ADVERTISEMENT

The Pirates

Many of them, but they were also the correct calls.

Even if they weren’t, though, if there is one team that it wouldn’t bother me one bit, it’s Michigan. We literally had a national championship stolen against them on a call the official essentially admitted he blew.
The one guy on Michigan tried to draw a charge off the dribble with about 1:15 left. Very stupid move in a tie ball game. Clear blocking foul and he probably should have been chewed out for it.

Reactions: SHUSource
Seton Hall has 3 assets for a successful basketball team :shot blockers that hinders opponents from driving to the basket;3 point shooters from all areas of the court;multiple players that can create and make shots off the dribble.They should be ranked in the top 20 teams next week and would not be surprised that they defeat Ohio State in Florida .

So did seton hall duck us last year bc they knew the age differential would be in their favor this year? Just don’t understand why they were so scared to play us last year.

• Haha
Reactions: walshtrips
Seton Hall outworked and wore down the Wolverines, who are very green and young in a lot of spots. Playing 4 frosh a lot of minutes and SHU took them off the dribble most of the night.

A sign of a good team is getting key and timely contributions off the bench when you have a couple of starters that aren't clicking.....my post above in reference to the age of the SHU rotation is just to point out for fans that are unaware.....there is no rule against having an older roster, it does show up early in a season when your opponent is playing frosh or sophomores in their true first tests against quality competition......Michigan will be better in February if their frosh get experience and games under their belts, but SHU was clearly the more determined and stronger team for 40 minutes and earned the road win.
And Michigan's 2 best players from last season (Wagner, Livers) are in the NBA now. 'Next
Man Up' theory often just nonsense

So did seton hall duck us last year bc they knew the age differential would be in their favor this year? Just don’t understand why they were so scared to play us last year.
I think SHU did not want to waste their home game against us in an empty gym last year
They gambled that they could wait a year and get the home game, and it worked out for them

Right now, SHU beats us like a drum, comparing the level of play of both teams

Even without looking at the DePaul record, I would not be shocked if we lose out there by double digits

We have to really get our act together if we still expect to make it through the league preseason with maybe one loss

Last edited:
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Talk to my dad after the game. Sit in the front row. Said that Cliff was getting pushed around (and out of the lane) by NJIT’s center all night long. That is NOT good.
Yep Cliff is extremely athletic but doesn't appear to have the leg strength to hold down the paint against stronger frontcourts. He'll have to find a way to use his "springy" athleticism against shu's bigs because he won't be able to back them down on the offensive block or wall them off the boards too often.

Reactions: RC85 and AreYouNUTS

I'm not justifying what Seton Hall did last year but is it really that difficult to understand why SHU did what they did? Rutgers of all schools should understand the meaning of home court advantage in a packed arena. What's more likely, Kevin Willard thinking that he doesn't want to waste a game in an empty arena or literally any other reason (like our guys will be older in a year)?

Reactions: walshtrips
I'm not justifying what Seton Hall did last year but is it really that difficult to understand why SHU did what they did? Rutgers of all schools should understand the meaning of home court advantage in a packed arena. What's more likely, Kevin Willard thinking that he doesn't want to waste a game in an empty arena or literally any other reason (like our guys will be older in a year)?
To that logic wouldn't the hall have preferred to play us in an empty RAC last year? It was a bush league bull crap move by them. If I was running RU I'd have told them come and play the game or screw off for this year's game at the ROC. See ya in 2022.

BTW. Great win for them last night. The will be tough to beat. (Maybe we should find a why to cancel and save the potential loss? Nah, we'll man up and play the game).

It's not hard to understand - but understanding a behavior doesn't mean you endorse it.

Right now, SHU beats us like a drum, comparing the level of play of both teams

Even without looking at the DePaul record, I would not be shocked if we lose out there by double digits

While that's possible, that's not really what we've generally seen historically. Going back to 2000, 25 of 36 meetings have ended regulation with single digit margins (and 5 have gone to OT). In the last 15 years, we've had 11 away games at SHU and just 2 have ended with a double-digit margin.

Regardless of our respective strengths, our games have tended to be competitive.

The fact that you're grappling with this means you're close to the realization that they were not actually ducking you.

The fact that you're grappling with this means you're close to the realization that they were not actually ducking you.
Respectfully, i think the Hall did duck us, not wanting to play the home game without fans, in hope of playing it this year with
I don’t buy the excuse of other games blocking the scheduling, the hall could have scheduled our game first

And Michigan's 2 best players from last season (Wagner, Livers) are in the NBA now. 'Next
Man Up' theory often just nonsense

You have 3 Top 60 kids as frosh and Hunter Dickinson who was the 4th option last year, now as the primary scoring option....going to take Michigan frosh some time to get up and running.

Mike Smith was the grad transfer guard from Columbia, who was a better scoring threat at the PG spot....the kid Jones last night as a grad transfer had some sketchy plays, passes and didn't recognize the 10 second timeline bringing the ball up the court.

A lot of mistakes by the Wolverines were forced because SHU emptied the tank defensively and went after the younger Wolverines. Caleb Houstan is considered the preseason Frosh of the Year in the B1G, he didn't show much and gotten taken to the basket twice by Jared Rhoden and Myles Cale.

Kadary Richmond, the Syracuse transfer who started for SHU, looks way out of sync for a frosh/sophomore. He wasn't looking to score and slowed the pace down enough that Michigan was comfortable on defense.....as soon as the Pirates removed him from the floor and brought Aiken in, the Pirates just went off the dribble and cut to find people.....it was really a lot of 1 on 1 basketball, drive and kicks....

Trey Jackson was the surprise for Michigan's defensive game plan, he hit big shots off the bench for SHU when Yetna didn't do much. I am not saying it's fools gold, but if Jackson has any consistency to his game, SHU has potential to reach the Final Four. They have the athletes and shot blocking you need at the basket to turn people away. I will need to see more of them, but they pass the eye-test for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: batts
Respectfully, i think the Hall did duck us, not wanting to play the home game without fans, in hope of playing it this year with
I don’t buy the excuse of other games blocking the scheduling, the hall could have scheduled our game first
It's a fair opinion. I do think they prefer to play that game with fans in the building -- our revenue is very basketball ticket-driven -- but I also think the chaos and uncertainty around scheduling last year, often on the fly, forced some quick decisions to be made and some typical protocols to be placed aside.

Neither team looked that impressive. Michigan’s defense is atrocious. Seton Hall got every call down the stretch
Yes they did. It started when UM went up 11 and kept giving SHU 2nd possessions. There was one where the SHU player looked like he took 3 or 4 steps along the baseline.

Trey Jackson was the surprise for Michigan he hit big shots off the bench when Yetna didn't do much. I am not saying it's fools gold, but if Jackson has any consistency to his game, SHU has potential to reach the Final Four. They have the athletes and shot blocking you need at the basket to turn people away. I will need to see more of them, but they pass the eye-test for sure.
I need to see more too, and especially of Tray Jackson, but he was a top-60 kid coming out of high school, so it's not like he fell out of the sky. He should play like that.

I think we're very good; that seems evident. My fingers are crossed for just how good.

I don't think SHU was "scared" to play RU last year, but they looked at the situation on the ground and felt it was in their best interests to bail on the scheduled game and then to pressure us into rescheduling more to their advantage.

There's no question that it worked out for them. Nothing that has happened between RU/SHU in the last 12+ months has been to Rutgers' advantage - it's been 100% benefit for SHU. Mercenary? Sure. Not in good faith? A-yup.

And only part of the frustration is with SHU - another part is with the RU administration for not getting at least something out of the negotiation.

Talk to my dad after the game. Sit in the front row. Said that Cliff was getting pushed around (and out of the lane) by NJIT’s center all night long. That is NOT good.
Agree. And I was unpleasantly surprised by that.

I need to see more too, and especially of Tray Jackson, but he was a top-60 kid coming out of high school, so it's not like he fell out of the sky. He should play like that.

I think we're very good; that seems evident. My fingers are crossed for just how good.

Jackson player lights out.....no one was looking for him....I am not sure how many teams bring a player like him off the bench to guard Jackson, but he was left wide open all night. ..that only happens when you're left off the scouting report.

Michigan took away Richmond and let Yetna fire away.....they did a decent job on Rhoden.....I don't think it's unreasonable to say if Jackson only goes 1 of 3 from 3, instead of 3 for 3, Michigan still wins by 4 to 6 points....his 3s were in big spots to stop some runs.

If he is consistent off the bench (every other game of double figures or 8 points etc), it becomes very difficult to prepare for.....I think it's early and time will tell if it's a fast start or a sign of something else.

Agree. And I was unpleasantly surprised by that.

The quote or observation is ridiculous in itself....Cliff is not Kofi Cockburn and is a faster quicker player.....he's not here to be a banger inside like Luka Garza against smaller bigs that are 6'7 or 6'8......if NJIT has any athletic ability or footspeed, they would have stopped Cliff on his 3 dunks on alley-oops or lobs to the basket.

For everything you give up asking for a player to be slower and less mobile, you give up when a smaller team sends people to the 3 point line.....Cliff is agile and fast enough to defend quicker players or switch on defense, something that Myles Johnson couldn't do consistently......we asked Myles to hedge on defense and steer a player away towards the sidelines, so he could get back into position to hopefully not get beaten.....it's early but Cliff appears to be much more fluid on defense and getting out on shooters. I would rather have that vs worrying about a big looking to bang inside for post position......giving up a 3 is always more damaging than a 2....

The quote or observation is ridiculous in itself....Cliff is not Kofi Cockburn and is a faster quicker player.....he's not here to be a banger inside like Luka Garza against smaller bigs that are 6'7 or 6'8......if NJIT has any athletic ability or footspeed, they would have stopped Cliff on his 3 dunks on alley-oops or lobs to the basket.

For everything you give up asking for a player to be slower and less mobile, you give up when a smaller team sends people to the 3 point line.....Cliff is agile and fast enough to defend quicker players or switch on defense, something that Myles Johnson couldn't do consistently......we asked Myles to hedge on defense and steer a player away towards the sidelines, so he could get back into position to hopefully not get beaten.....it's early but Cliff appears to be much more fluid on defense and getting out on shooters. I would rather have that vs worrying about a big looking to bang inside for post position......giving up a 3 is always more damaging than a 2....
Just sharing what my eyes see and I wasn't the only one. You can disagree with others and not be disagreeable. On at least three occasions he tried to post up and was shoved off the block, turning it over a couple of times. He got outmuscled by the other guy for a contested rebound on another occasion. It happens. Not saying he isn't going to be a great player for us. Just agreeing with an observation from a guy who has probably seen even more RU hoops than I have and I have seen plenty.

Just sharing what my eyes see and I wasn't the only one. You can disagree with others and not be disagreeable. On at least three occasions he tried to post up and was shoved off the block, turning it over a couple of times. He got outmuscled by the other guy for a contested rebound on another occasion. It happens. Not saying he isn't going to be a great player for us. Just agreeing with an observation from a guy who has probably seen even more RU hoops than I have and I have seen plenty.

Omoruyi is long and lean, and he doesn't really have the bulk to bang or hold his position - and even at 240, his center of gravity is higher thansomeone the same weight at 6-7 or 6-8. He's much more of an agility guy than a banger.

Some other notable centers over the last few years:
6-10, 265 - Williams (Purdue)
6-11, 240 - Omoruyi
6-11, 255 - Johnson (Rutgers/UCLA)
6-11, 265 - Garza (Iowa)
7-0, 275 - Gettys (Rutgers)
7-0, 285 - Cockburn (Illinois)
7-1, 255 - Dickinson (Michigan)
7-2, 270 - Obiagu (SHU)
7-2, 297 - Haas (Purdue)

Omoruyi is more in the line with more agile PF/C players like Qudus Wahab, Trayce Jackson-Davis, Pete Nance, John Harrar than he is with the bruisers.

I wonder if shu just wanted to end the series so they stop being compared to us like they’re our little brother. They’re a really good team but given they’re ina mid major conference i would think they would welcome a home and home series with us instead of us demanding a 2:1 or something.

I wonder if shu just wanted to end the series so they stop being compared to us like they’re our little brother. They’re a really good team but given they’re ina mid major conference i would think they would welcome a home and home series with us instead of us demanding a 2:1 or something.
I think the BE will be strong this year - a lot of returning veteran players and incoming talent.

Mid major? That’s not RUUUU. That’s DELUUUUSIONAL
By the way I like ur coach and I think you’ll have back to back bids.

Mid- Major Big East - I don’t think so.

Hall beat the best Big Ten team so again Big Ten is way overrated as the best BB conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT