ADVERTISEMENT

Seton Hall Game

will be very few SHU fans at this years game IMO. The tickets are pretty much almost all gobbled up by RU season ticket holders
Last year RU@SH had an attendance of 10481, same as St Johns. Villanova had 16114. According to Wikipedia, the capacity of the Prudential Center for basketball is 18,711. I'm guessing that the upper level was closed off for the Rutgers and St Johns games, so the lower level was sold out.

It may be true that the rivalry is getting fiercer. When it is fierce enough that SH has to open the upper level (like they did for Villanova), then we can talk about whether there is enough interest to classify this as a big rivalry.

Are you really so clueless @Upstream
Or trolling?

Nova hoops brings thousands of more fans than RU.

They are like ummm, a recent champion .

You are wrong, just let it go

@kyk1827 if Rutgers fans also buy 300 level seats before public sale yes.

But RU fans may buy extras to cash in on stub hub.

SHU fans also may be buying 4-packs just to get this game too, but yeah, RU is trying to lessen those odds.

I do know when I went to SHU for women’s game and going in the SHU cheerleaders were handing out towels as we entered that said Rule #1 beat Rutgers

Are you really so clueless @Upstream
Or trolling?

Nova hoops brings thousands of more fans than RU.

They are like ummm, a recent champion .

You are wrong, just let it go

@kyk1827 if Rutgers fans also buy 300 level seats before public sale yes.

But RU fans may buy extras to cash in on stub hub.

SHU fans also may be buying 4-packs just to get this game too, but yeah, RU is trying to lessen those odds.
I personally have about 30 tix in the 300's for RU fans alone.

You and I have followed our program a long time

From my viewpoint I would rather win the SHU game than any other game. Second place this year might be the Michigan game in the garden, only because of the staging

SHU is our biggest rival, at least from the RU perspective

I don't dispute that it is an important game for die-hard fans. That is why I am conceding that it is a minor rivalry.

Last year RU@SH had an attendance of 10481, same as St Johns. Villanova had 16114. According to Wikipedia, the capacity of the Prudential Center for basketball is 18,711. I'm guessing that the upper level was closed off for the Rutgers and St Johns games, so the lower level was sold out.

It may be true that the rivalry is getting fiercer. When it is fierce enough that SH has to open the upper level (like they did for Villanova), then we can talk about whether there is enough interest to classify this as a big rivalry.

SMH enough with the attendance figures. That is meaningless on assessing whether Rutgers-Seton Hall is a rivalry.

Nova has won 2 championships and Rutgers basketball was recovering from being one of the worst programs of ALL TIME under Eddie Jordan.

Of course the attendance for the SHU-Nova game would have been much higher.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
SMH enough with the attendance figures. That is meaningless on assessing whether Rutgers-Seton Hall is a rivalry.

Nova has won 2 championships and Rutgers basketball was recovering from being one of the worst programs of ALL TIME under Eddie Jordan.

also, RU requested that SHU open the upper levels for last years game but they refused. They didnt want to be outnumbered in their rented arena. But yeah, not a rivalry

And what is the explanation for attendance at the Monmouth @ Rutgers game being so much higher than the Seton Hall @ Rutgers game 2 weeks earlier?

Reactions: RUDutch
also, RU requested that SHU open the upper levels for last years game but they refused. They didnt want to be outnumbered in their rented arena. But yeah, not a rivalry

Again, I'm with you, but RU would never outnumber SHU at the Rock. They rarely fill the RAC, they're going to come to Newark in that kind of numbers? They never came to Continental Arena and took the place over.

And what is the explanation for attendance at the Monmouth @ Rutgers game being so much higher than the Seton Hall @ Rutgers game 2 weeks earlier?

Like I said I couldn’t care less about attendance. If you think Rutgers-Seton Hall isn’t a rivalry you’re severely out of touch with things.

It seems like you’re now willing to admit it’s a “minor” rivalry so at least you’ve come around to acknowledging it’s a rivalry.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
Again, I'm with you, but RU would never outnumber SHU at the Rock. They rarely fill the RAC, they're going to come to Newark in that kind of numbers? They never came to Continental Arena and took the place over.

If Rutgers ever became a consistent top 25 team we could easily out number SHU fans at the Rock if they opened the whole thing up. We probably had about 20% of the attendance the past couple matchups and that’s when we were pegged to finish at the very bottom of the Conference.

Make half the rac available to us and we may open the top.

There ARE ten times more of you guys. Wonder why you think 9k ru fans would show up at the ROCK when your 7k gym is not sold out on a regular basis.

If Rutgers ever became a consistent top 25 team we could easily out number SHU fans at the Rock if they opened the whole thing up. We probably had about 20% of the attendance the past couple matchups and that’s when we were pegged to finish at the very bottom of the Conference.

Quite possible.
Define "behind the bench," Donald.

sec 114. Direct sight-line to BKin118

There ARE ten times more of you guys. Wonder why you think 9k ru fans would show up at the ROCK when your 7k gym is not sold out on a regular basis.

Not how it’s going to work...Seton Hall will open up the top once they realize how much more $ they can generate. I don’t see them closing the top for matchups against Nova.

8k***. Why would 9k RU fans show up at the pebble?

Well 1) it's a second home for us 2) it's a closer drive for a lot of our fans than the RAC 3) It's easy to get to mass transit.

Also half of our big ten home games were sold out last year fyi while going just 14-17. imagine we played in a weak conference like the big east and could pound those little schools and put up a fictitious 20-14 record and sneak in the tourney and get mauled every year?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the 20% number is light. I think closer to 35%

Reactions: S_Janowski
Let's just say it is a rivalry, but a small rivalry, not a big rivalry. It is a small rivalry that is important to those who attend the games. But it is not important enough to get 1500 students to cross the river or get a couple thousand Seton Hall fans to make the 30 mile trip.

This is a lot better. I would just add that there were a few years that R Hoops was really bad and I think that was a trough in what has been and can be a very intense rivalry. And I think those few years were an aberration, and that the rivalry is back to intense.

Sorry Upstream but these are some of the worst posts I've seen on the board. Not trying to be a a jerk but anyone who doesn't think RU vs SHU is not just a rivalry but our biggest rival by far is clueless and completely out of touch with the rest of the fan base. Read the article kyk posted. Don't care how long you've been a fan yada yada. It's not even worth debating over. There is a right answer and a wrong answer

our biggest rival

Saying they're our biggest rival is like saying you're the tallest midget. That doesn't make you a giant. Just because SH is Rutgers biggest basketball rival doesn't make the series a big rivalry. I've already conceded it is a minor rivalry, important to some diehard fans and those who attend the games.

Saying they're our biggest rival is like saying you're the tallest midget. That doesn't make you a giant. Just because SH is Rutgers biggest basketball rival doesn't make the series a big rivalry. I've already conceded it is a minor rivalry, important to some diehard fans and those who attend the games.
now you’re just nuancing it ...”minor” rivalry...right now it’s not even debatable...we are each other’s main rival...period.

I seriously don't think you understand what a rivalry is. It's the only logical explanation

Reactions: Degaz-RU
now you’re just nuancing it ...”minor” rivalry...right now it’s not even debatable...we are each other’s main rival...period.
The only thing that makes a rivalry a rivalry is the passion of the players and fans between the two teams.

Upstream seems to be making some weird point. I think he is now essentially saying if it's not Yankees vs Red Sox or Michigan vs OSU than it's not a real rivalry. It doesn't matter if casual fans of a sport even know two schools have a rivalry or not. If those two schools hate each other and it's the biggest game of the season than it's a big rivarly.

With any luck if Pike gets this program to semi consistent decent status, someone from the B1G will become our true rival...

shu can continue to be a minor one with some traction in the state but with little to no interest East of the Hudson and west of the Delaware (heck south jersey probably doesn’t give a crap about either school)

Reactions: Virginiarufan

yes the “my father has more money than yours” argument is always compelling. Says so much about your standing and accomplishments. Yes we play in a “rented arena”. Yes we have less resources and alums than you. Yes we don’t have a football team. Yes we’re in the minor conference known as the Big East. But somehow we are one of only 11 D1 teams to have made the dance each of the last four years. And somehow we out draw you even though we have a rented arena. And oddly the new BE has won 2 of the last 3 national championships even though the Big 10 hasn’t won since 2003. Yes, your father is richer than ours. How can we ever compete.

Last edited:
For a rivalry to exist it has to extend beyond one sport, and fans from each school have to want the other to lose at everything...a seething, bubbly disdain has to exist. Absolutely NOT the case between Rutgers and Shu. Heck by that definition we have no true rivals.

I can’t think of a single RU fan that loses any sleep over shu...of course they want to beat them.

Beating state penn in basketball is far more enjoyable (and frankly meaningful). Ideally Rutgers v State Penn would be our true rivalry but they don’t want it and feel it “beneath them” (pretentious PA trash that they are)

Reactions: Virginiarufan
For a rivalry to exist it has to extend beyond one sport

Ummm no not even close.

Since when are there all these rules about what constitutes a rivalry? It’s not that complicated or technical.

You’re just as far off on this one as Upstream.

Also I would prefer to beat Seton Hall over Penn State in basketball any year. PSU fans and alumni couldn’t give a crap about basketball and we compete with Seton Hall for more recruits.

Ummm no not even close.

Since when are there all these rules about what constitutes a rivalry? It’s not that complicated or technical.

Also I would prefer to beat Seton Hall over Penn State in basketball any year. PSU fans and alumni couldn’t give a crap about basketball and we compete with Seton Hall for more recruits.

It's true that the majority of Pen St people don't care about hoops.

I have a friend who attended Pen St for a year and a half but then transferred to Moravian. He's a huge Pen St football fan, but in college hoops he's a SHU fan.

He would root for SHU over Pen St.

Ummm no not even close.

I completely disagree...but that’s your opinion...just like the aforementioned mini diatribe was mine.

Reactions: S_Janowski
yes the “my father has more money than yours” argument is always compelling. Says so much about your standing and accomplishments. Yes we play in a “rented arena”. Yes we have less resources and alums than you. Yes we don’t have a football team. Yes we’re in the minor conference known as the Big East. But somehow we are one of only 11 D1 teams to have made the dance each of the last four years. And somehow we out draw you even though we have a rented arena. And oddly the new BE has won 2 of the last 3 national championships even though the Big 10 hasn’t won since 2003. Yes, your father is richer than ours. How can we ever compete.
Nova has won 2 of the last 4***. Congrats the rest of your conference gets whacked every tourney

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT