ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Are we now locked into the 12-13 game?

Wondering the same thing. If we beat Ohio State and Maryland beats State Penn, it's a four way tie for 10th place at 8-12. Somebody is actually avoiding the first day. Not sure how the four-way tiebreaker would play out.

We will not beat Ohio State not with a depleted team . Rutgers with all it’s home court advantages can’t find a consistent group of 8 players.

My take from all of this -- Michigan is 3-16? I didn't realize how far they'd fallen so fast...

If Maryland beats Penn State, we might be setup for a great tournament run.

PSU > Wisconsin > Northwestern

Penn State we played just horrible but no reason we can’t beat them

Wisconsin yes we just lost but neutral floor will be very different

Northwestern is just not the same team. They are now Rutgers of last year after losing Ty Berry.

Go on a 3 game run and all of a sudden the hype is back and NIT is a given. Purdue would be next so I wouldn’t expect anything there especially after 3 straight days of playing, but it sets up our best chances IMO

Northwestern is just not the same team. They are now Rutgers of last year after losing Ty Berry.

Go on a 3 game run and all of a sudden the hype is back and NIT is a given. Purdue would be next so I wouldn’t expect anything there especially after 3 straight days of playing, but it sets up our best chances IMO
Dream big but I wouldn't expect much. Our offense is atrocious. Mag looks like he can't wait to be done.

Hope springs eternal!

Give me a revenge game vs. PSU. I don't want to see that a$$hat Reese anymore either.

Thanks. Good link.

10. Ohio St (8 - 12) With Maryland, above Penn St and Rutgers based on round-robin record (3-2). Above Maryland based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Purdue] (1-0).
11. Maryland (8 - 12) With Ohio St, above Penn St and Rutgers based on round-robin record (3-2). Below Ohio St based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Purdue] (0-1).
12. Penn St (8 - 12) With Rutgers, below Maryland and Ohio St based on round-robin record (2-3). Above Rutgers based on winning percentage against #2 teams [Illinois] (1-0).
13. Rutgers (8 - 12) With Penn St, below Maryland and Ohio St based on round-robin record (2-3). Below Penn St based on winning percentage against #2 teams [Illinois] (0-2).

Thanks. Good link.

10. Ohio St (8 - 12) With Maryland, above Penn St and Rutgers based on round-robin record (3-2). Above Maryland based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Purdue] (1-0).
11. Maryland (8 - 12) With Ohio St, above Penn St and Rutgers based on round-robin record (3-2). Below Ohio St based on winning percentage against #1 teams [Purdue] (0-1).
12. Penn St (8 - 12) With Rutgers, below Maryland and Ohio St based on round-robin record (2-3). Above Rutgers based on winning percentage against #2 teams [Illinois] (1-0).
13. Rutgers (8 - 12) With Penn St, below Maryland and Ohio St based on round-robin record (2-3). Below Penn St based on winning percentage against #2 teams [Illinois] (0-2).
Thank you, not as tricky as I thought...

We will not beat Ohio State not with a depleted team . Rutgers with all it’s home court advantages can’t find a consistent group of 8 players.
Ohio State is still in play for a bye in the Big Ten tournament and still has a puncher's chance of making the NCAA Tournament. A lot on the line for them. Very little at stake for RU besides pride.

like the 12/13 because it gets the season over with instead of annexing a win vs Michigan and then getting pounded by Iowa in the next round

Anybody want to have a go at this in the event of a four-way tie?
A few things seems pretty clear.

1) we’re in the 12-13 game no matter what.

2) if we lose - OSU can finish no worse than 11th and cannot be our opponent. In that case - we would play the loser of the PSU vs Maryland game.

3) 4 way tie - We can’t finish ahead of PSU. They would win every possible tie breaker (head to head, better record against top of standings - they have a win over the Illini and only one loss to Purdue). But I don’t think that matters anyway because:

4) 4 way tie - RU and PSU would be 2-3. OSU and Maryland would be 3-2. I believe this means OSU and Maryland would get the 10th and 11th spots - and PSU would be 12th and us 13th in that situation.

5) if we win and PSU beats Maryland I think we are the 12 seed and we play Maryland. OSU has the tie breaker over us based on their win over Purdue.

or God forbid losing to Michigan
We can’t get the 11 seed. We lose all the tie breakers. No better than splits on head to head, worse percentage record in 4 way tie. OSU beat Purdue and Maryland and PSU beat Illinois.

We’re not playing Michigan.

Ohio State is still in play for a bye in the Big Ten tournament and still has a puncher's chance of making the NCAA Tournament. A lot on the line for them. Very little at stake for RU besides pride.
Agree… but playing for PRIDE? That ship sailed 3 weeks ago and after listening to the most recent podcast Pikiell has some fixing to do.

It might actually be the case that we play the loser of the PSU vs Maryland game no matter what.

like the 12/13 because it gets the season over with instead of annexing a win vs Michigan and then getting pounded by Iowa in the next round
That would be acceptable to Maryland fans, given that their team swept Iowa this year.

Of course, message board amateur psychologists across the land can interpret those results any way they want, depending on what outcome the want ( "Maryland has their number", "Iowa players will be motivated", or insert a different cliche)...

Reactions: Local Shill
We can’t get the 11 seed. We lose all the tie breakers. No better than splits on head to head, worse percentage record in 4 way tie. OSU beat Purdue and Maryland and PSU beat Illinois.

We’re not playing Michigan.
I know we're not playing Michigan. I was responding to bac2therac's comment about why it's a good thing we are not playing in that game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT