ADVERTISEMENT

The awesome possibility of being 4-0 going into the week in 2015

MikeRU1766

Junior
Mar 7, 2015
The 2015 schedule has a pretty favorable start to the season for Rutgers. Granted I know we will be starting an inexperienced quarterback so we could easily lose a couple of these games, but I am just talking best case scenario here. To go 4-0 we would need to win the following games...

Norfolk State @ HPSS
Washington State @ HPSS
@ Penn State
Kansas @ HPSS

So essentially 3 homes games against teams that we should beat and then of course the huge rivalry game (and revenge game after last year's heartbreaker) against Penn State. I literally can't wait for the date to be released of that game because I will be clearing my entire schedule for that one. I still can taste the disappointment from last season where we DOMINATED the game, but Nova just had a VERY off night and threw 5 INT's hich was just too much to overcome as hard and as well as we played. And as a side note I am NOT a Gary Nova hater; he more than made up for this game this season where he was solid in all of our wins and spectacular in a couple of them ( @ Washington State and the Michigan game which I was at and it was special). I think people are going to be in for a bit of an awakening this season when we start an inexperienced QB and they are going to realize that Gary Nova was a lot better than they remember.
Anyway, here's to a 4-0 start to the 2015 going into the bye week and then home at HPSS against a hopefully ranked Michigan State squad!

Originally posted by MikeRU1766:
The 2015 schedule has a pretty favorable start to the season for Rutgers. Granted I know we will be starting an inexperienced quarterback so we could easily lose a couple of these games, but I am just talking best case scenario here. To go 4-0 we would need to win the following games...

Norfolk State @ HPSS
Washington State @ HPSS
@ Penn State
Kansas @ HPSS

So essentially 3 homes games against teams that we should beat and then of course the huge rivalry game (and revenge game after last year's heartbreaker) against Penn State. I literally can't wait for the date to be released of that game because I will be clearing my entire schedule for that one. I still can taste the disappointment from last season where we DOMINATED the game, but Nova just had a VERY off night and threw 5 INT's hich was just too much to overcome as hard and as well as we played. And as a side note I am NOT a Gary Nova hater; he more than made up for this game this season where he was solid in all of our wins and spectacular in a couple of them ( @ Washington State and the Michigan game which I was at and it was special). I think people are going to be in for a bit of an awakening this season when we start an inexperienced QB and they are going to realize that Gary Nova was a lot better than they remember.
Anyway, here's to a 4-0 start to the 2015 going into the bye week and then home at HPSS against a hopefully ranked Michigan State squad!
Certainy could happen. Its alot like last year, where there is going to be a pretty fine line between 4 wins and say 8 wins, and the team might end up with four and not be meaningfully worse than the one that could have had 8.

Wrong board.
wink.r191677.gif

Seriously, I think it is too soon to tell how it will play out. I would not be surprised if we have some warts in the first 3 games as we work with new players on the OL and Rettig or Laviano or Rescigno get their game experience. I hope we have the kinks worked out by the third game. I hope that PSU still has OL problems and our more experienced defense causes headaches for Hack. On paper, however, I share your enthusiasm for a strong start.

WSU and PSY are essentially toss ups. We'll probably be slightly favored vs WSU and slight dogs at PSU. We'll probably be 6 or 7 pt favorites vs Kansas.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

New OC, New QB, New OL, New FB...... we can't get too far ahead of ourselves here!!!

Starting a new QB on the road at Penn St with them having Hack back will be a formidable challenge, this is not a toss up, I'm guessing Penn St will open around a 10 point favorite, unless something crazy happens in the weeks leading up to this game (like Hack getting injured). RU will need to run the ball , eat clock and keep Hack on the sidelines.

Originally posted by Abro1975:
Starting a new QB on the road at Penn St with them having Hack back will be a formidable challenge, this is not a toss up, I'm guessing Penn St will open around a 10 point favorite, unless something crazy happens in the weeks leading up to this game (like Hack getting injured). RU will need to run the ball , eat clock and keep Hack on the sidelines.
they might open a 10 point favorite, but it will be like WSU being a 10 point underdog to WSU last year - based basically on a lack of knowledge of either team.

Almost a zero chance of them opening up a 10 point favorite. Their O line will still be a major issue and they are hoping a kid who barely got on the field at Stanford will anchor their line.

MikeRU

The game DATES for the entire season is 100% known

Penn State is Sept 19

What is unknown is the start times

"Huge rivalry" is overstating it quite a bit. Can we beat them a couple of times first? Plus, it's hard to consider it a rivalry when the other team doesn't give a crap about you though it would kill them to lose to us. Of course, they would just just come up with excuses if they lost.

Originally posted by Rutgers85:

"Huge rivalry" is overstating it quite a bit. Can we beat them a couple of times first? Plus, it's hard to consider it a rivalry when the other team doesn't give a crap about you though it would kill them to lose to us. Of course, they would just just come up with excuses if they lost.
Hahaha. Lets put it this way

If they lost to a 7-5 type Minnesota, do you think they would really care, beyond not liking to lose. If they lose to us, despite us "not being their rival", they will care alot.

I need to see what news comes out of spring/summer camps about injuries etc before i can say will be favored in games but i agree we should beat wsu/kansas, don't think we beat psu at there place.

i think with Washington State and Penn State, the home teams are the leans to be favorite so be careful just assuming RU is going to win both. RU should win at home vs Washington State but no guarantee, Penn State should win at home but no guarantee. Kansas and Norfolk State look like probable wins but we can be 2-2, 3-1 or 4-0 in the first 4 with the 50% shot being 3-1

Rivalries, I think, can be more than the most obvious ones about parity. Certainly, instate schools have an almost automatic dislike for each other irrespective of the wins and losses. I distinctly remember a Kansas State fan telling me at the Texas Bowl game, "we are NOT Kansas!".

PSU fans hate just about everybody it seems, but they really dislike Rutgers. I put this is the RU/Syracuse kind of thing. Even though they pretty much owned us in football until Schiano got things turned around, there was still deep hatred on both sides and that is a rivalry.

As for going undefeated in the first four games. I think we just have way too many questions to feel anything but to very cautious on expecting too much. The one thing I think will be our offensive weapon is the running game with the guys we already have in place. If our line can make some holes, I don't think you will see us throwing too much.

I wonder why starting an inexperienced quarterback will make us think Nova was better than he was. He could be terrific, he could be terrible. That's what he was. In fact, one could argue in his bad games he LOOKED like an inexperienced quarterback, so I really don't see how that's going to change anything.

I was thinking when Nova was starting out how good it made Bert Kosup look to me.

Whoever takes over will have growing pains, but I look forward to watching him regardless.

This ^^^^

IF PSU can straighten out their OL issues they may be looking at a 9-3 season. They'll probably be as good on D as last year with a chance to be much better on O. They have a very favorable schedule, especially considering their weak OOC.

That is a possibility - again, like last season, I wish we were playing TTFP later in the season. However, given their lack of depth, and their uncertainty once again on their OL, it is a winnable game. Face it: it took 5 interceptions (and they were all not GN's fault) for them to beat us by 3 points last year.
Originally posted by CERU00:
Why stop at 4? Why not go into full Al mode and predict an undefeated season?
Because the 1st 4 games are all winnable. The next 6 (MSU, @Indy, OSU, @Wisc, @UM, Neb), like games 6-11 last season (UM, @OSU, @Neb, Wisc, Indy, @MSU), are all extremely tough games outside of Indiana. Jesus, why do you have to be such a douche to someone being enthusiastic about the start of next season?
This post was edited on 3/18 1:57 PM by DJ Spanky

Originally posted by derleider:

If they lost to a 7-5 type Minnesota, do you think they would really care, beyond not liking to lose. If they lose to us, despite us "not being their rival", they will care alot.
No they won't. Not one bit. I'm surrounded by PSU fans and alum. Rutgers is barely on their radar in PA. The only Penn State fans that would care are those that are living in NJ and live near someone on this board who rant over and over about Ped State.

I think that Washington State comes in here pissed-off.
ttfp may act like they don't care but many cult members would have to go on suicide watch if they lost to us.
If we lose to Norfolk State "I" would have to go onto a suicide watch.
I don't know a thing about Kansas.

I say to hell with television and make the Washington State game 11AM ET. See how those Cougars like playing on east coast time.

Originally posted by vkj91:

Almost a zero chance of them opening up a 10 point favorite. Their O line will still be a major issue and they are hoping a kid who barely got on the field at Stanford will anchor their line.
I think they also brought in a top juco RT.

What kind of silly comment is this CERU00? The first 4 games are all very winnable while the rest of the season has many game where we will be pretty big underdogs. That is why I said "best case scenario" we could start the season 4-0.

Bingo!

Remember,
Kids in Kindergarten through Eighth grade can get FREE tickets for the Norfolk State,Washington State, Kansas, and Maryland games. Call Rob Szeluga at 732-907-1575 or dbean@scarletknights.com at Rutgers.

Originally posted by WhiteBus:

No they won't. Not one bit. I'm surrounded by PSU fans and alum. Rutgers is barely on their radar in PA. The only Penn State fans that would care are those that are living in NJ and live near someone on this board who rant over and over about Ped State.
I would care a ton but I am probably in the minority...and I live in Ohio.

The comment about Reihner (Stanford kid) is not far off. It would allow Mangiro to move to his natural position of T and force the weakest link to become a backup. It could also allow one of the two kids who flipped from to DL to OL last year to flip back (most likely Gaia). That being said, I think our OL becoming average would be huge for Hack, the RBs and the WRs.

The juco kid is Paris Palmer. Ideally, he takes over for Donovan Smith.

The o-line should improve. The online is returning 4 starters and the kid from Stanford would have to replace a current starter. I would rather be hoping a transfer replaces a current starter then hoping a kid who barely saw the field at LSU can be starter.

I was at the RU .vs Penn State game at High Point Solutions Stadium and it sure seemed like the Penn State fans cared about the outcome of that game.

Of course they did. But it wouldn't have the end of the world if they lost. Besides they had a vested interest in the game, they bought tickets.

For non NJ PSU fans Rutgers isn't the focus as many on here want to believe.

Funny thing is PSU fans are obsessed with Ohio State and OSU fans don't give a crap about them.

Originally posted by PSU_Nut:

The o-line should improve. The online is returning 4 starters and the kid from Stanford would have to replace a current starter. I would rather be hoping a transfer replaces a current starter then hoping a kid who barely saw the field at LSU can be starter.
Yea, super concerned a kid didn't see his field during his RS freshman year.

WSU will not be a toss up game.
Expect RU to be favorite by at least 10 points.

I think it is a pretty realistic concern anytime you have a QB who has never played in a real college game. Especially on the road in what tends to be a pretty hostile environment.

Then again, Cardale Jones didn't think so.

Last year PSU shut down our run game and were on Nova in 1.5 seconds the whole second half. That was at home. It will be very important to run the ball and give our new QB time to find our potent WR's. We have the skill set we just need the OL to gel in time for this game. I believe our QB will do just fine if we do those things.

On the other side, we played very well on D outside of that last possession where we just fell apart. I don't know if we can duplicate that effort.

This is a very tough game for us to win but not impossible based on what we know today.....which is very little.

PSU guy above - you graduate your Mike and your DT (#98) that killed us last year right? What about the DE (#18) that seemed to have our snap count the whole second half? I though he was going to take the snap a couple of times.

That would be Dieon Barnes I believe who was a senior so he will be gone as well for the game next season.

Note to Flood. If you have the lead at the end. Prevent defense (rushing 3) with Turay on the sidelines. Not good. Bad idea.

Keep him in the game.

If you have any doubts watch the end of the TTFP game again.

TIA

Originally posted by Yeah Baby:
Last year PSU shut down our run game and were on Nova in 1.5 seconds the whole second half. That was at home. It will be very important to run the ball and give our new QB time to find our potent WR's. We have the skill set we just need the OL to gel in time for this game. I believe our QB will do just fine if we do those things.

On the other side, we played very well on D outside of that last possession where we just fell apart. I don't know if we can duplicate that effort.

This is a very tough game for us to win but not impossible based on what we know today.....which is very little.

PSU guy above - you graduate your Mike and your DT (#98) that killed us last year right? What about the DE (#18) that seemed to have our snap count the whole second half? I though he was going to take the snap a couple of times.
On defense, we lost our Mike (M Hull), CB (A Amos), and 3 DEs (D Barnes, C Olaniyan, B Bars). We lost 2 walk-on safeties that were replaced by freshmen by the end of the season. We didn't lose DT #98, A Zettel...he's back. maybe you're thinking #88, DT T Smith. he was a walk-on who served as a back-up.

Is it me or do the same posters cry "the sky is falling" whenever someone predicts Rutgers to have a good season again? I hear the cries, but I seldom see anything to backup their reasons. I believe Rutgers has a very good chance to repeat another 7-5 record again in the B1G, but I give you some reasons why. Now, let's remember Rutgers success or lack of isn't based just on Rutgers, but how Rutgers match up against opponents, personnel from both teams, coaching, injuries, etc.

Here's my take on the the 2 challenging games (WSU & PSU):

Washington State- Lost their receivers coach and the DC was fired. How does that compare to Rutgers losing Fridge? Well, Fridge's replacement was on the staff and taking part in planning for the games (playcalling 3rd downs). Maybe it wasn't public knowledge, but it appears to be a move to prepare for someone's departure just in case. Anyway, Wazzu continues to be a paper tiger. QB Halliday was the team. He set the stage for their success (or lack of). Once he went down rFr. Luke Falk took over. He was hot or super cold. His completion %, attempts, rating was similar to Halliday, but when Falk crapped his pants it was bad. Falk was basically 1 for 1 TD to INT ratio. Wazzu is basically in the same boat as Rutgers went it comes to the QB position. In the two starts for Falk, he targeted to Srs. receivers Vince Mayle and Ricky Gavin 75%. Guys like Cracraft and Dom Williams were the next best receivers and they combined had half the receptions of Mayle and Gavin. Falk is a system guy who will be without his 2 biggest safety nets in 2015. Without a running game it only adds to the problem. I haven't even talked about their offensive line or defense. Their OL actually got worse as the season went on. The defense had it's moments, but when teams decided to run it, Wazzu had no answer. Rutgers has to answer questions on their OL, but that was similar to what they had to do in the opening game against Wazzu. Rutgers ended up running for over 200 yards. This year Rutgers has at least 3 linemen with experience, but a boat load of really talented backs who actually can make linemen look better due to how they set up the blocks. Wazzu defense can't stop the pass and Carroo and Co. are back. Rutgers doesn't need its QB to pass for 400 yards. If the running game matches last year performance, then Laviano or Rettig has only to manage a game while throwing to an experience set of receivers.

Penn State- On paper PSU should be more explosive on offense due to Hackenberg and the receivers, but we saw Hackenberg get worse as the season went on. His story could be another Savage story where a good QB becomes a shell of himself due to a bad OL. Hackenberg, like Savage, doesn't have a solid running game to lean on, so it makes his arm to most important thing in State College this year. And let's not forget Hackenberg lost his safety net in TE Jesse James. I do think their offense will be better, but I think the difference in game for 2015 will be PSU defense. There are several missing bodies from that unit and they are not easily replaced. Even though PSU will have a full scholarship load, depth is still an issue. They took some hits on the DL, but the loss of MLB Mike Hull will have a huge impact especially on the 2 OLB. Hull made them better. PSU secondary wasn't good and now they face quality and quantity issues

Overall, if Rutgers can execute a game plan (all game this time), I see them with more than a good chance of winning both. Rutgers matches up well along the lines, but now have a ton of talent at the skill positions where they can win game.

Originally posted by kjb32812:

I think it is a pretty realistic concern anytime you have a QB who has never played in a real college game. Especially on the road in what tends to be a pretty hostile environment.

Then again, Cardale Jones didn't think so.
no doubt it's always a concern when your QB is new. However, that doesn't make his comment about him not seeing the field as a true freshman any less stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT