ADVERTISEMENT

The Official Name - Forevermore - of the Jacob Young play with :19 to go in regulation?

The Official Name - Forevermore - of the Jacob Young play with :40 to go in regulation?

• The Steal

Votes: 43 44.8%
  • The Save

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • The Interception

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • The Play

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Other (write-in below)

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
While I agree it probably saved the season, i think RU would have had at least 7-8 seconds and enough time to bring it up court. Of course if it was a repeat of Geo Bakers play to end regulation , we know how thins would have ended up.

kyk1827 suggested "the interception" in another thread, and I think he nailed it. The steal is too generic. As I re-watch the play, I continue to be struck by how much he looked like a db breaking on the ball. It was a football play in a basketball game.

It can’t be the interception. That’s not a basketball word.

It has to be The Steal.

and, this wasn't simply a basketball play........

jy1.jpg
jy2.jpg

The snatch.

snatch
[snaCH]

VERB
  1. quickly seize (something) in a rude or eager way.
    "she snatched a cookie from the plate" ·
    [more]
    synonyms:
    grab · seize · seize hold of · grab hold of · take hold of · lay hold of · lay (one's) hands on · get one's hands on · take · pluck · take a grip of · grip · grasp · clutch
NOUN
  1. an act of snatching or quickly seizing something.
    "a quick snatch of breath"
  2. weightlifting
    the rapid raising of a weight from the floor to above the head in one movement.
  3. vulgar slang
    a woman's genitals.

While I agree it probably saved the season, i think RU would have had at least 7-8 seconds and enough time to bring it up court. Of course if it was a repeat of Geo Bakers play to end regulation , we know how thins would have ended up.
True, but it would have been an uncontested lay up, down 2 and I don’t like our chances

how about a little JY tribute
Journey chorus

only J Young can say
His steal did save R day
Sharing our dancing desire
no more scarlet muck and mire

Watch Jacob for the 20 seconds before the steal, it was like Jacob stayed back sensing that he would be needed on defense. Great anticipation.

yup. only one. other 4 inside the paint (not criticizing) JY was playing his part to perfection.

It can’t be the interception. That’s not a basketball word.

It has to be The Steal.

(a) why not?

(b) actually, "intercepts the outlet pass", etc. is super common expression in basketball

(c) of course, that play transcends just basketball....

but, vote as you think best....

kyk1827 suggested "the interception" in another thread, and I think he nailed it. The steal is too generic. As I re-watch the play, I continue to be struck by how much he looked like a db breaking on the ball. It was a football play in a basketball game.
Im tellin u, if I’m GS im seriously recruiting JY as hard as possible to get him to try just one year of football. Hed be a first round corner, i have zero doubt. He has god given athletic ability

That play by JY is the equivalent of Malcolm Butler's pick of Russell Wilson in the Super Bowl. It's gotta be "The Interception".
To me a steal is picking someones pocket, the word steal doesnt even come to mind when watching that play

Reactions: Skull83
1) the amount of ground JY covers is incredible.
2) pike shouldnt have called a timeout he should've let JY go to work and reward him. Realistically he is the one who deserves the last shot
If you watch the replay, you can see Young moving to the spot before the pass was even made. Great anticipation.

I don't think he deserved the ball at the end as a reward. At this point in time, everyone know what Baker will do at the end. Young was the only one who was able to create his own shot during this game so that would be the reason to give him the last play.

Im tellin u, if I’m GS im seriously recruiting JY as hard as possible to get him to try just one year of football. Hed be a first round corner, i have zero doubt. He has god given athletic ability

kyk, you are too young for this, but he reminds of former RU MBB player Darius Griffin, who did play DB on the RU football team. Griffin also made a famous steal for RU late in a game in Dec 1981, enabling a big RU upset over UCLA. That was a more traditional "steal" as he stripped the ball away from the ball handler.

Reactions: letitrip2
If you watch the replay, you can see Young moving to the spot before the pass was even made. Great anticipation.

I don't think he deserved the ball at the end as a reward. At this point in time, everyone know what Baker will do at the end. Young was the only one who was able to create his own shot during this game so that would be the reason to give him the last play.

Young not only scored well vs. Minny, but that had to be the best game of his career in distributing the ball and setting up his teammates.

To me a steal is picking someones pocket, the word steal doesnt even come to mind when watching that play
That’s true. Other than being the very first word that comes to mind. Repeatedly: Did you see that steal! Did you see that steal?! What a steal! The second would would be: stole. He stole the ball! He stole the ball! Holy sh!t, he stole ball! He stole it! Young came from nowhere and stole the ball!

Then somebody in the corner with too much acne says, “That was some interception.”

And everything stops. The mood changes. It’s gone from celebration to bewilderment. “Who brought this guy?” What the hell did he say? Interception? When the ball goes out of bounds, does he yell foul ball?

The awkward moment lingers a bit too long, then everyone returns to the game. “What a f&€king steal!” STEAL OF THE CENTURY!

kyk, you are too young for this, but he reminds of former RU MBB player Darius Griffin, who did play DB on the RU football team. Griffin also made a famous steal for RU late in a game in Dec 1981, enabling a big RU upset over UCLA. That was a more traditional "steal" as he stripped the ball away from the ball handler.
Definitely.
If Jacob is faster than Darius, which is no given, it still makes DG the second fastest player in RU history.
I was at MSG for that game.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
JY the steal leader in the B1G. Goes down in the books as a steal. It is THE STEAL!!!!

wow - That brought back great memories! If I remember correctly we were making a comeback and there was a momentum swing to us. The UCLA guard was dribbling up court and Griffin slapped the floor with both hands at around mid-court (basically saying "lets go"). He made that great steal shortly after.

1) the amount of ground JY covers is incredible.
2) pike shouldnt have called a timeout he should've let JY go to work and reward him. Realistically he is the one who deserves the last shot

Disagree on #2 regarding the timeout. It looked like everyone on our team was confused and disoriented at that moment. The timeout was smart.

The steal!

wtf was baker doing
What was he supposed to do? He was driving the lane in the opposite direction and what you see in those photos was around 1.5 seconds max. So first he’s facing the wrong the direction and then he’s turning around and thinking “oh $hit” follows by “thank you Jacob.”

Edit - watch the Top 3 plays. Geo jumps in the face of the QB which actually prevented him from seeing JY. That was a great corner blitz.

Last edited:
Disagree on #2 regarding the timeout. It looked like everyone on our team was confused and disoriented at that moment. The timeout was smart.
Surprised JY didn’t attack since we had numbers but he was being smart too with the clock situation. He really played a great all around game.

Last edited:
I assumed he meant turning it over in the lane

What was he supposed to do? He was driving the lane in the opposite direction and what you see in those photos was around 1.5 seconds max. So first he’s facing the wrong the direction and then he’s turning around and thinking “oh $hit” follows by “thank you Jacob.”

I assumed he meant turning it over in the lane
Again watch the full replay above and you will see that was a loose ball that he barely got control over and two guys jumped out at him as he was trying to corral the ball and make a move. If you listen the shot click went off so he had no choice but to try and make a play there.

Reactions: RUinOhio
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT