ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Pikiell Hired Per Politi

Yes there is a big difference. He has recruited at a big successful school and a small school that was unsuccessful before he came. Would you say the same thing about Ash?
Ash has yet to show at Rutgers how successful he will be recruiting as compared to league competition.Time will tell.

May the DOUBLE force be with him...because plain 'ol force is just not enough!!

Welcome and good luck coach! Get to the NCAAT and you may just get a parade down college ave!

UntIll Rutgers commits to making a real commitment to basketball in terms of financing and infrastructure, it won't matter who coaches here. They will be banging their heads against the same wall. Why should top players come here, vs schools with better legacies, with better facilities, and big name coaches? That's why Danny Hurley doesn't want to come here unless he gets a long term contract. Rebuilding this program is gonna require recruiting, coaching and commitment and time!

Congrats. He will have you guys respectable quickly. If Kevin Ollie ever left for the NBA, he was a guy I was hoping we'd consider.

Per Carino article:

"Pikiell has a good relationship with Rutgers assistant Greg “Shoes” Vetrone and that should help him retain Rutgers’ best player, freshman point guard Corey Sanders."

The core pieces should remain. Keep Thiam on board and we could be pretty decent next year with a coach that can get the most out of his players

Reactions: shields and ruman
Congrats. He will have you guys respectable quickly. If Kevin Ollie ever left for the NBA, he was a guy I was hoping we'd consider.

That will become inevitable if Pik can get a turnaround done here....or at least underway and Ollie moves up. But if that happens, Pik would be beloved here regardless.

UntIll Rutgers commits to making a real commitment to basketball in terms of financing and infrastructure, it won't matter who coaches here. They will be banging their heads against the same wall. Why should top players come here, vs schools with better legacies, with better facilities, and big name coaches? That's why Danny Hurley doesn't want to come here unless he gets a long term contract. Rebuilding this program is gonna require recruiting, coaching and commitment and time!

You obviously paid attention to nothing last week. The commitment IS here; Hurley himself even said so (through his agent) and it was NOT the reason he didn't take the position.

Apologies if this has been brought up already. Didnt read all three pages yet.

Assistant coaches are the key here. IMHO if Waters had hired higher grade assistants he would have had us dancing. We need to spend the money here.

Reactions: ejgonz
No one else wanted this job. Well known fact that the program has carried a curse for 25 years - generations of coaches, scandals and a statistically improbable record of consistent failure. This is a brave man - wish him luck.

You're only as good as your players at this level. Bottom line is you need a bunch of 4-star kids to compete with the big boys. Either you get them or you don't. Nothing is sustainable without several top 100 players. It's just not. Sad reality. You don't have to have top 50 guys but you better have, at minimum, a few guys on the backend of that top 100. Or you're toast.

Reactions: harlemsfinest
Solid choice . Academics have nothing to do with it though . He's not recruiting Rhodes scholars, well he sure as hell better not be. Calhoun taught him better . UnC is a good academic school.

Not saying our new HC was part of it or that the whole school deserves to be blamed, but under Calhoun academics wasn't a part of his program and the MBB program was sanctioned by the NCAA for it's dismal academic performance.

Pikiell might not be recruiting Rhodes Scholars, but the players he does will be expected to preform in the classroom , which didn't happen during Calhoun's last years at UConn.

A lot of Debbie Downers here. I get why people are skeptical but give it a rest for one day and be happy we found a coach.
Really? All I'm seeing is everyone being all behind this merely because we found a coach. I realize Stony Brook went to the NCAAs. But it's Stony Brook. It's the America East. This is not the Big Ten. I'm not gonna write him off until I see who he hires as assistants or what the team looks like, but up front this is just more of the same small Rutgers thinking to me. Disappointed.

Yes he came here from Stony Brook. But wasn't he also an assistant at UConn? I seem to remember them winning a national championship or two. It's not like he doesn't know how a big time program operates and he also has recruited at the highest level.

Per Carino article:

"Pikiell has a good relationship with Rutgers assistant Greg “Shoes” Vetrone and that should help him retain Rutgers’ best player, freshman point guard Corey Sanders."

The core pieces should remain. Keep Thiam on board and we could be pretty decent next year with a coach that can get the most out of his players
We might play defense for the first time in four years

Lots of proven winners at the mid major level fall on their face at the highest level.
and some suceed.
Many HOF Coaches started out at the mid major level.
Also some coaches from a major basketball conference program move to another program considered a traditional power and fall flat on their face at their new school.

Good ,bad or indifferent, hiring a new HC is always a crap-shoot if the program hiring is in bad shape.
Even the good programs can't be assured of staying that way , when they bring in someone or hire from within to replace their HC.

We can only hope Hobbs made he right move when he chose Pikiell to lead RU MBB out of the darkness and into the light many RU MBB fans have never seen and those that did haven't seen that light in a long long time.

Anyone is better than Eddie, have to give him a fair shot.

Maybe Calhoun can play a coach role like gene keady did for Lavin At St Johns

That will become inevitable if Pik can get a turnaround done here....or at least underway and Ollie moves up. But if that happens, Pik would be beloved here regardless.
Not necessarily. He may love it there if he turns it around. BTW, there is a kid transferring out of Sacred Heart University. Averaged 23ppg as Sophomore. Cane Broome is his name. Could probably really help you guys.

Reactions: BufSldr43
I have no idea what it takes to get RU back to respectability, let alone success (2 different things).

I generally trust the AD to do their job - until proven they cannot ... I have ot believe Hobbs knows what he is doing ... and a basketball hire is definitely in his knowledge-base.

That said, here is my gut: I like the Pikiel choice a lot better than the ideas of Cluess and Hurley (I was not and am not a Hurley fan). Lonergan (or is it Longeran?) was NEVER coming to RU - that whole speculation felt a lot like the Tom Penders situation, where RU was used as a stalking horse. I have no idea why Sendek was not talked about more - or why it did not APPEAR to be a focus on him ... As a fan with litytle knowledge of what would work at RU, Sendek was my favorite. Pikiel is a LOT better than Boyle in my opinion ... I mean really ... a HIGH SCHOOL coach, and one who cheated in high school? And many of the other names thrown out by fans on this Board were ridiculous pie in the sky names. RU fans on this Board have a habit of throwing out names that have no bearing in reality (like if AnY player in the country decided to leave his current college, some RU fan brings up the name as a potential targte for RU to recruit as a transfer ... same with the coaching search).

Pikiell might not be recruiting Rhodes Scholars, but the players he does will be expected to preform in the classroom , which didn't happen during Calhoun's last years at UConn.

That's as much on the UConn administration as it was on Calhoun. I would expect that Rutgers wouldn't let the academic situation get to that point.

It's better than Jordan, but what isn't? Anyone who was being honest with themselves knew that was an abhorrent hire from the jump.

It's a solid choice. He's got recruiting connections from when he was at UConn and is used to winning at the college level. Yes, it's a step up from America East to B1G, but it's not as if big jumps haven't been successful (Army to Duke, anyone?)
Looking forward to defense and rebounding!

Sounds like a great choice! Welcome, coach, and let's get this thing turned around!

I will take my chances with a proven winner ahead of a proven loser any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Carino just updated his Pikiell article....Six year deal at an average of $1.6 million per year.

Speculation is that Shoes may stay on because they have a good relationship.

Carino likes the hire and he knows a lot more than I do about it so I'll go with his opinion. It looks like a good hire so let's get the ball rolling. If everyone stays and the 2 players still committed stay on there are two spots still opened. He must have been out recruiting as the SB coach so he has to know what is out there. Who knows, maybe he gets a kid we might not have gotten with Jordan. We can all hope.

I'm really glad this happened and that the calls I got yesterday had bad information.

I thought from the beginning that Steve Pikiell would be a really good choice for Rutgers if he was interested.

Will be interesting to see who he hires for his staff.

I'm really glad this happened and that the calls I got yesterday had bad information.

I thought from the beginning that Steve Pikiell would be a really good choice for Rutgers if he was interested.

Will be interesting to see who he hires for his staff.

@Russ Wood , he was one of the guys you mentioned in your Top 3 when I asked who you thought would be good for Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT