ADVERTISEMENT

Should Ash bench Bolin and start Lewis , the future of the program?

The whole point of starting a 5th year transfer player is because he's more experienced and a proven asset in terms of leadership, knowledge and decision-making, and can be the difference-maker for wins and losses against the average schools and beat the teams we should be beating.

If he's not providing that big advantage (I'd say Bolin was the primary reason we lost last night against a very mediocre EMU team due to his poor decision-making, you can say that with our loss last week as well, his terrible picks directly gave away our chances), bench him and go for the younger ones that were recruited here, and worked hard to earn their shot to play.

Reactions: RUBound
No, kid's a freshman. We need to go with the best player we have. This isn't the NFL we need to recruit and in order to recruit, we need to win now.

i'd like to see GIO get a shot. I also hope that people don't expect Lewis to be Lamar Jackson. It was 1 play, but Lewis did not seem to have game changing speed on his designed run
All the game changing speed in the world is useless if nobody gets blocked. Lewis was hit immediately after the snap. Running an offense built around zone read principles still requires blocking.

Tough decision for Ash. It's obvious that Bolin is there to manage the game , avoid embarrassing losses like Michigan last year, and put the team in a position to stay close and possibly steal a win or two. But he will not "win" games for Rutgers. But if Lewis is as good as advertised, should Ash throw him to wolves and sink or swim with him now or continue to start Bolin and gradually play Lewis and maybe start him by the 4th or 5th game? If Maryland's Kassim Hill can start now and be successful why couldn't Lewis?
Time for Lewis. We won't be favored after next week and may not win another game so bring him in smartly. Don't just throw him out and loose confidence. Make sure there is s plan.

If Lewis is kind of ready, then OK. Get him out there against Morgan State next week.

If he's not ready, then no. I'd go Gio.
If Lewis proves he can run the offense in practice, at least competently, then give him some playing time. Can't believe he would be able to run all the plays at this point, but let him do whatever he can game plan wise.
Otherwise, give Gio a shot and maybe he can provide a spark and move the chains. He certainly can run which provides the element Bolin can't.
Until we find out if Lewis can complete passes, the other team will know what's coming and that won't help us either. But if he gradually feels.more comfortable in game situations, it opens up the offense. I think we have growing pains to contend with to get better, like it or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT