ADVERTISEMENT

TheBasketballDiary Interview: Steve Pikiell

This is a must watch interview. GREAT JOB!! Pat Hobbs hit a grand slam here. I can see why HCSP was hired. I wish I took some notes. There are great one liners in there. He has won with offense, with defense, with rebounding. It's all about relationships....We have a winner here folks......this will not be built over night but we have professionals in charge now and it's going to be a wonderful ride.

Reactions: bac2therac
Good interview. Just wish he asked about his current player assessment, what they are working on, and how development is going.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
This was most enjoyable to listen to. Coach is one great guy. Hopefully we are going to be moving on up.

Coach was good but this is many steps up from stony brook league. His top player would have had a hard time. Easier to fix things in a lower league. That being said i like him and he has put together a top notch staff. Good luck

I don't expect miracles right away in the Big Ten games. What I do expect is no more out of conference losses to the little sisters of the poor and no more embarrassments

Coach was good but this is many steps up from stony brook league. His top player would have had a hard time. Easier to fix things in a lower league. That being said i like him and he has put together a top notch staff. Good luck
His top player had 23 and 15 against Kentucky

His top player is going to the NBA. Who did we have from last year going to the NBA?Crickets.

I heard Crickets didn't get a contract offer but signed a nice deal to play in the Chilean League. Happy for him.

" His best player is going to the NBA "

That would surprise me-----maybe the NBA Summer League or the D League but not the NBA

Nice interview. He seems to be very thoughtful in his responses but very sincere. Likable guy. I also like the idea that he will adjust his style to the skills of the players rather than have a style and fit the kids into it.

We now have the leadership, now we need to add some talented players.

" His best player is going to the NBA "

That would surprise me-----maybe the NBA Summer League or the D League but not the NBA

He has worked out for 5-7 teams now. I would not be surprised. I hear you, though.

Pikiell has an aura of a mature professional. He inspires my confidence. But I must confess, I get a weird feeling when he talks about RU being his dream job. Can't help thinking he's fos when he says that.

Reactions: mfgiguy
Pikiell has an aura of a mature professional. He inspires my confidence. But I must confess, I get a weird feeling when he talks about RU being his dream job. Can't help thinking he's fos when he says that.

I know what you are saying. I will say this though- If you can coach- why would you not want to coach in New Jersey?The best players in the country come from here-most of the time. If you can coach, if you can win, why would you want to be anywhere else?

Makes his job a lot easier. If he wins, its not overnight plane trips to florida, its one hour car drives to roselle catholic,st pats,etc.

The job is easier. I could see why he would want it.

People keep saying this is a different level. No, if your passion is coaching, and you do it well, you can do it at any level. Just my opinion.

I know what you are saying. I will say this though- If you can coach- why would you not want to coach in New Jersey?The best players in the country come from here-most of the time. If you can coach, if you can win, why would you want to be anywhere else?

Makes his job a lot easier. If he wins, its not overnight plane trips to florida, its one hour car drives to roselle catholic,st pats,etc.

The job is easier. I could see why he would want it.

People keep saying this is a different level. No, if your passion is coaching, and you do it well, you can do it at any level. Just my opinion.

Passion-do it well-win. Passion is a strong prerequisite.

I think Rutgers *can* be a dream job - it just isn't right now. I think Pikiell thinks he can make it that dream job.

I mean, we've been saying it forever... great recruiting territory, easy access to lots of top recruits within a short/medium drive, great academics, play some of the best teams in the country. But recently it's grown more attractive... big money on the horizon from the Big Ten, big exposure through the media deals of the Big Ten, new practice facility in near term, improvements to the arena in the intermediate term...

The Rutgers job has all the elements to be a destination job, if the right pieces are in place. It looks like those pieces are going to start coming together over the next 3-5 years.

Edit to add: It's also a hell of a lot more attractive right now for a basketball coach with Hobbs at the helm than it was with the football-uber-alles Mulcahy/Pernetti administrations.

Higgins, Choppin

I just think he's over selling when he says RU is his 'dream job'.

He grew up in CT and played at UCONN. I'm hard pressed to believe that he wouldn't leave tomorrow for the UCONN job if it were offered. And I wouldn't blame him. That said, I'm glad he's here and judging by the way he put his staff together I'm optimistic about him doing good things at RU.

We now have the leadership, now we need to add some talented players.
For decades the missing link has been the lack of enough talented players.Hopefully,Pikiell and staff can change the downward spiral of the mens basketball program.

Higgins, Choppin

I just think he's over selling when he says RU is his 'dream job'.

He grew up in CT and played at UCONN. I'm hard pressed to believe that he wouldn't leave tomorrow for the UCONN job if it were offered. And I wouldn't blame him. That said, I'm glad he's here and judging by the way he put his staff together I'm optimistic about him doing good things at RU.
I'm sure being a UConn grad, that the job would appeal to him, if offered... But the conference situation has changed considerably in recent years, which I'm sure would enter into the decision making process.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT