ADVERTISEMENT

Shaking my head as RutgersAl has gone full madness

For most QBs, yes. To be fair, that’s probably why Al sees the “potential” in Gavin. But after 3 years, he has not made even modest improvement in terms of ball placement and speed on the shorts. He throws passes just as hard to receivers standing 4 feet away from him as he does down field. That’s been a big part of his problem and it didn’t seem like much progress was made based on the spring game.

To be fair, it's been 3 years of Rutgers coaching.
Can't expect Gavin to improve in that type of situation.

Perhaps, as Al predicts, Gavin will improve now that he has gotten away from the Rutgers staff and gets the coaching he needs.

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Perhaps, as Al predicts, Gavin will improve now that he has gotten away from the Rutgers staff and gets the coaching he needs.

Sure, I guess so. I’m not expecting this to be the case though mainly because most other QBs have the short bunny game squared away in high school. Really not sure what Gavin’s issue is with this, but very few college coaches have experience correcting it because for most, correction isn’t needed. I’m not sure why he’s predicting UK will have the magic bullet, but hey, anything is possible.

Reactions: NickRU714
I agree with this on most of his posts. In this case though touting how we let a future Heisman caliber go isn’t exactly upbeat and pro-Rutgers. I rarely agree with Shelby, but in this case he’s 100% right that it wouldn’t be a good look for RU at all if what Al is predicting and rooting for Re Gavin actually happens. It wouldn’t matter the whys? Or if coaching was the reason - if Gavin Wimsatt develops into a Heismann candidate next season after only a summer / late spring off season at UK that is a horrible look for our program. Nothing against Gavin but no fan of RU should be rooting for this.
You are increasingly agreeing with the chap you call Shelby. He welcomes you to the light.

Reactions: dconifer

It seems to me that it doesn't take much coaching to solve this problem. All he has to do is see that his receiver isn't catching the ball, or catches it in such a way that he doesn't gain many yards, and adjust. That's why, as @PSAL_Hoops says, the problem is rare -- most QBs can fix it on their own. Is it really that difficult not to throw the ball as hard or to focus on leading the receiver?

Last edited:
It seems to me that it doesn't take much coaching to solve this problem. All he has to do is see that his receiver isn't catching the ball, or catches it in such a way that he doesn't \ gain many yards, and adjust. That's why, as you say, the problem is rare -- most QBs can fix it on their own. Is it really that difficult not to throw the ball as hard or to focus on leading the receiver?
Like with shooting foul shots, either you can or you can't. Coaches can't give you what the Almighty did not (coordination).

You are increasingly agreeing with the chap you call Shelby. He welcomes you to the light.

No not really. I still disagree with most things you say but your not wrong here. There’s no spin where a GW Heisman push at UK wouldn’t be a bad look for Rutgers.

No not really. I still disagree with most things you say but your not wrong here. There’s no spin where a GW Heisman push at UK wouldn’t be a bad look for Rutgers.
Nevermind Heisman push....even showing passing ability there is evidence the coaches failed him here, and would be an obvious and accurate negative QB recruiting angle other programs can use against us.

Nevermind Heisman push....even showing passing ability there is evidence the coaches failed him here, and would be an obvious and accurate negative QB recruiting angle other programs can use against us.

Nah not necessarily. Thats going back to your usual “let’s look for ways to trash Schiano” MO. Gavin was perfectly fine at executing rehearsed design plays. If UK uses him in that way for occasional set plays with success, that won’t be surprising nor will it have any meaning at all with respect to Rutgers. Also - he’s another year more experienced so I’d expect at least some improvement year over year.

The point is - Heisman candidate, would in all conceivable contexts, present Rutgers in a horrible light. It would mean Gavin wins the starting role, leads UK to at least 8-9 wins in the SEC and becomes a national story line of success.

Reactions: NickRU714

I dont watch much other CFB.
Just surprised that Kentucky of all schools has coaches that Al thinks could "fix" Wimsatt.
I would have imagined Al would put the Kentucky staff well behind Rutgers.

If Wimsatt had transferred to Temple, would Al have the same post that the Temple staff could potentially fix Wimsatt?

It's not like he transfered to Clemson or Washington or Utah (I had to look up what schools had top OCs).

Nah not necessarily. Thats going back to your usual “let’s look for ways to trash Schiano” MO. Gavin was perfectly fine at executing rehearsed design plays. If UK uses him in that way for occasional set plays with success, that won’t be surprising nor will it have any meaning at all with respect to Rutgers. Also - he’s another year more experienced so I’d expect at least some improvement year over year.

The point is - Heisman candidate, would in all conceivable contexts, present Rutgers in a horrible light. It would mean Gavin wins the starting role, leads UK to at least 8-9 wins in the SEC and becomes a national story line of success.
No, I don't blame Schiano at all for GW's passing incompetence. Am glad he's gone, and AK can't possibly be worse.

All plays are rehearsed and designed. In games, he could not execute the passing plays, He wasn't even capable of RPO

Many Rutgers football fans are talking about 10+ wins this season.

Really? Who?

In this case though touting how we let a future Heisman caliber go isn’t exactly upbeat and pro-Rutgers.

Don't forget this is the 3rd time we did this: we let Illinois steal Art Sitkowski from us and the Northwestern State Demons reeled in Stanley King!

No, I don't blame Schiano at all for GW's passing incompetence. Am glad he's gone, and AK can't possibly be worse.

All plays are rehearsed and designed. In games, he could not execute the passing plays, He wasn't even capable of RPO
That’s not accurate. Someone really ought to tally up his stats on opening drives. If the pass play didn’t break down and everything went exactly as planned - meaning Gavin was able to get a mid range / longish throw off exactly as rehearsed and the plan A intended receiver was able to get exactly where he needed to be Gavin was able to execute - even throwing into tight space. The issues arose when plays broke down or required even slight modification. He showed no ability to adapt, including in his run game. He only ran on design QB draws. Not scrambles (or at least very rarely).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT