ADVERTISEMENT

So next year we’ll be talking about an $8mil buyout

Why would the state legislature need to allocate said funding? The University has the money to do it, without state intervention.

The reason it's not going to happen is because we're already tapping that revenue stream. The University "loaned" the athletic department more than $11 million last year as part of the funds required to close the athletic department's deficit.

Barchi's message was clear - by 2021 there will be no more institutional support of Rutgers athletics. The department cannot afford to incur any additional indebtedness that it can't pay off by then.

I'm trying to get creative. But it does seem to me like some donors were willing to pony up, in any case, based on what I am reading.

I'm trying to get creative. But it does seem to me like some donors were willing to pony up, in any case, based on what I am reading.

I honestly haven't heard any credible stories about donors coming up with large sums of money.

I believe this may be because, for this year at least, Hobbs is simply resistant to change. This simply wasn't our year to make a move.

I honestly haven't heard any credible stories about donors coming up with large sums of money.

I believe this may be because, for this year at least, Hobbs is simply resistant to change. This simply wasn't our year to make a move.

It frustrates me to think someone offered money and was rebuffed.

Ash, who is now 7-29 at Rutgers, giving him the worst winning percentage of any coach in school history by a hair over Terry Shea.

"That's fine,". :eek: [roll]

Hobbs needs to go too. Sorry. If he’s so great at raising money. Figure it out.
Actually Schiano was 8-27 after 3 yrs 12-34 after 4 yrs but thar was acceptable.

It frustrates me to think someone offered money and was rebuffed.

I'm more frustrated by the "big ticket" mentality.

If you poll the mid-level donors you'll find that we had much better relationships under prior regimes. Pat's strategy is to focus on the people who give millions. The amount of attention being given to the people who donate thousands or tens of thousands has diminished.

The problem with that, of course, is that the sum total of all of those donations is more than the total of the big donations. He's basically turned his back on half the donor base.

If you poll the mid-level donors you'll find that we had much better relationships under prior regimes. Pat's strategy is to focus on the people who give millions. The amount of attention being given to the people who donate thousands or tens of thousands has diminished.

The problem with that, of course, is that the sum total of all of those donations is more than the total of the big donations. He's basically turned his back on half the donor base.

Glad to know there are more problems. Ugh. It just sucks that a lot of people much older than myself are delaying seeing RU ever get it right. And that kids who started school 15 and later will not know winning.

Actually Schiano was 8-27 after 3 yrs 12-34 after 4 yrs but thar was acceptable.[/QUOTE]

That’s a quote from NJ.com about the records, argue with them. Ash said “that’s fine”
He’s a buffoon.

RU fans have stockholm syndrome.

Schiano was bringing in better and better players every year. Ash isn’t. It’s night and day. Apples and oranges. No one ever said Schiano is a great coach. He was a great recruiter. Ash is neither.

Why are people being arduous about this?

Reactions: BlockR
I should be clearer that I am talking about a loan against revenue from the B1G being guaranteed to increase. However, I'm sure other states essentially bail out coaches given a lot small public schools fired their coaches this year.

You may recall the state wouldn't give us a loan against revenue for the stadium expansion. Although Corzine is no longer governor, I don't think the politics of the issue have changed that much. As for other schools, remember that we run the biggest deficit of anybody.

I don't know that Hobbs is that different than Pernetti or Mulcahy in that regard. (In the case of Mulachy, it may have been more a case of football vs non-football donor, and not big-ticket vs mid-level.)

Will the year to make a change be one where Asherror goes winless the entire season?
HOBBS will remain for now because Barchi could care less about athletics.thing to watch is when certain BOG members, who wanted Ash gone ,raised preliminary money,get tired of Ash/Hobbs next season,and get Barchi motivated themselves.Then Hobbs will be on an island.

Aren't guys like Joe Giamo in development there to take care of the mid-level donors?

Actually Schiano was 8-27 after 3 yrs 12-34 after 4 yrs but thar was acceptable.

That’s a quote from NJ.com about the records, argue with them. Ash said “that’s fine”
He’s a buffoon.

Schiano was bringing in better and better players every year. Ash isn’t. It’s night and day. Apples and oranges. No one ever said Schiano is a great coach. He was a great recruiter. Ash is neither.

Why are people being arduous about this?[/QUOTE]
Last time i checked Schiano wasnt playing in the B1G. The last time i checked our Defense played stellar competitive defense against the best in the conference..

Dont spin it my man just say your a hater

Reactions: Knight Shift
He’s a buffoon.

Last time i checked Schiano wasnt playing in the B1G. The last time i checked our Defense played stellar competitive defense against the best in the conference..

Dont spin it my man just say your a hater[/QUOTE]
You are CLUELESS

He’s a buffoon.

Dont spin it my man just say your a hater[/QUOTE]
Steller defence against the best in the conference?? Is PSU or MSU the best in the conference? Which one of those are playing in the B1G Championship. Before that Michigan put 42 on us and before that the great Wisconsin put 31. Wow. Impressive

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Not sure how anyone can defend this contract. Ash was an unproven headcoach who had little to no leverage. A 7 year guaranteed contract was not necessary. Did anyone from Rutgers leadership ask what would happen if Ash didnt work out? The answer is either no which is not acceptable or yes and the fact there was no contingency plan is not acceptable.

Not sure how anyone can defend this contract. Ash was an unproven headcoach who had little to no leverage. A 7 year guaranteed contract was not necessary. Did anyone from Rutgers leadership ask what would happen if Ash didnt work out? The answer is either no which is not acceptable or yes and the fact there was no contingency plan is not acceptable.
Except it has been stated over about 1000 times here it was not a 7 year contract.

Schiano was bringing in better and better players every year.

Not quite true.

GS showed immediate results. Made a big splash. But during and after year three there was a dip. Recruiting ramped up again when we started making bowl games.. but recruiting is not a year by year decision for recruits. It takes awhile to prime the pump... and, for Rutgers, it is very easy for the "pump" to fail and for recruits to spill out everywhere.

What we needed was to have 2 years in a row similar to 2006.. that would help a lot. Then the people who become enamored in 2006 would have seen a great 2007 to sell them. But 2007 started so-so... when it came time for recruits to commit during the season, Rutgers has barely over .500.. but we had a lesser bowl game and win.. so the 2008 recruits might have been primed to some extent.. but 2008 season began so poorly...

We just couldn't keep the positive recruiting momentum when it would have worked to our best advantage.

Just think of Ash and this season.. he had middling recruits.. and some of them left as the season progressed.. same thing happened to Schiano.. it is just that his recruits were much better.

They negotiated what the market would allow. No worthwhile candidate was going to accept the risk of sanctions without being paid a risk premium or more years. Rutgers chose more years. Saying Rutgers should have just moved on to other candidates is 20/20 hindsight. Remember also that Ash had the possible choice of Syracuse, whom he turned down.

Revenue neutrality is more important than winning, as long as Barchi is here. Season ticket holders and donations dropping? Offset by increase in Big Ten payments.

Reactions: retired711
The 8MM includes his salary next year. Hobbs has already given him the vote of confidence for the year. So basically by this time next year, he’ll be owed 6MM or thereabouts if I’m not mistaken. Plus with a $21+ MM BTN payout next year, it should be less of a financial kick to the nuts when we need to shed him.

The 8MM includes his salary next year. Hobbs has already given him the vote of confidence for the year. So basically by this time next year, he’ll be owed 6MM or thereabouts if I’m not mistaken. Plus with a $21+ MM BTN payout next year, it should be less of a financial kick to the nuts when we need to shed him.

If you do all the math, this time next year he would be owed $7,942,307.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Again, for the millionth time, the increase in Big Ten money does nothing for Athletics. It will simply reduces the subsidy Rutgers pays into Athlectics. Barchi will still have to approve the full buyout or Hobbs finds donors to cover it.

Dont spin it my man just say your a hater
You are CLUELESS[/QUOTE]

Schiano had as many wins against the B1G as Ash does...and Schiano didn't play in the B1G.

Schiano also managed to win games against MAC teams. That's too lofty a goal for Ash. When should we expect that, Year 6?

Reactions: BlockR
You may recall the state wouldn't give us a loan against revenue for the stadium expansion. Although Corzine is no longer governor, I don't think the politics of the issue have changed that much. As for other schools, remember that we run the biggest deficit of anybody.

Didn't Corzine give 1M of his own money? I wonder if Murphy was asked this, he definitely has plenty. I don't want to politicize a football thread but given the national climate and that in NJ the past two elections I doubt our incumbent pols are too worried about political blow back for canning Ash. Our admin probably is- but these are people that hesitated around canning Mike Rice.

Didn't Corzine give 1M of his own money? I wonder if Murphy was asked this, he definitely has plenty. I don't want to politicize a football thread but given the national climate and that in NJ the past two elections I doubt our incumbent pols are too worried about political blow back for canning Ash. Our admin probably is- but these are people that hesitated around canning Mike Rice.

You miss my point. They wouldn't care about canning Ash, but they are not going to want to give taxpayers' money to Rutgers for that purpose.

BTW, I recall that Corzine promised he'd fund-raise among his friends. But his lawyers ruled that that would be improper. That's why we had to issue the bonds. I wonder if the interest on those bonds is being charged to the football program? I doubt it, even though football was the sole reason for the expansion.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
You miss my point. They wouldn't care about canning Ash, but they are not going to want to give taxpayers' money to Rutgers for that purpose.

BTW, I recall that Corzine promised he'd fund-raise among his friends. But his lawyers ruled that that would be improper. That's why we had to issue the bonds. I wonder if the interest on those bonds is being charged to the football program? I doubt it, even though football was the sole reason for the expansion.

I was thinking sneak in some money as part of an overall package on free community college like Murphy promised.

Last I checked Shea left little to no talent, while Ash had a team with some talent that produced far far worse than the talent level.

Think Kratch was correct that their wasn't a real talent differential in 9 of 12 games this year. It was a clear coaching game day and preparation differential.

Ad a lessening talent input and you have quite a different picture than what was clearly GS improving the program and all around it. Who in their right mind thinks this program is in better shape than it was a few years ago?

It's so much more than 1-11 that is the problem. Add to that growing apathy, less media coverage etc and the cost is waaaay more by retaining than by moving in a new direction.

They negotiated what the market would allow. No worthwhile candidate was going to accept the risk of sanctions without being paid a risk premium or more years. Rutgers chose more years. Saying Rutgers should have just moved on to other candidates is 20/20 hindsight. Remember also that Ash had the possible choice of Syracuse, whom he turned down.

Revenue neutrality is more important than winning, as long as Barchi is here. Season ticket holders and donations dropping? Offset by increase in Big Ten payments.
Always known this was not true.I just laughed when people brought it up. I'm glad I can provide proof now. Ash was never interviewed at Cuse..

In addition to Babers, Syracuse University's search committee met with four other candidates, according to Little.
  • D.J. Durkin
  • Randy Edsall
  • Scott Frost
  • Al Golden
Rutgers coach Chris Ash reportedly was a finalist for the position as well, although Little says SU never spoke with Ash.

https://www.syracuse.com/expo/sport...-footballs-hire-of.html#incart_social_feature

Always known this was not true.I just laughed when people brought it up. I'm glad I can provide proof now. Ash was never interviewed at Cuse..

In addition to Babers, Syracuse University's search committee met with four other candidates, according to Little.
  • D.J. Durkin
  • Randy Edsall
  • Scott Frost
  • Al Golden
Rutgers coach Chris Ash reportedly was a finalist for the position as well, although Little says SU never spoke with Ash.

https://www.syracuse.com/expo/sport...-footballs-hire-of.html#incart_social_feature

He didn’t interview because Rutgers was a better job, which Urban Meyer advised him to pursue.

Reactions: money3189
He didn’t interview because Rutgers was a better job, which Urban Meyer advised him to pursue.
Better job because he figured Ash could get some jersey kids. Cuse job is only tougher in terms of recruiting. You almost have to rely on out of state kids.

Better job because he figured Ash could get some jersey kids. Cuse job is only tougher in terms of recruiting. You almost have to rely on out of state kids.

Better job at the time. Right now the Cuse job is better because the program is built now.

Reactions: money3189
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT