ADVERTISEMENT

This board has gone off the deep end

i dont think its unreasonable...we choked a 10 point lead to the one of the worst Big 10 teams ever with 70 seconds to play and did so with a senior roster. Its not like we choked a 10 point lead at Iowa.

Its not unreasonable to have expectations. Some years there will be rebuilding..next year maybe is that year but when you put your ncaa hopes in jeopardy with a bad loss like this while you had bench players who were soft at charmin when they were sitting in the game singing Africa like the game was in the bag, well then the board will be salty tonight

i dont think its unreasonable...we choked a 10 point lead to the one of the worst Big 10 teams ever with 70 seconds to play and did so with a senior roster. Its not like we choked a 10 point lead at Iowa.

Its not unreasonable to have expectations. Some years there will be rebuilding..next year maybe is that year but when you put your ncaa hopes in jeopardy with a bad loss like this while you had bench players who were soft at charmin when they were in the game singing Africa like the game was in the bag, well then the board will be salty tonight
Agreed. While this board (like any) is a little nuts sometimes, tonight is not the night to judge it. We may have just watched this team gag up an NCAA tournament berth to a 1-16 B1G team in 70 seconds.

Most power 5 ncaa basketball programs expect to compete for ncaa bids annually. After we went 30+ years without a bid, you think going to 3 straight is greedy? People should be happy tonight? Honestly, this mentality from boosters and alums is partially how RU wound ip being a crap program bc losing has been acceptable. People should be livid about tonight

Huh?

This isn’t and shouldn’t have been a “rebuilding year”.

Losing Geo and Ron was big but we have enough talent and experience on this roster (albeit maybe just enough) to get back to where we were the last 2 years.

Anything short of that is a disappointment imo.

What does OP expect after having an epic loss to one of the worst teams in the Power 5 and suddenly putting your tournament hopes in jeopardy?

Its not unreasonable to have expectations. Some years there will be rebuilding..next year maybe is that year but when you put your ncaa hopes in jeopardy with a bad loss like this while you had bench players who were soft at charmin when they were sitting in the game singing Africa like the game was in the bag, well then the board will be salty tonight

My comment isn’t only about expectations …

Sone of the crap being written about the players on this team

There is a diffeenxe between basketball criticism and ad hominem …and the later is unnecessarily all Over the place

Huh?

This isn’t and shouldn’t have been a “rebuilding year”.

Losing Geo and Ron was big but we have enough talent and experience on this roster (albeit maybe just enough) to get back to where we were the last 2 years.

Anything short of that is a disappointment imo.

What does OP expect after having an epic loss to one of the worst teams in the Power 5 and suddenly putting your tournament hopes in jeopardy?

How about talking baskerball without sone of the crap being mentioned ???

Big difference….

Reactions: new jersey1
Or is this one of those threads where someone is targeting a specific couple of posts but they make it super general so everyone thinks it's about them.

If you're talking board mood as a whole, our reaction is justified.

If you're talking a few isolated posts, well then quote them or at least call out their specific content.

How about talking baskerball without sone of the crap being mentioned ???

Big difference….

Okay I agree the personal attacks on players don’t belong on the board.

But getting back to your OP - this isn’t and shouldn’t be a “rebuilding year”.

There is a diffeenxe bwtween a meltdown …and some the venom on this forum

I’m pretty much done posting …because , for what the kids put into being on the court , they don’t deserve

Basketball criticism…have at it

Ad hominem …I’m out
Ok?

Seems like you should quote the posts or specific posters or this is all pointless. I mean, if it's coming from the usual cast of trolls then what are you expecting? If it's coming from normally reasonable posters should be easy to point them out.

I came on the board late tonight after watching on a delay and honestly it's pretty tame compared to what I was expecting.

The criticism I'm reading is fair and justified. Then again I have a bunch of trolls on ignore so maybe I'm missing some of the nonsense you're referring to.

Hey, look on the bright side. Maybe we'll sneak in as an 11 seed, somehow end up in Albany and go on a little run!

I came on the board late tonight after watching on a delay and honestly it's pretty tame compared to what I was expecting.

The criticism I'm reading is fair and justified. Then again I have a bunch of trolls on ignore so maybe I'm missing some of the nonsense you're referring to.

Hey, look on the bright side. Maybe we'll squeak in as an 11 seed, somehow end up in Albany and go on a little run!
This.

Most of the time people are PISSED, the trolls are on their A-games, it's terrible. Tonight everyone's just depressed.

I dont know most of the criticism is fair and not personal attacks. Its alot of stuff people have felt has been going on but the board doesnt like to criticize..there are some major issues with this roster

There have always been issues with this roster

Wake up!!!

We have seven players …and one is out and now it’s 6

This is why we are a solid tongood team …and not a great team.

For every Minnesota , there is a PSU comeback

For Purdue , there was Miami on the road

We forget we got Indiana without drew , but then can’t discuss we lost mag

There is highs and lows in this meat grinder …and we get way too unglued when something negative happens

Wake up!!!

There is highs and lows in this meat grinder …and we get way too unglued when something negative happens
People do come unglued but you are understating how bad the end of that game was. That's an order of magnitude less likely comeback than RU at PSU was. That doesn't even out any time soon.

Wake up!!!

So your issue is simply specifically calling out deficiencies from players on the court. You don’t want players held accountable. No one called anyone’s personal character into question; you just don’t like a player being called out. Not how it works.

It’s not a “rebuilding year” when you’re one game away from clinching a NCAA tournament spot and all you need to do is beat a hapless 7-20 Big Ten team. Asking people to keep perspective when we’re THIS close is silly. Of course people are bugging out

Okay I agree the personal attacks on players don’t belong on the board.

But getting back to your OP - this isn’t and shouldn’t be a “rebuilding year”.

I didn’t say this was a rebuilding year

What I have said was this is a thin roster since day one and it requires staying healthy to thread the needle

People do come unglued but you are understating how bad the end of that game was. That's an order of magnitude less likely comeback than RU at PSU was. That doesn't even out any time soon.

And you just made my point

Go ask any PSU hoops fan about the game from their perspectives …and they would call that game a meltdown of biblical proportions

Perspectives change depending on the hat you wear and the lenses you choose you use

As much as a meltdown people says we has ..no one wants to credit minny for hanging around and making tough shots ???

Sure , we made mistakes , but they were also good enough to hit four three in the end game

People need to look at it both ways ….

Go ask any PSU hoops fan about the game from their perspectives …and they would call that game a meltdown of biblical proportions

Perspectives change depending on the hat you wear and the lenses you choose you use

As much as a meltdown people says we has ..no one wants to credit minny for hanging around and making tough shots ???

Sure , we made mistakes , but they were also good enough to hit four three in the end game

You are every reason from an alum/fan standpoint that RU sucked for decades. If you don’t demand excellence, you don’t get it. Time to expect more.

I don't mean it as a matter of perspective. I mean if you look at actual estimates of how likely it is to happen, PSU was like 3% at the lowest point and this was like 0.3% at the lowest point. This isn't actually that relevant to anything, as only the final state matters. But it impacts the reaction. The more sure people are of victory the more shocked and angry they'll be when it doesn't happen.

You are every reason from an alum/fan standpoint that RU sucked for decades. If you don’t demand excellence, you don’t get it. Time to expect more.
I don't think message board meltdowns directly impact future winning.

Of course I am

Having sone balance of course means I don’t expect more ….and

Schmuck answer

I don't think message board meltdowns directly impact future winning.

Insofar as holding the programs to high expectations they do. RU fans have been ok with losing for way too long. The reverse reaction via $ and voice puts pressure on administration to react accordingly. If no one cares, why should they? RU fans need to demand excellence, not be ok with mediocrity, which has been done for decades and why RU has had very minimal success.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Of course I am

Schmuck answer

Then good for you, be happy as an also ran. Hopefully for you, the ncaa starts to hand out participation trophies. Oh, and carry on being a schmuck.

exactly...shack i love you but you posted about a rebuilding year and that does not make sense, what does that have to do with tonight

What it means is that this fan base , I think really doesn’t understand what a meat grinder this confrnce is …and each league game is FIVE percent of the confrence schedule…and 20 games really gets your performance to close to your reality

You are what your record says you are

You aren’t winning 14 games in this confrende being anything less than a top 15 team …but people just want to say, this play here and that play there and we could be that

Yet …

We are 5-4 in last minute games …pretty competitive if you ask me

We melt down .:.and yet people are thrown themselves off the tiantic

We beat Purdue…and the expectations soar

Hint …reverse Purdue and Minnesota…we are still 10-9!!!

Then good for you, be happy as an also ran. Hopefully for you, the ncaa starts to hand out participation trophies. Oh, and carry on being a schmuck.
Scarlet Shack is not on the team. He won't be getting any trophies from the NCAA, participation or otherwise.

Scarlet Shack is not on the team. He won't be getting any trophies from the NCAA, participation or otherwise.

Let me put it this way; do donors and alums impact a program? Of course they do. Probably more than any single group. RU fans, alums, and donors have been lax forever and it’s a huge reason why RU sports has lagged. The fanbase needs to constantly ask and expect more or nothing moves forward. Do you think Alabama donors and fans are good with mediocrity? Of course not and they’re vocal about it. Does that have something to do with their level of excellence? Damn right it does. My point is tonight’s result shouldn’t be ok. I’m not advocating for personal attacks on players but should people be held accountable; absolutely. Tonight should be totally unacceptable and standards need to be raised. Raised expectations come, often, from the alums/donors/fanbase.

I’m tired of RU fans being ok with losing, plain and simple. Culture changes fully, when it’s no longer ok.

Last edited:
Insofar as holding the programs to high expectations they do. RU fans have been ok with losing for way too long. The reverse reaction via $ and voice puts pressure on administration to react accordingly. If no one cares, why should they? RU fans need to demand excellence, not be ok with mediocrity, which has been done for decades and why RU has had very minimal success.
Of course I am

Schmuck answer

Okay …so what were your expectations for his season ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT