ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Pikiell to visit 2018 G Montez Mathis tomorrow

If you compare Mathis and Cotton, I think the staff likes Mathis more because he would commit here earlier. Also, because he would help on rebounding. They have similar skillsets at the moment. Cotton is a more precise long range shooter.

Mathis though seems like he is an outstanding kid, will be coachable, humble, and put in the work. He has a reserved demeanor, but his games he shows out. He is not all in your face, but he puts in the work and has had games this week where he has scored 28 points, 7 assist, and 8 rebounds.

I hope the kid has an outstanding career. It would be awesome if it was on the Banks of the Ol Raritan.

Pike is hot on the trail of these kids. Just needs some of these higher level players to sign on the dotted line. Get em' Pike!!

As an aside, Mathis plays for Team BBC? :flushed:

Not sure we are in the lead since it's still early in the process, but we are doing a job.

Not sure we are in the lead since it's still early in the process, but we are doing a job.
According to the write up it seems like we are leading for him. Obviously the spring and summer will bring him more offers but the way that was written hints at us being the front runner

"At minimum they set a bar for others to reach"

Rutgers is in good shape with Mathis for now but they will have to grind this one out. Five-star Immanuel Quickley is also on Team BBC. Quickly is down to a final seven but that seven is Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Miami, Providence and Virginia. They will be at all of his games this spring and summer during live periods, which means they'll also see Mathis.

If Mathis continues to play well he could start hearing from Maryland, Miami, Providence and Virginia.

My guess is that Pikiell will hop on a plane this morning, fly to Dallas, and watch Mathis today.

Rutgers is in good shape with Mathis for now but they will have to grind this one out. Five-star Immanuel Quickley is also on Team BBC. Quickly is down to a final seven but that seven is Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Miami, Providence and Virginia. They will be at all of his games this spring and summer during live periods, which means they'll also see Mathis.

If Mathis continues to play well he could start hearing from Maryland, Miami, Providence and Virginia.

My guess is that Pikiell will hop on a plane this morning, fly to Dallas, and watch Mathis today.

I don't think Mathis is Kentucky bound. Rutgers could win over Providence with their consistency. Maryland would be one if he got an offer. They have waited a long time.

I thought Rutgers was having a recruit visiting this weekend..

Get a PG and you could feel comfortable with rolling with Montez on the wing, 3 guard set.

Rebounds, drives, lengthy and defends.

Slater is a Duke beat writer. He predicted Doucure to Rutgers correctly, and is 100% on his other predictions so far. Also noteworthy is that in each case, the player committed within 48 hours at most after his prediction. Not sure that will happen here but worth noting.

Slater is a Duke beat writer. He predicted Doucure to Rutgers correctly, and is 100% on his other predictions so far. Also noteworthy is that in each case, the player committed within 48 hours at most after his prediction. Not sure that will happen here but worth noting.

I like what youre saying. This is a kid i really want. Maybe pull him big names like Reid will hop on seeing 2 4 stars on our 18 list.

Reactions: Scangg
Apparently Mathis had a huge weekend and UConn just offered him. Lot of buzz about that offer on Twitter right now. Hopefully we can close this one out because things seemed to be going really well there.

Worried more about MD than UConn. I think we can hold off UConn here. I'm concerned about MD because they have been visible enough that they can't be perveived as Johnny Come Lately's here.

(No inside info here.)

We've put in the work & Ollie is in trouble.

Worried more about MD than UConn. I think we can hold off UConn here. I'm concerned about MD because they have been visible enough that they can't be perveived as Johnny Come Lately's here.

(No inside info here.)

We've put in the work & Ollie is in trouble.

hopefully this is a case when schools who hang in there with players early, often, and the longest are rewarded, such as we are in this case...how many times have we offered, only that the player already had developed a relationship with a coach and staff...

if we can land him, along with Kiss and Baker on board--I'd feel a lot better about our wing situation...we need at least 3 strong players...

Xavier has been recruiting Mathis for a while. Ollie has been having a difficult time of late. Several players have left the program or were pushed out. This is unusual for U Conn and some seem to think Ollie might be in trouble. I don't think he is as Calhoun still speaks highly of him. Ollie did get rid of an asst. coach that Calhoun had hired and really spoke highly of. Ollie hired a former Washington assistant and brought in one new point guard that I think he had a connection to. A lot has been going on at Connecticut. Coach Pikiell has been after Mathis for a long time and has let him know how badly he wants him to come to RU. I sure hope that Mathis rewards Steve Pikiell and our assistant coaches. Loyalty is a big thing.

Kid's blowing up...Xavier just offered:

This is another classic example where schools wait for AAU events then offer scholarships to the best performers.This will be a test for Pikiell to hold off schools with higher profiles for a recruit that Rutgers really wants.

From a recruiting standpoint, UConn and Xavier are the level of teams that we should be competing against for players. Winning these kind of recruiting battles would be an indication that the ship is being righted. We can not compete in the Big Ten recruiting flawed and developmental players. Players need to arrive ready to compete in the Big Ten.

Reactions: patk89
I wouldn't expect this kid to commit anytime before the fall. He is going to make several visits.

I wouldn't expect this kid to commit anytime before the fall. He is going to make several visits.

no doubt, RU will stay on Mathis until he decides and other prospects that emerge will also flood the SG market as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT