ADVERTISEMENT

The awesome possibility of being 4-0 going into the week in 2015

Originally posted by PSUPALY:
Originally posted by Yeah Baby:
Last year PSU shut down our run game and were on Nova in 1.5 seconds the whole second half. That was at home. It will be very important to run the ball and give our new QB time to find our potent WR's. We have the skill set we just need the OL to gel in time for this game. I believe our QB will do just fine if we do those things.

On the other side, we played very well on D outside of that last possession where we just fell apart. I don't know if we can duplicate that effort.

This is a very tough game for us to win but not impossible based on what we know today.....which is very little.

PSU guy above - you graduate your Mike and your DT (#98) that killed us last year right? What about the DE (#18) that seemed to have our snap count the whole second half? I though he was going to take the snap a couple of times.
On defense, we lost our Mike (M Hull), CB (A Amos), and 3 DEs (D Barnes, C Olaniyan, B Bars). We lost 2 walk-on safeties that were replaced by freshmen by the end of the season. We didn't lose DT #98, A Zettel...he's back. maybe you're thinking #88, DT T Smith. he was a walk-on who served as a back-up.
I was thinking about Zettel. He killed us. I watched one other PSU game (think it was OSU) and he was disruptive in that game as well. Nice player.

3-1 start.

@ Happy Valley is a loss, although I would love nothing more to see you guys win up there. That would be awesome to watch the PSU fanbase reaction.

I'm with VKJ on this one...there is always reason for some concern when you have a brand new, young QB. But to question why the kid didn't play as a true freshman, is just stupid as hell.

PSU fans also got lucky last year. The fact that they pulled out the win allowed them to hide their heads in the clouds for at least another year and claim we are not a rival nor do they care much about us. IF they had lost that game, finished 2 games behind us and did not make a bowl...they would be very concerned and our game in Happy Valley would become the game they most want to win.

Going back to our start...I do worry a little because of the QB, 3 OL, TE and FB situation but I also think our D will be very much improved. PSU needs to find a running game and better hope the OL is much improved.
WSU can be such a "wildcard" game. If we happen to come out flat footed, they could possibly surprise us. I expect to win but it is always a little scary so early in the season.
I also look and still get excited about these schedules like never before. We are starting the season with 3 of 4 games being P5 opponents. Forget about the total of all the storied schools we will play, we just go start to finish with an exciting schedule.

Yeah except VKJ is incorrect. Rettig was not even a RS Freshman at LSU. He was a True Freshman who was redshirting. That is a big difference, especially for us. He has 3 to play 3 for us. If he were a RS Freshman at LSU and then sat out last year he would only have 2 to play 2.

Yeah except VKJ is incorrect. Rettig was not even a RS Freshman at LSU. He was a True Freshman who was redshirting. That is a big difference, especially for us. He has 3 to play 3 for us. If he were a RS Freshman at LSU and then sat out last year he would only have 2 to play 2.
And let's not forget he left because LSU was changing to more of a spread offense.

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:

And let's not forget he left because LSU was changing to more of a spread offense.
Maybe but he also lost out twice to true frosh for the primary backup spot to the LSU starting QBs. First to Jennings, who was the backup to Mettenberger and then he lost out to Brandon Jennings who was backing up Jennings.

He knew if he wanted to play, he had to transfer. He actually was the 2nd QB to transfer out of LSU that year due to playing time issues.
This post was edited on 3/20 9:44 AM by Ty Webb

Both Rutgers and PSU are going to need solid oline play to win. It is probably both teams weakest area. Whoever figures it out first wins. If neither figures it out both QBs are going to be on their backs a lot.

Originally posted by Ty Webb:

Maybe but he also lost out twice to true frosh for the primary backup spot to the LSU starting QBs. First to Jennings, who was the backup to Mettenberger and then he lost out to Brandon Jennings who was backing up Jennings.

He knew if he wanted to play, he had to transfer. He actually was the 2nd QB to transfer out of LSU that year due to playing time issues.
Are you saying they had 3 True Freshmen QB's that season? That sounds like a lot.

Are you saying they had 3 True Freshmen QB's that season? That sounds like a lot.
No. He lost out to true frosh two years in a row. Jennings was a backup to Mettenberger in 2013. Then Mettenberger left, Jennings was the starter in 2014 and Rettig lost the backup job to Brandon Harris, another true frosh, in 2014.

At least, that's my understanding.

Don't you love having this ND Puke posting here to put down our players?

Rettig was here in 2014.
Rettig transferred in June of 2014 after losing the backup to Harris in spring ball of 2014. Harris was an early enrollee in Jan of 2014.

And for DJ Spanky, it's not putting your player down. Frankly, I think the kid is a step up for you guys at QB and was a big transfer for you to land. Never liked Nova, etc.

Last year Anthony Zettell shut down our run game. Killed us at 275 lbs.He has got to be dealt with or we will have running difficulties again.That will be on Browning and the O Linemen.

We'll be as a good as our QB. If he's good, our running backs will be unstoppable, I'm talking in the fashion of the running games at Wisky and Nebraska last year.
If he's not good and defenses can sell out to stop the run, we will suffer the consequences.

Lots to be considered I understand, you need good O Line play, but IMO, it's the QB that will make the O Line look good in our case.

Originally posted by zappaa:

We'll be as a good as our QB. If he's good, our running backs will be unstoppable, I'm talking in the fashion of the running games at Wisky and Nebraska last year.
Actually zap, I'm just as worried about how our O Line will gel with 3 new starters, particularly a new Center. Both have to be productive for the offense to be successful.

I agree Spanky, I'm going out on a limb thinking Cole, Denmen and Miller will be very good players...figure O Lines turnover all the time, at some point our program has to produce replacements as good or better than the guys leaving, why not this year

Rettig was here in 2014.
Rettig transferred in June of 2014 after losing the backup to Harris in spring ball of 2014. Harris was an early enrollee in Jan of 2014.

And for DJ Spanky, it's not putting your player down. Frankly, I think the kid is a step up for you guys at QB and was a big transfer for you to land. Never liked Nova, etc.
One more question and then you can leave our board because Spanky is right about you. Are both of these kids dual threats? From what I saw LSU was running more of a spread than a pro style last year. Kind of OSU looking to me. Seems to me if that is the case Rettig did not get beat out. Looks more like a change in philosophy and that is why he chose to come to RU. I will say the starter Jennings looked like a fine athlete.

Spanky and Zap - agree with you guys on all accounts but it is not just the QB as we all know. Hell, Wisconsin ran all over everyone and their QB was not great (but did get better late in the year). The OL is key to me. Run on every team like we ran on MD and UNC and we will be in business. Of course, Nova being laser sharp certainly opened up the run game.

One more question and then you can leave our board because Spanky is right about you. Are both of these kids dual threats? From what I saw LSU was running more of a spread than a pro style last year. Kind of OSU looking to me. Seems to me if that is the case Rettig did not get beat out. Looks more like a change in philosophy and that is why he chose to come to RU. I will say the starter Jennings looked like a fine athlete.
Don't ask it a question: don't you know that board policy is to not feed the trolls?
icon_mrgreen_zps1e660791.gif
It's documented that last spring LSU definitely ditched their pro-set, which catapulted Rettig down the depth chart. But that won't stop trollie here from taking his swipes at our players.

Why do people keep saying 3 new players on the Oline. At most it is two. Denman played a ton last year. And also both Miller and Nelson have been practicing with the team for 3 year. These are guys very familiar with our system.

Don't ask it a question: don't you know that board policy is to not feed the trolls?
ec
It's documented that last spring LSU definitely ditched their pro-set, which catapulted Rettig down the depth chart. But that won't stop trollie here from taking his swipes at our players.
Yes........ calling Rettig the best QB that RU has probably had in recent years is taking a swipe at him. He's exactly the type of QB talent that RU needs to try to make the jump to that next level. Great point.

This post was edited on 3/25 10:09 AM by Ty Webb

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT