ADVERTISEMENT

The Source 10,000th Post – Welcome to the 151st Season – What A Long Strange Trip It’s Been

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
*Rutgers all time record on opening day from 1869-2020 is 80-61-10. Their all time record for their first home game is 106-35-10.

*From 1869-2020, Rutgers has played 1,374 games – the second most football games ever played and first among Division I Football Bowl Subdivision teams. According to College Football Data Warehouse, they trail Pennsylvania (1,406) and recently passed Yale (1,351).

*Rutgers all-time record prior to the 2021 season stood at 656 wins, 674 losses and 44 ties.

*The first Rutgers cannon firings was 90 years ago during the 1931 season. The current cannon (Class of ’49 Cannon) was first used 50 years ago this October 23rd. There have been three cannons over 90 years. Four if you include the “guest” cannon used at Giants Stadium games.

*Greg Schiano is the fifth Rutgers head coach to hold the job twice. The others were: Harvey Harman (1938-42, 46-55); Harry “Rocky” Rockefeller (1927-30, 42-45); Oliver “Od” Mann (1903, 05); and William “Double Dutch” Van Dyck (1897, 99).

*Rutgers has played 176 different opponents since 1869. The cancelled game with the Monmouth Hawks in 2020 would have added a 177th. Army is thought to have played the most opponents somewhere approaching 200.

*The undefeated 1961 team was 60 years ago this season

*The undefeated 1976 team was 45 years ago this season.

*The first bowl winning team of 2006 was 15 years ago this season.

*75 years ago this December 12th: WCTC (1450 AM and 98.3 FM), New Brunswick goes on the air. Their first Rutgers football game was September 27, 1947. ChanTiCleer Broadcasting’s station manager was James L. Howe, Rutgers Class of 1932. WCTC’s call letters come from the former Rutgers mascot.

*100 years ago: Rutgers makes its first trip to the “Deep South” playing Georgia Tech before 20,000 at Grant Field. They also met Knute Rockne and Notre Dame at the Polo Grounds.

*150 years ago: Rutgers declines a Princeton challenge and 1871 becomes the only season without intercollegiate football.

Last edited:
At first I was…wait a sec.

But you explained it well.👍

Congratulations Source. I had the privilege of meeting you when I was a newbie here as we stood at the stadium on a cold bleak day and looked at the expansion progress and pondered the future of "The Gap".

*Rutgers all time record on opening day from 1869-2020 is 80-61-10. Their all time record for their first home game is 106-35-10.

*From 1869-2020, Rutgers has played 1,374 games – the second most football games ever played and first among Division I Football Bowl Subdivision teams. According to College Football Data Warehouse, they trail Pennsylvania (1,406) and recently passed Yale (1,351).

*Rutgers all-time record prior to the 2021 season stood at 656 wins, 674 losses and 44 ties.

*The first Rutgers cannon firings was 90 years ago during the 1931 season. The current cannon (Class of ’49 Cannon) was first used 50 years ago this October 23rd. There have been three cannons over 90 years. Four if you include the “guest” cannon used at Giants Stadium games.

*Greg Schiano is the fifth Rutgers head coach to hold the job twice. The others were: Harvey Harman (1938-42, 46-55); Harry “Rocky” Rockefeller (1927-30, 42-45); Oliver “Od” Mann (1903, 05); and William “Double Dutch” Van Dyck (1897, 99).

*Rutgers has played 176 different opponents since 1869. The cancelled game with the Monmouth Fighting Scots in 2020 would have added a 177th. Army is thought to have played the most opponents somewhere approaching 200.

*The undefeated 1961 team was 60 years ago this season

*The undefeated 1976 team was 45 years ago this season.

*The first bowl winning team of 2006 was 15 years ago this season.

*75 years ago this December 12th: WCTC (1450 AM and 98.3 FM), New Brunswick goes on the air. Their first Rutgers football game was September 27, 1947. ChanTiCleer Broadcasting’s station manager was James L. Howe, Rutgers Class of 1932. WCTC’s call letters come from the former Rutgers mascot.

*100 years ago: Rutgers makes its first trip to the “Deep South” playing Georgia Tech before 20,000 at Grant Field. They also met Knute Rockne and Notre Dame at the Polo Grounds.

*150 years ago: Rutgers declines a Princeton challenge and 1871 becomes the only season without intercollegiate football.
As always great information!!! Only issue is you referenced the wrong Monmouth mascot:
Monmouth University NJ are the "Hawks"
Monmouth College Illinois are the "Fighting Scots"

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Congratulations Source. I had the privilege of meeting you when I was a newbie here as we stood at the stadium on a cold bleak day and looked at the expansion progress and pondered the future of "The Gap".
Thank you everybody in this thread. Fixed the Monmouth statement (thanks). RU'70 I remember stopping in several times to see the progress at the Stadium. I swung around a locked gate once and walked the field. Cool feeling and definitely a different perspective from the players point of view of the stands and fans.

Best of luck to the Scarlet Knights and a safe, enjoyable 2021 season to you all.

Hey Source.. what do you got on the nickname "Scarlet Scourge" or other nicknames the Rutgers team may have had?

And congrats on the 10,000th

Hey Source.. what do you got on the nickname "Scarlet Scourge" or other nicknames the Rutgers team may have had?

And congrats on the 10,000th
Thank you.

Rutgers started the 1918 season undefeated and the November 19, 1918 Daily Home News said, "In five games, the opposition made 87 line plays and 21 forward passes with one first down by scrimmage and two through the forward pass. If scrimmage alone were considered, the ball according to the above formula would be six yards behind the starting point.” Teams that HOF head coach Foster Sanford coached in this era acquired a new reference after its next game, according to the November 19 Daily Home News, “The sports writers favorite phrase in referring to Rutgers since Saturday is the ‘scarlet scourge.’” It was also this season that Foster Sanford acquired his nickname at Rutgers -- the Big He.

Most fans know the Scarlet Knight nickname goes back to 1955 replacing Chanticleer that goes back to around 1925. The “Scarlet” and the “Queensmen” have also been used (unoffically).

Contrary to accepted canon that Queensmen goes back to the start of intercollegiate football, the earliest mention of the “Queensmen” in the Daily Home News was February 7, 1930 when referencing the fencing team. It was an alternate to the official nickname of the Chanticleer.

"Scarlet" as in "Scarlet team" was used interchangeably, by newspaper writers who didn't want to repeat the school name over and over, since the beginning. Other colleges were also cited this way and some actually acquired an official nickname later in time - like the Harvard Crimson.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Rutgers started the 1918 season undefeated and the November 19, 1918 Daily Home News said, "In five games, the opposition made 87 line plays and 21 forward passes with one first down by scrimmage and two through the forward pass. If scrimmage alone were considered, the ball according to the above formula would be six yards behind the starting point.” Teams that HOF head coach Foster Sanford coached in this era acquired a new reference after its next game, according to the November 19 Daily Home News, “The sports writers favorite phrase in referring to Rutgers since Saturday is the ‘scarlet scourge.’” It was also this season that Foster Sanford acquired his nickname at Rutgers -- the Big He.

Most fans know the Scarlet Knight nickname goes back to 1955 replacing Chanticleer that goes back to around 1925. The “Scarlet” and the “Queensmen” have also been used (unoffically).

Contrary to accepted canon that Queensmen goes back to the start of intercollegiate football, the earliest mention of the “Queensmen” in the Daily Home News was February 7, 1930 when referencing the fencing team. It was an alternate to the official nickname of the Chanticleer.

"Scarlet" as in "Scarlet team" was used interchangeably, by newspaper writers who didn't want to repeat the school name over and over, since the beginning. Other colleges were also cited this way and some actually acquired an official nickname later in time - like the Harvard Crimson.
good stuff.

The Scarlet... I like it.

Congrat on 10,000 my man.

I've had the pleasure of hearing the Rutgers nuggets in person numerous times. Keep on keepin on.

Last edited:
Congrats, Source! Quite the milestone! When I see questions about things regarding our history on these boards my first reaction is, "Where's Source, he'll know!"

Also, looks like this is also your 20th Anniversary on these boards, too! (you're in your 121st month!)

Thank you Source! Anytime I think I know a fair amount about Rutgers, you always prove me wrong. Please keep it up!

Stanford Cardinal
Yes, "cardinal" represents the color, not the bird. There's also the NYU Violet and Dartmouth used to be the Green & White, Lehigh the "Brown & White." The Harvard Crimson used that color by the 1880s, but a half dozen years earlier they were the Harvard Magenta!

Anyway, I just wanted to acknowledge all the comments above. Very appreciative. Thanks and go RU!

Reactions: 29PAS
I always learn something new from your posts!

Hopefully but yourself and Rutgers Football are just warming up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT