ADVERTISEMENT

There should be a mandatory $1200/yr NIL donation for every season ticket in the 100’s

Kyk pro raising taxes on those who can afford it for the betterment of the greater good. The irony so strong
Haha see my last post. Youre reaching harder than ever and thats saying something for you cali brah. This thread is about supply and demand which couldnt be further from being any kind of equivalence to taxes.

youre not too bright of a gal huh?

Lol has literally nothing to do with this thread or even topic. What you shouldve said is, “you believe in basic econ 101 of supply and demand?”.

But to answer your question, the rich pay way too much in taxes. In fact, the top 25% of wage earners pay 71% of all federal taxes while the bottom 50% pay just 4% of all federal taxes (in fact they net pay negative taxes, see chart below) Seems like a raw deal for the rich. Facts suck bruh

We should have one flat tax rate of 20% for all. Would still be unfair to the rich though as the $1,000,000/yr earner would pay $200K in taxes while receiving very little in return while the $30K/yr earner would pay $6K and get a lotttttt more than the person who paid $200K. Kindve a raw deal. The rich are abused

cc: @Scangg
No one would take a flat tax of 20% seriously. It's a massive tax hike on the poor. In a time where we haven't seen this level of wealth inequality since right before the great depression, your solution is to lower taxes on the rich and raise them on the poor. Just a wild thought process. You want to tax someone making 30 grand 6k. How do you expect them to pay for food and shelter? It would drive more people into poverty.

If i wanted to argue with right wing nuts I'd be posting on the CE board. Obviously we won't agree

Haha see my last post. Youre reaching harder than ever and thats saying something for you cali brah. This thread is about supply and demand which couldnt be further from being any kind of equivalence to taxes.

youre not too bright of a gal huh?
I'm smarter than you. You can refer to me as Dr. Scangg if that helps remind you

I can understand you're need to try to feel smarter with all your terrible takes on Pike and the program. This year's team is less talented than what Eddie Jordan left us right? Etc etc etc

The hottest ticket in NJ is 100 level basketball tickets for RU basketball. If you look at the secondary market demand RU 100’s level tickets are more expensive not only than college but also every local pro team.

My best estimate is that there is only about 1500 total tickets in the 100’s, with such high demand for them, it is a sure thing that there is a market for these tix is a mandatory $1200/year NIL donation was associated with them.

Will the current season tix holders in the 100’s complain? Yes.

Will some current season ticket holders in the 100’s give them up and move to the 200’s or give up season tix all together? Yes.

Does the above matter? No. There is more than enough demand to take their tickets.

1500 tickets at $1200/yr each would be $1.8mm/yr to buy players. That would afford us talent to compete for final 4’s and 1-4 seeds in the tourney. Many wont admit it but if given the choice of watching a bubble team from the 100’s or a final 4 contender from the 200’s or on tv, theyd gladly take the final 4 contender.

Now that the school is allowed to discuss NIL with fans, this should be implemented immediately for the 2023-2024 season tickets.
There is already a mandatory donation per seat donation of $550 in the 100 sections. You want $1,200 on top of that?!

Reactions: ru66 and Mr Magoo
There's going to be 10K Penn State fans invading Rutgers Stadium this Saturday at 330 and while those season ticket holders who sell their seats to Michigan, Iowa or Penn State fans are given a free pass,......???

What's amazing is the number of people who are perfectly okay with this.

No one would take a flat tax of 20% seriously. It's a massive tax hike on the poor. In a time where we haven't seen this level of wealth inequality since right before the great depression, your solution is to lower taxes on the rich and raise them on the poor. Just a wild thought process. You want to tax someone making 30 grand 6k. How do you expect them to pay for food and shelter? It would drive more people into poverty.

If i wanted to argue with right wing nuts I'd be posting on the CE board. Obviously we won't agree

I'm smarter than you. You can refer to me as Dr. Scangg if that helps remind you

I can understand you're need to try to feel smarter with all your terrible takes on Pike and the program. This year's team is less talented than what Eddie Jordan left us right? Etc etc etc
Gigantic L by you here. Whoooof

going to dm you my phone number since this is off topic and has nothing to do with the thread. If you wanna get educated shoot me a text with what times work for you for a call

Last edited by a moderator:
There's going to be 10K Penn State fans invading Rutgers Stadium this Saturday at 330 and while those season ticket holders who sell their seats to Michigan, Iowa or Penn State fans are given a free pass,......??? Instead let's go after the only one thing between football and basketball that is going well at RU and its the RAc and focus energy there trying to raise NIL money???

How about figuring out how to keep the opposing fans out of our stadium and tying that to NIL to help buy Chase Bisontis....?? The kid who is only going to Texas A&M, despite everything imploding down there and won't even consider another RU visit. Aren't there like significantly more football season tickets to worry about that can raise the money needed?? For every PSU fan that is in the stadium, charge them $200 bucks per seat.

200 x 15K is 3M.....imagine if RU or kyk thought about these things for football and we rolled this out for all the Michigan fans here 2 weeks ago.....?? There's another 3 to 4M out the window for NIL....

By the end of the RU football season, you'd raise 10M, just on other teams fans entering the stadium.....add another surcharge to them for beers, parking and the new facilities would be built in no time....!!!
You do realize that theres about 17K tix available for sale to the public for football, right? Every single season tix holder could attend + every single student section seat taken and thered still be 17K seats available for sale to the public

There's going to be 10K Penn State fans invading Rutgers Stadium this Saturday at 330 and while those season ticket holders who sell their seats to Michigan, Iowa or Penn State fans are given a free pass,......??? Instead let's go after the only one thing between football and basketball that is going well at RU and its the RAc and focus energy there trying to raise NIL money???

How about figuring out how to keep the opposing fans out of our stadium and tying that to NIL to help buy Chase Bisontis....?? The kid who is only going to Texas A&M, despite everything imploding down there and won't even consider another RU visit. Aren't there like significantly more football season tickets to worry about that can raise the money needed?? For every PSU fan that is in the stadium, charge them $200 bucks per seat.

200 x 15K is 3M.....imagine if RU or kyk thought about these things for football and we rolled this out for all the Michigan fans here 2 weeks ago.....?? There's another 3 to 4M out the window for NIL....

By the end of the RU football season, you'd raise 10M, just on other teams fans entering the stadium.....add another surcharge to them for beers, parking and the new facilities would be built in no time....!!!

Something tells me there will be many more than 10K Penn State fans.

Think 15-20K.

Reactions: RutgersK1d
Szn tix in the 100’s is basically just an inheritance, you cant get them
I think this concept is what leads to so much of the board disagreement. We have great seats that are in the high demand you’re talking about, but for years and years prior to Pikiell you couldn’t give them away. The 100s section during those days were still mostly filled with the same people who stuck by the program and own them today. the 200s and up were lucky to have 100 fans in them during the Eddie years. Only time it filled up we’re away fans taking over our gym.

you’re now suggesting that those fans who paid the thousands for the seats and donations along the way must give even more or move aside because the fair weather fans are ready to open their wallets.

Someone mentioned it before but they charge $550 as a seat donation.

so they should remove that and direct it to the NIL fund (with a wink wink so they don’t get in trouble) and there’s half the money you are looking for

I think this concept is what leads to so much of the board disagreement. We have great seats that are in the high demand you’re talking about, but for years and years prior to Pikiell you couldn’t give them away. The 100s section during those days were still mostly filled with the same people who stuck by the program and own them today. the 200s and up were lucky to have 100 fans in them during the Eddie years. Only time it filled up we’re away fans taking over our gym.

you’re now suggesting that those fans who paid the thousands for the seats and donations along the way must give even more or move aside because the fair weather fans are ready to open their wallets.
I just view it as a business and just simple supply and demand. Those same people can still go to games if they wouldnt want to pay it, theyd just sit a tad further away. Which, I’m sure if youre a diehard RU fan and you were given the choice of watch a legitimate final 4 contender from the 200’s where the starting 5 is making $250K+/yr or watch a perpetual bubble team from the 100’s most would gladly choose the 200’s

I just view it as a business and just simple supply and demand. Those same people can still go to games if they wouldnt want to pay it, theyd just sit a tad further away. Which, I’m sure if youre a diehard RU fan and you were given the choice of watch a legitimate final 4 contender from the 200’s where the starting 5 is making $250K+/yr or watch a perpetual bubble team from the 100’s most would gladly choose the 200’s
So let me counter with this point. Okay so the NCAA somehow allows schools to organize an NIL fund to get it's mens basketball team compensated in your proposal.

If it get's done at Rutgers what stops every other school from doing it?

Then we are back at square one, because we can't afford to keep up now, we aren't going to afford to keep up then. In your proposal there is no bidding war against other schools.

Man we have some cheap ass fans.

"I'd sell". Yea, that's the point. We don't want you there. We want the givers to the program rewarded. So please, by all means, sell and get your cheap asses back up into the nosebleeds where you belong.

I don’t mean to be long winded but there are several things there that I feel are wrong. First, your plan is to isolate your most loyal fans who are also your largest donors. Many are connected and know each other. It’s very different to donate on your terms than to be told cough up this amount or we’re downgrading your seats. Most would say FU, not sure let’s move up. The school has many seats reserved for family members and guests. If there was a person willing to cut a big enough check I promise they’d have the seats they want in the 100s. You’re not going to isolate your best fans for $1400/yr.

Second, you’re making the assumption that buying players will lead to the final four. For every example of top rated kid that succeeds I can list you 5 that flame out. Would you have given big money to Jabri Abdul rahim, Scottie Lewis, Bryan Antoine, trey Patterson, CJ Wilcher? Consensus Top 50 kids that wouldn’t have sniffed the NIT together. It’s a false choice.

Pikiell is showing you year after year the importance of fit and player development. Youre proposing a never ending bidding/shoe deal war against blue blood for one and done type talent that many times have average college careers and don’t win a damn thing.

I don’t mean to be long winded but there are several things there that I feel are wrong. First, your plan is to isolate your most loyal fans who are also your largest donors. Many are connected and know each other. It’s very different to donate on your terms than to be told cough up this amount or we’re downgrading your seats. Most would say FU, not sure let’s move up. The school has many seats reserved for family members and guests. If there was a person willing to cut a big enough check I promise they’d have the seats they want in the 100s. You’re not going to isolate your best fans for $1400/yr.

Second, you’re making the assumption that buying players will lead to the final four. For every example of top rated kid that succeeds I can list you 5 that flame out. Would you have given big money to Jabri Abdul rahim, Scottie Lewis, Bryan Antoine, trey Patterson, CJ Wilcher? Consensus Top 50 kids that wouldn’t have sniffed the NIT together. It’s a false choice.

Pikiell is showing you year after year the importance of fit and player development. Youre proposing a never ending bidding/shoe deal war against blue blood for one and done type talent that many times have average college careers and don’t win a damn thing.
This guy gets it ^^. Yea if you told me that we could land Kyrie Kat MKG Kyle Anderson or Cliff/Ron every year then ok. But what happens when we get stuck with the guys who do nothing as mentioned above.

👎

Instead of pinching their existing high donors and season tickets holders, RU has to find ways to be more creative in revenue generating sports by increasing gross margin.

Not charging admission for the B1G soccer tournament was head scratching.

On a larger stage, Football needs to win a lot more game so fans will actually buy tickets instead of expecting freebies.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Let's keep politics off the hoops board, please. We all bleed scarlet.

Even if this idea were allowed, which many are saying it isn't... It seems like a very short-sighted idea to alienate portions of your long-term donor fanbase if they are not willing to now shell out a lot more money to maintain their seats.

Let's keep politics off the hoops board, please. We all bleed scarlet.

Even if this idea were allowed, which many are saying it isn't... It seems like a very short-sighted idea to alienate portions of your long-term donor fanbase if they are not willing to now shell out a lot more money to maintain their seats.
Agreed was a very weird response be @ColonelRutgers and @Scangg .

If the 100’s crowd is already donating to NIL its just a nothingburger. Definitely need to mix up that crowd though. Theres a lot of low energy people sitting on their hands in the 100’s

Reactions: Myrtleknight
This tired refrain that the people in the 100 level, who have generally been supporting the athletic departments both with their wallets and with fannies in the seats through decades of losing, are the ones that need to step up is a perfect example of why fundraising is so poor. Everyone's always pointing to someone else to step up, waiting for the fairy goddonor to come down and foot the bill. EVERYONE needs to step up. If I had a dollar for every time the 100s are singled out to pay more, I'd be able to buy more tickets in the 100s. If I had a dollar for every time it was suggested that people in the 200 level pay more, I'd be broke. There are people on this board who never posted once on the basketball board or regularly attended games that jumped on board in the last 3 years. What happens if the program slips for a year or two as would be normal with any program? Will these new fans continue to support the program, go to games, buy concessions, pay for parking, donate to the athletic department and NIL collectives?

Is there even a donation requirement for season tickets in the 200s and, if so, how much is it? What's the cost of season tickets in the second level (which by the way is still a damn good seat for a college basketball game - compare it to the seating areas at other more modern venues)?

As far as football is concerned, the way to keep opposing fans out of the stadium is to produce a football team that is capable of fielding at least as a semi-competent offense. This program has not had anything resembling that since Gary Nova graduated which is almost a decade ago. It's simply a horrible, hopeless unentertaining experience. We've won, what, ONE Big Ten game at home in 4 or 5 years? We're lucky there are even some Rutgers fans with tickets to re-sell to opposing fans.
There is no per seat donation requirement in the 200's

Lol has literally nothing to do with this thread or even topic. What you shouldve said is, “you believe in basic econ 101 of supply and demand?”.

But to answer your question, the rich pay way too much in taxes. In fact, the top 25% of wage earners pay 71% of all federal taxes while the bottom 50% pay just 4% of all federal taxes (in fact they net pay negative taxes, see chart below) Seems like a raw deal for the rich. Facts suck bruh

We should have one flat tax rate of 20% for all. Would still be unfair to the rich though as the $1,000,000/yr earner would pay $200K in taxes while receiving very little in return while the $30K/yr earner would pay $6K and get a lotttttt more than the person who paid $200K. Kindve a raw deal. The rich are abused

cc: @Scangg
No one cares, buddy. Lighten up.

Reactions: red sail
Something tells me there will be many more than 10K Penn State fans.

Think 15-20K.

Sadly I'm afraid you could be correct.

I just view it as a business ...

And that's where you're wrong. It is NOT a business. For I and many, many fans, this is our alma mater, and we go to enjoy watching and supporting our teams and to share in the camaraderie with our fellow alums. If you make it a business and drive out all of the loyal alumni, not only is the University likely to lose their support in myriad different areas, when the team tanks and all the fair weather fans flee, these people will NOT come back.

Reactions: LETSGORU91

And that's where you're wrong. It is NOT a business. For I and many, many fans, this is our alma mater, and we go to enjoy watching and supporting our teams and to share in the camaraderie with our fellow alums. If you make it a business and drive out all of the loyal alumni, not only is the University likely to lose their support in myriad different areas, when the team tanks and all the fair weather fans flee, these people will NOT come back.
College sports is big business. Colleges that dont treat it like a business are left in the dust. Facts

College sports is big business. Colleges that dont treat it like a business are left in the dust. Facts
Businesses are in a competitive marketplace, and customers are price-sensitive. Raise prices too high and alternate forms of entertainment come into play, including staying home and watching on TV or losing interest entirely. Remember when the US government decided to impose a 10% luxury tax on boats over $100k, under the assumption that rich people have the money and will pay it? It singlehandedly killed the boating industry and had such a deleterious effect that they repealed the tax. Here's an excerpt from this linked article:

"In 1990 a 10% luxury tax was applied to boats in the U.S. and the results were disastrous. Over 25,000 boating industry jobs were lost and a tax that was supposed to generate millions of additional government revenue actually cost the government revenue. Fortunately, Congress was quick to acknowledge the damage they were causing, and the tax was repealed. Unfortunately, before the repeal was enacted it severely damaged many American families."

Reactions: MiloTalon13

The AD is one turning it into a business.
AD is going to be receiving $100mil/year in media revenue and still require "loyal alumni" to pay "mandatory donations" then the AD

Businesses are in a competitive marketplace, and customers are price-sensitive. Raise prices too high and alternate forms of entertainment come into play, including staying home and watching on TV or losing interest entirely. Remember when the US government decided to impose a 10% luxury tax on boats over $100k, under the assumption that rich people have the money and will pay it? It singlehandedly killed the boating industry and had such a deleterious effect that they repealed the tax. Here's an excerpt from this linked article:

"In 1990 a 10% luxury tax was applied to boats in the U.S. and the results were disastrous. Over 25,000 boating industry jobs were lost and a tax that was supposed to generate millions of additional government revenue actually cost the government revenue. Fortunately, Congress was quick to acknowledge the damage they were causing, and the tax was repealed. Unfortunately, before the repeal was enacted it severely damaged many American families."
We’ll have to disagree. Just look at the prices on the secondary markets for 100 level tickets. Its the hottest ticket in the new york tristate. More expensive thank knicks, nets, sixers, rangers, isles, devils, flyers

I thought you said Pike’s upside was sweet 16? I have never seen anyone straddle both sides as much as Kyk

Last edited:
Let’s get real, the problem with the 100s level fans is that they suck as fans in the stands and they don’t buy our players in NIL. If they did either or nobody would care.

I thought you said Pike’s upside was sweet 16? I have never seen anyone straddle both sides as much as Kyk
Elite talent in bball covers up any and all even slight coaching deficiencies.

Let’s get real, the problem with the 100s level fans is that they suck as fans in the stands and they don’t buy our players in NIL. If they did either or nobody would care.
^This is one of the absolute worst takes I’ve seen on these boards in a long time. You’re saying the reason the RAC is one of the loudest and most difficult places to play in the country is the fans in the 200-300 level are making all the noise, while the people in the 100’s sedately watch the games? As for the money, you clearly have no clue who sits in those seats and the tens of millions they’ve donated to facilities and other projects for athletics.

Listen I get it....I do....but my dad has had seats in the 100's since THE RAC opened (as have others). That being said...he's paid his dues...the # of AWFUL years he's ponied up for 4, and now 2 tickets, is staggering. And please don't say "well he can move..."...he's been in the front row since a few years before I was at RU - that's A LONG TIME, lol - and is gonna be 85 in 2 weeks. You just can't do that to some of these long-time fans. They've endured way, way, way too much IMHO.

It's the 100's of 1000's of alumni out there who give not a dime to the university, let alone athletics, that need to be somehow, someway, cultivated into giving for one thing or another and it should begin the day they graduate. My best friend went to BC. The day after he graduated he was set up to donate $25/month. The next year it was $50. Then $100. By the time he was a decade out he was giving $12,800 yearly without even thinking about it for a split second. Married with 2 kids on Long Island and he gives that same amount, yearly, still, and doesn't make that much at all (his wife is a vet, her money goes to Miss State). Most of the guys and girls he graduated with give double or triple that if not more. My buddy, btw, has been to exactly ONE BC sporting event in the last, I'd say, 15-years now (the BC Pinstripe Bowl game). The % of alumni we have that give as much, yearly, is likely so low it's mind-numbing. Yes, there are a myriad of reasons as to "why," but most other schools put systems into place a long time ago that simply work.

Now...toss in the NIL...and we've got to reach to an entirely new breed of donors, WITH MONEY, who actually like these sports and/or who can use the "advertising" if you will. That's gonna take more winning, especially in football, which I think we all understand. Most of the people in the 100's -like my dad and his friends - and now 200's, have given, given, and given more than their fare share IMHO.

We’ll have to disagree. Just look at the prices on the secondary markets for 100 level tickets. Its the hottest ticket in the new york tristate. More expensive thank knicks, nets, sixers, rangers, isles, devils, flyers
Those ticket prices are for one-off games, not committed fans, and reflects the nature of a given game in the moment. Those prices were only achievable the last year after we went on our four-game win streak against ranked teams. During the Mike Rice and Eddie Jordan years, as well as the first five years of Pike’s tenure (Covid impacted two of those years), the prices on the secondary market were non-existent because nobody wanted to go to the games other than opposing fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT