ADVERTISEMENT

Solution to opting out after 4 games....

jerzey devil

All American
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2004
Pretty easy IMO... Adopt a rule just like in wrestling... In wrestling, true freshmen only, are allowed to wrestle in up to 5 competitions without burning their redshirt... If the NCAA adopted this for football...(keeping the 4 game model) It would effectively put an end to what we are seeing happen these past couple weeks... Thoughts anyone?

I think it'll come back to an upperclassman say, "Wait a second - I didn't come here to play for Ash. I'm a Flood guy!!" and now you're telling him he can't transfer. If it's that easy for a Coach to leave (or in my scenario, a school to get rid of its coach), then why shouldn't the the player be allowed to leave. Heck - students can transfer whenever they want.

I think - because this has become a professional league - they should do what's done in the NFL. That student signs a contract. Maybe it's a one-year contract, maybe it's four. But, this takes the guess-work out of the transfer question.

I think it'll come back to an upperclassman say, "Wait a second - I didn't come here to play for Ash. I'm a Flood guy!!" and now you're telling him he can't transfer. If it's that easy for a Coach to leave (or in my scenario, a school to get rid of its coach), then why shouldn't the the player be allowed to leave. Heck - students can transfer whenever they want.

I think - because this has become a professional league - they should do what's done in the NFL. That student signs a contract. Maybe it's a one-year contract, maybe it's four. But, this takes the guess-work out of the transfer question.
I guess most current NIL deals are paid up front? Perhaps those should be paid out in increments during the season.

If NIL is how players are getting paid, then the details in terms of players staying at a school need to be worked out in the NIL contract.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Since players are going to be paid employees in the future, schools should then have the option to be able to trade players to other schools to fill gaps in their rosters.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Since players are going to be paid employees in the future, schools should then have the option to be able to trade players to other schools to fill gaps in their rosters.
We do see that in minor league baseball which includes players of a similar age.

We see it in Canadian Juniors hockey as well, which includes players which can be even younger.

But if a player is actually attending classes, and I think in a large majority of current cases players are actually students, that throws a wrench into the idea.

I'm talking about during the season...

Players are students as well, and like any other student, they can transfer academically if they want as well...

I am looking at the OP- I am not not trying to be difficult- but did you say- give them 5? It would change what we see in week 5 and 6 but doesnt it only change it- a game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT