ADVERTISEMENT

Seton Hall Game

Their guess is as good as mine, but the photo doesn't look like 3000 red shirts. They certainly are (RU) making it tough for SHU fans to grab up tickets this year -- and good for them.
Agree on the photo, but it doesn't really show that end opposite the students where most of our fans were. And yeah, hopefully we don't see too many of you at the RAC this year.

I think this thread will age well and it will be spun a bunch of different ways.

RU wins....SHU fans will say "it's the only game that matters to RU, it's their Super Bowl"

RU wins....."SHU fans will say "we made the NCAA's again, we are ranked, we played Michigan State,Oregon etc....RU doesn't matter as much to us".

RU wins...."SHU fans, "when will RU make the NCAA's, they're not going to win the B1G anytime soon".

SHU wins...."SHU fans "We run the state, we own RU, etc"

SHU wins.....SHU fans, "RU made so much of this game and they still didn't win"

RU wins.......RU fans "RU is better than SHU, we would win the Big East, we beat the Pre-season #1 Big East team"

RU wins......RU fans "RU is on their way, the program has arrived, nothing can stop us now"

RU wins......RU fans...."They're not our rivals, we knew we were better and now we run NJ and the state and will beat them again next year"

There are many ways to spin this.....the bottom line is for RU, winning the SHU game is another step forward, but not what will define their season or the next step in the rebuild.

RU is going to be judged based on all 30 games, how the players develop from November to early March, not one game. There really is mostly downside for Seton Hall in this game....it's a game they've always been favored in and if I went back 10 years or so back to when FHJ and Rice was at coach, RU typically split the head to head matchups when SHU was always the better team.

I am taking a longer term approach and placing too much emphasis on one game, has no real positives. I don't believe winning or losing this game is that important for RU for this year....I do think winning the game next year at SHU, would be the game that really has more emphasis. RU has to have a bigger picture of making the NCAA's and will need a good road win or two on their resume and next year's game, offers that chance.

RU winning at the RAC needs to be step one, but winning the prior game vs Wisconsin is really more important or critical to the big picture. RU has to split with Wisconsin this year and needs a home conference win, much more than an OOC win vs a Big East team, that isn't going to be impacted by this game, in either direction..... if the bigger picture is in focus. If we can win both Wisconsin and SHU, that would be ideal.

But if I had to choose one and knowing how important your B1G conference record is or has to be,,in order to make the NIT or NCAA bubble, Wisconsin is the game that's more important that SHU for this season and where the program is. I don't foresee any scenario where losing to Wisconsin and beating SHU, improves the chance for the post season. RU has to win vs Wisconsin, prior to the SHU game.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Every game is important to achieve a winning season and hopefully a NIT bid.Defeating a ranked opponent like Seton Hall enhances the perception of Rutgers which is needed for post season selection purposes.

I sincerely doubt there has been 3000 RU fans at a SHU home game in 30 years. However, I'm no expert, I would defer to Carino, who is pretty good at eyeballing crowds.

I don't know about 2016, but in or around 2004-05 (during the Herve/Douby years), Rutgers brought about 6,000-7,000 to Continental Airlines Arena. We filled a large portion of the upper deck in the one game I remember at CAA.

Reactions: Scangg
For a rivalry to exist it has to extend beyond one sport, and fans from each school have to want the other to lose at everything...a seething, bubbly disdain has to exist. Absolutely NOT the case between Rutgers and Shu. Heck by that definition we have no true rivals.

I can’t think of a single RU fan that loses any sleep over shu...of course they want to beat them.

Beating state penn in basketball is far more enjoyable (and frankly meaningful). Ideally Rutgers v State Penn would be our true rivalry but they don’t want it and feel it “beneath them” (pretentious PA trash that they are)

The bottom line is that most RU fans want to beat SHU more than any other team on the schedule

From that end, it is a rivalry. Period. Doesn’t matter how we word it

A close second would be beating PSU, close but not quite

Reactions: HALL85
Nova has won 2 of the last 4***. Congrats the rest of your conference gets whacked every tourney
Always overrated. Made some easy money betting against the Big Least last year in the tournament.

Powell is going to need a monster game to beat Rutgers this year. SHU fans are in for a rude awakening. If I'm Pike, I use Mathis and Caleb to be up in his face alllll game long. Mathis has the muscle and Caleb has the length. Hope SHU is undefeated and ranked high when we play them so the win counts for more.

Always overrated. Made some easy money betting against the Big Least last year in the tournament.

Powell is going to need a monster game to beat Rutgers this year. SHU fans are in for a rude awakening. If I'm Pike, I use Mathis and Caleb to be up in his face alllll game long. Mathis has the muscle and Caleb has the length. Hope SHU is undefeated and ranked high when we play them so the win counts for more.
you're going to see a rotation of young, tez and caleb on him. They'll all be fresh too and going 1000mph and up in his jersey. Powell will never be as frustrated as he is that game.

I don't know about 2016, but in or around 2004-05 (during the Herve/Douby years), Rutgers brought about 6,000-7,000 to Continental Airlines Arena. We filled a large portion of the upper deck in the one game I remember at CAA.

I recall that game. Sadly many of you left early.

Always overrated ?

LOL

I was just thinking about this. What does SHU do when we go with Jacob/Geo- Caleb- Ron- Yeboah/Shaq- Myles? This would present an enormous marchup problem for them. With our position versatility we will be able to dictate this entire game. Caleb can guard 1-3 and small 4’s, ron can guard 2-4, jacob 1-2, yeboah 3-4. SHU doesnt have any lineup that can match that. Like what are they gonna keep mcknight and powell on the court? If so ron/caleb sitting at 6’6 and 6’7 will just posted up the little boys powell/mcknight. Were gonna wreck them

I was just thinking about this. What does SHU do when we go with Jacob/Geo- Caleb- Ron- Yeboah/Shaq- Myles? This would present an enormous marchup problem for them. With our position versatility we will be able to dictate this entire game. Caleb can guard 1-3 and small 4’s, ron can guard 2-4, jacob 1-2, yeboah 3-4. SHU doesnt have any lineup that can match that. Like what are they gonna keep mcknight and powell on the court? If so ron/caleb sitting at 6’6 and 6’7 will just posted up the little boys powell/mcknight. Were gonna wreck them

I assume they'll counter with Powell, McKnight, Cale, Rhoden or Mamu, and one of the 7 footers. With Powell on Young/Geo, McKnight on Caleb (McConnell isn't posting up anybody, let's be honest), Rhoden or Cale on Harper, Mamu or Rhoden on Yeboah, Obiagu/Gill on Myles.

What if we go smaller without Myles for a while? It might force SHU to take out their shot blocker which ever one might be in the game. We have many options. We could go Baker, Young, McConnell, Harper, Yeboah or Mathis in place of one of these guys. That would be a very small lineup which cause SHU to make a major adjustment.

What if we go smaller without Myles for a while? It might force SHU to take out their shot blocker which ever one might be in the game. We have many options. We could go Baker, Young, McConnell, Harper, Yeboah or Mathis in place of one of these guys. That would be a very small lineup which cause SHU to make a major adjustment.
Overall we are as nightmare a matchup as possible for shu

If nothing else this is a battle between big state school/big money Goliath and little Catholic College David.
Most of the time little David wins.
This really upsets the Goliath fans who go muttering in the night and prop themselves up with “ you just waits”.
Their jealousy, frustration and the deep hatred is evident in these posts.
Facts show the Seton Hall program is better than yours and the Big East is a perfect fit for us.
Unlike the Big 10 for you. Especially in football , your major sport. All those empty seats. I know, “ you just wait”.

Just a bit of an exaggeration, no?
Well us size wise are the worst matchup for you. Obviously MSU is better than us but we can throw more backcourt size at you than any team on your schedule and shu cant handle that. Team is a classic catholic league team, little guards

Well us size wise are the worst matchup for you. Obviously MSU is better than us but we can throw more backcourt size at you than any team on your schedule and shu cant handle that. Team is a classic catholic league team, little guards

I mean... not really, no. Powell is Young's size. McKnight is Baker's size. Rhoden and Cale are 6'6". Mamu is taller than anyone we have at the 4. Gill and Obiagu are 7 footers.

I think we have a decent chance to beat them but it's not because of our backcourt and wing size.

I don't see your point on size issues.

Darnell Brodie
F
6' 9" 265 Sophomore 1V Newark (Newark East Side HS)
Myles Cale
G-F
6' 6" 210 20 Junior 2V Middletown (Appoquinimink HS)
Romaro Gill
C
7' 2" 255 25 Senior 3V St. Thomas (Vincennes University)
Sandro Mamukelashvili
F
6' 11" 240 20 Junior 2V Tbilisi (Montverde Academy)
Quincy McKnight
G
6' 4" 185 23 Senior 3V Bridgeport (Sacred Heart)
Takal Molson
G
6' 5" 205 20 Junior 2V Buffalo (Canisius)
Anthony Nelson
G
6' 4" 180 Sophomore 1V New York (South Kent School)
Ike Obiagu
C
7' 2" 265 21 Sophomore 1V Abuja (Florida State)
Myles Powell
G
6' 2" 195 22 Senior 3V Trenton (Trenton Catholic)
Shavar Reynolds, Jr.
G
6' 2" 190 21 Junior 2V Manchester (Manchester Township HS)
Jared Rhoden
G-F
6' 6" 210 20 Sophomore 1V Baldwin (Our Saviour Lutheran)
Tyrese Samuel
F
6' 10" 220 Freshman HS Montreal
Taurean Thompson
F
6' 11" 235 22 Junior 2V New York (Syracuse)

I don't see your point on size issues.

Darnell Brodie
F
6' 9" 265 Sophomore 1V Newark (Newark East Side HS)
Myles Cale
G-F
6' 6" 210 20 Junior 2V Middletown (Appoquinimink HS)
Romaro Gill
C
7' 2" 255 25 Senior 3V St. Thomas (Vincennes University)
Sandro Mamukelashvili
F
6' 11" 240 20 Junior 2V Tbilisi (Montverde Academy)
Quincy McKnight
G
6' 4" 185 23 Senior 3V Bridgeport (Sacred Heart)
Takal Molson
G
6' 5" 205 20 Junior 2V Buffalo (Canisius)
Anthony Nelson
G
6' 4" 180 Sophomore 1V New York (South Kent School)
Ike Obiagu
C
7' 2" 265 21 Sophomore 1V Abuja (Florida State)
Myles Powell
G
6' 2" 195 22 Senior 3V Trenton (Trenton Catholic)
Shavar Reynolds, Jr.
G
6' 2" 190 21 Junior 2V Manchester (Manchester Township HS)
Jared Rhoden
G-F
6' 6" 210 20 Sophomore 1V Baldwin (Our Saviour Lutheran)
Tyrese Samuel
F
6' 10" 220 Freshman HS Montreal
Taurean Thompson
F
6' 11" 235 22 Junior 2V New York (Syracuse)
Okay. So who do you put out there against a lineup of

Geo Baker 6’3
Caleb Mcconnell 6’7
Ron Harper 6’6
Akwasi Yeboah 6’6
Myles Johnson 6’10

Geo Baker 6’3 Powell 6'2"
Caleb Mcconnell 6’7 McKnight 6'4"
Ron Harper 6’6 Cale 6'6"
Akwasi Yeboah 6’6 Mamu 6'10''
Myles Johnson 6’10 Ike/Gill 7'2"

Geo Baker 6’3 Powell 6'2"
Caleb Mcconnell 6’7 McKnight 6'4"
Ron Harper 6’6 Cale 6'6"
Akwasi Yeboah 6’6 Mamu 6'10''
Myles Johnson 6’10 Ike/Gill 7'2"
If you think mcknight is 6’4, I gotta bridge to sell you. Caleb would just post him up and go to town

We have so much depth and versatility. The lineup combinations are endless. There are actually almost too many options for Pike. Hope he finds the right combinations and rotations by B1G play

[roll]

Maybe, just maybe, this match up is not good for RU. RU is a classic BIG team - bottom 4. :Laughing

This list isn’t going to age well

You must be a Zionist mentioning catholic league team.

He's right though-----it was very apparent last year when SHU and St John's were forced to shoot 3's over the RU Defense.

On the down side they went in. :):):)

If you think mcknight is 6’4, I gotta bridge to sell you. Caleb would just post him up and go to town
---
read an article on SHU's two 7'2" centers....I would not be too confident about any size
advantage you think we have....hope to be wrong

The two seven footers are both outstanding shot blockers but I doubt they will be on the floor at the same time. However our guys better be careful when shooting close to the basket. We saw one last year at the Pru Center and the other one, Ike when he came to the RAC with Florida State 2 years ago. I am certain Pikiell will remind our guys of that. Hopefully Myles can hold his own against them otherwise we might have to put in a smaller guy who is a decent shooter who can bring the center away from the basket. We might be able to force SHU to play differently than they want to for a while.

I’d be more concerned about facing two 7’2” centers if Gene was still here, and we were still running a good portion of our offense through him, expecting him to back down his man and score underneath.

This year it may be to our advantage, with the way we can run and bury it from deep.

Hawk, if we lose I will be pissed and will consider it a bad loss. I do know it is not a Eddie like gimme game anymore. Both games with pike have been tough. He ds well, and you play tough. Someone gets hot., the rac gets loud and who knows. Unless it is Myles getting hot and the shac gets loud...I expect the unexpected. And I hope someday we are both up there in the rankings and the wild games we have played get the pub they deserve.

---
read an article on SHU's two 7'2" centers....I would not be too confident about any size
advantage you think we have....hope to be wrong
Back court. I’m not concerned about two trees with little to no offensive skill

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT