ADVERTISEMENT

Sixes on ESPN2 Currently

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
Rutgers' own Brennan Kamish and Christian Mazzone playing in this game. It's basically basketball lacrosse.

Sort of interesting to see how the concepts are developing.

I’m just not a fan. Fast, yes. The game is actually better in the 2nd half when the players are so tired they slow it down. It’s box lacrosse with a 6x6 goal. Looks like Canada will will the gold medal in the first lacrosse Olympics.

Reactions: mattkamish
It's definitely different. I think the strategy will continue to evolve. Canada definitely has an advantage at the moment, though the out of bounds will help mitigate that.

I went and watched tonight. I’m gonna go and watch tomorrow night as well. I want to watch a couple more games before I render judgement.

I will say that I clearly prefer the normal field game…

Friday I’ll drive up to Rutgers from DC. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of friends at the RU v Loyola game on Sat

Sixies is exactly what every youth player should only play until they get to middle school. Eliminate the full field youth games. The more touches the better your skills. I’m all for this format at the youth level. After that, give me field and give me box.

Sixies is exactly what every youth player should only play until they get to middle school. Eliminate the full field youth games. The more touches the better your skills. I’m all for this format at the youth level. After that, give me field and give me box.
Having coached youth lax I have to agree. Touches, touches and more touches. Many people will tell you the biggest difference between your average REC kid and a club kid is the ability to go offhand. I disagree as many club kids are also poor with their offhand. No, the difference is a REC kid can have a stationary throw and catch session and look just fine. Once you ask them to throw and catch WHILE RUNNING it often falls apart. Drills that throw and catch with tempo (west genny etc) while moving the feet are the second best way to expedite skills.....after wall ball of course!

It’s not just kids. Im still amazed when I go back to RU and watch practice. IT’s unrecognizable from how we practiced. Small group breakouts all over. Makes a lot more sense. There is very little standing around and cardio can be done while doing lacrosse specific activities.

It’s not just kids. Im still amazed when I go back to RU and watch practice. IT’s unrecognizable from how we practiced. Small group breakouts all over. Makes a lot more sense. There is very little standing around and cardio can be done while doing lacrosse specific activities.
Yup! A full field with stations is simply the best use of time. Man up O vs man down D over here, 3 v 3 west genny over there. Mids working their hitch, attackers working on their question marks.... love it.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
It's also about our style. I don't know how it happens but it all comes together when we go full field.

If you didn't know better, it looks like mass chaos.

Reactions: mattkamish
A most rewarding endeavor and something my kids will remember and hopefully pass down to their own children.
I coached hoops and taught my kids how to golf…Never lacrosse. Not much advice I can give my kids with regards to lacrosse. I think that’s why they love it…I’m reduced to saying “what do you guys want to do for dinner, I’ll buy” 😉🤣

I coached hoops and taught my kids how to golf…Never lacrosse. Not much advice I can give my kids with regards to lacrosse. I think that’s why they love it…I’m reduced to saying “what do you guys want to do for dinner, I’ll buy” 😉🤣

hahaha, that's great. Sports are sports, especially one's like hoops and lacrosse. The games may be different but what it takes to excel is all very similar in every sport. I'm sure they learned a lot from you.

I never understood the running during my kid’s lax practices when many needed huge improvement in stick skills. Just do everything fast. No standing around. Get game like cardio and extra touches. Seems basic.

Reactions: Caliknight
Definitely helps with the younger guys especially.

College guys you need to take training to a much higher level.

I went and watched tonight. I’m gonna go and watch tomorrow night as well. I want to watch a couple more games before I render judgement.

I will say that I clearly prefer the normal field game…

Friday I’ll drive up to Rutgers from DC. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of friends at the RU v Loyola game on Sat

This game is perfect for Brennan, and actually seems designed for old time pre-specialization middies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT