ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question

ScarletteK80

Heisman Winner
Mar 4, 2003
Can Eatman be canned mid season? I only saw the 2nd half, wow. Put Nadine in charge for remainder of year,

Reactions: RUBOB72
Can Eatman be canned mid season? I only saw the 2nd half, wow. Put Nadine in charge for remainder of year,
I don't see why not, permant HCs have and Vivian don't have a say in the matter , since her leave of absence is supposed to forbid her to have anything to do with the program while she's on it.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
He isnt the problem but he's been made out to be the scapegoat
he's the problem with his coaching.
Rutgers was a winning program before he took over.
Might not have been a top program, but 78-36 in last 4 years.(.684)
2 trips to Tourney in those 4 years and 1 year it was canceled so could have been the last 3 years made the Dance.
The other year no dance RU was 20-12

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Is this guy trying to be included in the Rutgers Horrors Hall of Fame?
Current members include Fred Gruninger, Eddie Jordan, Kyle Flood, Chris Ash, Craig Littlepage, Terry Shea, and Fred Hill, Jr.

he's the problem with his coaching.
Rutgers was a winning program before he took over.
Might not have been a top program, but 78-36 in last 4 years.(.684)
2 trips to Tourney in those 4 years and 1 year it was canceled so could have been the last 3 years made the Dance.
The other year no dance RU was 20-12

This isnt on him and you know it

Reactions: dconifer
All I know is that is not very entertaining watching these games so I, as a long time season ticket holder will give my season tickets away for the rest of the year. Sadly.

Three end of game horrid possessions.
Don't even get a shot off when down two...shot clock violation today.

Tied with Perdue with the ball...shot clock off...should get last shot to win or go to overtime...turn it over and lose.

Eatman should be relieved of his duties and the coaching search started ASAP.

Hobbs is part of the problem but there is someone else
lol, seems like you want to make a case, but can't.
Don't hide behind innuendos, step up and say who you mean and have the courage to explain why you feel the way you do.

until CVS is removed, this whole stain on the program cannot be fixed

It was obvious from day 1 that Eatmann never should have been head coach, thats not his fault, its Hobbs and CVS. He was put into a ridiculous situation created by CVS and compounded by Hobbs. The rest of the RU assistant staff is below average and has been for almost a decade now. Do not look for help there. The idea of virtually entire team of transfers is not the way to run a program.

There is no vision and little direction for the program currently and the recruiting strategy is a joke at this current time if there is any recruiting going on

Until this situation resolves, who cares who is the coach, we do not have the talent here, we dont have team unity or any kind of vision. Losing to Wisconsin is hardly surprising at all. This is a program in an abyss. You dont just remove the scab. Unfortunately its going to cost $5 million which will then basically make the program be run on the cheap for several years later. Get used to RU being a Wisconsin/Illinois of the Big 10 until a full cycle with a new coach or a 2nd coach goes through

I am not a lawyer but here is my question. Can CVS contract be voided if she and her advisors knew she had early onset of dementia or Alzheimer's?I hope she does not have these terrible diseases. If this was not divulged at the time of the contract signing, wouldn't this make the contract null and void. How can you put her in an administrative position if she can't fulfill her duties?

It was obvious from day 1 that Eatmann never should have been head coach, thats not his fault, its Hobbs and CVS. He was put into a ridiculous situation created by CVS and compounded by Hobbs. The rest of the RU assistant staff is below average and has been for almost a decade now. Do not look for help there. The idea of virtually entire team of transfers is not the way to run a program.

There is no vision and little direction for the program currently and the recruiting strategy is a joke at this current time if there is any recruiting going on

Until this situation resolves, who cares who is the coach, we do not have the talent here, we dont have team unity or any kind of vision. Losing to Wisconsin is hardly surprising at all. This is a program in an abyss. You dont just remove the scab. Unfortunately its going to cost $5 million which will then basically make the program be run on the cheap for several years later. Get used to RU being a Wisconsin/Illinois of the Big 10 until a full cycle with a new coach or a 2nd coach goes through
The problem still 100% is on CVS she had Hobbs backed into a corner; Lets look at it the optics of firing a hall of fame coach et al just would not look good and she made it a point to not resign or retire gracefully; he has flat out wanted her out for a while now; at this point I am sure he has his short list ready to go once the season is over and he will act swiftly at this time

Reactions: RUNVA

a well thought out anti Stringer post that I won't try to knock and can somewhat agree with

This mess is on CVS because of her taking a LOA that keeps her from any contact with the program
Eatman needs guidance and with no one to show him the way, program is a mess.
If Vivian moved to administration , she might have been able to help, even by zoom mettings with Tim and the staff .
Whether she could help that way or not is immaterial, it wasn't tried and that's on her .

I believe Nadine i a quality assistant, but not sure about Michelle or Geoff being much help,
so can't say you're wrong about them not being ready for prime time .

I also believe it's the coaching , not the players, that are making this season a bust and hurting RU WBB's image when future recruits think about the program they want to go to.
I can't prove it's just the coaching, so I'll not claim your transfer statement is without merit.

The one thing this season has done is : I'm now in agreement with you about Stringer needs to be replaced.
I have said earlier this season, if this season is a bad one LOA or no LOA I'm holding CVS responsible and will want her out.
No matter what the reason for the Leave of Absence, it looks like that could have been avoided by just moving to administration and working from home , remotely helping the WBB HC and staff attend to problems that show up during the game.
tend to problems that com
Vivian could have talked to them after the game in a zoom meeting helping Tim overcome some of the poor play that needed to be fixed, and/or the coaching that caused that poor play
But that couldn't happen because of the LOA and this season is shot and future recruiting might be in toilet as well .
Won't claim that would made a difference, but not going that route made me angry and feel Stringer wasn't looking out for the program like she should have..

Any major issues not know by the public that were the real cause of not coaching, is not a good excuse on how the LOA played out , because moving to administration and supposably working from home would have done the same as a LOA ,except Vivian could have tried to help Tim , even if it was by phone.

Last edited:
This begins and stops with CV Stringer and with a big helping from Hobbs. Eatman is not the total blame but he does have to be somewhat responsible.

Reactions: RUNVA
How can you hire a good coach when you have to pay Vivian? Even with a full share of the money.

Is CVS the only head coach in the country who has decided not to coach this year due to a virus?

Rutgers is a public taxpayer supported college; therefore, employment contracts should be made available to the public. Instead of all the speculation about the options with CVS we should be able to see those options. If the contract did not provide language protecting RU in the event of a long term disability, then shame on Hobbs and the legal team. It would also be unusual for a company to have a $5 million + liability and not having some type of insurance protection. Typical contract language would say “ if person A is unable to perform their full time duties, RU would pay them their full time salary less any disability payments for 6 months and then 50% of their salary for an additional 18 months “. After which the person would be eligible for Social Security disability. Being on the hook for 5 years of full pay for anyone not working is a major delinquency. At CVS’ age there must also be retirement benefits immediately available to her. Time to move forward. It is what it is.

During the national championship game run, I really thought RU was headed to ultra elite status. I’m talking tennessee and UConn territory. What a spectacular fall when you consider that entire trajectory from then until now. 😭

All this really does begin and end with CVS not the clearly over his head guy left to pick up the pieces.

Gotta wonder what would constitute a breach of the contract ? If there is a personal serious health affliction with CVS then you better act upon it soon. It would appear the deafening silence on this subject is a reason to doubt she will be returning for next season as well. Why would Hobb’s agree to this extension in the first place? He’s a lawyer correct?

Is this guy trying to be included in the Rutgers Horrors Hall of Fame?
Current members include Fred Gruninger, Eddie Jordan, Kyle Flood, Chris Ash, Craig Littlepage, Terry Shea, and Fred Hill, Jr.
There were a few more on the men's basketball and football sideline that should be included.

Hope you aren’t talking about Doug Graber. I actually liked him. Rutgers would not spend any money on academic support so we kept losing kids.
No not Doug, but there were quite a number of football coordinators that were head scratchers over the years. I'd add Rice and Bannon to the Basketball Head Coach list along with a bevy of basketball assistants to the list.

Hope you aren’t talking about Doug Graber. I actually liked him. Rutgers would not spend any money on academic support so we kept losing kids.
On your list, while Flood belongs - I always thought he had the makings of a decent coach until he put himself into trouble violating rules. And Fred G. was a different era, he actually was a pretty good AD for his time. Did he stay too long? Don't know enough to determine.

Reactions: ChasRC69
On your list, while Flood belongs - I always thought he had the makings of a decent coach until he put himself into trouble violating rules. And Fred G. was a different era, he actually was a pretty good AD for his time. Did he stay too long? Don't know enough to determine.
You may be the first person that I have heard that said Fred Gruninger was a good AD. Nice person maybe but good AD never. And yes I know him and many people that were in the department under his tenure.

You may be the first person that I have heard that said Fred Gruninger was a good AD. Nice person maybe but good AD never. And yes I know him and many people that were in the department under his tenure.
I didn't know him, we came to Rutgers near the end of his tenure (I did meet him and hear him speak to Cager's Club). But over the course of trying to learn about college sports, which we now follow so passionately, I discovered that there was an "era" where the ex golf coaches and the equivalent became the AD's. With I suppose somewhat low expectations. From what I read, in his early years, he was largely better than his peers, accomplished facilities work, hired good coaches and eventually got Rutgers on track from A10 to Big East. That said, by 1995 when we came aboard, I admit he was an anachronism in the changing of college sports, and should have been gone for a number of years.

So I suppose the question is do you judge him because he stayed too long? That set Rutgers back, as well as poor hires late in his career. Or, looking at him in his heyday - I think that stands up fairly well to his peers in like universities. Strictly based on what I remember reading, I was at Rutgers in the '70's, but didn't follow Rutgers sports until, well, 1995.

I might be the second person, at least during his early years.. In Fred Gruninger's first 5 years as AD, RU football was a combined 41-13-1, and RU men's basketball was a combined 113-34. Both teams recorded an undefeated regular season during that span... Sure, we weren't in a major conference, but that was a good time to be a Rutgers sports fan and I have a lot of fond memories from then, so I'd think that the AD deserves at least a little bit of the credit, at least during that time period.

I might be the second person, at least during his early years.. In Fred Gruninger's first 5 years as AD, RU football was a combined 41-13-1, and RU men's basketball was a combined 113-34. Both teams recorded an undefeated regular season during that span... Sure, we weren't in a major conference, but that was a good time to be a Rutgers sports fan and I have a lot of fond memories from then, so I'd think that the AD deserves at least a little bit of the credit, at least during that time period.
I get the fondness but not sure he should get much credit for that success.. My recollection is that he had little to do with the hiring of those coaches. From what I was told Burns was hired before Gruninger was officially the AD. If he is going to get credit for his first 4 years as an AD he needs to wear the next 21. Because he set RU back by decades by turning down the Big East, questionable basketball and football hires, and sticking with underachieving coaches in most if not all of the non revenue sports for way too long. Also outside of the RAC the rest of the facilities were severely substandard compared to peers.

Reactions: Rutgers56
I get the fondness but not sure he should get much credit for that success.. My recollection is that he had little to do with the hiring of those coaches. From what I was told Burns was hired before Gruninger was officially the AD. If he is going to get credit for his first 4 years as an AD he needs to wear the next 21. Because he set RU back by decades by turning down the Big East, questionable basketball and football hires, and sticking with underachieving coaches in most if not all of the non revenue sports for way too long. Also outside of the RAC the rest of the facilities were severely substandard compared to peers.
Not necessarily disagreeing. As I said, I was only referring to his first 5 years as AD, based on the impressive success of RU athletics at the time. Admittedly I don't know all of the details surrounding his performance as AD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT