ADVERTISEMENT

Starting Five for Georgetown game

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
After three games, there are some clear trends with this team, and with a Big East team coming in on Wednesday — with a really good coach — we need to play the guys who are performing the best at the present time. We cannot afford to lose another OOC game. Here’s my starting five for Wednesday:

1 - Simpson - he seems most in control of the team of the three small guards.

2 - Williams - he hasn’t lit up the scoreboard, but he plays defense and can drive to the basket.

3 - Gavin

4 - Hyatt

5 - Cliff

The dilemma here is whether to start Woolf at the 4 and push Williams to the bench, with Gavin playing the 2. I wouldn’t do it. From what I’ve seen, Gavin isn’t ready to handle the ball too much. He’s just too tall and only has an okay handle.

The above lineup gives us two pure shooters and so spaces the floor more for dribble drives by either Simpson or Williams.

The main reserves would be Woolf, Fernandes, JMike, and Palmquist.

I think you swap Woolf and Hyatt. Have Hyatt be first off the bench as a streaky shooter. Him and JMike could be sparks for different reasons.

I have no problem with Wolf coming off the bench. I really like him as a role player but not sure why many on this board are in love with him as a starter. He gets himself in the weeds sometimes, has trouble finishing and when he does get fouled going up he can’t make FTs.

I’m really not so interested in who starts …but far more interested who closes ….

Hyatt deserves to start, and my goal is to get Hyatt on the floor together with Gavin for as many minutes as possible.
You are on to something …

What I see is that for us to get our best five on the floor means this

Derek
Gavin
Andre
Mawot
Cliff

It requires gavin playing the two ….and it requires Mawot playing the best wing defender , aundre defending the four (and being tough on the board like he was today ) and gavin playing the lesser wing player …and possibly mixing some zone in …and mixing sone zone press to reduce the shot clock before maning it uo

Before you say defense is an issue with that line uo …here is the question for comparasion …

Is last year …post mag injury ….defense of

Cliff
Caleb guarding best wing offensice player
With
…Aundre , Paul and cam

Any different defensively with

Cliff
Mag guarding besr wing offensive player
With aundre, Derek and Gavin

Possibly similar …..

I just see.a very disjointed offense (and defense) with three shorter guards and I’m not seeing it with austin Williams on the wing ….so stealing minutes with Gavin at the two on offense is a. Option thar We may have to try

Limited data again in three games ..but think that’s how we have to play to have our best five on the court ….

You are on to something …

What I see is that for us to get our best five on the floor means this

Derek
Gavin
Andre
Mawot
Cliff

It requires gavin playing the two ….and it requires Mawot playing the best wing defender , aundre defending the four (and being tough on the board like he was today ) and gavin playing the lesser wing player …and possibly mixing some zone in …and mixing sone zone press to reduce the shot clock before maning it uo

Before you say defense is an issue with that line uo …here is the question for comparasion …

Is last year …post mag injury ….defense of

Cliff
Caleb guarding best wing offensice player
With
…Aundre , Paul and cam

Any different defensively with

Cliff
Mag guarding besr wing offensive player
With aundre, Derek and Gavin

Possibly similar …..

I just see.a very disjointed offense (and defense) with three shorter guards and I’m not seeing it with austin Williams on the wing ….so stealing minutes with Gavin at the two on offense is a. Option thar We may have to try

Limited data again in three games ..but think that’s how we have to play to have our best five on the court ….
I agree with this

Once we play against good teams Pike will quickly come to the realization cliff and Woolfolk have only 10 fouls. When you start both you can quickly get in to a bad spot where you dont have a C.

I am coming around to having Woolfolk play some 4. I just dont think it is wise off the bat. Once Mag is back(if he comes back) i am sure he slips in to that spot

Reactions: fatsam98
Ideally come December with Mag back I think we see us go back to game 1 line up -Cliff, Gavin, Hyatt, Simpson, and Noah. Mag first off the bench working back slowly
Wolf, Davis, Williams…..and Oskar in Spot duty

Noah should not start…he has been lackluster at best when on The floor and doesn’t act like the field general we expected out of a PG. when you have Simpson and Noah out there together there is even more confusion going on between the two of them.

Once we play against good teams Pike will quickly come to the realization cliff and Woolfolk have only 10 fouls. When you start both you can quickly get in to a bad spot where you dont have a C.

I am coming around to having Woolfolk play some 4. I just dont think it is wise off the bat. Once Mag is back(if he comes back) i am sure he slips in to that spot
Gemma Whelan Reaction GIF by BBC

If i am Mag and am not going to be 100% healthy and I am not a NBA player why waste a year. Get paid 2 more years.

If he got hurt 9 months ago is he going to be that much better in 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months.

I expect him to be back, but wouldn't shock me if he wasnt.

If i am Mag and am not going to be 100% healthy and I am not a NBA player why waste a year. Get paid 2 more years.

If he got hurt 9 months ago is he going to be that much better in 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months.

I expect him to be back, but wouldn't shock me if he wasnt.
He ll be back soon per Mag himself. Chatted with him after the game. Ogelbe should be able to play in January. 🤞

I didn't watch the Georgetown Holy Cross game (it was actually on FS2), but Georgetown has accumulated a lot of talented pieces. I definitely can see them getting better as the season moves forward.

For Wednesday, I would leave the lineup in place. There is nothing wrong with bringing Gavin Griffiths off the bench and starting Austin Williams for now. Austin is a veteran guard and if you start him in both halves, you can get an automatic 6 to 8 minutes of playing time and productivity out of him with those minutes and then find an additional 8 minutes of play in the rest of each half.

If Austin Williams gets a 1st foul early in the game, it's not going to affect the rotation and scoring.

If Gavin Griffiths gets called for a foul in the 1st 4 minutes of the game, he's likely to play more cautious. If Gavin gets 2 fouls in the 1st half, depending on when that happens, he's likely to sit the rest of the half.

Both Davis and Griffiths need minutes to play and learn, but whether they start or not is irrelevant. What matters is that both Davis and Griffiths (and Simpson and Woolfolk) all play at least 18 to 20 minutes a game all season.

Once Mag is back on the court, if you want to start Mag and Austin Williams together, that would make sense. Neither player is in line or should play 30 minutes a game. Getting them onto the court for the start of each half, locks on 6 to 8 minutes a game and they can rebound, defend and if the ball finds them and a scoring opportunity is there, they can score.

This is a roster that is 9 to 10 deep and depending on matchups, will vary on that and foul trouble.

I have no problem with Wolf coming off the bench. I really like him as a role player but not sure why many on this board are in love with him as a starter. He gets himself in the weeds sometimes, has trouble finishing and when he does get fouled going up he can’t make FTs.

I think we love the athleticism and quickness since he’s slimmed down. Potential to be among the better 4s in the Big Ten is there.

But you’re right, needs to get reliable from the charity stripe and needs to take better care of the basketball.

Reactions: RUPete
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT