ADVERTISEMENT

The Next Two Years are Free

You're of course correct. You remind me of another cliche with truth: "He can take his'n and beat your'n, or take your'n and beat his'n." The remark is said to be by Bum Phillips about Don Shula, but it may be older than that.
You can debate if talent or coaching matters more--although the fact that it's a team sport strongly suggests coaching, players need to work together well--but you can't debate that coaching really matters and that some exceptional coaches can go very far with talent that isn't exceptional. Brian Kelly coming in to the Big East and mopping the floor with everyone with a program nobody could ever claim got elite talent is a perfect example.

You can debate if talent or coaching matters more--although the fact that it's a team sport strongly suggests coaching, players need to work together well--but you can't debate that coaching really matters and that some exceptional coaches can go very far with talent that isn't exceptional. Brian Kelly coming in to the Big East and mopping the floor with everyone with a program nobody could ever claim got elite talent is a perfect example.
I think the saying about "it's not the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmy's and the Joes" has to do with scheme. And of course scheme is important. But even more important is player development -- physically, mentally, and emotionally (for instance, just as you say, the ability to work with teammates).

I think the saying about "it's not the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmy's and the Joes" has to do with scheme. And of course scheme is important. But even more important is player development -- physically, mentally, and emotionally (for instance, just as you say, the ability to work with teammates).
I'd say scheme is at least as important as player development, but both go back to coaching. How many coaches, like talent agents, recruit people with natural talent only to do the wrong things with them and ruin their potential?

In college talent matters more because talent levels are almost never equivalent. When talent levels are equivalent, coaching is a differentiator. The NFL for the most part has parity, thx to the draft, where the worst teams draft first. Rutgers still has a ways to go to eliminate the talent gap. And the gulf between Rutgers and Ohio State is much larger than the gulf between Texas A&M and Alabama.

That’s why I’ve said it will take an additional two years to eliminate the talent gap with most Big Ten teams.

In college talent matters more because talent levels are almost never equivalent. When talent levels are equivalent, coaching is a differentiator. The NFL for the most part has parity, thx to the draft, where the worst teams draft first. Rutgers still has a ways to go to eliminate the talent gap. And the gulf between Rutgers and Ohio State is much larger than the gulf between Texas A&M and Alabama.

That’s why I’ve said it will take an additional two years to eliminate the talent gap with most Big Ten teams.
With respect, I'm not sure your reasoning is entirely valid. Yes, the talent gap is a big problem. But when it's eliminated, as we all hope it will be, then the quality of coaching will be important in determining how well we do. In other words, good recuitment, although absolutely essential, will not by itself make us successful.

Actually, the talent gap makes coaching even more important. The only way to be competitive when your talent is weaker is coaching.

With respect, I'm not sure your reasoning is entirely valid. Yes, the talent gap is a big problem. But when it's eliminated, as we all hope it will be, then the quality of coaching will be important in determining how well we do. In other words, good recuitment, although absolutely essential, will not by itself make us successful.

What you typed agrees with what I posted. In the NFL, there is parity, but coaching makes a difference. When Rutgers eliminates most of the talent gap, the coaching gap, if there is any, will remain.

Actually, the talent gap makes coaching even more important. The only way to be competitive when your talent is weaker is coaching.

Our coaching is as its strong as it’s ever going to be. We’ve got strong Coordinators, an NFL OLine Coach, and experienced coaches across the board.

T
Our coaching is as its strong as it’s ever going to be. We’ve got strong Coordinators, an NFL OLine Coach, and experienced coaches across the board
That remains to be seen. You are literally the only person watching college football that thinks talent is the only thing that matters. That's your story and you're sticking with it. I suspect you never played sports or lifted weights. Hence, the lack of awareness of how important good coaching is.

T

That remains to be seen. You are literally the only person watching college football that thinks talent is the only thing that matters. That's your story and you're sticking with it. I suspect you never played sports or lifted weights. Hence, the lack of awareness of how important good coaching is.

Never said talent is the only thing that matters. In college football coaching is important, but talent reigns supreme. That’s why excellent recruiters like Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrior, and even Greg Schiano succeeded in college but washed out in the NFL. Whereas a Coach like Larry Coker won a National Championship .

Never said talent is the only thing that matters. In college football coaching is important, but talent reigns supreme. That’s why excellent recruiters like Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrior, and even Greg Schiano succeeded in college but washed out in the NFL. Whereas a Coach like Larry Coker won a National Championship .
That's why Miami, Texas A&M, USC and others can't win much lately.

T

I agree with your point. I never played sports (at least not at a level that anyone could conceivably think was good) or lifted weights aside from a few dumbbells. But I taught for a living, and so I know that good teaching (which is a lot of what coaching is) is essential no matter how talented a student (player) is.

I agree with your point. I never played sports (at least not at a level that anyone could conceivably think was good) or lifted weights aside from a few dumbbells. But I taught for a living, and so I know that good teaching (which is a lot of what coaching is) is essential no matter how talented a student (player) is.
Everyone but Al knows this. Hence the obsession with the field house.

Everyone but Al knows this. Hence the obsession with the field house.

USC is building a new Fieldhouse despite having all the NIL support they will ever need. Looks like they know something that you don’t. As does Greg Schiano as he wants a Fieldhouse too.

USC is building a new Fieldhouse despite having all the NIL support they will ever need. Looks like they know something that you don’t. As does Greg Schiano as he wants a Fieldhouse too.
Just an FYI: recruits aren't picking USC for a field house. Tons of Rose Bowl trophies are a better draw. Also, offense that doesn't make you want to die.

USC unveils strategic vision to transform athletics facilities
“Every day our exceptional, hard-working student-athletes come here to pursue their dreams. We want to provide the facilities and support for those dreams to come true,”Folt said. (USC President Carol Folt)
Head football coach Lincoln Riley said this improvement will be “an absolute game-changer for our program. It will be the perfect home for our team and give our players every opportunity to be successful.”

USC President Folt also said
>"Trojan student-athletes will soon have state-of-the-art facilities commensurate to their recent achievements and to USC’s upcoming integration into the Big Ten Conference, all within the existing footprint of the University Park Campus."<
https://news.usc.edu/208590/usc-athletics-facilities-strategic-vision-football-performance-center/

Just an FYI: recruits aren't picking USC for a field house. Tons of Rose Bowl trophies are a better draw. Also, offense that doesn't make you want to die.

Lincoln Riley believes a new facility is key to being successful. Greg Schiano believes the same. Better send them a memo.

Eighteen months later, in a statement announcing the new performance center, the coach called the facility “an absolute game-changer.”

“Even before I took this job, I outlined things that I thought were gonna be really, really key to this place being successful,” Riley said in January.

It was no secret that new facilities were high on that list. Just 18 months into his tenure, plans are already set for a performance center that Riley calls “an absolute game-changer”.

Lincoln Riley believes a new facility is key to being successful. Greg Schiano believes the same. Better send them a memo.

Eighteen months later, in a statement announcing the new performance center, the coach called the facility “an absolute game-changer.”

“Even before I took this job, I outlined things that I thought were gonna be really, really key to this place being successful,” Riley said in January.

It was no secret that new facilities were high on that list. Just 18 months into his tenure, plans are already set for a performance center that Riley calls “an absolute game-changer”.

How did anyone ever get recruits without a field house??

Everything is important.
It's a matter of priority.l and rank.

Didn't HC Schiano reverse course himself say that NIL is more important than a Fieldhouse?

Haven't you been repeatedly posting that NIL is more important than a fieldhouse?

Reactions: retired711
Everything is important.
It's a matter of priority.l and rank.

Didn't HC Schiano reverse course himself say that NIL is more important than a Fieldhouse?

Haven't you been repeatedly posting that NIL is more important than a fieldhouse?

NIL is more important than a Fieldhouse.

But no one is supporting NIL in terms of recruiting new players. We’re only supporting it in terms of retention.

So we’re going to build the Fieldhouse.

NIL is more important than a Fieldhouse.

But no one is supporting NIL in terms of recruiting new players. We’re only supporting it in terms of retention.

So we’re going to build the Fieldhouse.

If the fanbase isn't supporting NIL (a higher priority) then how are we building the Fieldhouse?

Every NIL thread turns into "the AD is broke. Nearly every program in the country loses money and can't afford to pay players. ADs cant take on another expense."

So if the AD can't afford anything and the fans are already not supporting higher priority items, where is the Fieldhouse money coming from?

If the fanbase isn't supporting NIL (a higher priority) then how are we building the Fieldhouse?

Every NIL thread turns into "the AD is broke. Nearly every program in the country loses money and can't afford to pay players. ADs cant take on another expense."

So if the AD can't afford anything and the fans are already not supporting higher priority items, where is the Fieldhouse money coming from?
For RU keeping up with the Joneses with facility upgrades now is easier than matching the NIL money recruits make at the Jones' house.
Rutgers is in the NIL GAME, but a far cry from being a top player
So it's try everything you can to keep pace and impress the recruits if the money can't match what Jones can give.

Reactions: rutgersal

There are people who will support a Fieldhouse, just as they supported the APC on Livingston.

It's easier to raise money for something like a fieldhouse than for NIL. Alums are used to providing money for facilities -- NIL is new and still strange. The idea of college athletes being compensated in any way beside a scholarship is anathema to some. You are a regular reader of this board and so you've seen lots of examples of these attitudes toward NIL.

Reactions: NickRU714
It's easier to raise money for something like a fieldhouse than for NIL. Alums are used to providing money for facilities -- NIL is new and still strange. The idea of college athletes being compensated in any way beside a scholarship is anathema to some. You are a regular reader of this board and so you've seen lots of examples of these attitudes toward NIL.

Agreed.
But if even HC Schiano is saying NIL is a higher priority shouldn't funds be directed towards that?

To me, its a similar mentality of "I'll donate to rehire HC Schiano but not any other Rutgers HC canidate."

Agreed.
But if even HC Schiano is saying NIL is a higher priority shouldn't funds be directed towards that?

To me, its a similar mentality of "I'll donate to rehire HC Schiano but not any other Rutgers HC canidate."
People are entitled to donate to what they are most comfortable donating to. You can try to persuade them to donate to the collective for NIL, or to donate to Rutgers to hire someone other than Schiano, but it's ultimately their decision. I can understand why alums might be uncomfortable supporting NIL more than I can understand "Schiano or bust." Certainly it would be foolish for Rutgers to say, "gee, we won't take your fieldhouse donations because we think it's more important that you donate to the collective for NIL."

Agreed.

I think he’s probably saying it in terms of retention. That would make sense as the coaching staff (pretty much anywhere) needs to know that their program has the funds to be able to keep the best players they develop. If you can’t do that - winning will be impossible in the long run. That’s why so many of our fans hate NIL and prophesize that it will kill many programs.

We’ll never shell out NIL money for a roster full of unproven recruits with potential. That’s just not going to happen. Priority is better placed making our facilities as nice as possible. Our selling point needs to be - hey look at what a great place RU is. Also - we take care of our players (NIL) who do well here. It’ll be easier to do well here than at Alabama too. So consider us…. This isn’t a Schiano argument. It’s general. That has to be our positioning on resourcing no matter who our coach is. We don’t really have much choice.

Reactions: rutgersal
I think he’s probably saying it in terms of retention. That would make sense as the coaching staff (pretty much anywhere) needs to know that their program has the funds to be able to keep the best players they develop. If you can’t do that - winning will be impossible in the long run. That’s why so many of our fans hate NIL and prophesize that it will kill many programs.

We’ll never shell out NIL money for a roster full of unproven recruits with potential. That’s just not going to happen. Priority is better placed making our facilities as nice as possible. Our selling point needs to be - hey look at what a great place RU is. Also - we take care of our players (NIL) who do well here. It’ll be easier to do well here than at Alabama too. So consider us…. This isn’t a Schiano argument. It’s general. That has to be our positioning on resourcing no matter who our coach is. We don’t really have much choice.

Retention is all we have available to us for now. I’m hopeful that as the program improves, more resources will be available to us.

I think the Fieldhouse is key, because it will allow us to boost recruiting of non NIL taking players, which will make it easier for us to be successful.

Retention is all we have available to us for now. I’m hopeful that as the program improves, more resources will be available to us.

Doubtful. We’re not going to be the kind of team that forks over big money for a red shirt 4 star lineman with potential. Don’t see it. Too many of them don’t pan out despite the rating. We don’t have Miami funds and never will. But we can still win through development of players.

Doubtful. We’re not going to be the kind of team that forks over big money for a red shirt 4 star lineman with potential. Don’t see it. Too many of them don’t pan out despite the rating. We don’t have Miami funds and never will. But we can still win through development of players.

I’m thinking more of getting NFL potential upper class linemen from Temple, Connecticut, Syracuse and Boston College, which is feasible.

It’s inevitable that the Ohio States, Alabama’s, Texas’, USC’s and others are going to poach from us, so we’ll have to do the same to others. Alabama grabbed a tight end from Maryland this year.

The coaches we’ve added on offense are especially good teachers, most importantly, the OC , Flats on the offensive line And Brock at WR. I think these guys will maximize the offensive talent and nicely complement what we already have on the defensive side of the ball.

I think we will see better execution on offense this year, as kids will improve their technique and be able to better execute.

Hoping for 20 TDS and 10 ints from Wimsatt and an average of 200 passing yards per game. Would also like to see 200 rushing yards per game split up by our backs. If we can do this, we’ll go bowling.

I’m thinking more of getting NFL potential upper class linemen from Temple, Connecticut, Syracuse and Boston College, which is feasible.

It’s inevitable that the Ohio States, Alabama’s, Texas’, USC’s and others are going to poach from us, so we’ll have to do the same to others. Alabama grabbed a tight end from Maryland this year.
Got it. Yea - maybe we will pay for proven impact portal kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT