ADVERTISEMENT

There are no positives

Local Shill

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 30, 2001
Easton Avenue's finest gin mills
Don't even attempt to put any positive spin on this. The performance is s flat out disgrace.
There's no defense for it.
The team stinks. The coach stinks and the only people in a position to one day make things better couldn't give a shit.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The only positive I can see is that there are only four games left in this embarrassing season.

No we are not paying Rice. He's done. We are paying Eddie $4 million for the next three years however.

Its only sold out because of the novelty of the Big 10 and oppossing schools bringing 1500-2000 fans...wait until next year

Shameful loss by RU in every way. Looks like this team has packed it in.

At Purdue, home vs Maryland and at Michigan looks like more of the same that we witnessed tonite.

In 27 years, I have left exactly 3 games early- ALL of them this year. Tonight by far was the worst- I left at the 8-minute timeout. This was an absolute disgrace of epic proportions. The team has packed it in and Eddie has ZERO ability to motivate them nor has he made ANYONE on the team any better in the past 2 seasons.

They are a complete abomination. No heart, no hunger, no self respect......

Jack continues to be the BIGGEST disappointment of any player this year... not just at RU, but anywhere.

Originally posted by jersey07080:
Sold out crowd. I am sure JH likes that.
Even that was not positive. The whiteout was an epic fail because every level of the RAC was filled with so many IU fans who, of course, would not put on the free t-shirts. The hoops program has reached new depths - and given the dismal history of the past several years, that's really saying something.

Pernetti got rid of Gary Waters the best coach we had in 20 plus years and put in Fred Hill and then that other whacko Rice.

Pernetti flat out sucked ass as AD. Horrible.

Would take Gary Waters back in a second.

Originally posted by Dr. Potato:
Pernetti got rid of Gary Waters the best coach we had in 20 plus years and put in Fred Hill and then that other whacko Rice.

Pernetti flat out sucked ass as AD. Horrible.

Would take Gary Waters back in a second.
Waters was a good HC in the mid majors but had a losing RECORD IN be 4 of the 5 years he was the RU MBB HC
His first year went 8-8 in conference play.
Also had a losing record in two (2nd year and 4th) of the five years he was RU's HC.
Waters was not a good fit as a HC at RU , but was and is a good HC at the mid major level.

As far as Pernetti firing Waters, maybe if you did a google search , you would Waters resign and accept a buyout so Mulcahy could hire Fred Hill Jr.
So Pernetti wasn't involved in any way with Gary leaving RU.
As for hiring Fred Hill Jr., again your facts are wrong: Mulcahy hired Freddie when he was AD , Tim got rid of him when he was RU's AD.
The only thing yo got right was Pernetti was the one who hired Mike Rice.
As for Waters being the best RU MBB HC in 20 years, with the low bar set after Tom Young left, you might be right but
his competition for that best HC spot was mighty poor.
Bob Wenzel might take top spot over Waters because he brought RU to the Big Dance twice in his 9 years as the RU MBB HC. His 128-135 in those 9 years might keep him from top spot
Gary's 79-75 record with 3 NIT bids isn't a great resume but ,compared to the other RU HCs after Tom Young, might be good enough to make you right about Waters being the pick of the litter.

You should try and have your facts straight before making any claims.
Facts:
Waters was hired by Mulcahy and Gary resigned when Mulcahy was the AD( though more than likely Mulcahy forced that resignation ).
Hill was hired by Mulcahy, not Pernetti!
Rutgers should strive have a HC that could do better than being barely over 500 as its HC and not have a winning conference record in the 5 years he was RU's HC.
Gary was a good man and competent HC, but not good enough to make RU into the type of program RU MBB fans want.
So taking him back in a second should be considered: loser mentality.

A few points and things to consider to MADHATs post

1. Waters brings in a very good FIG class and only got 1 year to coach them
2. If Waters is only a good at mid major level...that is mostly likely coaching pool we fish from
3. 3 winning seasons out of 5 and kenpom ratings in order 96 96 66 134 62. Rice had us 76 1 year and nothing other than that in top 100 since he left
4. He recruited Quincy Douby (did he have a hand in H?)
5. Rutgers was on the bubble in late February 3 of his 5 years...that term hasn't been uttered since

The FIG class was MAYBE mediocre at best. Inman had the most upside but was always a lot better in his own mind than he ever showed on the court. I liked Farmer but he was was a serviceable BIg East guard. Nothing more. Griffin was a role player who didn't do anything particularly well. But I will give them props for being 4 year players which is a rarity these days.
This post was edited on 2/24 1:21 PM by ColonelRutgers

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:
A few points and things to consider to MADHATs post

1. Waters brings in a very good FIG class and only got 1 year to coach them
2. If Waters is only a good at mid major level...that is mostly likely coaching pool we fish from
3. 3 winning seasons out of 5 and kenpom ratings in order 96 96 66 134 62. Rice had us 76 1 year and nothing other than that in top 100 since he left
4. He recruited Quincy Douby (did he have a hand in H?)
5. Rutgers was on the bubble in late February 3 of his 5 years...that term hasn't been uttered since
#1) We can give Gary the credit, but think it was Freddie that brought those recruits in.
#2) Waters didn't prove , after moving up, that he belonged in a major conference .
#3) 1 year even( first year 8-8) and rest losing ones makes Gary not the right man for a Big East Conference team's
HC if you want to be one of the better BE programs.
# 4) Need to recruit more than one real good player to make a program a constant winner . But will admit:
Waters could develop less talented players into ones that would play better than their talent level to make the team
look better, even when losing.
#5) Being on the bubble 3 of 5 years ,having a losing record the other two and not making Tourney one time in those 5 years is something some schools consider unacceptable. If memory serves me correct: a lot of RU MBB fans at the time felt Waters couldn't bring RU to the promised land and wanted him replaced.

My thoughts:
Waters was a good game-day coach that could keep Rutgers competitive , but not a constant winner or Dance material on his own. Coaching-wise I think ( with talent) he'd do it, but not with the type of players he could get on his own.
If Mulcahy wasn't dead set on getting rid of Gary and moving Fred Hill into the HC position ,Waters would have made Rutgers
a Tourney team with the recruits Freddie brought in.
Waters fate was set, in my opinion, the moment Hill was hired as an assistant, because ( again only my opinion) Mulcahy
brought Freddie in to replace Gary the first chance Mulcahy could find a way to push Gary out.
Hill was not hired to help Waters succeed as much as to replace him. One way or another Mulcahy would make Freddie HC.

I like Bob Mulcahy for what he done for the FB program, but the way he treated Gary Waters was a disgrace and I'm sure I am not the only one who thinks that.

Unfortunately the status quo will continue until something forces the administrations hand. They will keep providing a terrible product as long as the RAC gets resonable crowds and season tickets/donations keep getting sold. Remember when they had Giant and Jet ticket burnings in the Meadowlands in the 70's? I'll cheer the seniors and players loudly but if a chant of "Eddie must go" starts up, can't say I wouldn't be tempted to join in. I'm sure he's a great guy but completely unqualified and overmatched for this job. The fans need to send a message.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT