ADVERTISEMENT

The Myles Johnson Thread

Yesterday he had such a nice pass after a rebound underneath the basket and kicked it out to the baseline for a wide open 3!

You don't see that very often. Just a very nice play!!!

Yesterday he had such a nice pass after a rebound underneath the basket and kicked it out to the baseline for a wide open 3!

You don't see that very often. Just a very nice play!!!

Thats a good point. Our bigs haven't forced things so far. When they get doubled they get rid of the ball quickly to an open man. Both Myles and Eugene have done this so far. Very good to see, "share the game".

So far I am wrong and want to continue to be wrong here. When Myles was redshirted I wrote him off as being more than a minor role player.

So far I am wrong and want to continue to be wrong here. When Myles was redshirted I wrote him off as being no more than a minor role player.

Assume you missed a "no" there. You weren't alone. I thought it, but I tend to never say anything about a player before I've seen him, live (sometimes on tape, if the tape is complete enough), as it's way too easy to get fooled.

Assume you missed a "no" there. You weren't alone. I thought it, but I tend to never say anything about a player before I've seen him, live (sometimes on tape, if the tape is complete enough), as it's way too easy to get fooled.

Ooops. You are correct. I love being wrong.....until i turn positive.

Reactions: knightfan7
For Doorson....saving many fouls moving forward. Rodman blocks Jordan....Jordan retaliates by destroying Detroit.

Better than Gregory Echenique?

Good comparison, Huey. Echenique was very athletic and an all-around player. Wasn't he about 6'9 250? Think he was 8 and 8 as a freshman and was scoring well in the first few games as a soph before suffering an eye injury. For some inexplicable reason--maybe it was Fred Hill Jr being Fred Hill Jr--Coach Fred Hill jr went completely off him at that point, even telling the press he could not remember which eye Greg had injured. Meant he would transfer. Fred Hill Jr had a very short list of favorites.
The likes of Greg Echenique and JR Inman were to be barely tolerated, and misused.

But there are some good comparisons in Echenique's and Johnson's skill sets. With the coaching staff we have, Johnson will be a fine player. Apparently, Pikiell was not just employing hyperbole when he said Johnson looked like the best big man we had in practice, but was being honest.
TL

I too am enthused about Johnson. But I want to wait a few games before I dub him the next Hinson. Remember Alvydys Tenys?
---
Tenys's best game was his first, IMO....I think the game went to overtime and we won....anyway, he looked really good kicking the ball out for others to score.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Well, after a very promising start, Johnson has mostly struggled, with his biggest issue, IMO, being that he often plays too tentatively. Today was his best game in weeks and the best part was his intensity, going up strong for rebounds and putbacks and having a couple of nice dunks. First double-double of his career and I think we'll see some more. Let's hope he can play more like this the rest of the season.

Best game of the year for Myles tonight: 13/11 with 4 assists, 2 blocks and 1 steal! Kid's got a really high ceiling with his size and athleticism and nice touch, at times. Needs to improve his FT shooting, if possible, since he'll be able to get to the line a lot as he matures. Can't wait to see him grow as a player and a leader.

Kid deserves his own thread. Pike looks like a genius redshirting him last year, as he's now ready. Ready to grow into the best big man we've had on the Banks in at least 20 years, if not since Hinson. Maybe a little early for such a bold prediction, as I'm sure he'll have some clunkers as a youngster and may struggle against better competition, but at the very least, he's going to be a very good one and certainly better than most of the big men we've had in the lean years since Waters. Love his potential.

As I said in my RAC thread last night, kid has nice post moves, good footwork on defense, can pass the ball and is athletic enough to block shots and defend. Look at his line: 4 points, 5 boards, 3 assists, 3 blocks, and 2 steals in 20 minutes. Impressive, even for a game against an outmatched FDU. And he was on the Dean's list last year.
Very good post numbers. I love, love, love this kid. He is developing beautifully. He has a real understanding of his role and he has terrific moves under the basket. He is not only a threat on offense but on defense.

I called out Myles as "stepping up" earlier this year.
If he performs like he did tonight...all year
he will be my NEW fav freshman(okok,,he did sit out but...)

:cool2:[jumpingsmile]:cool2:[jumpingsmile][banana]MYLES "LONG BEACH" JOHNSON[banana][jumpingsmile]:cool2:[jumpingsmile]:cool2:
[roll][jumpingsmile][roll][jumpingsmile][roll][jumpingsmile][roll][jumpingsmile][roll][jumpingsmile][roll][jumpingsmile][roll][jumpingsmile][roll][jumpingsmile]

I knew these type of games would happen. He has a make up that will allow him to effect games greatly.

Great for Johnson!

Last edited:
watching the replay yesterday he also got his fingertips on a critical miss by Nebby I think at either 67 all or 69-67 that pushed the ball into Kiss hands, if not Nebby might have had an easy lay in off their miss. He did so much in that game. It has to be an incredible confidence boost going forward, we saw that with Mathis earlier in the season and then he took off.

my player of the game tonight....9 of last 14 points, a few rebounds and monster block all in the last few minutes
Me too, even though Mathis's game may have been more visible and especially given how much of a breakout game it was. Clearly our new guys - especially Mathis and Johnson and Harper/Carter to a lesser extent (and Caleb too, but he's being asked to do less) are learning, growing, and improving, overall, although it's not always a linear process that makes the fans happy. The future with the new talent coming in is certainly getting brighter.

Myles and other inside players will benefit from a pass first point guard like Mulcahy. Looking forward to Myles play going forward.

Kid deserves his own thread. Pike looks like a genius redshirting him last year, as he's now ready. Ready to grow into the best big man we've had on the Banks in at least 20 years, if not since Hinson. Maybe a little early for such a bold prediction, as I'm sure he'll have some clunkers as a youngster and may struggle against better competition, but at the very least, he's going to be a very good one and certainly better than most of the big men we've had in the lean years since Waters. Love his potential.

As I said in my RAC thread last night, kid has nice post moves, good footwork on defense, can pass the ball and is athletic enough to block shots and defend. Look at his line: 4 points, 5 boards, 3 assists, 3 blocks, and 2 steals in 20 minutes. Impressive, even for a game against an outmatched FDU. And he was on the Dean's list last year.

Feeling pretty good about my post after game 1 last year. Myles continues to grow and by the end of this season could be averaging a double-double - if he can stay out of foul trouble, like today. Love this kid.

Reactions: RUonBrain
the key with Myles is getting his confidence level up..well more like aggressiveness level, he is more than capable. Little by little he is learning that. Starting to finish on the offensive end and is an absolute monster on the boards and we need everyone one of those

Reactions: RUonBrain
The key was Jay Young finding him and keeping him away from Georgia Tech and others....perplexing scouting reports around the AAU circuit when RU signed him came from some folks asking, "why did RU offer him, he'd be lucky to play at Pacific or Cal State Fullerton ".....guess they were drastically wrong.

Myles has made a big leap this year and I know Coach Young had a major hand in that...is it time to give a shout out to Coach Hayn who seems to be facilitating the Myles progress just fine.

Johnson is the most NBA ready player on the team. He's much better when he commit to his post move than when he figures it out while he's doing it.

I think Tenys was the first seven-footer to play for RU.

Reactions: RU848789
I'm also a big Myles fan. I thought he'd have a tough time against Gill and the other big man on SHU, since I didn't think Myles was quite ready yet given his fouling and inexperience, but man was I wrong! So, this game changed the expectations for the season and Myles is a huge reason. Even though SHU was not at full strength, the way Myles, in particular, and the rest of the team played, convinces me that we can now compete with anyone in the B10, Michigan, Purdue, MSU and the rest. Myles is the difference.

You can't teach 7'7" wingspan. This team overall has a lot of length defensively. I think he has that Shaq problems on free throws, the ball is small for his hands, he has been getting better recently.

He also had two great assists to Harper, including the first alley-oop that set the tone for the afternoon.

He was in a zone the whole game.

When he’s confident he’s dominant.

Reactions: ruready07
I'm just so pumped we still have Myles for two more season. I truly believe he has legit NBA potential with his size!

Side note, Imagine having Myles & Cliff Omoruyi next year with all the talented guards + Harper around them!

That was my comment in the Omoruyi thread - he has to see how he's the missing piece in a serious NCAA tourney team. We have good pieces almost everywhere else.

Johnson is the most NBA ready player on the team. He's much better when he commit to his post move than when he figures it out while he's doing it.

I think Tenys was the first seven-footer to play for RU.
Nope, Rudy Mann in the late 70’s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT