ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee in Nashville, SCar in Charlotte

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
Two major programs giving up a home game to play in their NFL stadium - Tennessee hosts Virginia today in the Titans stadium in Nashville, and South Carolina hosts UNC today in the Panthers stadium in Charlotte (College Gameday is there). Both stadiums are roughly 2 hours away from home for the home teams.

My point is, these big time teams are willing to give up home games to play in “neutral” games against OOC P5 teams, but people here complain insanely about playing at Metlife, despite it probably being closer and easier to get to for a large majority of fans of RU. Big Time CFB plays in games like this

South Carolina is not giving up a home game per se. When the “rivalry” game was brought back it was brought back as a neutral site game. With the last 4 played in Charlotte.

Reactions: satnom and 17Q66
But Tennessee is not.
Didn’t know much about the Tennessee UVA matchup. That’s why I didn’t respond to that.

But. Yea it looks like UVA gave up a home game. They only have 6 home games and Tennessee still has 7.

I am a bit disappointed to see College Gameday in a city downtown rather than a small college town. Its always so cool to get a look into a campus town, they visit the local restaurant, etc show a cool part of the campus … like when they go to Boone, Morgantown, etc. Not the same in a city park.

South Carolina is not giving up a home game per se. When the “rivalry” game was brought back it was brought back as a neutral site game. With the last 4 played in Charlotte.
USC is 90 miles from the stadium, while UNC is just over 140 miles. Charlotte is just over the NC-SC state line. Heel fans don't travel well for FB. SC does. ESPN GameDay shots indicate a very strong Gamecock presence today. Should be a good game tonight.

Two major programs giving up a home game to play in their NFL stadium - Tennessee hosts Virginia today in the Titans stadium in Nashville, and South Carolina hosts UNC today in the Panthers stadium in Charlotte (College Gameday is there). Both stadiums are roughly 2 hours away from home for the home teams.

My point is, these big time teams are willing to give up home games to play in “neutral” games against OOC P5 teams, but people here complain insanely about playing at Metlife, despite it probably being closer and easier to get to for a large majority of fans of RU. Big Time CFB plays in games like this
Nice try. This is an epic fail post. Tennessee still has 7 home games at Neyland. USCe still has 7 home games in Columbia, SC. And UNC still has 7 home games in Chapel Hill. We play 7 home games at Rutgers Stadium and want to play an 8th at horrible MetLife, then ok.

Reactions: RUref and satnom
I am a bit disappointed to see College Gameday in a city downtown rather than a small college town. Its always so cool to get a look into a campus town, they visit the local restaurant, etc show a cool part of the campus … like when they go to Boone, Morgantown, etc. Not the same in a city park.
But you started this thread saying there should be more games played at neutral sites. You’re not moving a game off campus unless it’s to a metropolitan site.

Reactions: Knight Shift

If you have Spectrum you wouldn't be disappointed because you wouldn't see it.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Agree, but it's Labor Day Weekend -- if it's gotta happen like that, it's probably best that it happen when a lot of students aren't even in their dorms yet.
Several very notable exceptions: OU v steers, Army v Navy and UGA v Gators…those are never ever going to be played on campus.
I was today years old when I learned that "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" is played at a neutral site every year.

Such is my lack of interest in the SEC and the traitor states in general.

Agree, but it's Labor Day Weekend -- if it's gotta happen like that, it's probably best that it happen when a lot of students aren't even in their dorms yet.

I was today years old when I learned that "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" is played at a neutral site every year.

Such is my lack of interest in the SEC and the traitor states in general.
it’s ok…most of then don’t know or care where RU is…it all evens out

Nice try. This is an epic fail post. Tennessee still has 7 home games at Neyland. USCe still has 7 home games in Columbia, SC. And UNC still has 7 home games in Chapel Hill. We play 7 home games at Rutgers Stadium and want to play an 8th at horrible MetLife, then ok.
I’m all in for RU playing at a MetLife Stadium in the B1G Championship game against USC in 2025.

Forget Army.. Notre Dame only if we get the larger cut from concessions and parking.😜 so that is one sure reason it won’t happen . I actually would prefer we play Alabama again in MetLife. This time we win 45-42 on a last second 38 yard field goal.

We’ve filled Metlife maybe 60-70% before for Army. If we hosted an SEC team there like Auburn, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, it would sell out.

rutgersplay.jpg

Play an 8th game at MetLife Stadium, but you wouldn't want to take away a home game to play at a neutral site.

And it is not like we filled up the Linc for the last Temple game, they didn't even need to open up the upper deck. If that had been Tennessee traveling across a river to play another program the stadium would have been full, we honestly don't travel as well as some think we do.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Play an 8th game at MetLife Stadium, but you wouldn't want to take away a home game to play at a neutral site.
That’s the only way I’m good with it…money (lots of it) and not giving up a home game.

8 games in NJ + big fat check = not bad

Reactions: Leonard23
Problem is we won’t get the fat paycheck … unless the conference forces the issue. As I said earlier … some bad memories for this aluminum eyesore.

Reactions: Leonard23
It was mentioned the physical stature and improvements for Gavin. Would like him for 2 more years after 2023. Maybe 6’3” 235 lbs. by then.

Problem is we won’t get the fat paycheck … unless the conference forces the issue. As I said earlier … some bad memories for this aluminum eyesore.
Not sure what you mean here?

Meaning you won’t get the concessions, parking and all the things we get with a home game.

And it is not like we filled up the Linc for the last Temple game, they didn't even need to open up the upper deck. If that had been Tennessee traveling across a river to play another program the stadium would have been full, we honestly don't travel as well as some think we do.
Not comparing us to Tennessee a perennial ranked program with a 100,000+ seat stadium just yet, but saying moreso down the future if we want to move into that upper echelon. For now, a good comparison will be Indiana’s attendance in their rivalry game with Louisville football this year which is being played in Lucas Oil stadium in Indy

Meaning you won’t get the concessions, parking and all the things we get with a home game.
But it won’t be a home game in this scenario. Just an extra one in NJ.

We aren’t giving anything up.

But it won’t be a home game in this scenario. Just an extra one in NJ.

We aren’t giving anything up.
It’s therefore no advantage to Rutgers….that is the problem. Even the SEC teams play some lesser opponents Yearly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT