ADVERTISEMENT

The rest of the B1G

Xavier absolutely refused to double or even help on Happ. He's a good passer but dang.

I think Omoruyi should be able to frustrate him more than Xavier did. They were rolling a 4-guard lineup so we might go small ourselves against them.

Forgot how much I hate watching Illinois. They get away with so much BS handchecking and grabbing.

Wisconsin looked good....going to be a tough game so early in the season on the road

Only four guys scored for them (unless someone hit a FT late). Definitely a tough game but workable especially since Aleem Ford will be out.

Only four guys scored for them (unless someone hit a FT late). Definitely a tough game but workable especially since Aleem Ford will be out.

it will be tough to score, I know what we have seen the first two games but those both Drexel and FDU had horrible defenses

it will be tough to score, I know what we have seen the first two games but those both Drexel and FDU had horrible defenses

Crazy to say, and I have been trying to preach wait for a bigger sample size, my biggest fear is facing a disciplined offensive team. I think we will do better defensively against a team like SJU then a team like Wisconsin.

I actually think we can get a point per possession. I don't think we can hold a Wioconsin under a point per possession

Reactions: kcg88
Crazy to say, and I have been trying to preach wait for a bigger sample size, my biggest fear is facing a disciplined offensive team. I think we will do better defensively against a team like SJU then a team like Wisconsin.

I actually think we can get a point per possession. I don't think we can hold a Wioconsin under a point per possession
What's the difference you see between SJU and Wisconsin? IMO just as you say we need a larger sample size before we can judge Rutgers, the same can be said about Wisconsin. I think Rutgers matches up well with Wisconsin. It's SJU with the smaller line-up that concerns me. They have scorers who are athletic and can expose Rutgers' lack of experience in the backcourt beyond the starters.

What's the difference you see between SJU and Wisconsin? IMO just as you say we need a larger sample size before we can judge Rutgers, the same can be said about Wisconsin. I think Rutgers matches up well with Wisconsin. It's SJU with the smaller line-up that concerns me. They have scorers who are athletic and can expose Rutgers' lack of experience in the backcourt beyond the starters.

Having not seen a minute of either team play this is all theoretical.......

I know SJU will beat us off the dribble, possibly at will. What happens next is the big question mark. Will our bigs rotate and force bad shots? Also SJU doesn't appear to be great from the perimeter

Wisconsin on the other will make you pay for lapses by making the extra pass and getting a wide open 3. In addition I could see them giving us fits with Happ getting the ball in the low post from a scoring and passing standpoint.

Certainly not the same, but last year Sanders could take any guard off the dribble. The problem was he would end up dribbling in to help and make shots at a low percentage. I think some teams actually welcomed this.

i think we will be okay against SJU. Keita will also be out from what ive gathered from other boards/twitter (fingers crossed)

We limit Ponds and stretch the floor like we have i think we win. We also shouldnt play small ball necessarily. Excited for this game.

I watched the PSU game last night. They have some quickness at guard and ability to get to the rim however they can't finish and aren't great shooters. They got a TON of offensive rebounds last night though.

Where have I seen THAT before?

Reactions: dkostus
I had the chance to watch Iowa's two games last night, and they are not good. I mean defense is like a sickness, and they want no parts of it. I think any team who can play a little defense will shut them down Their fans think Iowa will blow Rutgers out as payback.

Wisconsin easily took care of Xavier. I am not liking this matchup because of our youth...and the game comes at the end of a tough 3 game stretch where RU will be the underdog..we will know more of course after tests against SJU, Miami, and MSU so you are right we need more sample size but Wisconsin looks legit top half Big 10 team this year

Wisconsin easily took care of Xavier. I am not liking this matchup because of our youth...and the game comes at the end of a tough 3 game stretch where RU will be the underdog..we will know more of course after tests against SJU, Miami, and MSU so you are right we need more sample size but Wisconsin looks legit top half Big 10 team this year

Yeah, I don't like that matchup, especially on the road at Wisky (a really tough environment) to conclude a brutal three game in six day stretch. But I do wonder if Myles Johnson might give Happ fits with his wingspan and shot blocking ability. And if we can bottle up Happ, it could make things interesting.

Reactions: Scangg
Yeah, I don't like that matchup, especially on the road at Wisky (a really tough environment) to conclude a brutal three game in six day stretch. But I do wonder if Myles Johnson might give Happ fits with his wingspan and shot blocking ability. And if we can bottle up Happ, it could make things interesting.
As much as I love that idea, we'd have to give Myles a plaque if he managed to contain Happ as a redshirt freshman during Happ's POY campaign

As much as I love that idea, we'd have to give Myles a plaque if he managed to contain Happ as a redshirt freshman during Happ's POY campaign
If we win the game, he was successfully contained. He can go for 50 as long as we win.

We do have a lot of big bodies to throw at him. Myles both Shaqs and Doucoure. Maybe we can wear him down and beat him up a bit rotating fresh big men

My take on a very small sample of games:

Maryland - will be very good. Bruno Fernando is a 1ST round pick (maybe lottery) and they have very good recruiting class.
Penn State - will regress. Lost too much in offseason and Watkins still hurt.
Ohio State - will be very good. Terrific recruiting class and Holtmann is a real good coach
Indiana - much much better with possible Big 10 POY in Langford
Michigan - will be just as good as last year as their underclassmen (Poole etc) and a very good recruiting class will make up for loss of Wagner.
Michigan State - top 10-15 squad
Minnesota - many have them predicted for middle of pack in Big 10 so they have obviously improved.
Iowa - I think Bohanon is stlll on team with Garza and Cook...so they will be formidable.
Purdue - will regress...lost too much...but still very formidable.
Nebraska - top 25 upper classmen laden team
Wisconsin - will be much improved over last year.
Illinois -????..I believe they have a 5* recruit in their class.
Northwestern - an enigma but should be improved playing on their campus again.

i see the Big 10 this year as vastly improved as the conference pooped in its pants last year:

NCAA Final 4 Contenders: Michigan;Michigan State
NCAA Bids: Maryland; Indiana; Nebraska; Wisconsin
NCAA Bubble: Ohio State; Iowa; Purdue
NIT: Minnesota
Last 4 spots in no order: Rutgers; Penn State; Illinois; Northwestern
Big East Phil - nice pick with Michigan as final 4 possibility. They look awesome so far vs Nova...:)

Last edited:
Wisconsin looked good....going to be a tough game so early in the season on the road

If we are in a close game with Wisconsin, we MUST foul Happ down the stretch. He is a 50% foul shooter. Not fouling him at the Garden cost us that game.

Best of Luck,
Groz

B1G 3-1 thus far in the Gavitt games with Indiana up 13 on Marquette. Nice start.

Wisconsin taking it to Xavier tonight but they're a three-man show. No bench points. Happ, Trice, and Davison are doing all the work.
Im confident with eugene on happ

We do have a lot of big bodies to throw at him. Myles both Shaqs and Doucoure. Maybe we can wear him down and beat him up a bit rotating fresh big men
Correct me if im wrong but isnt happ an awful free throw shooter as well if i remember correctly

Correct me if im wrong but isnt happ an awful free throw shooter as well if i remember correctly
Yeah terrible. Could send in Doucoure for some rough D and hard fouls. Also have Shaq squared with 10 to give. Myles has sooo much length. We have the bodies and should be able to find someone who can slow him down a bit out of all those options... If not foul him inside always. No easy buckets

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Really glad people are taking Rutgers basketball but got to think one game at a time

St. John’s is a nice early game test ...and a good opportunity to see us need to defend to win

Reactions: RutgHoops
Conference seems much improved this year.
absolutely.. Michigan looked outstanding against Villanova ; Nebraska will be very tough with Roby, Palmer and others ; and Indiana annihilated Marquette with two very good freshman starters.....

Really interested to see what a healthy, veteran Doorson does defensively against Happ. We were able to limit Happ a lot last year, and force him into a ton of turnovers. Johnson's length should also bother him. We've got plenty of bigs to throw at him to wear him down, too.

We need to get back to physical defense and rebounding when league play starts. What kept us in some games last year was how uncomfortable some of these other highly skilled teams were when we played old school physical ball. Guys like this freshman at Michigan are doing whatever they want right now with no physical response from the opponent on D.

This is where Doucoure and Carter's 10 extra fouls may come into play.

Reactions: RUChoppin
It's funny what perception does. We've rebounded 42.6% of our misses on offense. In our first two D-1 games last year (CCSU and Cleveland State) we rebounded about 33% of our misses.

We held Fairleigh Dickinson to 0.74 points per possession this season. Last season we held them to... 0.73. In 2016 against Drexel, we allowed 0.88 points per possession. This year, we allowed... 0.88.

I'm not saying that the defense and rebounding are as good as the last two years (defensive rebounding has been lacking for sure), but it doesn't seem to have fallen off a cliff either.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if we beat St. Johns and turned around and lost to EMU.

EMU has to play a road game two days before playing us, stay on the road, and then come to the RAC. They should be a little tired. We can't lose that one under any circumstance.

EMU has to play a road game two days before playing us, stay on the road, and then come to the RAC. They should be a little tired. We can't lose that one under any circumstance.
EMU has/will have played an insane schedule leading up to our game. It may tire them out, but I will say they wont be intimidated given prior competition

Luther muhammad is a lockdown defender as a true freshman at tOSU. Kid is pikiells wet dream with the way he plays

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT