good enough.

By the way, why care what Syracuse fans think, unless you want to think like they do about RU.
The god l;ike HC you feel is there now, wasn't so god like the last couple of years and was on the hot seat with the fanbase.
But to some RU fans posting here Dino is in the Saban class because he's having a good year this year after some misable ones
Lol I never said a good thing about Babers. Quit while you're behind. And why not go after "fans" who say nobody wants to coach at Rutgers and coaches don't get support instead of critics of Saint Schiano? That's bulls--t. It's the worst kind of self-loathing.

Cincinnati was smart to hire a Ohio guy. Like Rutgers hiring a NJ guy. Don’t think Luke Fickell would have success here.

Lol I never said a good thing about Babers. Quit while you're behind. And why not go after "fans" who say nobody wants to coach at Rutgers and coaches don't get support instead of critics of Saint Schiano? That's bulls--t. It's the worst kind of self-loathing.
lol, guess I took "Syracuse fans would agree. Smh." statement as someone with close ties to that school's fanbase and thinks like them .

Schiano ended the fruit's domination and that fanbase hates him for that.
As for you're Saint Schiano comment, just proves you do have something in common with the fruit fanbase.

You in your putdowns refuse to acknowledge how the RU building project might be harder than other places because of the lack of support in the l;ocal media for years and that Rutgers hasn't had a winning tradition since it moved up to playing a major league schedule .
The winning started with Greg1,but constant minor bowl appearances aren't the stuff of Sainthood..
Because of that you and some others make like Greg2 is a repeat of the Shea era and refuse to admit last year was better than expected and this year isn't proof of failure.

Quit while I'm behind, no I prefer to stay ahead speaking the truth and fighting those who gave up and want others to do the same.

So I say to you and others that bring in darkness instead of looking for the light
You got me runnin', goin' out of my mind
You got me thinkin' that I'm wastin' my time
Don't bring me down
No, no, no, no, no
Ooh-ooh-hoo
I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor
Don't bring me down
You wanna stay out with your fancy friends
I'm tellin' you, it's got to be the end
Don't bring me down
No, no, no, no, no
Ooh-ooh-hoo
I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor
Don't bring me down
(Jeff Lynne gets my apologies for me using his songwriting skills in this thread in defense of a future winning program and the coach that will lead the way back to respectability)

UCF was more successful before Heupel

UCF was 13-0 in Scott Frost's final year 2017..

2018 12-1 UCF
2019 10-3 UCF
2020 6-4 UCF
2021 7-6 Vols
2022 6-0 vols.. so far..

So.. was the Vol's hire of Heupel a sure thing? Is it a sure thing going forward? Or is this just pure chance of everything coming together.. or a fantastic amount of legal-or-otherwise cheating to buy a team?

Seeing UCF go from 12-1 to 6-4 under Heupel.. I can't believe anyone here would say.. damn, we got to hire that guy.

Reactions: redking
I think Alabama's corners are vulnerable and I'd think Tenn can take advantage of that more than most teams in the country but we'll see.

I just watched a recording of the game.
I wanted to see how one WR got 5 TDs in 6 catches
Bama had its safeties playing up tight
TN would stack a couple WRs on the outside forcing decisions by CB
Jalin Hyatt would break inside on the seam where he had outrun the corner and there would be no safety
The corners looked slow but the defense was also inviting big gains.

"Nick Saban diagnosed the 52-49 defeat as a “collective loss,” citing execution, penalties a lack of energy. Yet, to a casual observer and box score analyst, one Alabama defensive issue that first sprung to light against Texas in Week 2 resurfaced over a month later in Knoxville: pass coverage...The Volunteers, specifically Jalin Hyatt, faced little resistance from the Tide secondary. Quarterback Hendon Hooker did throw his first interception of the year, but he also orchestrated the best offensive performance against an Alabama defense in 115 years (Sewanee mustered 54 points in 1907). Hyatt also set a Tennessee record with five touchdowns and 207 yards.

The issues were created by schematic inefficiencies and individual letdowns."

Full game minus the fluff

Ha ha but Not so. Very high pay for the results he delivers. He’s made 10 million so far of the 32. Wagner, Temple, etc don’t count. How much money is that for each conference win ? he’s stealing salary.

We would do just as well paying half that.

UCF was more successful before Heupel

UCF was 13-0 in Scott Frost's final year 2017..

2018 12-1 UCF
2019 10-3 UCF
2020 6-4 UCF
2021 7-6 Vols
2022 6-0 vols.. so far..

So.. was the Vol's hire of Heupel a sure thing? Is it a sure thing going forward? Or is this just pure chance of everything coming together.. or a fantastic amount of legal-or-otherwise cheating to buy a team?

Seeing UCF go from 12-1 to 6-4 under Heupel.. I can't believe anyone here would say.. damn, we got to hire that guy.
There's always some level of crapshoot with almost all coaching hires and a little luck is needed. Danny White UCF/Tenn AD actually didn't want to bring his UCF hire Heupel over because he didn't want to hurt UCF. Eventually, he decided he was the best person for it. Extremely few hires are a sure thing. I don't think anyone thought much of the hire, just a ho hum hire.

Frost was only at UCF two years so it's not like he built something for sure sustainable and maybe he was living off Milton when you look at his Nebraska tenure. Frost never showed it again at Nebraska and AM is doing better at KSU so far than he ever did at Nebraska. I think Heupel was as successful if not better, again considering Frost's Nebraska tenure. 12-1 is pretty good and Milton went down for good with an injury (never played for UCF after that) in the last game of the season and they just lost by 8 in the NYD bowl game to LSU.

Next year, discovers a true freshman Dillon Gabriel and they win 10 games with him. That's pretty good IMO and the 3 losses were by 3 points or less.

2020 is the the pandemic year so don't how well they handled that unprecedented situation, some coaches did better than others.

His Mizzou offenses as OC were top 10-15 as well.

What's good about him so far is he's demonstrated offensive productivity with multiple qbs, Milton, Gabriel and now Hooker. Don't know who his Mizzou qb was. Gabriel and Hooker were actually 2nd choices but in the end they found their way into the starting role either by choice or injury and Heupel developed them and made them blossom in his system.

Biggest thing he's done for Tenn is give them identity. I think he's a little too risky at times but for better or worse they are aggressive and the foot is on the gas. That's how they got into FG range with 15 secs on the clock against Alabama. They did the same snagging some points before half at LSU too.

I think they can win at least 10 games this year. It would be a little disappointing if they didn't given their start and the ability they've demonstrated. Tenn-Martin, Vandy, South Carolina, Mizzou should be wins. UK a little bit of a toss up but in favor of Tenn, especially in Neyland. I think UGA on the road will be hard.

If he does that, it's a good year. First test they passed is performing and being resilient in a big stage game. 2nd test is keeping it up over the season with a bullseye and spotlight on your back. 3rd test is doing it over some years. So we'll see how the next 2 tests go.

Last edited:
I just watched a recording of the game.
I wanted to see how one WR got 5 TDs in 6 catches
Bama had its safeties playing up tight
TN would stack a couple WRs on the outside forcing decisions by CB
Jalin Hyatt would break inside on the seam where he had outrun the corner and there would be no safety
The corners looked slow but the defense was also inviting big gains.

"Nick Saban diagnosed the 52-49 defeat as a “collective loss,” citing execution, penalties a lack of energy. Yet, to a casual observer and box score analyst, one Alabama defensive issue that first sprung to light against Texas in Week 2 resurfaced over a month later in Knoxville: pass coverage...The Volunteers, specifically Jalin Hyatt, faced little resistance from the Tide secondary. Quarterback Hendon Hooker did throw his first interception of the year, but he also orchestrated the best offensive performance against an Alabama defense in 115 years (Sewanee mustered 54 points in 1907). Hyatt also set a Tennessee record with five touchdowns and 207 yards.

The issues were created by schematic inefficiencies and individual letdowns."

Full game minus the fluff

Reactions: ashokan
Ha ha but Not so. Very high pay for the results he delivers. He’s made 10 million so far of the 32. Wagner, Temple, etc don’t count. How much money is that for each conference win ? he’s stealing salary.

We would do just as well paying half that.

That's not how pay works, dumb-dumb.

Tennessee wasn't a hard sell? Did you forget their coaching search in 2017? Ask Gruden, Doeren, Brohm, Gundy, Kiffin, etc what a great opportunity HC of the Volunteers was

Reactions: brgRC90
Tennessee wasn't a hard sell? Did you forget their coaching search in 2017? Ask Gruden, Doeren, Brohm, Gundy, Kiffin, etc what a great opportunity HC of the Volunteers was

You seriously comparing Tenn to Rutgers?

Reactions: Kbee3
The crazy part is that Schiano worked for those great Miami teams that were amazing on both sides of the ball. We really need a high powered offense on the field that can put up points even if the talent doesn't exist(playcalling helps here). Then our defense becomes even stronger as a result
We will get there. In Schiano we trust!

You seriously comparing Tenn to Rutgers?
So true.
Tennessee can boast of having in their Hall-of-Fame both Peyton Manning and Reggie White.
And that's just for starters.
The mountain RU has been trying to climb for so many years is a very steep one.

So true.
Tennessee can boast of having in their Hall-of-Fame both Peyton Manning and Reggie White.
And that's just for starters.
The mountain RU has been trying to climb for so many years is a very steep one.
Yet as far back as 2000 we got the DC from a NC Miami team. A few years ago we got the DC from Ohio State. But yeah nobody wants to coach for us.

Yet as far back as 2000 we got the DC from a NC Miami team. A few years ago we got the DC from Ohio State. But yeah nobody wants to coach for us.

And you've done nothing but complain about both.

So yeah ... terrible example.

And you've done nothing but complain about both.

So yeah ... terrible example.
You avoided the point with a person al attack. Weak. And unlike our "real fans" who are always insulting our program by saying "nobody wants to coach here" I don't think that's true. We have Schiano fans who are not Rutgers fans. They badmouth everything about Rutgers. I never badmouth the school, the athletic department, the facilities, the campus or the players. Unlike our "real fans." In reality they just wank to Schiano but couldn't care less about the school. Its pathetic. Now run along.

Last edited:
You avoided the point with a person al attack. Weak. And unlike our "real fans" who are always insulting our program by saying "nobody wants to coach here" I don't think that's true. We have Schiano fans who are not Rutgers fans. They badmouth everything about Rutgers. I never badmouth the school, the athletic department, the facilities, the campus or the players. Unlike our "real fans." In reality they just wank to Schiano but couldn't care less about the school. Its pathetic. Now run along.

Personal attack? Where exactly?

Notice: offense is what defeated Alabama.
When Alabama loses, it's usually because the opposing offense is able to score points in bunches through the air. That Ole Miss game will be interesting. They do a lot of the same stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT