ADVERTISEMENT

Sidelines Signals Senders????

RUforester72

All Conference
Jul 23, 2014
Bend Oregon
Every time I watch a college football game the TV camera inevitably will pan to a couple of guys with brightly colored ball caps on the sidelines who are waving their hands frantically towards the team on the field. Who are these people?

Sometimes this is accompanied by someone holding up giant placards, with a photo or a symbol in each quadrant. Could be a Duck or a hammer or a pic of Richard Nixon. Haven't seen Trump there yet.

My question: are these guys really transmitting any info, or is it just some kind of distraction meant for the opponents coaches and their spies? While it may or may not part of the game, it can be entertaining!

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Every time I watch a college football game the TV camera inevitably will pan to a couple of guys with brightly colored ball caps on the sidelines who are waving their hands frantically towards the team on the field. Who are these people?

Sometimes this is accompanied by someone holding up giant placards, with a photo or a symbol in each quadrant. Could be a Duck or a hammer or a pic of Richard Nixon. Haven't seen Trump there yet.

My question: are these guys really transmitting any info, or is it just some kind of distraction meant for the opponents coaches and their spies? While it may or may not part of the game, it can be antertaining!

yes

Heres some background for ya.

Not sure when the boards were first used and by who..but they were used in Oregon in 2010 as a way to make play calling and signal deciphering faster, quicker and more entertaining for the players. Helfrich, the Ducks OC at the time, also had a fear his signals were being compromised by the other team..thus created this code.

Basically each photo means a different play, formation, etc. and usually only one photo is "active" each drive.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/04/oregon_football_ducks_signal_n.html

Heres some background for ya.

Not sure when the boards were first used and by who..but they were used in Oregon in 2010 as a way to make play calling and signal deciphering faster, quicker and more entertaining for the players. Helfrich, the Ducks OC at the time, also had a fear his signals were being compromised by the other team..thus created this code.

Basically each photo means a different play, formation, etc. and usually only one photo is "active" each drive.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/04/oregon_football_ducks_signal_n.html

Thank you! Living in Oregon and being a long time Duck fan, I should have known that!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT