ADVERTISEMENT

Tai Strickland

Russ, can we assume that Strickland will let the coaches know his decision so they can adjust their recruiting plans accordingly even though he may not make his decision/commitment public until the signing deadline on the 11th. It seems to ke that if he waits until the signing period to let the coaches know he is really creating some problems for the staffs that are involved.
Usually the staff finds out when the kid announces. I don't know how Tai plans to handle it.

That's why you keep recruiting other kids tho. Keep someone "warm" that you know you can get if your top target goes elsewhere.

Usually the staff finds out when the kid announces. I don't know how Tai plans to handle it.

That's why you keep recruiting other kids tho. Keep someone "warm" that you know you can get if your top target goes elsewhere.

That puts a lot of pressure on both the staffs and the kids that are being kept "warm" as you say. A staff could lose them all waiting on a decision and the other player need to make a decision before they lose their other options as well. Recruiting is such a sticky thing

Reactions: Russ Wood
If Corey stays and Strickland comes, here's how I see it.

PG - Sanders (30), Strickland (10)
SG - Baker (28), Mathis (12)
WF - Thiam (25), Kiss (13), Harper (2)
PF - Omoruyi (24), Carter (16)
C - Doucoure (18), Johnson (14), Doorson (8)

The wildcard is the 13th roster spot. I think it would need to go to a 4/5, since Doorson is a senior and both Omoruyi and Carter will be juniors. Of course, if Hyatt reclassifies to 2018, you take him in a heartbeat if he's willing to come.

I think there's going to be a dogfight for minutes at the 2/3 spots and at the 4/5 spots -- lots of competition at those positions. But I suspect a lot of it will be based on matchups. We can go big or small across all positions. This is a nice problem to have, and one we haven't had in, well, forever.

Reactions: Goku
Russ, sorry to be a peat but I have another question. A number of posts have alluded to the fact that the BIG does not guarantee the fifth year of a scholarship and that Pike could pull Doorson's ship if the right guy becomes available. I understand the logic here but do you think Pike would do that to him considering Doorson chose to stay and bought in to what Pike was selling. Somehow I think Pike isn't the kind of guy who would do that to a player who, in effect, committed to him when he needed it. The program was in disarray when coach took over and needed some signs of stability and the guys who chose to stay played a big role in getting Pike started on a good footing. I just think he is the kind of guy who would honor that. If Shaq wants to go that is different but if he wants to stay.......

The wildcard is the 13th roster spot. I think it would need to go to a 4/5, since Doorson is a senior and both Omoruyi and Carter will be juniors. Of course, if Hyatt reclassifies to 2018, you take him in a heartbeat if he's willing to come.

I think there's going to be a dogfight for minutes at the 2/3 spots and at the 4/5 spots -- lots of competition at those positions. But I suspect a lot of it will be based on matchups. We can go big or small across all positions. This is a nice problem to have, and one we haven't had in, well, forever.

Lots of "wait and see" for next year. Lots of guys suiting up for the first time might demand more minutes through their play - whether that's Mathis, Kiss, Johnson, Carter, Harper, etc. Really hoping Sanders/Strickland both end up on the court for us next year - if they do, it'll be the deepest backcourt I can remember us ever having.

Huerter is only a 4-man if Maryland goes to a small lineup. He is a natural wing

I'll give you the minutes of Fernando, Cekovsky, Obi and Tomaic combined so you can see how often Huerter (or Mickens) was a "4"
Wisconsin 60
Michigan 38
NW 42
RU 53
NEB 41
NW 43
PSU 42

I would be cool with the 13th roster spot going to someone who had to sit out a year with a lot of upside.

I think your guard #s are way out of whack. I'd move at least 5-7 minutes over from the starters to the backup.

I think it's a little more complicated than this. If Strickland comes here, I think he plays closer to 20 minutes a night. Still think Sanders will play 30 minutes a night but the minutes will be allocated all over the place with smaller lineups and sanders/strickland/geo playing off the ball at times.

I'd probably break it down something like this.

of the 200 minutes
Sanders-30
Geo-27
Strickland-17
Mathis-21
Issa-18
Kiss-9
Harper- Redshirt
Eugene- 25
Shaq C- 17
Duke- 14
Johnson- 15
Dorson- 7

I think it's a little more complicated than this. If Strickland comes here, I think he plays closer to 20 minutes a night. Still think Sanders will play 30 minutes a night but the minutes will be allocated all over the place with smaller lineups and sanders/strickland/geo playing off the ball at times.

I'd probably break it down something like this.

of the 200 minutes
Sanders-30
Geo-27
Strickland-17
Mathis-21
Issa-18
Kiss-9
Harper- Redshirt
Eugene- 25
Shaq C- 17
Duke- 14
Johnson- 15
Dorson- 7
Gonna have to edit this now strickland is gone lol

That is a repeat of dreadful offensive production. Can't have only 1.5 (issa is the .5) players on the floor who are perimeter threats... That lineup is SO easy to defend.

Russ, sorry to be a peat but I have another question. A number of posts have alluded to the fact that the BIG does not guarantee the fifth year of a scholarship and that Pike could pull Doorson's ship if the right guy becomes available. I understand the logic here but do you think Pike would do that to him considering Doorson chose to stay and bought in to what Pike was selling. Somehow I think Pike isn't the kind of guy who would do that to a player who, in effect, committed to him when he needed it. The program was in disarray when coach took over and needed some signs of stability and the guys who chose to stay played a big role in getting Pike started on a good footing. I just think he is the kind of guy who would honor that. If Shaq wants to go that is different but if he wants to stay.......
You're not being a Peat. I don't know the answer to your question about Doorson though

You're not being a Peat. I don't know the answer to your question about Doorson though

We have two, maybe three open ships depending on Sanders. After losing Strickland I highly doubt we can find four players better than Doorson to fill out the roster at this point.

I'll give you the minutes of Fernando, Cekovsky, Obi and Tomaic combined so you can see how often Huerter (or Mickens) was a "4"
Wisconsin 60
Michigan 38
NW 42
RU 53
NEB 41
NW 43
PSU 42
I stand corrected.

Jesus. No wonder Maryland fans are so mad at their coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT