ADVERTISEMENT

Seton Hall Game

Upstream, here is a list of great, and not so great moments that define a rivalry. Feel free to make up a similar list using any other school.

- FHJ/Gonzo handshake
- Gonzo's Blue suit.
- JR Inman's prayer at the buzzer
- Rob Hodgson dribbles the ball and our NCAA hopes off his knee.
- Mike Sherrod and Marcus Toney El falling into section 118
- Kent's TO in overtime
- Gary Water's promise to hold serve after around a 40 point loss
- Two BET wins over Seton Hall
- Herb Pope's antics almost killing Dane Miller on a break a way with one second left
- MTE telling Herve he has female traits
- The RU student body chanting that Darius Lane is a female private part.
- Andre Barrett hitting a three from the BLOCK R to give RU a 2 point loss (went 16-2 at home that year)
- Quincy Douby hitting the winning FT after clearly getting fouled (only kidding SHU fans)
- Hamady N'diane and Jeff Robinson fighting on ESPN
- RU fans storm the court in 2017, after knocking off a ranked SHU.

I am sure I am missing many others, but you get the point. Try to do this with another school and see what you get. Like it or not SHU and RU are rivals. It is up to us, to raise our program to the level that SHU is at now. If we can do that, this rivalry will explode even more.

So we weren't even in the Big East when you left New Jersey. You're certainly allowed your opinion but I think you're a couple decades behind the curve on this one. Have you attended a single RU-Hall game since then?

I left in 93 so yes we were in the Big East for football anyway. And up until that time we had been playing SHU fairly regularly. I have been back for many football games but not for a bball game against SHU. There is this thing called tv which beats a 400 mile drive for a 2 hour bball game.
I'm just stating the way SHU is perceived in Virginia and no doubt the rest of the country west and south of the Northeast. SHU is not important to RU for anything other than NJ bragging rights. What's important to RU is its standing in the Big Ten.

Last edited:
Do you think the Rutgers - SH series has anywhere near the same juice as Kentucky - Louisville?

Who cares how outside people view the RU/SHU rivalry? It's still a rivalry even if, on a national scale, it doesn't have the same juice as KY/UL (or UNC/Duke, etc.).

By your measure, the Iowa/Wisconsin football rivalry isn't really a rivalry since nobody outside of those two states cares about the "Heartland Trophy" (which they have played for since 1916).

Bad take here.

I left in 93 so yes we were in the Big East for football anyway. And up until that time we had been playing SHU fairly regularly. I have been back for many football games but not for a bball game against SHU. There is this thing called tv which beats a 400 mile drive for a 2 hour bball game.
I'm just stating the way SHU is perceived in Virginia and no doubt the rest of the country west and south of the Northeast. SHU is not important to RU for anything other than NJ bragging rights. What's important to RU is its standing in the Big Ten.

Thanks for the view from Lake Woebegone (and speaking for the rest of the country). And what is RU's current standing in the Big Ten? I see a SHU team with a top 15 ranking and 3-4 nationally televised games this season, how's that for cache?

Reactions: Pirate64
Maybe we're just defining "rivalry" differently. I'd be surprised if SH considers St Johns a big rivalry. Geographic proximate, yes, but rivalry, no. Do either school have the dates of their games circled on their calendar? Can the outcome of the game make or break a season? Would you trade 2 wins over Georgetown and Marquette for 1 win over St Johns?

If that's your definition of a big rivalry, that explains why you think Rutgers-SH is a big rivalry.

I’m pretty sure Kyk has the SHI game circled on his calendar. Btw, Eddie Jordan had a 5k bonus in his contract for beating SHU, so apparently the RU power brokers disagree with you

I’m pretty sure Kyk has the SHI game circled on his calendar. Btw, Eddie Jordan had a 5k bonus in his contract for beating SHU, so apparently the RU power brokers disagree with you
I think Pike and Willard have the same bonus. And there is a trophy presentation at the end of the game. There is certainly a desire to make this a big rivalry. And while it may be more of a rivalry than the manufactured Civil CONN-FLict rivalry, I just don't see it being a big rivalry now. Maybe it is moving in that direction, and maybe one day it will be. But today, it is just a OOC game against a local high-major school.

I think you're not an RU or SHU fan if you don't have that game circled every year. It's unfathomable that an RU or SHU fan can deny we are by far and away each others biggest rival. I know SHU tries to pretend they have a rivalry with Nova but it's really not much of a rivalry as SHU has only been competitive a handful of times @nova and I think Nova has won something like 10 of the past 12 matchups and this is the years that SHU has been considered "good".

Reactions: donnie_baseball
I think Pike and Willard have the same bonus. And there is a trophy presentation at the end of the game. There is certainly a desire to make this a big rivalry. And while it may be more of a rivalry than the manufactured Civil CONN-FLict rivalry, I just don't see it being a big rivalry now. Maybe it is moving in that direction, and maybe one day it will be. But today, it is just a OOC game against a local high-major school.
this is a really dumb take and you keep repeating it. You clearly don't pay attention to the local landscape. This game means a lot for numerous reasons. In state supremacy, recruiting, narrative, long time rival. Name me a more important or hyped up out of conference game we have played since joining the big ten. Shit forget about out of conference, tell me the last time we played a game that was more highly anticipated than the annual SHU game

Reactions: Degaz-RU
this is a really dumb take and you keep repeating it. You clearly don't pay attention to the local landscape. This game means a lot for numerous reasons. In state supremacy, recruiting, narrative, long time rival. Name me a more important or hyped up out of conference game we have played since joining the big ten. Shit forget about out of conference, tell me the last time we played a game that was more highly anticipated than the annual SHU game

Just because it it the closest thing to a real rivalry that Rutgers has in basketball, doesn't make it a rivalry.

We had 3 sold-out games last season. The Seton Hall game has only sold out once in the last decade plus, when SH was ranked 15. If it were a big rivalry, even with Rutgers in the doldrums, you would think the RAC would fill up every year with Seton Hall fans willing to make the 30 mile trip to Piscataway.

Just because it it the closest thing to a real rivalry that Rutgers has in basketball, doesn't make it a rivalry.

We had 3 sold-out games last season. The Seton Hall game has only sold out once in the last decade plus, when SH was ranked 15. If it were a big rivalry, even with Rutgers in the doldrums, you would think the RAC would fill up every year with Seton Hall fans willing to make the 30 mile trip to Piscataway.
Tough to sell out a game you're probably going to lose. Maybe Monmouth/RU would have more juice.

Tough to sell out a game you're probably going to lose. Maybe Monmouth/RU would have more juice.
If Rutgers is probably going to lose, then SH is probably going to win. You can't get a couple thousand fans to make the 30 mile trip to Piscataway for a big rivalry game you are probably going to win (assuming it is a big rivalry game).

Great rivalry but . . . Would anyone trade a conference win for a win over shu?

How many sellouts did RU have in the years the SHU game didnt sell out? Just quit. Youre embarrassing youself now. Denying that seton hall is a rival is like denying that you need oxygen to live

Willard does not have a bonus for beating RU. I would be shocked if Pike has that incentive and would be even more surprised if Hobbs approved such a provision.

Willard does not have a bonus for beating RU. I would be shocked if Pike has that incentive and would be even more surprised if Hobbs approved such a provision.

Pikiell's annual performance bonus incentives: All performance bonuses are cumulative, except where noted:

Twenty (20) regular season wins: $10,000 (excluding exhibition games).
Regular season Big Ten conference champion: $50,000 (outright); $25,000 (shared).
NIT invitation and appearance: $10,000.
NIT champion: $20,000.
Big Ten tournament champion: $50,000.
Big Ten coach of the year (solo or shared): $20,000.
NCAA Tournament: $25,000 per appearance in a game.
Final Four appearance: $100,000.
Naismith college national coach of the year (solo or shared): $50,000.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketbal..._contract_details_for_rutgers_coach_st_1.html

How many sellouts did RU have in the years the SHU game didnt sell out?

Rutgers played SH at the RAC OOC 2 years ago, and 4 and 6 years ago, and in the Big East 7 years ago.

2 years ago, SH was ranked and the game sold out. It was one of 2 games (along with Purdue) that sold out. Illinois was just shy of a sell out.

4 years ago, SH at the RAC drew 1000 fewer fans than Monmouth at the RAC. Is Monmouth a big rivalry now?

6 years ago, SH at the RAC drew fewer fans than Louisville, UConn, Houston, Memphis, USF, or Cincinnati.

7 years ago, SH and Rutgers played home-home in the Big East. The SH game at the RAC drew fewer fans than games like Georgetown, Louisville, and Howard. That's right, Howard drew more fans than our big rival.

If this is a big rivalry, with a lot of juice, that fans care about, then you expect the Seton Hall fans would make the easy 30 mile trip to see their big rivalry game.

Maybe this series is on its way to becoming a big rivalry. Maybe there is a desire for it to be a big rivalry. But based on the recent 7 year history, it is not a big rivalry.

Rutgers played SH at the RAC OOC 2 years ago, and 4 and 6 years ago, and in the Big East 7 years ago.

2 years ago, SH was ranked and the game sold out. It was one of 2 games (along with Purdue) that sold out. Illinois was just shy of a sell out.

4 years ago, SH at the RAC drew 1000 fewer fans than Monmouth at the RAC. Is Monmouth a big rivalry now?

6 years ago, SH at the RAC drew fewer fans than Louisville, UConn, Houston, Memphis, USF, or Cincinnati.

7 years ago, SH and Rutgers played home-home in the Big East. The SH game at the RAC drew fewer fans than games like Georgetown, Louisville, and Howard. That's right, Howard drew more fans than our big rival.

If this is a big rivalry, with a lot of juice, that fans care about, then you expect the Seton Hall fans would make the easy 30 mile trip to see their big rivalry game.

Maybe this series is on its way to becoming a big rivalry. Maybe there is a desire for it to be a big rivalry. But based on the recent 7 year history, it is not a big rivalry.
Haha keep diggin yourself a hole buddy

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Haha keep diggin yourself a hole buddy
So basically you've got nothing.

The attendance numbers that show this is not a big rivalry. Friggin Monmouth outdrew Seton Hall. If this is a big rivalry, the biggest game of the season, Seton Hall fans make the short trip to watch the game at least in the same numbers as Monmouth fans.

The attendance numbers that show this is not a big rivalry. Friggin Monmouth outdrew Seton Hall. If this is a big rivalry, the biggest game of the season, Seton Hall fans make the short trip to watch the game at least in the same numbers as Monmouth fans.
Youre an absolute and total ****ing clown to argue here allllll day that SHU isnt an enormous rival of ours. In fact your argument is that theyre not even a rival. Go paint your face

I’ve been out of Jersey since ‘93, too, and in Texas of all places but to say SHU isn’t a rival? You bet your A$$ they are! It’s great to beat B1G teams but NOTHING feels better than beating SHU and nothing feels worse than losing to them...

When we were still playing Princeton in hoops it was the same thing...including when I was talking smack at a Princeton bar in the ‘80’s and almost getting into a fight with some preppie pukes before the game at Jadwin...that was just pure fun...right until we lost the game.....and the refs sucked!

Willard does NOT have that bonus in his contract. We are a small private university and unfortunately do not have tax payers $$$$$ to piss away like big state university like ru has.

It's important to the players, bro. Very important. If you had been at the game at the RAC two years ago and saw what the crowd was like during the game and then stuck around for the celebration you'd have seen how much it meant to the fans as well as guys like Sanders, Williams, Freeman, etc.

Of course, how RU does in the B1G is ultimately what matters but this game is a big deal for the basketball program. Making statements like you're making only shows how out of the loop you are.

Last edited:
Willard does NOT have that bonus in his contract. We are a small private university and unfortunately do not have tax payers $$$$$ to piss away like big state university like ru has.

If you could read, a few posts above says that Pike does not get a bonus for beating SOCC.

And your statement is ignorant.

0-2. Take a lap.

Upstream. Just about every RU hoops fan would say SHU is a rival of ours. If you were at the game two years ago, you would have felt the excitement.

Upstream. Just about every RU hoops fan would say SHU is a rival of ours. If you were at the game two years ago, you would have felt the excitement.
I was there. It was exciting. It was a come from behind win over the number 15 team in the country.

What about the previous time Seton Hall came to the RAC. The building was 1/3 empty. Rutgers Monmouth drew 1000 more fans.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy beating SH. I'm not saying that sometimes the games are exciting. I'm not even saying it doesn't have the potential to be a big rivalry.

But it is not a big rivalry now. If it had the juice, meaning, and importance of a big rivalry, people would show up. All the time, not just when one team is ranked.

Let's just say it is a rivalry, but a small rivalry, not a big rivalry. It is a small rivalry that is important to those who attend the games. But it is not important enough to get 1500 students to cross the river or get a couple thousand Seton Hall fans to make the 30 mile trip.

Last edited:
Upstream, I usually respect your comments but you are totally off base this time. You are pounding on the years when Eddie was coach and our team was horrible. Most years the games have been close but under Eddie SHU clocked us big time. I have attended RU games for 49 years and SHU is the team I want to beat more than any other during those years. I cannot imagine anyone saying they are not our biggest rivalry. This game could be a classic. SHU is very good but they were excellent 2 years ago as well and we won the game. Powell lost his cool in the last 2 seconds and leveled Eugene. Pope did the same thing to Dane Miller and Eli Carter got head butted. Tony El leveled one of our guys into the stands as well. These things are not forgotten in a rivalry. Luckily RU has usually kept their cool in these instances. Jerry Carino writes a wonderful article every year the week of the game showing how close most of the games have been and highlights over the years.

I don't agree with kyk much, but I attended RU in the early 2000's and SHU is very much a rivalry. We played them twice a year and once in a while a 3rd time in the Big East tourny. Nothing felt better than beating them in the tourny and knocking them out.

Anyone I know that graduated from SH despises any Rutgers sport.... that is a rivalry. I knew a girl that was on the dance team there in the mid 2000's and they had a saying (maybe they still do) when it comes to RU. They use to say they would "rather be dead, then Red". I actually may be wrong on that exact saying lol. I'm sure an SH poster can clarify that one for us.

I was at the Rock last season and there was a large amount of fans from both sides. This game will be a sellout. RU was down for many years and that is why the game fell off for a while, but it's back now and not going anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
I was there. It was exciting. It was a come from behind win over the number 15 team in the country.

What about the previous time Seton Hall came to the RAC. The building was 1/3 empty. Rutgers Monmouth drew 1000 more fans.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy beating SH. I'm not saying that sometimes the games are exciting. I'm not even saying it doesn't have the potential to be a big rivalry.

But it is not a big rivalry now. If it had the juice, meaning, and importance of a big rivalry, people would show up. All the time, not just when one team is ranked.

Let's just say it is a rivalry, but a small rivalry, not a big rivalry. It is a small rivalry that is important to those who attend the games. But it is not important enough to get 1500 students to cross the river or get a couple thousand Seton Hall fans to make the 30 mile trip.

The last two RU @ SHU games sold out, 10k+ and many RU fans attended. Over a few thousand each game. RU hoops fans don't travel like that vs any other team.

Lots of SHU fans were in the RAC in 2017, mostly in the 300s but the rivalry is becoming fiercer

The last two RU @ SHU games sold out, 10k+ and many RU fans attended. Over a few thousand each game. RU hoops fans don't travel like that vs any other team.

Lots of SHU fans were in the RAC in 2017, mostly in the 300s but the rivalry is becoming fiercer
will be very few SHU fans at this years game IMO. The tickets are pretty much almost all gobbled up by RU season ticket holders

I cannot imagine anyone saying they are not our biggest rivalry.

That is not what I am saying. They may be our biggest rival, and the closest thing we have to a "Big Rivalry". But the Rutgers - Seton Hall series is not a Big Rivalry, at best it is a Minor Rivalry.

This series is pretty much only important to the fans who show up to the games .... which for the most part, is only a segment of the fanbases.

In order for it to be a big rivalry, it has to be important enough for all fans to care. Not just the fans who attend the games, or just the diehard fans, but all the fans. Fans who only attend one game per season have to circle this game on their calendars and want to attend this game as their only game. It has to matter enough to them.

And the game has to be a big game all the time, not just when both teams are decent, or when one team is ranked. The excuse that Rutgers was bad is a flimsy excuse, because if this were a big rivalry thousands of SH fans would make the trip to the RAC to watch their team pummel their rival. But two games ago at the RAC, this series was so unimportant that Rutgers-Monmouth drew 1000 more fans. That doesn't happen if this is a Big Rivalry.

Obviously I have a different take on what makes a rivalry than some others on this board.

You and I have followed our program a long time

From my viewpoint I would rather win the SHU game than any other game. Second place this year might be the Michigan game in the garden, only because of the staging

SHU is our biggest rival, at least from the RU perspective

That is not what I am saying. They may be our biggest rival, and the closest thing we have to a "Big Rivalry". But the Rutgers - Seton Hall series is not a Big Rivalry, at best it is a Minor Rivalry.

This series is pretty much only important to the fans who show up to the games .... which for the most part, is only a segment of the fanbases.

In order for it to be a big rivalry, it has to be important enough for all fans to care. Not just the fans who attend the games, or just the diehard fans, but all the fans. Fans who only attend one game per season have to circle this game on their calendars and want to attend this game as their only game. It has to matter enough to them.

And the game has to be a big game all the time, not just when both teams are decent, or when one team is ranked. The excuse that Rutgers was bad is a flimsy excuse, because if this were a big rivalry thousands of SH fans would make the trip to the RAC to watch their team pummel their rival. But two games ago at the RAC, this series was so unimportant that Rutgers-Monmouth drew 1000 more fans. That doesn't happen if this is a Big Rivalry.
you're really just digging deeper. This is sad to watch. Do you seriously think there's another game outside of SHU that casual RU fans care about? Do you really think the game didn't have a big time feel the past 3 years under pike? Is Cincy and Xaiver now not a rivalry because it's a "little rivalry" that only fans of the teams care about. Haha you're brutal dude.

Congrats you've managed to be the one, literally the one thing that can unite SHU and RU fans. You have next to zero clue what you're talking about. Why is the SHU game the only game RU is not opening to the public when tix to the public go on sale? Hmmmm maybe because it's a big game and a huge rivalry

Last year RU@SH had an attendance of 10481, same as St Johns. Villanova had 16114. According to Wikipedia, the capacity of the Prudential Center for basketball is 18,711. I'm guessing that the upper level was closed off for the Rutgers and St Johns games, so the lower level was sold out.

It may be true that the rivalry is getting fiercer. When it is fierce enough that SH has to open the upper level (like they did for Villanova), then we can talk about whether there is enough interest to classify this as a big rivalry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT